What's This Artwork ?

adjan jb

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct Cavannaugh.

Yes I thought I'd try something different. It seemed to stop those Europhiles in their tracks! :D

I sensed you were envying the other players Croc; you simply couldn't follow up and instead you posted some obscure Oz artist, nobody else outside Ayers Rock ever heard of........ :o

I mean: just look at that silly woman in the painting; she simply makes everybody lose appetite.

What a world.

LaoPo

OK here we go.

Katsushika Hokusai, The Great Wave off Kanagawa

To the OP and players:

I think we have to adjust the rules a bit. The main rules states:

"All you do is post a photo of a more or less famous artwork (painting, sculpture,...)"

We're drifting away and this play, in the end will die a slow death if we don't do something about it. I mean, virtually nobody will have ever heard of Katsushika Hokusai and that includes me, but I recognized the tsnuami wave as being one of the most important works of art from Japan and it was copied thousands of time also by western artists.

But the artist itself...I doubt anybody here would have known his name like we all know Van Gogh, Dali, Picasso

Any suggestions for adjusting, adapting or describing the rules different or is it exactly as the OP meant it to be ?

Just my opinion.

LaoPo

You have correctly identified the painting LaoPo.

I would hope that this thread does not intend to revolve around the top 100 European artists but has an international and educational element to it also.

But I guess it is up to the originator.

OK here we go.

To the OP and players:

"All you do is post a photo of a more or less famous artwork (painting, sculpture,...)"

We're drifting away and this play, in the end will die a slow death if we don't do something about it. I mean, virtually nobody will have ever heard of Katsushika Hokusai and that includes me, but I recognized the tsnuami wave as being one of the most important works of art from Japan and it was copied thousands of time also by western artists.

But the artist itself...I doubt anybody here would have known his name like we all know Van Gogh, Dali, Picasso

Any suggestions for adjusting, adapting or describing the rules different or is it exactly as the OP meant it to be ?

Just my opinion.

LaoPo

OK here we go.

To the OP and players:

Just my opinion.

LaoPo

You were saying....? :o

Since you are the OP, please let us know what you wish to do with the Thread ?

I have no problems going far beyond the well known artists as LeungKen suggests; however, I guarantee that this thread will degenerate and die a slow death.

But, OK, I will post in my next post an artist most of you haven't heard about and let's see how far we come, ok ?

He/she is quite well know within a certain geocraphical area so it's not created by my neighbour girl :D

LaoPo

LaoPo I don't really want to get into an argument on what is and what is not art.

I would just state that I believe Hokusai "The Great Wave" is recognised universally as a great work, a copy of which is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and should not be viewed as the first step in degenerating this thread.

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/coll...3238&PgSz=1

What are these artworks and who created them ?

post-13995-1207918554_thumb.png

post-13995-1207918576_thumb.jpg

post-13995-1207918600_thumb.jpg

Just to emphasize how difficult, complicated, beautiful and fascinating Art is, and how difficult it will be, if we don't set borders..... :o

All three by the same artist.

LaoPo

LaoPo I don't really want to get into an argument on what is and what is not art.

I would just state that I believe Hokusai "The Great Wave" is recognised universally as a great work*, a copy of which is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and should not be viewed as the first step in degenerating this thread.

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_art/coll...3238&PgSz=1

I agree* and otherwise it wouldn't have been copied so many times also by Western artists. But...and I would like to have an honest answer by the others IF they recognized the painting as such and knew WHO the artist was and which country he was from....?

I mean, our posts just crossed each other, and I wonder if my 3 (not 1) works of art will be recognized; the artist is known the world over.

I am sorry LeungKen, it is not to ridicule your image or the thread but if we don't set rules, we end up nowhere.

'My' artist is not just somebody, he's in wikipedia and art books also, just like Hokusai, although not born in the 18th century like Hokusai; he's still alive.

* that's why I wrote when I posted the artist, Katsushika Hokusai:

".....but I recognized the tsnuami wave as being one of the most important works of art from Japan and it was copied thousands of time also by western artists."

Note:

LeungKen: it was not my intention to get into an argument with you or the other players about "what is art and what is not art".

I was suggesting we need 'rules' here, like in any other game in the world. If we don't do that, we're lost.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

OK here we go.

