Last Will For Belgian National

sugarhead

I'm a Belgian national, married to an Indonesian national (with no Belgian passport), we have 2 small children who both have Belgian and Indonesian nationality.

Haven't been in my home country for a long time and can't really check on the law, but accordng to my parents I do not need to write a will because if anything happened to me, all my possessions would automatically be transfered to my wife.

Anyone out there familiar with Belgian inheritance laws who could give me a word of advice on this and confirm if this is correct, even if my wife does not have Belgian nationality ? Appreciate.

I'm a Belgian national, married to an Indonesian national (with no Belgian passport), we have 2 small children who both have Belgian and Indonesian nationality.

Haven't been in my home country for a long time and can't really check on the law, but accordng to my parents I do not need to write a will because if anything happened to me, all my possessions would automatically be transfered to my wife.

Anyone out there familiar with Belgian inheritance laws who could give me a word of advice on this and confirm if this is correct, even if my wife does not have Belgian nationality ? Appreciate.

Possibly not too many Belgians out here . . . I would suggest the Belgian Embassy as a first step, but I do believe that a will/testament is required - why chance the state getting any of it . . . as they do in Europe if you die intestate.

I'm Belgian, and here's what I did.

I have a letter signed by me with my last wishes deposited in my file at the Belgian Embassy.

If you want further information plse PM me and will gladly give all the details, which I don't want to spread all over the internet.

Cheers

Onzestan

I'm Belgian too.

I have sent you a link to Notaris.be by PM, hope you are Dutch speaking though.

spieke

Surely the will relates to where you are when you die and where your assets are,

not your country of origin??

I suggest you check with the Belgian Embassy to be sure, but think you need a Thai lawyer.

Surely the will relates to where you are when you die and where your assets are,

not your country of origin??

I suggest you check with the Belgian Embassy to be sure, but think you need a Thai lawyer.

Correct,

Copies to be handed to Embassy for safekeeping in your file, plus instructions of what to do with your mortal remains.

Preferable wills from both partners, after all she might die before you.

Have given all details and contacts at embassy by PM to OP.

cheers

onzestan

Correct,

Copies to be handed to Embassy for safekeeping in your file, plus instructions of what to do with your mortal remains.

Preferable wills from both partners, after all she might die before you.

Have given all details and contacts at embassy by PM to OP.

cheers

onzestan

Stan,

I would be interested in this information too.

I'm living here with the intention to do something about this for over two years now but never came to it.

Cheers,

spieke