Best French Restaurant?

Rasseru

I read fine, but I don't read minds.

What is perfectly obvious to you when you are writing something, might not be so obvious to others without a clear explanation. :o

Ah bugger, another ill-founded assumption, this time regarding the average intelligence around here.

Will try harder.

JxP

Can you tell what I'm thinking now?! :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad, I guess it is a bit much to expect that someone would read the whole of the post that they are replying to rather than just the last line. :o:D

I read it when it was first posted and didn't care about the spelling mistake because it was so easily understood.

By the time you wrote your "correction", I had looked at other posts and it was not at all obvious what it pertained to. :D

My bad, I guess it is a bit much to expect that someone would read the whole of the post that they are replying to rather than just the last line. :o:D

I think you are making another ill-founded assumption. I assumed -- perhaps ill-foundedly, as we may learn -- that our Greek hero was responding to your earlier post, the one that you quoted in your later correcting post, and not to the latter.

Rasseru, have you tried Cote Jardin?

No, but I am now looking forward to doing so. :D

I read fine, but I don't read minds.

What is perfectly obvious to you when you are writing something, might not be so obvious to others without a clear explanation. :o

Ah bugger, another ill-founded assumption, this time regarding the average intelligence around here.

Will try harder.

JxP

Can you tell what I'm thinking now?! :D

You should be questioning your own intelligence, but you probably aren't. :D

I think you are making another ill-founded assumption. I assumed -- perhaps ill-foundedly, as we may learn -- that our Greek hero was responding to your earlier post, the one that you quoted in your later correcting post, and not to the latter.

No, but I am now looking forward to doing so. :D

Excellent, I'm glad we got that cleared up. :D Warning: do NOT order the charcuterie starter plate unless you have someone to share it with!

JxP

Yesterday we were again at "Chez Marco" in Loy Kroh. This time I had the most expensive item on their menu: A filet steak for 240 Bt. I had it with a pepper sauce, which was excellent. Don't get me wrong. It's certainly not best steak you can get in Chiang Mai. But it's certainly the best in this price range in Chiang Mai.

My wife had a salmon carpaccio (150 Bt), which was fantastic. Paperthin slices of salmon, which were marinated and seasoned in way you hardly can top.

This place is run by a young frenchman, who is doing the cooking himself.

Edited by cnxmike

No, but I am now looking forward to doing so. :o

Excellent . . . . . Warning: do NOT order the charcuterie starter plate unless you have someone to share it with!

I have a new-found sympathy for the misspeaking Ms. Clinton. Turns out I was wrong, and in fact had been to Cote Jardin before.

My wife and I ate at Cote Jardin last night and were not very impressed. We realized, after arriving, that we had eaten there twice before (just had not remembered the name), and we recalled it being much better the other times, so perhaps last night was just an off-night.

The service was very good. However, my wife couldn't even eat the terrine we had for an appetizer (I could, but did not find it at all delicious) and the two entrees we had, a tadjine d'agneau and a shrimp dish whose name I have forgotten, were just so-so. Apart from that -- not quite 'Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?', but close -- the garden-style atmosphere was very nice and the Australian shiraz we ordered was relatively inexpensive and excellent.

I don't really like restaurants where I don't even know what cutlery to use first! For me it is really awkward going to places like the 'Le Crystal' and 'Le Coq d'Or', why do I need 15 people serving me food that takes two mouthfuls to finish?

Give me a burger any day!

BTW, does anyone know a good place to get a burger in town?

Ha Ha......... Caveman style right? Also if you knew how to appreciate food you would know that the 'two mouthfuls' you talk about is crap. Enjoy your food, taste little by little enjoying every flavour it has to offer and taking your time. Do you honestly not know your way around cutlery? Seems funny as you managed to find your way to Thailand, which I would of thought is a little more complicated, we learnt how to eat from an early age right?............ Why bother posting here, a thread about real food, or at least places trying to serve real food......... If you want a burger ask elsewhere.

Edited by tipsy

No, but I am now looking forward to doing so. :o

Excellent . . . . . Warning: do NOT order the charcuterie starter plate unless you have someone to share it with!

I have a new-found sympathy for the misspeaking Ms. Clinton. Turns out I was wrong, and in fact had been to Cote Jardin before.

