Boycott The 2008 Olympics

kevdulounge

Samui related somehow kev? I understand your sentiments, and considering whats been happening in Tibet, see your point, but am not sure this is the approprate forum for this discussion.

many foreigners in Samui will go to bars to support their country this summer... I would have been one of them. So, people of Samui : Please don't go to bars to watch the games this summer! That's how it's related... errr I guess :D

PM me for info on bar without TV. :o

Well, boycotting bars that show it isn't going to have much of an impact except on the bar owner. I am moving this to the Travel forum for those who are thinking of travelling to China for the Olympics.

Boycotting the actual event would have far more of an effect on China than not visiting a bar showing the games, after all, the owner didn't pay for those tv rights, the tv station did

//MOVED//

I am moving this to the Travel forum for those who are thinking of travelling to China for the Olympics.

//MOVED//

Why??? Do you think anyone contemplating going to the Olympics isn't already aware of the Tibet situation?

Why you are at it why not boycott ALL goods made in china? all chinese food all tv programmes with chinese content, cnn, bbc etc where does it stop? As I have never watched any olympic games I for one will not have to boycot any bars as I wouldnt frequent them if they were showing any sport!!! One reason for getting out of UK was the insufferable amount of time tv channels gave to sport, world cup, olympics, commenwealth games etc!!! too much and spoiled a decent days viewing so hurray I do not have to suffer anymore!

I agree, an international event symbolising unity and supposedly peace should not be held in China. I have only recently looked in depth at the people of Tibet's struggle and it really is appalling what has taken place there. Estimates show a total of 30 million dead as a result of crackdowns and Chinese communist policies from Beijing which lead to people starving to death when beforehand food was plentiful.

many country boycotted the olympics through the years, countries were also banned from the games.

Among them South Africa, due of the apartheid, was banned from entering the games, in 64. Nonthaburial, It appears that mixing sports and pollitics isn't always a bad idea. Acctually Pollitics are everywhere.

And can you really talk about pollitics when talking about opression in Tibet ?

In 1936 The nazi used the games to tell the world its political ideals and the Nazi flag was displayed everywhere... Ok, we didn't boycott that one... Maybe should we boycott Bejin 08 ? The opression Games ?

I know it's nothing, boycotting the games wont change much... if anything. But at least we're talking about it. We haven't talked about Tibet that much in a long time on TV, and thats a good thing. I'm not saying we should just not watch TV this summer: We should discuss why we dont. We should blog about it.

Some comments from some UK forums that I am a member of include:-

I don't watch sports but I am boycotting the Olympics!

I'm cancelling my subscription to Sky TV for the duration of the games!

I'm boycotting Mcdonalds - apart from the McFlurries! Please if you want to boycott the Games then stop watching any TV station that shows it, stop reading newspapers that report it and don't buy from the sponsors - not just for the duration of the games but until you feel that your boycott has been worth it. Remember that a boycott may be for a long time, not for the duration of the Games!

The UN and many other countries recognize the legitimacy of Chinese sovereignty. What percentage of the Tibetan population want independence? Are you just talking about the Tibet Autonomous Region? Are are you including Tibet Autonomous Prefectures and Tibet Autonomous Counties as well?

China have had sovereignty for almost 60 years - what has the rest of the world done about the situation in those 60 years? The IOC awarded China the Games in 2001 - what has the rest of the world done about the situation?

So go ahead with your futile and pointless boycotts, I. like nonthaburi, will be enjoying the Games!

I'm boycotting Mcdonalds - apart from the McFlurries! Please if you want to boycott the Games then stop watching any TV station ....

You have a point Hippo, there are a lot of people that do this kind of thing because it is the fashionable thing to do at the time, in reality it probably didn't even cross their minds until they saw some other people demonstrating on TV or whatever.

As a climber I have all my life been particularly interested in the situations in both Nepal and Tibet and I recall thinking about the Tibetan situation from a young age when I was saddened that the local culture that I had read about in many mountaineering books was being destroyed.

These days it is not the Tibetans people's aim to become fully independent, they accept that they must remain under Chinese rule but what they do wish for is true domestic autonomy and the freedom to speak their own language, practice their own religion and praise the Dalai Lama without fear of arrest.

Edited by madjbs

Dunno if it has been said.......

NO GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE THE INTESTINAL FORTITUDE.

Too scared.

Interesting event coming up very soon.

NZ due to sign first ever FTA with China.

PM, Helen Mugabe ooops Clark, bin encouraged to NOT sign.

We will see.

NZ first to snub US over atomic powered ships and weapons, see what happens.

Be interesting if she decides "NO", and snubs China.

Loss of face would infuriate the Chinese.

