Foreign Husbands Fuel Isan Economy

Rooo

Yes, great story on back cover page of 1 April 08, Bangkok Post. The bad side is they treat us like third class citizens, with all the requirement for marriage visa, i.e., show income, pics of inside of house, report every 90 days although most have live at the same address for years on end, sad but so true, oh well TIT. :o:D

Some Forangs spend a lot of money here and while I am very happy living in Thailand I do wonder why the Government does not try to make our life easier. I just sold a condo in Bangkok and pay a very tidy sum for taxes and yet I receive very little from the Government in return.

Big snake and ronthompson, That's because the powers that be, the ones who own almost everything and make all the rules (the chinese elite etc.) don't really want you here. They just want you to bring all your money to Thailand and bugger off, but if you insist on staying by say, marrying a local lady (a bar girl as they would see it, that's their stereotype of the situation) then they are going to make you jump through lots of hoops just so you remember who's boss. If you intend to stay then you have to put up with it. Keep your head down, love your lady, get on with life or leave, even though leaving for some, because of financial reasons ,for example, is not an option they'd prefer to take.

The Ban Jan village in Thung Khao Luang district of this northeastern province has long been called the ''Switzerland of Asia'', not because it has European scenery, but because the district is full of Swiss son-in-laws.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Apr2008_news29.php

The article in the Bangkok Post quoted the research report as finding that Thai-foreigner marriages in the North East have contributed 8.6 billion baht to the local economy and have helped create up to 750,000 jobs for local people.

Surely this must be a massive over-estimate.

THe article goes on to say that the research should help the government come up with a suitable regional development plan. Are there ever regional development plans other than free handouts and credit that will only mire poor people in debt?

At least research such as this is valuable in highlighting the economic contribution of the farang tribe. Encouraging retirement here is official policy, though you wouldn't think so as you queue for five hours at Suan Phlu, then to have your retirement visa turned down because the clerk has just made up a new rule for the day.

Because of these kind-hearted foreign husbands, sick Isaan buffaloes have access to better medical care than many people in America! And that's a very good thing. Yes, I say we keep it up!

It seems to me that foreign tourists money and investment money can come into Thailand and leave again. That is if you book a two week holiday in Phuket, much of that money goes to foreign businesses. Hilton, Sofitel and co. take the profits. The staff in the hotel may ultimately send a few baht home to Isaan.

But if you retire to rural Isaan then your money goes on local building materials, labour, food, etc. and goes directly to the local economy. Also, Farang retirees are nearing the end of their lives and are likely to leave their wealth here when they expire. It may seem like small money but it's well spread out among rural Isaan.

And with the splurge in internet dating in every town and village in Isaan I think more Farangs will come.

Big snake and ronthompson, That's because the powers that be, the ones who own almost everything and make all the rules (the chinese elite etc.) don't really want you here. They just want you to bring all your money to Thailand and bugger off, but if you insist on staying by say, marrying a local lady (a bar girl as they would see it, that's their stereotype of the situation) then they are going to make you jump through lots of hoops just so you remember who's boss. If you intend to stay then you have to put up with it. Keep your head down, love your lady, get on with life or leave, even though leaving for some, because of financial reasons ,for example, is not an option they'd prefer to take.

That's a great post. At last somebody who knows the real score :o

I'd guess that one farang resident spends at least ten times as much on living expenses as the average Thai resident.

I think you can multiplide with 10 :o

Well in the month of March I bought a new truck 1.6M baht, 22K baht for daughters school (this is not a monthly payment) and 25K baht for life insurance (yearly payment), 6.5K baht body work on other car and 4K baht on new doors for the bedrooms. This is all up by Loei and doen't include the monthly expenses. I did spent a few baht on beer fro myself.

Tsocr

Been to Thailand lots of times.. :D even have a modest (c.1,000m2....hahah..sure!) house in Phuket. So I took myself off to Khon Kaen/Udon/Nong Khai/Chumpae for a first time look. First impressions were the people were more genuine, friendly and willing to please. Nice change from some of the scroats in Phuket (pro bar girls, tuk tuk drivers, tailors, time share freaks, etc, etc.).