My wife and I ate at Cote Jardin last night and were not very impressed. We realized, after arriving, that we had eaten there twice before (just had not remembered the name), and we recalled it being much better the other times, so perhaps last night was just an off-night.

The service was very good. However, my wife couldn't even eat the terrine we had for an appetizer (I could, but did not find it at all delicious) and the two entrees we had, a tadjine d'agneau and a shrimp dish whose name I have forgotten, were just so-so. Apart from that -- not quite 'Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?', but close -- the garden-style atmosphere was very nice and the Australian shiraz we ordered was relatively inexpensive and excellent.

Sorry to learn that your experience there was not up to scratch . . . gives me an excuse to go back and check my benchmark!

JxP

• 4 months later...
If you like cheese, the Fondue House ( which used to be called le Coq au Rico ) has great fondue and raclette...

. . .

Phil

I do like cheese, and in particular fondue. After over two years of planning 'one day' to go to the Fondue House, I did two nights ago, in a group of four. The cheese fondue dish is for two people, so we ordered it, along with several other dishes, to share among all of us. After one taste, I wished we had ordered two -- absolutely wonderful! My wife and I are eager to go back soon. I will be torn between having more of that cheese fondue and trying the raclette!

The restaurant and service were both very nice, so I was surprised that we were the only diners in the restaurant the entire time we were there, which was from about 8 to 10. On a Friday night.

Yesterday we were again at "Chez Marco" in Loy Kroh. This time I had the most expensive item on their menu: A filet steak for 240 Bt. I had it with a pepper sauce, which was excellent. Don't get me wrong. It's certainly not best steak you can get in Chiang Mai. But it's certainly the best in this price range in Chiang Mai.

My wife had a salmon carpaccio (150 Bt), which was fantastic. Paperthin slices of salmon, which were marinated and seasoned in way you hardly can top.

A young Frenchman called Marco? Serving carpaccio? Hmm, 20 years living in the Savoie and Provence before I came here last year, and I've yet to see that dish on a (French restaurant) menu in France! (Did come across it now and again when I was based in Milan though :o)

I'm not sure that sticking a 'Chez' in front of the name qualifies it as a French establishment :D

If you like cheese, the Fondue House ( which used to be called le Coq au Rico ) has great fondue and raclette...

Phil

I do like cheese, and in particular fondue. After over two years of planning 'one day' to go to the Fondue House, I did two nights ago, in a group of four. The cheese fondue dish is for two people, so we ordered it, along with several other dishes, to share among all of us. After one taste, I wished we had ordered two -- absolutely wonderful! My wife and I are eager to go back soon. I will be torn between having more of that cheese fondue and trying the raclette!

Death by cheese ..... twice over? Yuk. My idea of helll! Moved here from Bourg Saint Maurice (Savoie), the worst cuisine in France I reckon, just edging out the stodgy Alsace fare. (I was only in the Savoie for the skiing).

As French regions go, Burgundy, Lyon are right up there for the younger stomachs (ie can handle the rich cuisine), but the lighter fare of Provence and its wonderful salads does it for me these days.

I also used to go very often "Chez Daniel" when he was still on Sukumvit, his restaurant in Chiangmai does not match the one he had in Bangkok. Daniel is a good cook and a colourful character, but I found the food to be lacking something...
Never been there, but I have tried their Canard à l'Orange via Meals On Wheels. Considering it had to get to me via a ten minute trip on a scooter, ample time to congeal a little, it wasn't bad at all. Edited by wedders

A young Frenchman called Marco? Serving carpaccio? Hmm, 20 years living in the Savoie and Provence before I came here last year, and I've yet to see that dish on a (French restaurant) menu in France! (Did come across it now and again when I was based in Milan though :D)

I'm not sure that sticking a 'Chez' in front of the name qualifies it as a French establishment :D

Phil

Death by cheese ..... twice over? Yuk. My idea of helll! Moved here from Bourg Saint Maurice (Savoie), the worst cuisine in France I reckon, just edging out the stodgy Alsace fare. (I was only in the Savoie for the skiing).

As French regions go, Burgundy, Lyon are right up there for the younger stomachs (ie can handle the rich cuisine), but the lighter fare of Provence and its wonderful salads does it for me these days.

