Why Are Tuk-tuks So Noisy?

altman

they are basically just a moto-bike on three wheels so they shouldn't sound significantly different.

but everyone of them is loud. it may just be that they don't have a muffler, but if that is the case why not?

if they are trying to be noticed by being noisy they somewhat lose the point when they are all loud, don't they?

they are basically just a moto-bike on three wheels so they shouldn't sound significantly different.

but everyone of them is loud.

I haven't checked, but they sound like two-strokes to me. Two-stroke engines are noisier and qualitatively different in sound from four-stroke engines.

but everyone of them is loud.

I haven't checked, but they sound like two-strokes to me. Two-stroke engines are noisier and qualitatively different in sound from four-stroke engines.

Running on LPG, one would think that the engine exhausts less pollution that regular bikes, doesn't seem like the case. 4 stroke engine using NGV would be the ideal choice. but like the OP stated, it wouldn't sound like a "Tuk Tuk" anymore. :o

Loud Tuk-Tuks.....How can you even ask?

It's because the guys enjoy it along with the shouting salespeople in supermarkets, the all night Karaoke, the "entertainment" on buses, the performers in your local moo-ka-ta (sp?), the village Head Man who reaches for the mike at 6.30, the dogs (but only after midnight), the announcements at the airport, the monk with the loudhailer, the monk with the mike, the purgatory that's the waiting area for the movies at Airport Plaza, the Boys with the Bikes and I could go on....

The only time when I'm surprised is when I ask my girlfriend, happily watching the subtitles of an English movie on TV, to turn the volume up above a whisper and she says "What's the matter? Are you going deaf?"

Gere lau... :o

Edited by Greenside

They are two strokes, but this doesn't mean they have to be noisier, it's just a bad silencing system. This is compounded by the higher frequency of the 2-stroke exhaust note, an equally loud 4-stroke does not bother me much at all, tuk-tuks drive me insane, I hate them with a vengance.

On the polution front, 2-strokes have a total loss lubrication system, all the oil put into them is burned and comes out of the exhaust, hence the cloud of blue smoke behind old or badly adjusted engines. The idea that tuk-tuks are " clean " because they use LPG is a nonsense.

It's because the guys enjoy it along with the shouting salespeople in supermarkets, the all night Karaoke, the "entertainment" on buses, the performers in your local moo-ka-ta (sp?), the village Head Man who reaches for the mike at 6.30, the dogs (but only after midnight), the announcements at the airport, the monk with the loudhailer, the monk with the mike, the purgatory that's the waiting area for the movies at Airport Plaza, the Boys with the Bikes and I could go on....

The only time when I'm surprised is when I ask my girlfriend, happily watching the subtitles of an English movie on TV, to turn the volume up above a whisper and she says "What's the matter? Are you going deaf?"

Yep!

:D

• 8 months later...

Greenside, you have just about got them all. :D Funny if it were not so true!

Actually Greenside, you missed my favorite, the girls at the Tesco and Big C aggressively pushing 10 varieties of awful tasting hot dogs n sausages over the loudspeakers while you try n shop the meat n produce sections. Overall, the noise adds up to bringing a place to life and making it 'sanuk.' Is it any wonder that in a place waking up to the idea of pollution and preventability that noise pollution is not yet on the table ?

And actually, almost a pleasure to ride behind an LPG tukkie compared to those running diesel. No fumes. Still noisy as hel_l, but I can breathe. Very nice. Been noticing this difference since prices for gas went crazy last year.

Btw, Tuk-tuks take their name as an onomatopoeia for the sound the exhaust pipes make 'tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk.' Can't go losing their namesake now can they ?

Btw, Tuk-tuks take their name as an onomatopoeia for the sound the exhaust pipes make 'tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk.' Can't go losing their namesake now can they ?

Hi,

Really ? I thought it was because of using their horn twice 'tuk-tuk' when they need to attract your attention ...

Anyway, if I am not wrong, I noticed that when I am in Bangkok, their is not so much smoke on the back of the tuk-tuks ... maybe better engines ...

It's a sad fact that Thailand, amongst others, is a nation of noise polluters. It's a shame for tourists who come to what they think is a quiet peaceful tropical paradise only to subjected to a noise level greater than their home environment that they thought to escape.

Read an article some time ago about a island resort that had bungalows right on the beach front. Trouble was the local longtail boat owners would line up along the waters edge at the crack of dawn each morning to tout for business. As non of the longtail boats had any sort of silencer system the racket as they jostled for position was horrendous and brought complaints from guests in the bungalows.

The owners of the bungalows offered the boat owners to pay for fitting silencers to their boat engines but the all refused as they obviously liked to make such a racket. :o

Yep!

:D

:D Excellent observations, ya gotta laff or you'd cry, it is AMAZING !! Leave the tuk-tuks alone. They are a landmark in CM.

It's not the tuk-tuks, it's the old farts sitting on the back-seat, screaming at the way the drivers weave in-and-out of the traffic, who make all the noise ! :D

The som-tam lady assures me, tuk-tuk drivers are recruited from RTAF fighter-pilot rejects, they're the ones who are too reckless to fly combat ! :o