Big surprise was the real and open industry of nabbing a farang samee. Chumpae lives off it. There is not much else when you go into the country off the beaten track. The number of foreigners was really an eye opener for me....the same in Udon/Khon Kaen. The lady restaurant owner in Chumpae was very open and honest with me when I asked her about it. ALL the girls/ladies want one thing only and they go for it. The 4 businesses beside hers were farang money. Good luck to them and I wish them well.

The sight of many, clearly, Issan ex farming ladies climbing into and out of brand new 4 x4 's and pick up was surprising :o . No doubt they also had the new house ('s??), credit card and all the trappings of their lottery win.

The few times I saw couples together first hand, the husbands did not seem happy bunnies. The ladies were cranky spoke sharply and had their entourage of parasitic relatives with them. Some had faces to sink a ship. I felt sorry for these guys who seemed decent nice guys who had honourable intentions but were obviously out of their depth with these tough ladies and their back up squads. I love it when I hear the good and happy stories to revive my faith in the Thai predatory female. Though it made me winch and view my lady friend (very very pretty, tall, slim, no kids, no hubby and 42) with a new degree of warriness.

This lady (met through her sister here and in touch for months on the net) asked me after 3 hours did I love her. No I replied, much to her obvious shock :D . Will you marry me? Definitely NOT. Shock again :D ! What a hoot! Maybe just a tad premature in asking??!! Mybe she should have waited till the next day....LOL. :D:D . Such is the anxiety to get the guy that all caution is thrown to the wind and their cards laid out on the table far too early.

For sure there are many good and great partnerships and long may they thrive....it is the underdogs I feel sorry for.

Big surprise was the real and open industry of nabbing a farang samee. Chumpae lives off it. There is not much else when you go into the country off the beaten track. The number of foreigners was really an eye opener for me....the same in Udon/Khon Kaen. The lady restaurant owner in Chumpae was very open and honest with me when I asked her about it. ALL the girls/ladies want one thing only and they go for it. The 4 businesses beside hers were farang money. Good luck to them and I wish them well.

The sight of many, clearly, Issan ex farming ladies climbing into and out of brand new 4 x4 's and pick up was surprising :D . No doubt they also had the new house ('s??), credit card and all the trappings of their lottery win.

The few times I saw couples together first hand, the husbands did not seem happy bunnies. The ladies were cranky spoke sharply and had their entourage of parasitic relatives with them. Some had faces to sink a ship. I felt sorry for these guys who seemed decent nice guys who had honourable intentions but were obviously out of their depth with these tough ladies and their back up squads. I love it when I hear the good and happy stories to revive my faith in the Thai predatory female. Though it made me winch and view my lady friend (very very pretty, tall, slim, no kids, no hubby and 42) with a new degree of warriness.

This lady (met through her sister here and in touch for months on the net) asked me after 3 hours did I love her. No I replied, much to her obvious shock :D . Will you marry me? Definitely NOT. Shock again :D ! What a hoot! Maybe just a tad premature in asking??!! Mybe she should have waited till the next day....LOL. :D:D . Such is the anxiety to get the guy that all caution is thrown to the wind and their cards laid out on the table far too early.

For sure there are many good and great partnerships and long may they thrive....it is the underdogs I feel sorry for.

l agree there's a lot of mercenary women here. They're not being overcautious just pragmatic. They know what they want and they don't like time wasters. I know the places you've mentioned and have seen ladies turn up with a new farang within days of the last one leaving. It's just like Pattaya, Phuket or wherever, only they don't have to leave home and there's no shortage of matchmakers to help out. Luckily for them, there's also seems no shortage of new hopefuls. Oh, and btw, it's not that far off the beaten track and there are a few things to do here. My hammock skills have improved no end, and I might add, we're not all under trodden and surounded by parasites ...or are we? :o

The sight of many, clearly, Issan ex farming ladies climbing into and out of brand new 4 x4 's and pick up was surprising :D . No doubt they also had the new house ('s??), credit card and all the trappings of their lottery win.

