Dramatic Cut In Visa Extensions

Yes, indeedy mate. But some people don't know a Visa stamp from a Visa sticker from a Consulate or Embassy.

Also for Thailand it generally just says: admitted until and then the date. Yes, it doesn't happen often, but I've had many people say "but the Consulate said I'd be good for 90 days on entry", but fail to mention the fact that you need to get the 30 day extension. I've also heard of the odd person (very rare) getting a 90 day tourist stamp on entry ('cos they had a tourist stamp/sticker from a Con/Emb!).

Just my observations and experiences, nowt more!

I think that the misunderstandings stem from the validity period of 90 days from the date of visa issue in which entry into Thailand must be made.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm off to get my visa next week here in Amsterdam. Their website says I can buy the following :

From 26 August 2003 the following visa prices are valid:

Tourist 1 entry Euro 30,- valid; 3 months

stay; 60 days

2 entries Euro 60,- valid; 6 months

stay; 2 x 60 days

3 entries Euro 90,- valid; 6 months

stay; 3 x 60 days

Id. Every 60 days you have to leave the country (pass the border).

I'm still assuming that I will be able to extend my visa at Samui Immigration by 30 days at the end of my first 60, but I might check first just in case I have to follow these rules and 'pass the border'.

Just got the

2 entries Euro 60,- valid; 6 months

stay; 2 x 60 days

issued at the consulate in Amsterdam no problem, no requirement to show flights, just dropped off the passports and collect them with the visas at 12:00.

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to share my experience about extension visas. I just got 30 days of extension here in Bangkok, Suangpluh immigration office. No hassles, no long queues, no paper work...nothing, just as simple as I'm telling you.

You should pay 1.900 baths, fotocopy of your passport and entry card and fill up the respective form and that's it.

I always check the forum to update myself about what I need and to be honest, I was somehow confuse and a bit worry about my extension, as I was reading so many things about it in the forum. I think the best thing to do is just to tell the others about our own experiences and try to avoid speculations!

Ahhh this is my first extension visa but not my first visa, I get already 3 tourist visas in a row, and so far so good! :o

Ahhh this is my first extension visa but not my first visa, I get already 3 tourist visas in a row, and so far so good!

Whether this info is significant or not,

would surely depend on where you got

the three visas and when.

I would suggest that if they were all obtained

in your Home Country then that would not be so

significant as compared to obtaining them in a neighbouring

country within days of the previous one expiring ...

Maybe you could enlighten us

Thanks for sharing your extension experience.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
Ahhh this is my first extension visa but not my first visa, I get already 3 tourist visas in a row, and so far so good!

Roger

Roger

My first visa was in my home country, the second one was in KL 1 day before my current visa expired and my 3er visa was in Penang

I think you are hoist on your own petard.

Tourist visa's are not intended for long-timers!!

They are intended for tourists, and the immigration has been quite tolerant of the over use of these visas.

tourist visa's have been intended for long-timers for 20 years.

this sudden shift represents a dramatic change in practice by Thai Immigration.

These visa may have been abused for 20 years, and now the

Immigration authorities are clamping down, so you cannot complain.

I see a lot of people saying you should not abuse the system, but we are talking about a country that has a wonderful record of non corruption, straight talk & fair play right? I know how it works here, 14 years of experience, i have never abused the system i have played it they way it worked, with any new changes i will change too, or have to leave, but please stop saying dont abuse the system as if it was in fact a system...! I love Thailand, Thai people, i have a healthy respect for the cultural differences, but System haha. If Thai officials want me to respect it, they could start by doing the same thing LOL....