Hello all,

was just wondering if someone could post me a link to what is required for my Mrs to apply for ILR??

We know she has to pass the life in uk test, or the ESOL citizenship course, but just so somewhere that required are 20 documents, bit puzzled and would appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Scotty....

Just looking through the ILR form future information I guess, but call me cynical but I find it interesting how they put so much emphasis on your application fees up front and at £750 that what I call a real bargain

Just looking through the ILR form future information I guess, but call me cynical but I find it interesting how they put so much emphasis on your application fees up front and at £750 that what I call a real bargain

Far from being cynical you are simply observing reality. The fact is that all kinds of immigration applications are a great way for the government to raise money. There is no connection with the actual cost of an application. They pick a random figure as high as they think they can get away with. In the case you quote it is £750. They could just as easily make it £250 or again £2500. Rather like car tax , there is almost no limit to what you can charge and people will pay.

As they see it , they are giving you something of value (ILR has value) , and so you must pay. Actually i am surprised they don't charge more. I am sure if they did make it £2500 people would still pay. If you want to live in the UK with your loved one i don't see how you have much of a choice. You must jump through all their hoops AND pay at the end too. Thats life.

If you look at section 10 of the SET(M) form, you'll see the type of documents which they need, listed:-

http://ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/a...tm_form0208.pdf

Scouse.

Hi,

Looked at the information on the application form.

One thing worrys me, the letters.

The letters are not in joint names, does this matter.

I have no phone contract any more, so I cant put her on the bills, Where living at my mothers, so I have no council tax, gas, electric, tv license etc etc in my name, at the moment where waiting for a response from the gas regarding putting my wife, with my mothers name on the bills.

My wife has a few upto now, one from NHS, a couple from bank regarding her application, which we still have not opened her bank account yet, and I have a few from bank etc.

What my point is, do the letters have to be in joint names? or can they be seperate, obviously they will be the same address, addresed to us both.

Many thanks

Scotty and Kannika

One more thing, call me stupid but this has been on my mind.

How the hel_l do the uk authorities or whoever they are, know me and my Mrs are married?????

Cheers........

From the application form:

Note 7 We need 20 letters or other documents addressed to you jointly or in both your names. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you.

One more thing, call me stupid but this has been on my mind.

How the hel_l do the uk authorities or whoever they are, know me and my Mrs are married?????

Cheers........

The embassy in Bangkok gave you a Settlement Visa, after you had already proved you are married. If you hadn't have been married, then you could only have applied for a fiance visa, or tourist visa etc.

I guess that's the point if they want to they can charge more, and there is is no dout in my mind come two years ill be here moaning about the cost of the permanent residency then being closer to £1500!!!!

Am I right in thinking then that it would be a good idea to get all the bills put in joint names ASAP as soon as you are granted the FLR ????? as then two years down the line it should be simpler to apply.

You may find the debate on fees (25 Feb 2008) interesting.

Compare with the original basis (18 Nov 2003).

This year, we will have spent over £2 billion on securing our borders and managing the immigration system, and £630 million will have come from fees paid by those using the system. It is right and fair both to the users of the immigration system and to the general public in the United Kingdom that those who benefit mostfrom the system contribute proportionately more to its true end-to-end costs. In setting current fee levels, we established the important principle of setting the fees for our applications and services on the basis of the value to the applicant.

"Those that benefit most from the system should contribute proportionately."

Now that is a most interesting comment.

Vinny, you have far too much time on your hands :o

Moss

One thing worrys me, the letters.

The letters are not in joint names, does this matter.

I have no phone contract any more, so I cant put her on the bills, Where living at my mothers, so I have no council tax, gas, electric, tv license etc etc in my name, at the moment where waiting for a response from the gas regarding putting my wife, with my mothers name on the bills.

My wife has a few upto now, one from NHS, a couple from bank regarding her application, which we still have not opened her bank account yet, and I have a few from bank etc.

You don't necessarily need 20 letters as stated in the Doc, but as many that you can provide, the more you have, the easier the ride.

Open the account, open several, by having savings accounts, ISA's, you only need a pound to open one, you get names and addresses as required and other various options.

Moss