Why Act Like A Thai?

actiondell4

POM:- Prisoner of Mother England, also said as Pom's when referring to the plural, or Pommie if referring to the singular.

This is off the original thread ( aren't they all ) However the great joke in Australia is whingeing poms. Yes, Aussies enjoy a good whinge, clears the air so to speak, but generally they don't dwell on things, the great thing with most Aussies is that they tell it like it is. The pommies have earned the reputation as whingers of the highest order in Australia and I can tell you they have earnt this nametag.

No I don't have an axe to grind, I am dual nationality so I can see both sides.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was involved in Muay Thai in Australia and It is funny to see people wai-ing at the shows it looks so out of place, a lot of the guys have lived and trained in Thailand for many years so it is part and parcel of there lifestyle, but many do it to look authentic.

As for when in Thailand do as the Romans do, my Thai is crap but people appreciate the fact you are trying, if you are in an area where no one speaks English what choice do you have.

----------------

Just pull out some bhat. it's like the universal translating device on Star Trek... :o

ok i may be opening myself up here to be labelled niave but we are all entitled to our view.... :o

I just think the poor guy was probably just trying to fit in, and at least he was making an attempt in a country which wasnt his original home...

It just seems that sometimes u cant do anything right its either we dont do this or they do too much... I dont see the harm in politely correcting people if it offends that much, I know I would be grateful if I done something wrong that I didnt know of and someone gave me advise so i didnt make a t*t of myself

just my personal opinion...

ps not all brits sweat like maniacs and follow the socks and sandles fashion :D

Id like to point out in my last comment when I said “as for the pom” I didn’t mean any negative feeling behind it.

I’m not sure if it has any negativity to it at all.

Just mean Brit, English man, and so on.

Same as call me a Skip?

Aussies invented the Flip Flops didn’t they? I love mine --.-

Its all good in the hood!

Peace

^ Your mate sounds like a <deleted> though.

Yeah he’s a nickel head. But before this gets out of hand.

I mean we dislikes the load obnoxious types. Talking at the top of there voices stupid shit.

Saying wired stuff.

Abusive Thai words.

Any languages it can piss people off.

You know what I mean.

The method of knocking them out is very necessary.

I am very sure anyone on Thai visa dose not fall in to this category

Didn’t mean to indicate that when western speak Thai it ticks him off.

Learning any language is a good skill to have and necessary in Thailand

Peace.

Why should a farang act like a Thai?

I'm in Oz right now and wondering why Thais should act like Ausies. Should they?

I've noticed a lot of Asians eating Ausie Pies and playing the Pokies. There were a couple of guys, of Indian descent, who said "g'day mate" to me. - don't they know how stupid it is to adopt their adopted country's language and customs? I expect them to speak Hindi and charm snakes and say 'namaste' to me.

I'm in Oz right now and wondering why Thais should act like Ausies. Should they?

I've noticed a lot of Asians eating Ausie Pies and playing the Pokies. There were a couple of guys, of Indian descent, who said "g'day mate" to me. - don't they know how stupid it is to adopt their adopted country's language and customs? I expect them to speak Hindi and charm snakes and say 'namaste' to me.

Heh, nice point. I know I like it when people come to live in America and assimilate. As opposed to always sticking to themselves refusing to learn the language, and sending all the money they make back to whatever contry they came from. But then the host country needs to make an effort to reach out as well, and on that point us Americans are definetly lacking behind Thais. Thais definetly try and make us more welcome in their country then we do in ours.

Heh, nice point. I know I like it when people come to live in America and assimilate. As opposed to always sticking to themselves refusing to learn the language, and sending all the money they make back to whatever contry they came from. But then the host country needs to make an effort to reach out as well, and on that point us Americans are definetly lacking behind Thais. Thais definetly try and make us more welcome in their country then we do in ours.

Have you been to Thailand?

Thais, hopefully, make tourists welcome. Other than that they most assuredly don't try harder to welcome immigrants than western countries. (This is neither a good or bad thing ... just reality)

Thais, hopefully, make tourists welcome. Other than that they most assuredly don't try harder to welcome immigrants than western countries. (This is neither a good or bad thing ... just reality)

Are you kidding me? Have you been to America? I have been here in Thailand 7 years. I own property I have my own company, bank acounnts ect. I'm married to a gourgeous wonderful Thai woman from a educated upper middle class family. And all this with mabey 20 or 30 words of Thai in my vocabulary. Had I been a Thai man in America with 30 words of English forget it. Most Americans only speak English with some speaking some spanish because of our proximity to Mexico and the Carribean. You need English to survive there and people will not generaly reach out to you or try to understand your language like Thais do.

Are you kidding me? Have you been to America? I have been here in Thailand 7 years. I own property I have my own company, bank acounnts ect. I'm married to a gourgeous wonderful Thai woman from a educated upper middle class family. And all this with mabey 20 or 30 words of Thai in my vocabulary. Had I been a Thai man in America with 30 words of English forget it. Most Americans only speak English with some speaking some spanish because of our proximity to Mexico and the Carribean. You need English to survive there and people will not generaly reach out to you or try to understand your language like Thais do.

