Best French Restaurant?

Rasseru

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly dislike the overly formal setting and the way the staff behave, again overly formal. The food was okay. Not so wildly out of this world that I'd go back if the overall atmosphere was more pleasant, but it was okay.

Terrible and OK?!? sounds interesting.. People mentioned St Germain Du pres a while back - is that terrible or OK? still haven't managed to go there..

Very casual and it ends up being about 500 baht for dinner: appetizers, a main course and desert. Everything isn't great, but most items are pretty good and the price seems very reasonable to me.

My wife and I went to Le Coq d'Or last night for our anniversary, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The setting and atmosphere were comfortable and lovely, the service was highly professional and pleasant and the food and wine -- let's not forget them! -- were outstanding. The food was by far the best non-Thai food we have had in nearly two years in Chiangmai. We had no sense at all of it being good "for an out-of-the-way place like Chiangmai", which, frankly, has been very often the case with other non-Thai food restaurants here (not that I am complaining; even then the food is often quite good).

Given that, I am very much looking forward to trying Le Crystal one of these days, since some of the posters on this topic have said that they prefer it to Le Coq d'Or.

Thanks again to all, and especially Phil, for your various suggestions, which we will follow up on in the weeks and months ahead.

Last night I tried the small French restaurant near Butterfly Bar and Chiang Mai Leprechan on Loi Kroh Road near Moon Muang Road, but I forgot to ask the name of the place. They seem to be getting more customers all the time and I've meant to try it for a while. As I've said, I don't know much about French food, but my guess is this is more the provincial style and it certainly isn't too pricy.

I had a bacon and goat cheese salad, some vegetables stuffed with meat as an appetizer, and spaggetti with lots of roasted, fresh vegetables for the main course. Everything was fresh and healthy and desert was creme' caramel.

I enjoyed it and it was not expensive - around 300 baht with iced coffee - and I think that the chef was French. I will go back.

Edited by Ulysses G.

@UG

A few days ago I wrote about this place in the "Good places to eat in Chiang Mai" section:

"Last week I was twice at "Chez Marco" a small inexpansive french restaurant at Loy Kroh. The first time I had a bacon salad with warm goat cheese. The second time it was a plate with two types of raw ham, two types of french pate, some smoked sausages and pickles plus bread and butter.

Both dishes were quite tasty. "

Edited by cnxmike

I like both St Germain Du Pres and Cotes Jardin, reasonably good French fare at reasonable prices.

Ate at Coq d'Or twice, would never go back. Unreasonable prices for unimpressive food.

Never been to Le Crystal but the name really puts me off. Hey give it either a French name or an English name!

Last night I tried the small French restaurant near Butterfly Bar and Chiang Mai Leprechan on Loi Kroh Road near Moon Muang Road, but I forgot to ask the name of the place. They seem to be getting more customers all the time and I've meant to try it for a while. As I've said, I don't know much about French food, but my guess is this is more the provincial style and it certainly isn't too pricy.

I had a bacon and goat cheese salad, some vegetables stuffed with meat as an appetizer, and spaggetti with lots of roasted, fresh vegetables for the main course. Everything was fresh and healthy and desert was creme' caramel.

I enjoyed it and it was not expensive - around 300 baht with iced coffee - and I think that the chef was French. I will go back.

Thank you cnxmike. I went looking for the name of the place today and you are right, it is Chez Marco. Your description on this thread is what got me interested in it! :o

What about Saint-Germain-des-Prés (in Rajvithi Rd, next to the SCB near the moat)? I've only eaten there once and unfortunately the beef I got had come out of a rubber tree, but the rest was really good and reasonably priced to boot. (I think the meat must have been an accident, otherwise they would presumably already be out of business.) The paté appetizer was very nice, as was everything that came with the beef :D

/ Priceless

I am sorry to say it this clearly: the restaurant Saint-Germain-des-Pres has nothing to do with french cuisine. It is an awkward place with microwave-heated up food sold at a ridiculous price. And make sure to try the wine which is more of a vinegar-type. Also, there is no choice as they only offer one wine.... so you will always pick the best... :o

Le Coq d Or is a fine place though and definitely recommendable. I would not call their food "french cuisine" but rather a mediterranean cuisine. They make the best out of the limits regarding availability of the needed ingredients. You will find a selected choice of french wines, also.

