Bringing Up A Baby

iainiain101

The missus and I have now been in Chiang Mai just over 2 months. (please move this if there is a more general thread)

Junior is now 11 months old. She arrived in Thailand eating solids (aged 8 months), big shock, she should be on milk or rice.

She is not eating too much now, I think the heat (v UK), but she is eating plenty of fruit.

Thing is I eat hot (spicy) food, more so than most Thais, usual for an English man brought up on curry. The missus has had 3 trips to London and never eats as hot spicy food as say an English person 45 and under. ( I agree the older UK generation tend to not like spicy food, and it is not my intention to discuss this here)

Here are the questions...

On the odd occation where 'junior' has got the odd bit of food with spice off my plate she loves it but the missus says she should be over 12 to have spice. why?

It seems better for her to eat well and sleep all night, than worry about a bit of spice causing the 'runs'! It doesnt anyway! (my view)

I am getting shouted down on this one, any views?

Iain

I'd ask for this thread to be moved over to the family forum if I were you, you'll probably get more responses.

No advice to offer from this corner as our younger children have not developed a taste for spicy food (yet) so the issue has not come up.

JxP

I've just returned from "upcountry" - my wife's sister's one year old baby was there. She ate what everyone else was eating, just had some of the bigger pieces broken up into smaller ones for her. Once i saw her pick up a chili out of the bowl and one of the older ladies took it off her, not because it was too hot for her to eat, but because if she wiped her eyes afterward she would cry. . .

it's a different matter if your doughter scoops a spoon or two from your plate and when she would eat it regularly. Not only that she can ulcer her stomach and intestines, but might become agitated.

don't worry that she doesn't eat that much as in the uk- just be sure she drinks a lot, you might think of giving her more juices (the best are fresh ones), soya milk and cows milk.

can't comment on a 1y old kid eating spicy food - on top of gut problems might damage liver

I think generally young children are quite capable to decide for themselves what they can handle. As long as you make sure that you're offering a balanced diet that doesn't contain too much fat or salt or sugar or spicyness, and it's in small enough bits for the kid to eat then you almost can't go wrong. And if the kid does something odd like take a sip from your beer or has something a little spicy then that'll be okay too providing she doesn't make a habit out of it.

hel_l, the main issue is that if the kid catches *anything at all* even weeks later, like when she catches a cold or something or her diaper-production is even a slightly different hue then there will be no end to the Mrs banging on about "There, you see, I told you you shouldn't poison your baby!!!"

So the major 'health issue' here is your own mental health: 'When it comes to baby issues, the Mrs is always right!' Much better that way. For yourself. :o I mean whaddayagonnado, even if everyone here responds saying 'no problem mate'.. are you going to tell your wife that a bunch of strange farangs on a forum somewhere know more about her baby than she does? Can I watch? :D

Edited by Jefferson

Uh, I hate to weigh in on this subject.....but of course I will, anyway :D

My son was born in Peru, my then wife was from Lima, the capital.

Chili comes from the New World (along with potatoes, tomatoes, cacao/chocolate, etc.).

I adore very spicy food- that's why I am so happy living here in LOS. And Peru has more than it's share of very spicy food.

I really would listen to your wife's words of advice. My own wife also warned me against feeding young infants spicy or heavily seasoned foods. Maybe that's why most baby food is so bland....all those infant nutritionists might be on to something that we might not be aware of....

When your child is a bit more grown, say 3 or so (still toddler age!) and shows an appreciation for spice.....OK.

Not at 11 months, IMHO.

Any other actual parents who disagree, feel free to differ.... :o

I cook all my sons food & use a small amount of whole black pepper, garlic, coriander, basil, thyme & other fresh herbs, chillis are not on the menu & neither is salt, a baby under 1 year old doesn't have a developed enough intestine/gut to cope with really spicy food or too much salt & both can cause damage to the liver if not careful.

My son loves to eat things with a lot of white pepper too & on the occasions I let him have it I make sure he drinks a lot of water all through the meal & afterwards too to help his body flush out.

My thai husband wont let my son near his mouth (baby likes to lick faces & suck faces too at the moment) after he has eaten a really spicy meal & his family nearly jumped on me when I went to offer my son a small mouthful of curried crab as to me it wasnt spicy but they were adamant it was too much for a small baby. I of course listened to them as they understand this food much better than I do & tbh I dont' think it is so important for him to be eating som tum lao at his age yet :D

Apart from that he ate everything else from the street or that was on the dinner table, from MK to sticky rice & pork on a stick & I think it does them good to have a varied diet but no need to rush their food development with things like chilli imo, my neice is 10 & still is only allowed a small amount of chilli in her food & yai cooks a couple of dishes esp. for her. Young taste buds can be damaged if too spicy food is given, well according to my mil anyway. :o

Good for you though for not being scared to let your baby try many things, just maybe rememebr they are stills o small & plenty of time for that vindaloo with dad in a few year more :D

All of my children used to suffer diarrhea if their mother ate spicy food when breast feeding. Torture for her as she had to give up foods she craved for extended periods.

After being weaned, we kept them on fairly bland food until they were able to choose for themselves. At about age 4, they started trying spicy food. Two of my four have become chilli addicts since then, the other two can take it, but not so spicy.