You don't own land. Yes had you been Thai in the US you would have to learn English unless you lived in a Thai ghetto, But you could own land, a business (Americans are the only westerners that can own a Biz here w/o Thai Partners). You, after 7 years are 99.999% likely to be here on a visa where the rules can be changed at any moment etc.

Sure you can survive with almost no Thai here. If you stick to the 'farang' ghettos etc, but your wife would have far greater rights etc in any western country after far less than 7 years!

the father of one of my thai friends once gave me some advice on being in Thailand long term- "Just don't try to be Thai. Be English and you'll be respected for it." Since this advice I have stopped wai'ing when meeting my friends' parents for the first time, the exception being friends from the countryside. Firm handshake for everyone else.

I respect the guy, thought I would share his advice. Like with most things, I'm sure there is a balance to be struck.

I agree with OxfordWill. If the aim (of going native or whatever) is to be respectful to the Thais (and not just being self-indulgent) then you need to look at it from their perpective not a farang perspective.

From the Thai perspective if I go into their home, their community building etc and crouch down then they will not think "hey, that farang guy is cool, he's just like us!" ... What they WILL feel is embarassment that they or no-one else present got you a chair so you did not have to do that. They will then get a chair for you or offer you theirs. You will thank them and sit in it.

Of course there is a balance and different situations to call for different behaviour, but in general as long as you are clean, neat, friendly and polite all is well. No need to do more than that.

Trying to speak Thai is a different matter. If you can get it together to help you communicate, even a few words, then good for you. The tones and different alphabet make it very challenging. But if you are mangling the language just for the sake of attempting one-upmanship .... then yes, you are quite likely to be a bit of a wally.

- CB

the father of one of my thai friends once gave me some advice on being in Thailand long term- "Just don't try to be Thai. Be English and you'll be respected for it." Since this advice I have stopped wai'ing when meeting my friends' parents for the first time, the exception being friends from the countryside. Firm handshake for everyone else.

I respect the guy, thought I would share his advice. Like with most things, I'm sure there is a balance to be struck.

Your friend’s father has a point there.

Some Thai people might look at westerns acting Thai as (sucking up or showing off)

And just acting your normal confident self they will be impressed.

They will find interest in you and maybe want to learn a few things.

Now when I think about it!

I new one guy who Acts Thai so hard. Now he has no friends what so ever I herd.

Also his Thai was very bad last time I new.

People just made fun of him behind his back. I felt kind of sorry for him.

Oh well.

Maybe people don’t like them self’s being western Or being Indian or Thai Or African and try other culture behavior methods.

But I think it will lead to loneliness.

Some might do it to fit in because they are lonely.

Humans are emotional fragile things.

おやすみなさい。!!!!!!!!!

You don't own land. Yes had you been Thai in the US you would have to learn English unless you lived in a Thai ghetto, But you could own land, a business (Americans are the only westerners that can own a Biz here w/o Thai Partners). You, after 7 years are 99.999% likely to be here on a visa where the rules can be changed at any moment etc.

Sure you can survive with almost no Thai here. If you stick to the 'farang' ghettos etc, but your wife would have far greater rights etc in any western country after far less than 7 years!

JD man you lost it. I personally do not own land, I own a company (Amity Treaty) that owns a company, that owns land. I'm on a Non B with my work permit from my own company, until it expires in sept then I will switch to the type O Marriage visa. Can it be changed at any moment?? yeah what ever... foreigners have been living here with their spouses since Jim Thomson, I don't see that changing any time soon. And <deleted> is a Farang Ghetto...man I know what a Ghetto is, I spent a significant part of my childhood in one, same one Will Smith lived in actually :o. And Trust me... were I live now, Samut Prakarn, and were I will when my condo is finished, BTS Thong Lo, are Not Ghettos by any stretch of the word. Fact is the Thais I hang with have significantly better educations than my own and enjoy the opportunity to practice their English with a American. (they tend to prefer the accent over the british one) Thus I really don't need Thai AT ALL. In the US you NEED English or your royally screwed and often times ridiculed. And my wife, without being married to me, would not even be able to get INTO most Western countries without all kinds of bullsh&^ scrutinization and labeling. So as I said, we are made to feel MUCH more accepted for who we are then they would be in most of our countries.

Edited by Huey

JD man you lost it. I personally do not own land, I own a company (Amity Treaty) that owns a company, that owns land. I'm on a Non B with my work permit from my own company, until it expires in sept then I will switch to the type O Marriage visa. Can it be changed at any moment?? yeah what ever... foreigners have been living here with their spouses since Jim Thomson, I don't see that changing any time soon. And <deleted> is a Farang Ghetto...man I know what a Ghetto is, I spent a significant part of my childhood in one, same one Will Smith lived in actually :D . And Trust me... were I live now, Samut Prakarn, and were I will when my condo is finished, BTS Thong Lo, are Not Ghettos by any stretch of the word. Fact is the Thais I hang with have significantly better educations than my own and enjoy the opportunity to practice their English with a American. (they tend to prefer the accent over the british one) Thus I really don't need Thai AT ALL. In the US you NEED English or your royally screwed and often times ridiculed. And my wife, without being married to me, would not even be able to get INTO most Western countries without all kinds of bullsh&^ scrutinization and labeling. So as I said, we are made to feel MUCH more accepted for who we are then they would be in most of our countries.

When you visa and work permit expires can I have your company? :o