Are Foreigners Suspicious?

Just came back from the bank. Deposited some cash on my savings account, which I have with the local bank, but also withdrew money from my account with another of the bank's branches in Bangkok. (I live 'upcountry' since five months.)

So I needed my passport, as I was withdrawing money from a branch in another province. Nothing unusual so far...

But then I experienced something that was new to me. Handing my passport to the bank teller, he immediately checks (no, not my name), but my visa pages!

He even hands the passport to teller #2 (a woman), who also has a good look at my visas. Then they have a good look together, after which teller #2, hands the passport (still having checked the visas only), back to teller #1, who has a look alone. Then teller #2 wants to have a look again, after which she gives back the passport (visa pages still opened) to teller #1, who, finally opens the passport on page 1 to compare the name in the passport with the one in the savings account passbook. Seem, that the 'undercover immigration agents ' where satisfied, as I had not overstayed... :D

So what is going on? Are private banks and the Immigration department working together to crack down on overstayers, etc.??

By the way, teller #1 seemed to have quite a problem to add the cash amount to the withdrawal sum plus a destroyed banknote. He managed, however, to do the calculation within two minutes without a calculator... :o

I doubt they were investigating or checking for anything. Sometimes locals just like to look at stuff. When I first got my Thai id card, I had to present my newly gotten Thai passport (which I got just so I could get my id card) as identification at the amphur along with the approved application papers to the photo and lamination gal (this is the last step in the process). Even though she only had to take a digital photo, print it, and run the thing through the laminator.... she also went through every passport visa page (even though there was only one stamp, an entry stamp into Don Muang!).

I've also seen my truck drivers flipping through my shipping invoices at the airport before handing consignments over to the freight forwarders, even though stock has already been checked and they have no responsibility to do so (all crates are bar coded and the drivers don't even have bar code readers... they just have to make sure everything gets off loaded and handed off to the freight team). They just like to look at stuff as well, and perhaps feel like they are working extra hard.

:o:D

probably checking if you have a non O or B visa.

This bank only allows accounts to non immigrants.

Kasikorn and Bangkok bank allow tourist as well through a loophole.

These are governement regulations.

I'll 2nd this emotion and state that they are making sure everything is kosher

Are you sure that these are Government regulations?

I got Accounts on both Bangkok Bank and TMB earlier this Year with a 30 Day stamp.

I was also in contact with HSBC Thailand about opening an account there, they said no problem with 30 Day permission, too.

In case this is a governemt rule, how can you then apply for Retirement within Thailand?

Sunny

I got Accounts on both Bangkok Bank and TMB earlier this Year with a 30 Day stamp.

I was also in contact with HSBC Thailand about opening an account there, they said no problem with 30 Day permission, too.

Well, as for my experience, yes, you can open a savings account with HSBC with a 30 day stamp. The minimum (opening) balance (back then in 1997) was 1,000 US$, and your account's balance should not fall below this minimum, as you'd have to pay hefty monthly fees for having a lower bank balance.

Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank allow tourists to open savings accounts.

As for Bank of Ayudhya - flip a coin, as every branch seems to have its own rules.

The Thai Military Bank on Phuket refused to open one for me back in 1998.

As for Krung Thai Bank, usually no problem, except at some branches in Bangkok.

The rule is that no normal accounts can be given unless you have a non (x) type visa or a workpermit.

No visa cards (real ones) also.

The workaround is that they don't give you a normal account , but a savings account wich includes a atm card and has all the same possibilities as a normal account :o.

You can get visa card which only works in thailand also but be very carefull!! it's a debit card so if you loose it or it get's frauded you can loose all your money in your savings account !!

i would not take it.

For HSBC check again as i informed in the bangkok office last january.

They don't mind the visa but or ask for a work permit , or ask for an existing hsbc member to vouch for your application.

Citiybank will only make you an account if you have a Workpermit.

The trick is to have the Farang's money sitting in fully thai owned banks only :D

Ayyutaya is more difficult since they request a paper from immigration normally (saying you live on a certain address).

For HSBC check again as i informed in the bangkok office last january.

They don't mind the visa but or ask for a work permit , or ask for an existing hsbc member to vouch for your application.

Wow, that's how internal bank rules can change! Back in 1997 I opened my savings account at HSBC Silom with my passport (30 day stamp "visa") and a U.S. drawn check (of Charles Schwab). Took them more than two weeks to credit the money to my new account... :o

it's just a scam from the governement to get all tourists or Farang money in Thai owned banks. The banks themselves can't do much about i guess.

After getting angry at hsbc for first letting me fill in 5 forms and then started to ask about my workpermit, and then the other requirements, i went to citybank.

Almost the same rule but they have a backdoor solution were you can put your money in their HK or singapore office (taxfree). Of course you can't use it anymore to prove your extension money (400.000) because immigration won't accept foreign accounts.

It's all catered to receive money from farangs and try to keep it (i'm just not saying "steal it"). A very nice and hidden moral beneath all the smiles again.

:o

Identical to the limit's on exporting cash, the 50 papers you have to fill in when you want to do a wire transfer, the capitalization requirements for foreign biz, etc....

Legally stealing i call it.

I had a long and frioendly conversation at HSBC Bangkok (at the building opposite Lumpini Park) this June.

As they were offering Multi-currency Accounts I thought that could be of interest to me, being able to shift between Baht and Euro, Dollar .... when needed, within one Bank.

Only later during the application process they came up with a rule stating that you cannot have foreign accounts on Long Term Visa, and they would impose a 500 Bt a month fee for Baht Accounts on 30 Day Visas.

So, I just TITed it .....

Concerning the limits on exporting cash: I remember being informed that you can export foreign currency for up to 10000 US$, or more in the case you have registered the import at customs.

I never ever had been checked on the borders, but had travelled out with a few thousand Baht a few times, feeling secure and not breaking any rules.

A Year ago I had a problem with a foreign account I was holding. It was necessary for me to clear this account by means of ATM while I was in Thailand (about 4000 Euros worth), so left Thailand with almost 4000 Euros in cash which I had changed at Don Muang exchange booths. No problems, no questions asked, no eyebrows risen.

Sunny

Are you sure that these are Government regulations?

In case this is a governemt rule, how can you then apply for Retirement within Thailand?

Sunny

it's called a thai catch 22

I had a long and frioendly conversation at HSBC Bangkok (at the building opposite Lumpini Park) this June.

As they were offering Multi-currency Accounts I thought that could be of interest to me, being able to shift between Baht and Euro, Dollar .... when needed, within one Bank.

Only later during the application process they came up with a rule stating that you cannot have foreign accounts on Long Term Visa, and they would impose a 500 Bt a month fee for Baht Accounts on 30 Day Visas.

So, I just TITed it .....

Concerning the limits on exporting cash: I remember being informed that you can export foreign currency for up to 10000 US$, or more in the case you have registered the import at customs.

I never ever had been checked on the borders, but had travelled out with a few thousand Baht a few times, feeling secure and not breaking any rules.

A Year ago I had a problem with a foreign account I was holding. It was necessary for me to clear this account by means of ATM while I was in Thailand (about 4000 Euros worth), so left Thailand with almost 4000 Euros in cash which I had changed at Don Muang exchange booths. No problems, no questions asked, no eyebrows risen.

Sunny

that's nothing. those airport exchangers see everything. I saw a line of Japper girls about 25 long exchanging huge wads of 1000 baht notes each back into yen. that 4000 euro was routine, like changing a few 500 baht notes to those airport changers