Best French Restaurant?

Rasseru

So, what is the best French restaurant in Chiangmai, in everyone's humble or not so humble opinion? And in particular, what are the views held by TV members -- assuming there is no consensus -- concerning Le Coq d'Or?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that during many years as a foodie in San Francisco, I mostly avoided French food because I felt that ethnic foods were more heathy and interesting, so I know little about it.

I never knew that Mexican food was full of meat fat (lard) until I met people that were trying to make it in Chiang Mai.

I did eat French food fairly often when I lived in Hanoi for about 6 months in the late 1990s, but I never found it to be any better than many other cuisines.

My favorites are probably Italian, Japanese and Hong Kong/Singapore/San Francisco style Chinese.

I have to admit that during many years as a foodie in San Francisco, I mostly avoided French food because I felt that ethnic foods were more heathy and interesting, so I know little about it.

I never knew that Mexican food was full of meat fat (lard) until I met people that were trying to make it in Chiang Mai.

I did eat French food fairly often when I lived in Hanoi for about 6 months in the late 1990s, but I never found it to be any better than many other cuisines.

My favorites are probably Italian, Japanese and Hong Kong/Singapore/San Francisco style Chinese.

So this discussion isn't really of much interest to you then UG . . . . ?! :o

I'd love to find some genuine gallettes and crepes along with some cidre bouche to wash them down - I think my chances are slim though. It'll be good to see what, if any, other recommendations pop up in this thread. Le Crystal and Le Coq D'Or are the obvious names but surely there are some other less 'famous' gems around town?

JxP

Unfortunately, ANY post about food is of interest to me, however, I can't add a lot to this one.

Are the crepes in the little soi/alley near John's Place/Cozy Corner any good? I tried it a few times and enjoyed it, but wasn't knocked over by the food.

I like French Provincial 'peasant' foods; i.e. Cassoulet, Boeuf à la Bourguignonne, savory tarts, stews, ratatouille, fois gras, various pates, etc. All too often French restaurants only want to serve haute cuisine and this bums me out. :o

I don't want to go to a restaurant and order a meal only to be served two anemic asparagus spears dribbled with sauce and a single slice of duck breast looking lonely in the middle of a large white plate. I want a meal I can sink my teeth into.

At one time ratatouille was very 'fashionable' in trendy restaurants, but the fashion past on to quiches. Quiches are fine as 'part' of a French meal. They shouldn't BE the meal. But I suppose people don't want to eat farmer foods when they go out. Coq au vin is probably the most ordered French food in the US because people think it's something fancy. Surprise! It's farmer food too! But say it in French and it sounds fancier ! And.....costs more! :D

Are there any French restaurants in town where you can buy 4-5 slices of different types of pates or tourinnes, a hunk of good stinky goat cheese, and some bread still warm from the oven. Now THAT is French food!

I like French Provincial 'peasant' foods; i.e. Cassoulet, Boeuf à la Bourguignonne, savory tarts, stews, ratatouille, fois gras, various pates, etc. All too often French restaurants only want to serve haute cuisine and this bums me out. :o

I'll second that. Also you are forgetting one of the most famous Provencale dishes of all time...

Ris de veau aux graines de pavot et aux échalotes :D

risdeveau.gif

OK, this won't win any "best French restaurant" award, but it's a place i really enjoy. It's called the Franco-Thai restaurantny beef. chicken Pork dishes, fresh bread and fois gras and other pate's. It's so reasonably priced you could eat there everyday. I just found then again after they moved form their old location. Not easy to find. Head north from the light at the NW corner of the moat, proceed north a few hundred meters and take the first right hand turn (east). About 150 meters down the road bends to the right and there is a dirt soi to the left. Turn left on the dirt soi and about 50 meters down is the Franco-Thai on the left hand side. Not haute cuisine, but very tasty and very reasonabbly priced. Bon Appetit!