This lady (met through her sister here and in touch for months on the net) asked me after 3 hours did I love her. No I replied, much to her obvious shock :D . Will you marry me? Definitely NOT. Shock again :D ! What a hoot! Maybe just a tad premature in asking??!! Mybe she should have waited till the next day....LOL. :D:burp: . Such is the anxiety to get the guy that all caution is thrown to the wind and their cards laid out on the table far too early.

l agree there's a lot of mercenary women here. They're not being overcautious just pragmatic. They know what they want and they don't like time wasters. I know the places you've mentioned and have seen ladies turn up with a new farang within days of the last one leaving. It's just like Pattaya, Phuket or wherever, only they don't have to leave home and there's no shortage of matchmakers to help out. Luckily for them, there's also seems no shortage of new hopefuls. Oh, and btw, it's not that far off the beaten track and there are a few things to do here. My hammock skills have improved no end, and I might add, we're not all under trodden and surounded by parasites ...or are we? :o

You are sure right!! My lady for sure wasted none of her time and got straight to the point.. :D ..basically "take care of me!". She is genuinely a lovely lady but it is really off putting to find out so directly that you are the meal ticket. The "beaten track" I meant was to her house.....main road--local road--side road--dirt road--track--drive---finally the house!! :D

I believe I have learned a lot about the blood suckers over the years and hope I can still spot and avoid them. Buit who knows? There are good ones for sure but it is a pity there are not that many who are willing to meet farangs.

As to Issan territory...I really liked it. It just felt good and relaxed. So in the immortal words of that great white leader Arnold Schwarzenegger "I'll be back". The hammock of yours sounds like it gets used a lot!! B) I have to improve my swinging skills as I usually end up in a heap. :D

You are sure right!! My lady for sure wasted none of her time and got straight to the point.. :D ..basically "take care of me!". She is genuinely a lovely lady but it is really off putting to find out so directly that you are the meal ticket. The "beaten track" I meant was to her house.....main road--local road--side road--dirt road--track--drive---finally the house!! :D

I believe I have learned a lot about the blood suckers over the years and hope I can still spot and avoid them. Buit who knows? There are good ones for sure but it is a pity there are not that many who are willing to meet farangs.

As to Issan territory...I really liked it. It just felt good and relaxed. So in the immortal words of that great white leader Arnold Schwarzenegger "I'll be back". The hammock of yours sounds like it gets used a lot!! :D I have to improve my swinging skills as I usually end up in a heap. :D

There are a lot of girls willing to meet farangs. The unattached guys that drift in from time to time never stay on their own for long. I'm sure that most of the girls are genuine. I think most just need security and stability in their lives rather than being out and out gold diggers. Trust your feelings and don't rush too quickly into buying and building and you'll be fine.

I have to come clean and admit that I lied about the hammock :o My trees aren't strong enough yet but I reckon I'll be there soon. Rather than trying to share my questionable experience, I was trying to get to 100 posts before turning in. Now I've reached that and promotion to "senior member" I can relax and sink back into obscurity once more. :D

I know the places you've mentioned and have seen ladies turn up with a new farang within days of the last one leaving. It's just like Pattaya, Phuket or wherever, only they don't have to leave home and there's no shortage of matchmakers to help out. Luckily for them, there's also seems no shortage of new hopefuls.

Ahhh yes, cold leo in hand watching the world go by and the new victims turning up.

I was in the Chiwan palace restaurant one day in Chumphae and a farang turned up with the entourage in tow. He was pasty white and wore socks with his sandles so I assumed he was new blood. I was facing them and overheard him say "I have run out of money"....dead silence for about 20 seconds...then he says he was only joking.

The teeruk laughed with relief and said "Ohh you make me worry to much, ha ha" She said something in Thai to the entourage and they all laughed , I wish I could understand Thai.

He thought it was funny as well........poor schmuck!!!