I also used to go very often "Chez Daniel" when he was still on Sukumvit, his restaurant in Chiangmai does not match the one he had in Bangkok. Daniel is a good cook and a colourful character, but I found the food to be lacking something...

Phil

Daniel smokes/used to smoke while cooking. :o

I also used to go very often "Chez Daniel" when he was still on Sukumvit, his restaurant in Chiangmai does not match the one he had in Bangkok. Daniel is a good cook and a colourful character, but I found the food to be lacking something...

Phil

Daniel smokes/used to smoke while cooking. :o

So, the food is perhaps not so much lacking something as possessing something it shouldn't?

Love French food. Farang Ses at the Mandarin Oriental has got to serve some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. Fortunately on all three occasions I wasn't paying. Very paeng. But superb superb.

Le Coq d"Or is iconic in Chiang Mai for special occasions and they do a really reasonable set lunch too. Le Crystal I simply love - salmon souffle, foie gras, even the steaks. However, both are expensive.

My favourite country French fare (trust me, doggy bag home each time, none of this asparagus and pea malarky) is the Cote Jardin down the old John's Place soi. Fresh, tasty, inexpensive and always always delicious. The mains go for between 3-500 baht, depending, but to be honest, one main is plenty as I could never do starters too.

St Germain de Pres is still making some mistakes. The standard is not consistant yet, but it is getting there and I think will improve, the prices are also great. And the rooftop bar a pleasure.

Chez Daniel...haven't been to in years. Used to love his country style food (with his fag ash!)

Chez Gibus for lovers of meat (it's Swiss really) but also good pricing.

Basically French food can be as fancy or downright and sublimely simple, it is well worth checking out. Especially at the prices we pay in Chiang Mai, compared to, say, London. Tips on utensils, start from the outside and move your way in. Someone should also start an Italian food thread, we have great Italian food here too.

Love French food. Farang Ses at the Mandarin Oriental has got to serve some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. Fortunately on all three occasions I wasn't paying. Very paeng. But superb superb.

Le Coq d"Or is iconic in Chiang Mai for special occasions and they do a really reasonable set lunch too. Le Crystal I simply love - salmon souffle, foie gras, even the steaks. However, both are expensive.

My favourite country French fare (trust me, doggy bag home each time, none of this asparagus and pea malarky) is the Cote Jardin down the old John's Place soi. Fresh, tasty, inexpensive and always always delicious. The mains go for between 3-500 baht, depending, but to be honest, one main is plenty as I could never do starters too.

St Germain de Pres is still making some mistakes. The standard is not consistant yet, but it is getting there and I think will improve, the prices are also great. And the rooftop bar a pleasure.

Chez Daniel...haven't been to in years. Used to love his country style food (with his fag ash!)

Chez Gibus for lovers of meat (it's Swiss really) but also good pricing.

Basically French food can be as fancy or downright and sublimely simple, it is well worth checking out. Especially at the prices we pay in Chiang Mai, compared to, say, London. Tips on utensils, start from the outside and move your way in. Someone should also start an Italian food thread, we have great Italian food here too.

Agree on Cote Jardin, always good. But avoid Coq d'Or, quality does not match prices (I ordered duck on my 2nd and final visit, the fork nearly bounced across the room it was so rubbery. Great bath toy ...)

St Germain de Pres, one of the best dishes I've had there was the salmon mousse appetiser.

As for Farang Ses, I suppose if someone else was paying the bill for publicity, I might say it was great as well! Just kidding, I simply can't afford it, neither can most people living in Chiang Mai, foreign or local.

Edited by wayfarer108

I haven't tried yet all French restaurant in CM yet, but so far the one I prefere is Chez Gibus!The food was really good (just like back home) :o and the owner's wife who was serving speaks french and very friendly :D. It seems more swiss than french, probably because the owner is from Geneva, though but anyway great food!