Although I'm certainly no food expert, I've enjoyed Chez Daniel (left of the entrance of CM land on the Mahidol Road), the crepes at La Creperie (soi little further from John's Place) and 5 steps further from La Creperie there's another French restaurant (forgot the name). Have eaten at The House as well, but wasn't impressed that time.

Nienke

I have to admit that . . . I mostly avoided French food because I felt that ethnic foods were more heathy [sic] and interesting . . .

Somehow that strikes me as terribly funny, coming from a man as famous as you are for your indifference to unhealthy air! :o

I'll second that. Also you are forgetting one of the most famous Provencale dishes of all time...

Ris de veau aux graines de pavot et aux échalotes :D

risdeveau.gif

ah..le bon

mummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My mouth is a waterin'...dam_n, you had to throw a pic in!! :D

I think "nouvelle cuisine" has changed the reality of "haute cuisine" somewhat. "Nouvelle" acquired a derogatory connotation ( asparagus spears with a few slices of meat with a fruity sauce) but in fact reduced unhealthiness and promoted the great regional dishes, which are (already were ?) known around the world.

Just a few that spring to mind :

Salade Nicoise

Vichyssoise

Ratatouille

and just Sandwich jambon avec cafe

... all have joined the list of international classics, n'est-ce pas ?

But to ask about the best French restaurant here -- we may need to know in which "class" ( a term our amis francais do not hesitate to use about their eateries)

Bistro - steak frites can be great, if that's what you want.

Many starred restaurants can also be great, if that's your whim ...

I'd guess we have only those aiming at the latter here ?

I have to admit that . . . I mostly avoided French food because I felt that ethnic foods were more heathy [sic] and interesting . . .

Somehow that strikes me as terribly funny, coming from a man as famous as you are for your indifference to unhealthy air! :D

I was quite skinny then and living on the coast of California (with super-clean air). If I ever had any idea that I would weigh as much as I do now, I would have dabbled in French food a lot more than I did.

I was a real health nut and sure that I would always be thin because I avoided fatty foods. Who knew that carbohydrates would turn into the big villain ? :o

. . . But to ask about the best French restaurant here -- we may need to know in which "class" ( a term our amis francais do not hesitate to use about their eateries)

Bistro - steak frites can be great, if that's what you want.

Many starred restaurants can also be great, if that's your whim ...

I'd guess we have only those aiming at the latter here ?

I like 'em all, so no, I'm not aiming at only one class of eatery. Tell us which ones you like best within each class that is represented in Chiangmai.

I meant that CM possibly only has one class of French eateries - the star-spangled class, or those aimimg for that.

Do we have any decent French places of the more casual kind ?

There's a Belgian place in the Night Market area (name escapes me for the moment) which does steak-frites et cetera.

I meant that CM possibly only has one class of French eateries - the star-spangled class, or those aimimg for that.

Do we have any decent French places of the more casual kind ?

I quite like both La Creperie and the restaurant almost next door to it, which were mentioned by Nienke earlier in this topic, and both are casual.

Unfortunately, ANY post about food is of interest to me, however, I can't add a lot to this one.

Are the crepes in the little soi/alley near John's Place/Cozy Corner any good? I tried it a few times and enjoyed it, but wasn't knocked over by the food.

I went there once, yes only ONCE! The menu was about the most confusing thing I have ever seen, I guess a mix of French and English and god knows what other langue. Ordered something, was ok, but never again………. unless I have a French speaker with me or the staff and owner (both French) will be able to actually explain in English, what’s on the menu. :o

That is why I haven't tried the French restaurant a little further down the soi. The menu board out front is not very well lit and I find it confusing.

Several people here have recommended both of these however. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

So this discussion isn't really of much interest to you then UG . . . . ?! :o

I'd love to find some genuine gallettes and crepes along with some cidre bouche to wash them down - I think my chances are slim though. It'll be good to see what, if any, other recommendations pop up in this thread. Le Crystal and Le Coq D'Or are the obvious names but surely there are some other less 'famous' gems around town?