To the OP and players:

Just my opinion.

LaoPo

As I said in the opening post, any imput is welcome. I'm just the OP, I don't "own" this thread. It belongs to all the members and the rules can be updated.

That said, I'm afraid this thread will die a slow death if it always revolves around the most famous Farang :D painters . Their works are almost always very distinctive (Monet for one), it is too easy (though it's possible to fool people by posting pics of early works). In "What's the City?", people post pics of cities where they have never been before but with a few clues and an intelligent google search it's not too difficult to find the answer.

As LeungKen put it, this thread has an international and educational element to it also.

I don't want to set any limits because I'm not so sure how to do that: French painters are in, Japanese painters, even the very famous ones, are out ?

But to make sure that some Oz posters :o don't steal the game by posting only pics of obscure Outback artists, maybe we could alternate countries (Forbiden to play the same country two times in a row)

I hope that every poster will be kind enough to give the clue needed to start a search if he/she chooses to post a pic of a not so famous artist.

I believe that we are all intelligent enough to know that it would be unfair and stupid to choose an artist who is totally unknow outside Hazard County.

Just my two cents. What do you think ?

P.S: IMO Katsushika Hokusai was fair.

OK here we go.

To the OP and players:

Just my opinion.

LaoPo

As I said in the opening post, any imput is welcome. I'm just the OP, I don't "own" this thread. It belongs to all the members and the rules can be updated.

That said, I'm afraid this thread will die a slow death if it always revolves around the most famous Farang :D painters . Their works are almost always very distinctive (Monet for one), it is too easy (though it's possible to fool people by posting pics of early works). In "What's the City?", people post pics of cities where they have never been before but with a few clues and an intelligent google search it's not too difficult to find the answer.

As LeungKen put it, this thread has an international and educational element to it also.

I don't want to set any limits because I'm not so sure how to do that: French painters are in, Japanese painters, even the very famous ones, are out ?

But to make sure that some Oz posters :o don't steal the game by posting only pics of obscure Outback artists, maybe we could alternate countries (Forbiden to play the same country two times in a row)

I hope that every poster will be kind enough to give the clue needed to start a search if he/she chooses to post a pic of a not so famous artist.

I believe that we are all intelligent enough to know that it would be unfair and stupid to choose an artist who is totally unknow outside Hazard County.

Just my two cents. What do you think ?

P.S: IMO Katsushika Hokusai was fair.

1. LK: Lisa Dinhofer ? No.

2. Adjan: it doesn't have to be around 'famous' artists. There are thousands and thousands of artists nobody has ever heard of, still left. But to 'forbid' the same country in a row is fine with me.

A clue to start with ? It wasn't done in the beginning and it's not done in 'city' or 'place' also. It's the players who start guessing, right ?

You mentioned: "a clue needed......of a not so famous artist".

Not famous for WHOM ? Australian artists are well know in Oz, but not in Poland, US or Belgium. The same for an artist from Spain, very well know in Spain but not in Bangkok or Amsterdam.

Adjan: did you know and recognize the 'wave' immediately ?

well...let's see what comes out of my 3 works of art...

Hint ?: Europe.

LaoPo

but if we don't set rules, we end up nowhere.

LaoPo

Your ideas ?

OK, let me try:

1. Do we include contemporary artists, still alive ?

2. Do we include contemporary artists from EVERY single country, including Thailand, Nepal, Mongolia and African art? (just to show HOW difficult it will become)

3. Which century do we start from ? 12th century, 18th ?

4. Are we restricting ourselves to paintings and sculptures or do we 'play' extreme art as well ?

I can think of more rules but let's start with these

your original description was:

So, where do we go or do we leave it where you started ? :o

If so, we will always have the problem: famous for WHOM...?

LaoPo

What are these artworks and who created them ?

post-13995-1207918554_thumb.png

post-13995-1207918576_thumb.jpg

post-13995-1207918600_thumb.jpg

Just to emphasize how difficult, complicated, beautiful and fascinating Art is, and how difficult it will be, if we don't set borders..... :o

All three by the same artist.

LaoPo

Let's give more hints:

post-13995-1207923074_thumb.jpg

post-13995-1207923091_thumb.jpg

ALL works by the same artist...

LaoPo