There are a lot of girls willing to meet farangs. The unattached guys that drift in from time to time never stay on their own for long. I'm sure that most of the girls are genuine. I think most just need security and stability in their lives rather than being out and out gold diggers. Trust your feelings and don't rush too quickly into buying and building and you'll be fine.

I have to come clean and admit that I lied about the hammock :o My trees aren't strong enough yet but I reckon I'll be there soon. Rather than trying to share my questionable experience, I was trying to get to 100 posts before turning in. Now I've reached that and promotion to "senior member" I can relax and sink back into obscurity once more. :D

We should have done our 100th posts together, I foolishly did mine over in the Buddhism forum a second ago. As for a 101th post- I think it's implicit in a relationship where one partner is coming from a much richer country, that he take care of the other, and that should be obvious to that partner. I for one know there is something a little bit abnormal about supporting a significant other from a different part of the world, but I do it anyway, and I don't expect it to be a hoity-toity normal western relationship ... prepared in the back of my head that something could go wrong. That way when it does go wrong, I'm not one of those startled farangs. I'm not defending mean-spirited thai girls or persecuting naive farangs, i'm just defending the reasonable person standard.

Edited by RY12

We should have done our 100th posts together, I foolishly did mine over in the Buddhism forum a second ago. As for a 101th post- I think it's implicit in a relationship where one partner is coming from a much richer country, that he take care of the other, and that should be obvious to that partner. I for one know there is something a little bit abnormal about supporting a significant other from a different part of the world, but I do it anyway, and I don't expect it to be a hoity-toity normal western relationship ... prepared in the back of my head that something could go wrong. That way when it does go wrong, I'm not one of those startled farangs. I'm not defending mean-spirited thai girls or persecuting naive farangs, i'm just defending the reasonable person standard.

My bold. That's my view. It's a bit of a cliche I know but "don't put in more than you're prepared to walk away from" still rings true for me. I guess I've always been a "the glass is half empty" sort of person.

Could your 100th post in the Buddhist forum return as a better one one day?

I'm always confused by those posts here that seem to believe people with their hand out is the norm in Issan. My wife's family has never asked me for anything. However, comma, I have "helped" them with a number of things, same as if I were back in my home country. I built my parents a house and supported them the last 20 years of their lives. I raised and financed 3 kids, and unfortunately made two ex-wives fairly wealthy. Except for the latter I did these things because I wanted to. In addition, if my in-laws there obviously needed something that I could provide and they couldn't, I took care of it. At this point in my life my wife and her family are as much a part of my family as my own and it seems natural to me to treat them the same. Is this foolish, extreme or bizarre behavior on my part?

I'm always confused by those posts here that seem to believe people with their hand out is the norm in Issan. My wife's family has never asked me for anything. However, comma, I have "helped" them with a number of things, same as if I were back in my home country. I built my parents a house and supported them the last 20 years of their lives. I raised and financed 3 kids, and unfortunately made two ex-wives fairly wealthy. Except for the latter I did these things because I wanted to. In addition, if my in-laws there obviously needed something that I could provide and they couldn't, I took care of it. At this point in my life my wife and her family are as much a part of my family as my own and it seems natural to me to treat them the same. Is this foolish, extreme or bizarre behavior on my part?

No..........I don't think so. You obviously know your relationship with your wife and her family, and if you have the means, ....why not.

I'm a cynic and it has served me well. I love my wife and have bought her property as well as spent money on her house. I'm comfortable with that. HOWEVER, if things were to go bad tomorrow I would be on my way back to the farang ghettos and I would NOT miss any meals. That's the way it is. One never knows what tomorrow will bring and if you don't look after yourself, no one else will for sure.

It's the old classic of never putting all your eggs in one basket. In my younger day I could always make more money but those days are in the past. At this point there are no second chances.

As to Issan territory...I really liked it. It just felt good and relaxed. So in the immortal words of that great white leader Arnold Schwarzenegger "I'll be back". The hammock of yours sounds like it gets used a lot!! :D I have to improve my swinging skills as I usually end up in a heap. :D

Well done you "old" senior!!! Maybe I'll congratulate you 30 odd times and I'll join you in the heavenly sphere of the upper class members here!!!