They mite invade NZ.........LOL

Edited by Zpete

The problem with these debates is they can go on for ever without reaching a result. For those who are going to boycott the games including watching TV, will you also stop wearing some of the cloths and shoes that are maye in China that forces even more humanity crimes. The west are happy to let them do aslong as their profits can reach a mximum high (as long as it's not in my neighbour hood hey). We are all as much to blame and it really amazes me of how many people have such double standards.

The Olympic federation knew about China well before the decision. Likewise we have a terrible habbit of Critizing other countries that are not near our neighbour hood.

Lets not forget about Cambodia, Africa, Indonesia, Philipines and more recently Afgan Iraq, and possibly Iran that may suffer from the power of the west.

I'd just like to mention that i'm unfortunatley a UK citizen despite my avatar.

The west might not pull the trigger in some cases, but they sure don't mind someone else doing it for them

The problem with these debates is they can go on for ever without reaching a result. For those who are going to boycott the games including watching TV, will you also stop wearing some of the cloths and shoes that are maye in China that forces even more humanity crimes. The west are happy to let them do aslong as their profits can reach a mximum high (as long as it's not in my neighbour hood hey). We are all as much to blame and it really amazes me of how many people have such double standards.

The Olympic federation knew about China well before the decision. Likewise we have a terrible habbit of Critizing other countries that are not near our neighbour hood.

Lets not forget about Cambodia, Africa, Indonesia, Philipines and more recently Afgan Iraq, and possibly Iran that may suffer from the power of the west.

I'd just like to mention that i'm unfortunatley a UK citizen despite my avatar.

The west might not pull the trigger in some cases, but they sure don't mind someone else doing it for them

C.C.C.P

Chief Commissioner County Police.

No more Chief Constables...........LOL

I'm boycotting Mcdonalds - apart from the McFlurries! Please if you want to boycott the Games then stop watching any TV station ....

You have a point Hippo, there are a lot of people that do this kind of thing because it is the fashionable thing to do at the time, in reality it probably didn't even cross their minds until they saw some other people demonstrating on TV or whatever.

As a climber I have all my life been particularly interested in the situations in both Nepal and Tibet and I recall thinking about the Tibetan situation from a young age when I was saddened that the local culture that I had read about in many mountaineering books was being destroyed.

These days it is not the Tibetans people's aim to become fully independent, they accept that they must remain under Chinese rule but what they do wish for is true domestic autonomy and the freedom to speak their own language, practice their own religion and praise the Dalai Lama without fear of arrest.

Even the Dalai Lama has threatened to resign as their official spokesperson if the violent protests continue. Obviously, the "Free Tibet" radicals have went too far ...

People who mix politics and religion and sport with politics is skating on very thin self righteous ice. Fine dont watch it on TV, deprive the bar owner of his income ! But rest assured I will enjoy every minute of this great SPORTING event.

I guess china mixes them all pretty badly :o

I've been a passionate supporter of a free Tibet for decades. The first web site I ever designed (about 15 years ago) had a strong 'free Tibet' message, and my domain has been blocked in China since they first started blocking sites.

Even so, the Olympics is bigger than Beijing and bigger than China. It's such a grande opportunity for the thousands of young people involved - possibly the highlight of the lives for many participants. Just the opening and (especially) the closing ceremonies - have you ever seen such a wholesome concentration of international commeradie? .....on a par with Woodstock and the 'Help Africa with rock & roll concerts.'

By having the world's attention focused on China, it's a great opportunity for protests. Ordinarily, the Chinese act immediately to heavy-handedly snuff out any protests - but with thousands of TV and phone cameras everywhere, their reactions will have to a bit civilized. The list of major Chinese things to protest is long: eating endangered species, torturing dogs when killing them for fur, torturing other species for all sorts of other weird things they ingest (bear bile, rhino horns, tiger teeth, etc etc). There may be protests for a free Taiwan. Certainly for a free Tibet. Heck there might even be a lone guy with a placard saying the Spratly Islands should be owned by no one, and instead designated an international marine park (Asians can't perceive of an 'international' anything when it comes to shared territory).

There could be protests against China damming all their major rivers (two of the multiple dammings will adversely impact on Thailand), protests against no free press in China, against killing protesters, internet control, ......all sorts of things.

I say 'Let the drama begin!'

question: will the Olympic coverage in Thailand have English commentary?

kinda interesting how this has resurfaced.

remember last year when the burmese protested and got squashed again,

there were calls for a boycott then.

because of china's supporting lifeline to the junta.

now they have been foolish enough to treat the tibetans like the burmese generals did their own people.

incredibly stupid in their olympic year.

to those who think sport and politics should be seperate,

china getting the olympics was a politcal act and very big political victory.

for china the olympics are very much politics first and sport a very long last.

Even the Dalai Lama has threatened to resign as their official spokesperson if the violent protests continue. Obviously, the "Free Tibet" radicals have went too far ...

Whats your point?

There is nothing violent about boycotting the Olympic games, even if the protesters went about trying to create change went about it the wrong way recently.