Vulgar T - Shirts

cheynewalk

The other day I was in in Tesco's, Fang when I saw a teenage girl walking around wearing a T-Shirt with the words "I'm A Rugby Whore" emblazoned across the top with some other smaller writing and pictures below a la Rugby World Cup last year. I assumed the young lady didn't understand the writing and asked my thai girlfriend to explain to her what whore meant. She went straight home to change it. She probably bought it elsewhere and Fang sees few falang, but I wonder if this was some sort of joke that some falang over here is playing on an unsuspecting thai public? Has anybody else seen the T-shirt?

Surely no falang woman in her right mind who reads english would wear something like that or am I behind the times? I see many thais wearing T-shirts here with quaint thai-english style writing on them usually expressing love, philosophy etc and it's easy to spot a thai author at work, but not something as balatantly sexual as this.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you knew anything about rugby you wouldn't have posted this.

A term coined by Jim Simms some 20 years ago, this is rugby humour for someone who plays for, or even supports, another team rather than their own (ie the winning team).

Yes I know 'whore' is an offensive word, but it has to be taken in context. If she had a shirt saying "I am a whore", then you should have intervened and explained, but in this context it is absolutely harmless.

Rugby humour and mentality is not easy to understand if you have never played. My guess is that her farang boyfriend/ husband is a rugby fan and give her this shirt in good faith.

My motto - keep your nose out of things that you don't understand, you end up looking more foolish than your alleged 'victim'.

I agree with ,my sister-in -law was once given a free really "dodgy" T-Shirt.

It was released by a company selling dried dog food.

"Do it Doggy ,with xxxx dog biscuits "

It is so difficult to explain as well,and you get bad looks from the wife when you do try to explain.

Put me in the dog-house,anyway !

:o Wiley Coyote

Thanks for the enlightenment sweet chariot, I hadn't heard that before even though I follow rugby (sadly Australia). In any case I still don't think I'd be giving my thai wife/girlfriend a t-shirt with that on the front to wear around.

My guess is that her farang boyfriend/ husband is a rugby fan and give her this shirt in good faith.

My motto - keep your nose out of things that you don't understand, you end up looking more foolish than your alleged 'victim'.

my guess (assuming it was) her farang boyfriend/husband is nothing but an uneducated low-life clown with neither respect for females nor any knowledge how to behave properly not only in this country but anywhere. no explanation (no matter how weird) justifies that a lady wears a t-shirt "i am a whore"!

:o

Many Thais whether they are given t-shirts or buy themselves don’t always understand what’s printed on them. Even if they understand the words the meanings of the words can be lost to them. Most times they just like the colors and design.

There are many well traveled Farangs walking about wearing t-shirts from other countries that probably have no idea what is printed on them.

My guess is that her farang boyfriend/ husband is a rugby fan and give her this shirt in good faith.

my guess (assuming it was) her farang boyfriend/husband is nothing but an uneducated low-life clown with neither respect for females nor any knowledge how to behave properly not only in this country but anywhere. no explanation (no matter how weird) justifies that a lady wears a t-shirt "i am a whore"!

What are you both talking about? Surely you must realise that about 99.5% of Thai women don't have farang botfriends or spouses. There was no mention that the young lady wearing the t-shirt was accompanied by a non-Thai.

:D

But it didn't say that did it.

Only on the first page of the topic, and already the four word slogan being discussed is being misquoted. :o

I haven't seen the shirt in question but I have certainly seen plenty of young Thai folks wearing T shirts with 4 letter words on them or phrases with dodgy double meanings. I dont think most realise what the words or phrases mean and it is just a fashion thing, like Thai businesses having an email address on their letterhead (but then never checking the account). :o

The curious flip side of this is how rarely you see Thais wearing T-shirts with Thai words on them. Try going into a T shirt shop and buying one! You will see T-shirts with ancient lanna alphabet on them (in Chiang Mai) or the T shirts for beer or red bull, etc, but very little else. Thai old fashioned and daggy? Western (esp USA) cool as .... a bit sad really.

