Where Are Jrd Tornado Bikes Manufactured? Worth?

Mitker

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a bike. I already have a car so it's just for "light" journeys, mostly going to work and maybe sometimes travelling around.

I've never owned any so my requirements are pretty basic. I was first thinking about a simple Honda Dream or whatever could bring me there. For almost the same price, the shop I went proposes also the JRD Tornado bike and I started thinking that it might be a more comfortable option than the Dream: side boxes where to carry my computer and a more comfortable design for both driver and passenger.

Q1: I've seen the JRD company is based in Thailand but I wondered if they merely assemble parts originating from another country or if they really manufacture them from scratch?

Q2: any advice about the quality of the bike? I've looked on internet but could only find 2 posts, one recommending it, the second not. Does anyone owns one and would share experience?

Thank you.

I put the JRD Tornado together with other Thai chopper style “show” motorcycles, I say show, as most of them are heavily underpowered.

The engine displacement rules, changed in Thailand, they now more uniform to what the rest of the region sales. I would say, wait and see what going to happen.

Probably soon it is possible to import a 250cc Honda CBF250 from Malaysia and legally register it for almost nothing. For about the same price as a Honda Phantom, including import duty and transport you can ride a bike which is everything the Honda Phantom wants to be, but not is.

I bought a JRD 4 years ago, biggest load of rubbish on 2 wheels Ive ever had, spent more in the garage than it did on the road at first. Constant problems, slow, poor to non existant customer service, parts only available from JRD dealers. Its now sitting in a shed at my in laws house cos I couldnt sell it. Stay well clear of them.

Thanks for these first comments. They are useful for newcomers like me in this market :o

Actually the JRD website is a complete mess full of dead links (even the e-mail address doesn't work) but I didn't know if it had to be blamed on the IT staff only or if it reflects the global company/product reliability.

Your comments rather lead me to the second conclusion...

Looks like I'll have to extend my market survey :D

Actual a Honda CBF250 cost not much more then a CBR150r in Thailand. The extra 20 to 30,000 Baht is needed to get it into Thailand and get it registered.

Nice sized bike for short hops and round town runs where larger machines basically are more hassle than they are worth...

Not sure I would want to tour the whole country (tho it wouldnt be too painful really) on it.. But thats a good compromise bike at a good price IMO.

The CBF-250 is a great bike Honda CBF-250 it is what the Honda Hornet 600 is to the Honda CBR-600RR. Good riding, with more all-round-fun, most dedicated sportbike buyers get bored quickly.

Going from A to Z and show some power here and there, your ride is a Honda CBF250. nothing with less engine displacement can keep up (for long). Sure some 150cc riders will try flat on their tank when you ride with one hand on the bars and drinking your 7eleven slurpy with the other hand. Never mind Honda Phantom's you not see them, Honda did not call them Phantom's for nothing......

Edited by Richard-BKK

Now if the powers to be would just go ahead and either start importing these bikes being promised or if some shop owners where to get them, we'd be set.

I keep seeing talk, and I realise that Thailand is not the West, but how long have promises, rumours, and innuendos been floating around? It gets extremely frustrating!

The CBF-250 is a great bike Honda CBF-250 it is what the Honda Hornet 600 is to the Honda CBR-600RR. Good riding, with more all-round-fun, most dedicated sportbike buyers get bored quickly.

Going from A to Z and show some power here and there, your ride is a Honda CBF250. nothing with less engine displacement can keep up (for long). Sure some 150cc riders will try flat on their tank when you ride with one hand on the bars and drinking your 7eleven slurpy with the other hand. Never mind Honda Phantom's you not see them, Honda did not call them Phantom's for nothing......

I'll assume that's a swipe at us 4 stroke riders, because even that bike would quickly be looking at the backside of a NSR.

That's not to even mention that it's sitting at 6.5 Kilo/HP, versus the CBR 150R's 6.2. So the 150 has a better weight to horsepower ratio. Although I suspect you wouldn't let something like that get in your way of slagging the CBR 150......

Thanks for these first comments. They are useful for newcomers like me in this market :o

Actually the JRD website is a complete mess full of dead links (even the e-mail address doesn't work) but I didn't know if it had to be blamed on the IT staff only or if it reflects the global company/product reliability.