JxP

Crepes [obviously] and french cidre are served at the creperie down the soi near Johns place as mentioned previously. I must admit I've only eaten there the once, I thought the food was good but not enough of it for the price.

In no way a French restaurant but ..... I'd like to point out that the Old Bell down Loi Kroh has a very good selection of Cheeses at a fairly reasonable price.

I don't really like restaurants where I don't even know what cutlery to use first! For me it is really awkward going to places like the 'Le Crystal' and 'Le Coq d'Or', why do I need 15 people serving me food that takes two mouthfuls to finish?

Give me a burger any day!

BTW, does anyone know a good place to get a burger in town?

I don't really like restaurants where I don't even know what cutlery to use first! For me it is really awkward going to places like the 'Le Crystal' and 'Le Coq d'Or', why do I need 15 people serving me food that takes two mouthfuls to finish?

Give me a burger any day!

BTW, does anyone know a good place to get a burger in town?

Outer most cutlery first work your way in

What about Saint-Germain-des-Prés (in Rajvithi Rd, next to the SCB near the moat)? I've only eaten there once and unfortunately the beef I got had come out of a rubber tree, but the rest was really good and reasonably priced to boot. (I think the meat must have been an accident, otherwise they would presumably already be out of business.) The paté appetizer was very nice, as was everything that came with the beef :o

/ Priceless

I think Le Coq d'Or is terrible. Did not feel like trying anything else in that style.

Do you like French haute cuisine, but Le Coq d'Or falls short of your standards? Or do you simply not like French haute cuisine, so that the quality of the grub at Le Coq d'Or, measured by that standard, is irrelevant?

I mostly dislike the overly formal setting and the way the staff behave, again overly formal. The food was okay. Not so wildly out of this world that I'd go back if the overall atmosphere was more pleasant, but it was okay.

Terrible and OK?!? sounds interesting.. People mentioned St Germain Du pres a while back - is that terrible or OK? still haven't managed to go there..

I mostly dislike the overly formal setting and the way the staff behave, again overly formal.

Not a man who enjoys theatre, eh? Well, I'm cool with that -- theatrical formality, that is -- so if anything, from the unquoted portion of your last post, it sounds like I am more at risk of being disappointed in the food itself. In any case, cheers for your impressions.

Hi everybody

I do not post much here, but being French , living in Chiangmai and liking my food, this is the topic or never....

Le Crystal is in my opinion the best French restaurant you can find in Chiangmai. It is expensive and is not the kind of place i can afford very often, but on every occasions i have been there, the food was excellent, the wine list very extensive and the service impeccable.

However the best meals I have had in Chiangmai was in a very tiny and unpretentious restaurant called " Le Soliles", which is unfortunately closed now.

I used to be a regular customer at Le Coq d'or when they were still on the moat near Tapae, that was was quite a few years ago, and only went once to their new location, I was very disappointed by the food and never bothered to return. maybe i should try it again.

I also used to go very often "Chez Daniel" when he was still on Sukumvit, his restaurant in Chiangmai does not match the one he had in Bangkok. Daniel is a good cook and a colourful character, but I found the food to be lacking something...

St Germain des Pres: very good for the price, but there was always something wrong, at least on 4 occasions I have been there. But I will certainly return to eat there, they often change menus and some of their dishes are actually excellent.

I have never tried the Creperie on that small soi near John's Place, but the restaurant next to it ( the name is "Cote Jardin" ) has some nice items on its menu too. I agree that the board menu is not a very great idea, and it is poorly lit, but the food is great.

I also want to mention the " Mayflower", on Loy Kroh, inexpensive and really nice ( they have some Andouillettes that are worth the visit..)

If you like cheese, the Fondue House ( which used to be called le Coq au Rico ) has great fondue and raclette...

Cheers.

Phil