Totally Brain Dead

BEWARE, going south on the Chonburi highway, past the airport in the vicinity of KMIT the Highway police have set up a smoke test point. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I applaud it BUT their location choice is mind boggling.

They have selected the area which is on the blind downhill side of a slope on the road and until you crest the slope they cannot be seen. Unfortunately as they are intent on stopping the heavy diesel powered vehicles the two sometimes three inner lanes are totally blocked by stopped trucks, leaving only two lanes for those not being stopped. and when traffic is flowing at 120 KPH carnage is definately on the cards.

really is very dangerous so beware

BEWARE, going south on the Chonburi highway, past the airport in the vicinity of KMIT the Highway police have set up a smoke test point. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I applaud it BUT their location choice is mind boggling.

They have selected the area which is on the blind downhill side of a slope on the road and until you crest the slope they cannot be seen. Unfortunately as they are intent on stopping the heavy diesel powered vehicles the two sometimes three inner lanes are totally blocked by stopped trucks, leaving only two lanes for those not being stopped. and when traffic is flowing at 120 KPH carnage is definately on the cards.

really is very dangerous so beware

I guess thats what they failed to realize. However, I think its classic sneakiness. They want to be out of view long enough before popping into view so that drivers (who feel they have something to hide...like...their car farts out black smoke...) don't have time to "blend in" and slide. I've been pulled over once by a cop who I had thought could not have existed in my view at the time. He virtually popped into view and probably said "boo!" through his mask. hahahhaha!!!

Cars had to have their emissions tested every year in my hometown until 1999. My mother had a secondhand 1984 turbo diesel Mercedes. Those old diesels can puff out quite a bit of smoke. She used to drive up and down the street really quick a couple times just before having the emissions test done. That cleared out the exhaust just enough so she could pass.

Emissions testing? In Thailand? Wow, this is a new one to me. If they did that here up in Isaan, virtually 75% of the vehicles would be permanently taken off the road. Maybe this is a norm in the more populated areas (Bangkok and surrounding provinces), but it's definitely a funny irony to us upcountry expats!