Your comments rather lead me to the second conclusion...

Looks like I'll have to extend my market survey :D

Its a shame really, the bike suited me perfectly, comfortable, really good for luggage carrying, and looked nice. It was so unreliable though, bits either broke, fell off or simply stopped working. It got through umpteen headlight bulbs, special low wattage halogen bulbs only available from a dealer, exhaust broke, battery lasted a couple of months, cables broke, engine parts gave up the ghost, seat split, etc etc etc and all in the 1 year warrenty. I wanted to sell it and buy a Nuovo but no one wanted it, not even in PX.

If and when next time it will be a Jap bike!

@Dave_boo The amount of horsepower per kilo is an interesting point, on paper it will look in favor of the CBR-150r, but the CBR-150 delivers its peak power at 10,500rpm. Hardly the amount of RPM’s you use to take off at the traffic lights, or when you are cruising and want to overtake a car. Lets face it; the CBR-150R has not the same powerband as most 250cc motorcycles will over.

In some other posts I saw even that you compared the single cylinder CBR-150r with the 2-cylinder Kawasaki Ninja.

The Honda CBR-150r is a nice bike, nothing wrong with it, but be honest if you ride 120km/h and want to overtake a car in front of you. How long does it take to get enough power out of the bike?

I never said it was easy to pass when riding 120 on the highway. But at least the CBR150R is doing 9,000 rpm then and is near its peak power. Horsepower is what you need at high speed, and even four more might help.

I am all for a reasonably priced Japanese 250 (although the price of the Ninja 250 sounds too dear). The CBF250 looks identical in style to the Mexican CBX250, which has a SOHC engine. Does the CBF250 have disk rear brake? What is the fuel tank size? How does 22 Nm compare to the CBR150R, and at what speeds does the torque come on strong?

If Honda is ready to sell us the CBR250 in the next few months, I am ready to buy.

@Dave_boo The amount of horsepower per kilo is an interesting point, on paper it will look in favor of the CBR-150r, but the CBR-150 delivers its peak power at 10,500rpm. Hardly the amount of RPM's you use to take off at the traffic lights, or when you are cruising and want to overtake a car. Lets face it; the CBR-150R has not the same powerband as most 250cc motorcycles will over.

In some other posts I saw even that you compared the single cylinder CBR-150r with the 2-cylinder Kawasaki Ninja.

The Honda CBR-150r is a nice bike, nothing wrong with it, but be honest if you ride 120km/h and want to overtake a car in front of you. How long does it take to get enough power out of the bike?

Your comments about the 150 making its power at 10 500 RPMs are valid. However, the 250 hits its maximum of 21.45 HP (15.7 kW)) @ 8000 RPM. And its redline is what? At least with a 150 you have another 2 500 RPMs to keep wringing out power. I also found this link quite interesting. As is this one with hands on experience.

**edit**

Corrected some grammatical errors.

I'd also like to point out that I wouldn't doubt that at 120 I would definitely put my CBR's pink slip up against a CBF 250's for fastest to overtake a car. Also, there's very few cars, at least up in Nakhon Sawan that I'm not blowing by if I'm going 120 KM/h.

Edited by dave_boo

I think the CBR fans need not be so defensive..

The CBR150 is a great little machine.. Its inexpensive, its reliable, it boosts around at enough clip for many Thai roads.. Theres need to jump to its immediate defense whenever a different option is mentioned.. Other bikes may cost more to get, be less economic to run, less nimble round town.. Etc etc etc.. Theres always a sweet spot for any machine and rider and conditions combination.

As a big guy theres something a bit cramped about the CBR.. So a small size and power increase is interesting if it doesnt get lots more expensive.

CBR riders will probably always be CBR riders, but anybody who is looking at a Honda Phantom or want something what is just a bit bigger then a CBR-150 and still wants to have some power (what a Honda Phantom serious not has) try to get a CBF250.

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a bike. I already have a car so it's just for "light" journeys, mostly going to work and maybe sometimes travelling around.

