Thailand To Excavate Volcano For Additional Domestic Oil

Jai Dee

Thailand to excavate volcano for additional domestic oil

Deputy Director of the Department of Mineral Fuels Songpop Polchan (ทรงภพ พลจันทร์) revealed that with rising fuel prices, the Kingdom has had to turn to advancing technologies for the drilling and search for petroleum, which has been beneficial in increasing the nation’s oil output to 200 thousand barrels per day. Thailand is also seeking to become more self dependant for energy with the domestically made oil exceeding that of Brunei.

Latest reports have shown that Pan Orient, a concession holder for the Na Sanun (นาสนุ่น) area of Vichianburi have discovered the nation’s first volcanic oil reserve, which has the capability of producing 1 thousand to 2 thousand barrels of oil per day. The reserve will add to the nation’s capability to produce energy for domestic use.

The Ministry of Energy is currently meeting with related organizations to decide if it should allow for concessions to be established for private companies to survey and extract mineral fuels in the nation. The private companies would help to be a buffer during negotiations for oil excavation in neighboring nations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 April 2008

Exceeding the oil production of Brunei is not a big deal, as it is natural gas that is Brunei's big resource.

And since Thailand has getting on for 200 times the population as potential dependants on the oil, the spokesman seems to be using a totally irrelevant statistic.

ave discovered the nation’s first volcanic oil reserve, which has the capability of producing 1 thousand to 2 thousand barrels of oil per day. The reserve will add to the nation’s capability to produce energy for domestic use.

Ah ah ah !

Nobody is fed up with those lunatic officials, who give insane statements ?

-Thailand produces 130 000 barrel per day of crude oil.

-And Thailand consumes 922 000 barrels per day of oil (2006).

Source : http://www.eia.doe.gov/cabs/Thailand/Oil.html

So... what are 2 000 barrels more per day ? "Nation's capability to..." ?

:o

Give me a break. A thai break.

Hey, be careful, I have a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree! I also probably have the other kind of BS degree as well. At any rate, this story is rather confusing. What are volcanic reserves exactly--is there some volcano in Thailand that I need to worry about when they start digging into it? Is this similar to shale deposits?

Any explanation is welcomed.

Any explanation is welcomed.

With the ridiculous amount of oil... and the "volcano" story... it could be... you know... a thai version of April Fool's day.

They like to take from us all our stupid traditions. :o

Or "BS" could be "Bull shit" ? :D

Last point : the PRD (propaganda staffel of the gvt, source of the story) is well known for its lunatic articles, misleading headlines and other amazing writting works. So beware.

[to have a look on their... production, click here]

:D

Edited by cclub75

Maybe they have discovered an oil accumulation in granitic basement rock similar to the well documented and prolific Bach Ho (White Tiger) offshore field in Vietnam. Granite is an intrusive igneous rock so maybe this has been incorrectly translated as "volcanic" which is extrusive igneous rock.

Of course maybe they posted a day too late.

I have never heard of volcanic oil deposits before, to my knowledge oil is prehistoric compressed organic matter. This is a new one to me.

1000 barrels a day wouldn't be financially viable to develope I wouldn't think unless it was in Ma and Pa's backyard in Texas with a "nodding donkey" pumping away slowly.

The oil is being produced from what are generally called "volcanics". Updates and information are available here.

Oil production comes from volcanic reservoir rocks or extrusive igneous rocks which have sufficient porosity developed to trap hydrocarbons. The source for the hydrocarbons themselves is probably the sedimentary rocks (terrestrial or marine) encasing the volcanic rocks, unless of course you believe the way-out theories that hydrocarbons come from the mantle. The volcanoes responsible for outpouring the volcanic rocks have long died (millions of years ago).

Lets see now; import a few thousand Burmese laborers and pay them dismal wages, no HSE and then call the immigration police when payday nears and have them deported for illegal entry (don't forget to fine them!!).

Thats how you can excavate a volcano for next to nothing; actually will make money on the exploration portion of the project.

1000 barrels a day wouldn't be financially viable to develope I wouldn't think unless it was in Ma and Pa's backyard in Texas with a "nodding donkey" pumping away slowly.

I think that's roughly the combined-output of the 3 small oilfields in Fang, out of 6 known to exist, which are currently operated by the Defense Energy Department. :o

One of the things with the Thai news--or should I say propoganda machine--is that they so frequently fail to put things in perspective. When this was reported (and on the radio), it sounded like a big deal. Invoking Brunei into the equations, for the average person, makes it an even bigger deal. Then when it gets put into perspective, you almost wonder how it made the news at all.