Otherwise there is Le Crystal which was really yummy! I think it's the most expensive restorant in CM! Yes it was very expensive and the staff didn't speak french.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I tried Le Crystal tonight, for the first time. The setting was very nice and the service was very good and the food was . . . a bit better than just okay, but not by much. The food at Le Coq d'Or, when we went there last month, was much better.

I haven't tried yet all French restaurant in CM yet, but so far the one I prefere is Chez Gibus!The food was really good (just like back home) :o and the owner's wife who was serving speaks french and very friendly :D. It seems more swiss than french, probably because the owner is from Geneva, though but anyway great food!

I've heard that Gibus is going back to Switzerland, the country where having fun is illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back home from a superb birthday dinner at Cote Jardin (there is a le/la and de/du in there as well but my French is not what it used to be).

Charcuterie and parma ham plates to start, rose wine throughout, steak au poivre and a duck dish were had by the other three adult diners, I had a Corsican wild boar dish . . . . probably in the top three western restaurant meals that I have had in the eight or nine years that I've been in Thailand. I cannot wait to go back.

The pate on the cold cuts plate was fantastic, the entire meal was French country food with a little flair none of the nouveau nonsense, service was excellent - I'll admit that if you cannot read French then the menu board may be a challenge but I'm pretty sure that the staff and/or the boss would be able to talk you through it.

An unequivocal recommendation, if you are yearning French fayre then please try this place.

JxP

Just got back home from a superb birthday dinner at Cote Jardin (there is a le/la and de/du in there as well but my French is not what it used to be).

Charcuterie and parma ham plates to start, rose wine throughout, steak au poivre and a duck dish were had by the other three adult diners, I had a Corsican wild boar dish . . . . probably in the top three western restaurant meals that I have had in the eight or nine years that I've been in Thailand. I cannot wait to go back.

The pate on the cold cuts plate was fantastic, the entire meal was French country food with a little flair none of the nouveau nonsense, service was excellent - I'll admit that if you cannot read French then the menu board may be a challenge but I'm pretty sure that the staff and/or the boss would be able to talk you through it.

An unequivocal recommendation, if you are yearning French fayre then please try this place.

JxP

Where is it? Foolproof directions please.

JxP

At John's Place there is a small soi that heads diagonally back into the city, if you go down this street past John's Place there is an entrance into a boutique hotel (Naga?) then there is a terrace of shop houses, an Italian eatery (also more than passable) being the first establishment, a little further down is The Blackpool Bar (which I'm told does excellent Fish & Chips for B120, I have yet to try it) and then next door is Cote Jardin.

John's Place is near Thapae Gate on the inside of the moat almost opposite The Spotlight, Spotlight being on the outside of the most.

I hope these are foolproof enough! :D

JxP

JxP

At John's Place there is a small soi that heads diagonally back into the city, if you go down this street past John's Place there is an entrance into a boutique hotel (Naga?) then there is a terrace of shop houses, an Italian eatery (also more than passable) being the first establishment, a little further down is The Blackpool Bar (which I'm told does excellent Fish & Chips for B120, I have yet to try it) and then next door is Cote Jardin.

John's Place is near Thapae Gate on the inside of the moat almost opposite The Spotlight, Spotlight being on the outside of the most.

I hope these are foolproof enough! :D

JxP

. . . . . outside of the moAt. :D

JxP

Jonn's Place/Cozy corner is inside the moat. :o

For a bookseller you don't read so well do you? :D

My last post was a correction to my earlier spelling mistake:

I hope these are foolproof enough! wink.gif

JxP

. . . . . outside of the moAt. cool.gif

JxP

JxP

You are making here the ill-founded assumption that people read all the posts a thread before responding to any of them.

You are making here the ill-founded assumption that people read all the posts a thread before responding to any of them.

And get all concerned about minor spelling mistakes. :D

Jonn's Place/Cozy corner is inside the moat. :D

My bad, I guess it is a bit much to expect that someone would read the whole of the post that they are replying to rather than just the last line. :o:D

Rasseru, have you tried Cote Jardin?

JxP