หยำ

chinnotes

I recently came across a joke (คำผวน) involving the phrase „ผีหยำหัว” which I did not fully understand because I never had heard the word หยำ before. I looked in several dictionaries (including RID, although my issue dates from พ.ศ. ๒๕๔๒ = 1999 which may not bet he most recent one). I then searched for he word with Google and found only one example with probably the same meaning: There was a picture of a model grasping her breast and in this context the words หยำนม were used. When asking my wife she told me that หยำ is a transitive verb and gave me two examples: หยำมะพร้าว and เด็กหยำทรายเล่น.

Can anyone please enlighten me with the exact meaning and how to use the word? What else can I “หยำ“ ? Is the word used throughout Thailand or possibly only in the South? (my wife is from Trang).

Thank you in advance

Erwin

ผีหยำหัว - stand on your head

หยำนม - squeeze your tits

หยำมะพร้าว - dance around in a basket of coconuts

เด็กหยำทรายเล่น - children skip across the sand

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

Can anyone please enlighten me with the exact meaning and how to use the word? What else can I “หยำ“ ? Is the word used throughout Thailand or possibly only in the South? (my wife is from Trang).

It may very well be, or once was, a regional lexical item as the word does not appear in my Haas dictionary.

The Domnern-Sathienpong dictionary has two entries:

หยำเป - "to lead a life of dissipation; be dissipated; debauched"

เมาหยำเป - "a drunkard; a boozer; drunker sot"

I have no idea as to how these terms relate to the former definitions.

My wife believes this is an abbreviated form of ขยำ, which means to knead. Note that adding ห in front of the abbreviation preserves the original tone of the second syllable.

The original คำผวน involves the first and third words. With the understanding that หยำ means to knead, I don't think I'll spell it out any more than that (it's pretty dirty). If it's still not clear, I can try to drop another hint or two (the first word will be ผัว)

Edited by DurianChips

I would like to thank all who have answered to my question. With the last post (of DurianChips) everything seems clear now, and I am thankful to get to know the connetction between หยำ and ขยำ.

The only question that remains is whether หยำ is only a Southern dialect word or found in all Thailand.

As for the คำผวน I intentionally did not post it, because it involves a very vulgar word...

Erwin