I also used to go very often "Chez Daniel" when he was still on Sukumvit, his restaurant in Chiangmai does not match the one he had in Bangkok. Daniel is a good cook and a colourful character, but I found the food to be lacking something...
Never been there, but I have tried their Canard à l'Orange via Meals On Wheels. Considering it had to get to me via a ten minute trip on a scooter, ample time to congeal a little, it wasn't bad at all.

Why the mention of French cuisine as reply to a comment about cheese fondue? This dish, Fondue Neuchateloise, is probably the most famous dish of the Swiss cuisine ( http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...%20Encyclopedia ). Nothing to do with France at all :o

/ Priceless

A young Frenchman called Marco? Serving carpaccio? Hmm, 20 years living in the Savoie and Provence before I came here last year, and I've yet to see that dish on a (French restaurant) menu in France! (Did come across it now and again when I was based in Milan though :D )

Phil

Never been there, but I have tried their Canard à l'Orange via Meals On Wheels. Considering it had to get to me via a ten minute trip on a scooter, ample time to congeal a little, it wasn't bad at all.

Why the mention of French cuisine as reply to a comment about cheese fondue? This dish, Fondue Neuchateloise, is probably the most famous dish of the Swiss cuisine ( http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...%20Encyclopedia ). Nothing to do with France at all :D

/ Priceless

:o Nothing to do with France? Fondue savoyarde is a dish you'll also find throughout the .... Savoie! Usually made with Beaufort cheese, and/or Comté. (Rasseru didn't stipulate which particular version he was referring to, and other than the type of cheese, the dish is pretty much identical).

Same as raclette, which is also a staple diet in the Savoie as well as in the Swiss Valais. Then there's Tartiflette ... groan, more death by cheese and stodge ...

And if I remember right, this was a thread about French cuisine!

(Oh, and PS cnxmike - apologies, it seems that despite his name, Marco is half Japanese, half French (on his mum's side :D)

:o Nothing to do with France? Fondue savoyarde is a dish you'll also find throughout the .... Savoie! Usually made with Beaufort cheese, and/or Comté. (Rasseru didn't stipulate which particular version he was referring to, and other than the type of cheese, the dish is pretty much identical).

Same as raclette, which is also a staple diet in the Savoie as well as in the Swiss Valais. Then there's Tartiflette ... groan, more death by cheese and stodge ...

(Oh, and PS cnxmike - apologies, it seems that despite his name, Marco is half Japanese, half French (on his mum's side :D)

Thank you very much for enlightening me, I seem to have been labouring under the same misconception as Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue ) which says: "Fondue is a Swiss communal dish shared at the table in an earthenware pot (caquelon) over a small burner (rechaud). The term is derived from the French fondre (to melt), in the past tense fondu (melted)." If one reads on (I didn't even look up the reference, cocksure that I sometimes am) there is mention of two French Alpine varieties.

Isn't it lovely to learn something new :D

/ Priceless

(Oh, and PS cnxmike - apologies, it seems that despite his name, Marco is half Japanese, half French (on his mum's side :D )

Thank you very much for enlightening me, I seem to have been labouring under the same misconception as Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue ) which says: "Fondue is a Swiss communal dish shared at the table in an earthenware pot (caquelon) over a small burner (rechaud). The term is derived from the French fondre (to melt), in the past tense fondu (melted)." If one reads on (I didn't even look up the reference, cocksure that I sometimes am) there is mention of two French Alpine varieties.

Isn't it lovely to learn something new :D

/ Priceless

:D There's a lot in common between the Savoie and Haute Savoie French Alpine areas and just across the border in Switzerland, in many ways more than there is between the French and German-speaking areas within Switzerland itself. Where I lived I could ski across into Italy in twenty minutes, and the fondue neuchâteloise area of Switzerland isn't that far away as the crow flies. In some ways there's as much of a cross-border 'montagnard' (mountain dwellers) identity as a national one.

As you mention, there's also the fondue comtoise, made with comté cheese, in the Franche Comté region of France bordering Switzerland and separated from Neuchâtel by the river Doubs. Pretty much the same dish again. Then there's the fonduta italiana from the Aosta/Piedmont region, a bit different because it's made with eggs as well as fontina cheese.

But all this talk of cheese-based dishes :D is putting me off my dinner ...

Slightly more on topic, the Goodview is hardly a French restaurant, but their filet mignon isn't too bad!

Edited by wedders