The local economy clearly floats on foreign money. I think this is great when all is well. There are many clever guys with their wits about them and they are the successful ones in love and marriage. I have been enough times to, hopefully, recognise the real predator and they scare the hel_l out of me. What does the future hold for someone attached to these women when their feelings are solely for your wallet alone??. What does this hold for the not so clever guys who believe all they hear and feel?? This is heart breaking stuff and many a man has been broken emotionally, spiritually and financially. I have seen this first hand and the women do not see the results of what they have done to these decent guys, and more to the point they do not care. They are devestated and never really recover from it. Fuelling the local economy based on mutual love and respect is great and I would have no problem in doing the same for the right reasons.

Just to clarify something and avoid any confusion . :D

The lady I went to meet, as I have said, is truly a lovely, warm, caring and I honestly believe to be a genuine person and not to be confused with the bloodsuckers I referred to. She is not the mercenary type.... naive yes, in being so so open, so so soon. This is just so scarey for a guy from the west as it shows an ulterior motive and we can not handle this. . Is this normal up in these parts??

My reference to her being slim, single etc, was to show her in the good light she deserves and to show she had a good and honest past and background and was making her own way in the world. We got on really well..had fun and laughted a lot. But how can you rid yourself of the fact that marriage is the only priority? :o

:D Just on the taking care side of things.How much money should i be sending to her each month.This is my first foray into the Thai G/F sceene.I do like this girl and want her to be comfortable but not like a bloody QUEEN.She lives in Srisuk about 2 hours east of Kohn Kaen with her 2 teenage kids and shells out 2000 baht a month for a bike.Pays no rent as house is from bastard who left 3 years ago and sends no money for the kids as usual.I been with her for 3 months and will be back again in August for 3 months.I cant wait..... B)

:D Just on the taking care side of things.How much money should i be sending to her each month.This is my first foray into the Thai G/F sceene.I do like this girl and want her to be comfortable but not like a bloody QUEEN.She lives in Srisuk about 2 hours east of Kohn Kaen with her 2 teenage kids and shells out 2000 baht a month for a bike.Pays no rent as house is from bastard who left 3 years ago and sends no money for the kids as usual.I been with her for 3 months and will be back again in August for 3 months.I cant wait..... B)

OK.....girl works in a shop/restaurant gets about 4-6,000 p.m./// house maid 6-7k///bank clerk 10k///good job in big company 12k-15k.///

I have heard of girls in Bkk getting 15k basic in the bigger hotels and my Ex GF who works in a 5 star Spa in Bkk (no massgage!!) gets 20,000 which is a really good salary and pbobably equal to middle manager in a bank.

So what to give? A bar girl will ask for 10k minimum and expect 20k. In your case I reckon 8-10k would be more than enough. By the way....I NEVER have sent money. I do not get into the bar girl thing and get involved with one. If they want to stay with me I want them to test it by they working and been independent. If they come through then fine... it shows I am not the ATM.

With that all too familiar Thai expression....."up to you!!"

Chook dee to you/////Good luck to you.

OK.....girl works in a shop/restaurant gets about 4-6,000 p.m./// house maid 6-7k///bank clerk 10k///good job in big company 12k-15k.///

I have heard of girls in Bkk getting 15k basic in the bigger hotels and my Ex GF who works in a 5 star Spa in Bkk (no massgage!!) gets 20,000 which is a really good salary and pbobably equal to middle manager in a bank.

So what to give? A bar girl will ask for 10k minimum and expect 20k. In your case I reckon 8-10k would be more than enough. By the way....I NEVER have sent money. I do not get into the bar girl thing and get involved with one. If they want to stay with me I want them to test it by they working and been independent. If they come through then fine... it shows I am not the ATM.

With that all too familiar Thai expression....."up to you!!"

Chook dee to you/////Good luck to you.

Most of your estimates for Bangkok particularly office workers are too low. Only send for exceptional proveable reasons.