Registering My Baby's Birth At The Us Embassy

mrt273nva

Is there a time frame in which i need to register my baby's birth with the US Embassy? I want him to have dual citizenship.

I don't want to travel to Bangkok until he is a few months old.

There is no time restriction that I know of...Our son was about 5 months old when we got everything...You will need n English translation of the Thai birth certificate. We also got his social security card and his US passport...

Stoneman

• 2 weeks later...

Same here for our daughter.

You do not get citizenship per se, but a "Consular Report of Birth" which is effectively the same.

US Passport and Social Security Card are issued too.

I am not sure that there is NO time limit involved.

But with a valid birth certificate and official translation, I can

not see how they can deny him/her at any time.

Dual citizenship is a sticky issue;

US allows and recognizes it.

But Thailand does not. When 18, he/she must declare in Thailand.

But our daughter has a Thai Passport too so it will be moot as long as one does not speak about it.

The hospital took care of nearly everything for us.

But you can get the Embassy Citizen Services to do it all for you.

Congratulations on your new family addition. !

FWIW, the Counsular Report of a Birth Abroad can only be prepared at an American consular office overseas while the child is under the age of 18. What this means once they hit 18.......

Of course that shouldn't even be a concern if you're going to wait a few months to do it.

In fact, tell you what; if you wait till the last week of June I'll be back and we can do it together.

However, you decide to do it, you have to do it by appointment.

Make sure you take note of these required documents:

• *The child's official, local birth certificate issued by the district office, and an English translation.
    *The parents' passports dating back to time of conception of the child.
    *A certified copy of the parents' marriage certificate, if applicable.
    *Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages.
    *Payment of the $65 fee. The fee is payable in U.S. Dollars, Thai Baht, or by debit or credit card. Personal checks cannot be accepted.
    *If also applying for a passport, two identical photographs are required. They must be recent, 2 x 2 inches (with the size of the head between 1 and 1 3/8 inches), color or black and white. The photos must be clear, front view, full face, and in focus. The background must be plain white or off-white. Please print the applicant's first and last names on the backs of both photos.

But our daughter has a Thai Passport too so it will be moot as long as one does not speak about it.

Not quite correct.

Under Thai Law a person with Dual Nationality MAY choose at age 18 which Nationality to accept, i.e. there is no compulsion, if you wish to keep both Nationalities you simply do not make a choice.

My daughter was born in Thailand and has held Dual Nationality (British and Thai) ever since, complete with Thai I.D. Card and Passport, she is now 24 and regularly travels to and from Thailand using the 2 Passports; the Thai Passport when entering and leaving Thailand, the British Passport entering and leaving U.K..

Never a problem - and literally thousand of Thais have Dual Nationality, including many from the "top 100" families here so there is virtually no chance that the situation will change.

The only possible drawback in keeping Thai citizenship for a male is that at 18, if he is Resident in Thailand, he will be subject to the Thai Army Draft lottery.

Patrick

Not quite correct.

Under Thai Law a person with Dual Nationality MAY choose at age 18 which Nationality to accept, i.e. there is no compulsion, if you wish to keep both Nationalities you simply do not make a choice.

My daughter was born in Thailand and has held Dual Nationality (British and Thai) ever since, complete with Thai I.D. Card and Passport, she is now 24 and regularly travels to and from Thailand using the 2 Passports; the Thai Passport when entering and leaving Thailand, the British Passport entering and leaving U.K..

Never a problem - and literally thousand of Thais have Dual Nationality, including many from the "top 100" families here so there is virtually no chance that the situation will change.

The only possible drawback in keeping Thai citizenship for a male is that at 18, if he is Resident in Thailand, he will be subject to the Thai Army Draft lottery.

Patrick

It took me almost three months to get an appointment for our twins. Once there it took us about 15 minutes to complete the process since we had all our documents in order.

I was told that if the male Dual National serves in the ROTC, they will be exempt from having to join the Thai Army and this doesn't conflict against the US restrictions on it's citizens serving in a foreign military.