- CB

We should do an experiment with like 300 shirts. I'll print up a funky designed shirt that says boldly "I'm a Crack Hoe!" and print it out on cute form fitting T shirts for girls, 3 colors pink, white, & black. How many people think I won't sell all 300 within a week or less? We will set em up at some of those lil clothing tents outside of places like Lotus and Carefor :o

Only on the first page of the topic, and already the four word slogan being discussed is being misquoted. :o

so in your opinion omitting the word "rugby" in "I'm A Rugby Whore" is misquoting? what part of "whore" is it that you don't understand? would you let your wife, daughter, girlfriend wear a t-shirt with any word combination but including "whore"?

GIVE ME A BREAK MAN! :D

These attempts of humor type T-shirts, while may be regarded as tasteless, have been around for decades.

samples:

http://www.cracksmokingshirts.com/index.php?action=pricelist

I had a T-shirt designed for Tennis players, and it said "The Stiffer the Better," back in my younger days.

It is just a pinch of humor, makes the day go by better.

Swallow my pride.... now that is a funny

Edited by Dakhar

so in your opinion omitting the word "rugby" in "I'm A Rugby Whore" is misquoting? what part of "whore" is it that you don't understand? would you let your wife, daughter, girlfriend wear a t-shirt with any word combination but including "whore"?

GIVE ME A BREAK MAN! :D

Not just in my opinion, it's a fact you misquoted. You left a significant word out a four word slogan which changes it's meaning entirely for god's sake. :D

"I'm a whore" and "I'm a rugby whore" are different.

Look at this definition of 'Post Whore'

Post Whore Definition

But by your understanding calling someone a post whore is the same as calling them a whore? Or a prostitute?

would you let your wife, daughter, girlfriend wear a t-shirt with any word combination but including "whore"?

Well it's probably not the best slogan to have on a t shirt outside of a native english speaking country because as we have seen from the OP, people misinterpret it.

Also, there is no set dress codes for my girlfriends. Do you have these regulations in place for your wife? What else isn't she allowed to wear?

Edited by burman

would you let your wife, daughter, girlfriend wear a t-shirt with any word combination but including "whore"?

Well it's probably not the best slogan to have on a t shirt outside of a native english speaking country because as we have seen from the OP, people misinterpret it.

Also, there is no set dress codes for my girlfriends. Do you have these regulations in place for your wife? What else isn't she allowed to wear?

How many have you got??

The women I dated, wore what ever, they pleased.... and if I were a rugby player, I would have been a very proud rugby player.

Life is too short to be soo concerned. She was not insulting others etc... just makeing a jest. Reminds me of the "got milk" t-shirts.

If you knew anything about rugby you wouldn't have posted this.

A term coined by Jim Simms some 20 years ago, this is rugby humour for someone who plays for, or even supports, another team rather than their own (ie the winning team).

Yes I know 'whore' is an offensive word, but it has to be taken in context. If she had a shirt saying "I am a whore", then you should have intervened and explained, but in this context it is absolutely harmless.

Rugby humour and mentality is not easy to understand if you have never played. My guess is that her farang boyfriend/ husband is a rugby fan and give her this shirt in good faith.

Horrible people, rugby players, what about moral values?

Losers, scum of the earth.

Sounds familiar? Seems you're a man of double standards. Dying of an OD makes you a loser, but whoring and snoring is alright! Are you a Republican?

I have seen loads of vulgar Tee-Shirts here in Pattaya:

"I'm the best F*** in the world"

"Hot Pu***"

"Every Hole Please"

"Finger Me"

"Soak My A***"

And the worst has got to be:

"Good Guys Go To Heaven, Bad Guys Go To Pattaya"

Yes there appears to be plenty of t-shirts about.One that i find in bad taste is the Nazi emblem not sure if Thai people now what there motto's mean.

The Swastika is not offensive in Thailand mate. Im sure somebody else can go into a bit more depth about it but the Swastika is some kinda buddhist symbol, Has been for hundreds of years, I believe it means purity but don't quote me on it. Ive seen plenty of Swastika earings in LOS but it's nothing to do with Nazism.

Yes there appears to be plenty of t-shirts about.One that i find in bad taste is the Nazi emblem not sure if Thai people now what there motto's mean.

The Swastika is not offensive in Thailand mate. Im sure somebody else can go into a bit more depth about it but the Swastika is some kinda buddhist symbol, Has been for hundreds of years, I believe it means purity but don't quote me on it. Ive seen plenty of Swastika earings in LOS but it's nothing to do with Nazism.

Yes, but too often we see swastikas in combination with German military symbols.