I've never owned any so my requirements are pretty basic. I was first thinking about a simple Honda Dream or whatever could bring me there. For almost the same price, the shop I went proposes also the JRD Tornado bike and I started thinking that it might be a more comfortable option than the Dream: side boxes where to carry my computer and a more comfortable design for both driver and passenger.

Q1: I've seen the JRD company is based in Thailand but I wondered if they merely assemble parts originating from another country or if they really manufacture them from scratch?

Q2: any advice about the quality of the bike? I've looked on internet but could only find 2 posts, one recommending it, the second not. Does anyone owns one and would share experience?

Thank you.

Plastic and pot-metal. That's what it's made of. The girlfriend took her new purchase for a ride outside of Chiang Mai and threw the drive sprocket. The JRD shop just laughed when they saw it missing. Headlight bulb burned out. the JRD mechanic reached into his desk drawer and gave me another one. He stocks them near his work station. I was tightening the exhaust pipe flange nuts and stripped the stud. The bike is a joke. Stick with a company that has been in the business a long time and has many dealers located throughout Thailand.

The CBF250 is identical to the American CBX250, it has a rear drum brake...etc

Other than the fact that the CBX250 was never imported into the US, there's still no reason to think they're realted. The CB250 was a 'brother' bike of the CBX, but wasn't it around 03 when they stopped production of that and a few years later came out with an update motor.

Even if we are to humour your assertion that the CBX and the CBF are identical, the CBX was only produced between 84-89.

Of course there could have been a typo, and you meant to say CB250 (the Nighthawk--I'd assume so since it has rear drum, 20 HP air cooled engine, etc). If that's where the comparison was to be made, it's even more laughable. :o The engine in the Nighthawk is so underpowered it only hits ~130KM/h and they use it for training at Universities around the States. Definitely not so far ahead of the CBR 150R so as to leave the 150 staring at its tail lamps!

The CBF250 is identical to the American CBX250, it has a rear drum brake...etc

Other than the fact that the CBX250 was never imported into the US, there's still no reason to think they're realted. The CB250 was a 'brother' bike of the CBX, but wasn't it around 03 when they stopped production of that and a few years later came out with an update motor.

Even if we are to humour your assertion that the CBX and the CBF are identical, the CBX was only produced between 84-89.

Of course there could have been a typo, and you meant to say CB250 (the Nighthawk--I'd assume so since it has rear drum, 20 HP air cooled engine, etc). If that's where the comparison was to be made, it's even more laughable. :o The engine in the Nighthawk is so underpowered it only hits ~130KM/h and they use it for training at Universities around the States. Definitely not so far ahead of the CBR 150R so as to leave the 150 staring at its tail lamps!

They must have lots of stock in Brazil, if the CBX250 was only producted between 84 to 89.

http://www.honda.com.br/web/index.asp?pp=motos&id=60

JRD - look great!

BUT

They are utter and complete crap...don't buy one ....just look at the resale prices......they are unreliable from day one.....they're like Jaguars.....which are the two best days for a JRD....the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I also doubt that the CBX250 or CBF250 was imported to the USA in any great numbers. It does closely resemble the Mexican version (with SOHC engine) here http://www.honda.com.mx/motos/index.htm , and the Brazilian model just shown by RichardBKK on the Brazilian website. My US magazines for 2004-2005 only list the tired old Nighthawk. Tiddlers (small bikes) never sold much at all in the USA after about 1977. For example, the editors of Motorcyclist said about the Nighthawk 250, jokingly, "Something for Great Aunt Martha, yes?"

This talk about other bikes may relate to the OP, since we are showing alternatives to the Tiger Boxer. The OP says he is moving to Chiang Mai, and I cannot recall seeing a single Boxer here, although I have seen a Buell, Ducatis, lots of BMW bikes, etc.

I am not married to my CBR150R, and would gladly swap it for a CBX/CFR250 if it is priced below 90,000 baht. The price in Mexico for the old engined model is 44,900 pesos, or around 135,000 baht - not worth it at that price.

The CBF/CBX260 can be on the road for around 80 to 90,000 Baht in Thailand. For people who have problems with the Brazilian website here the UK (European) website. Honda UK

I guess the English horses are a bit stronger, as the British CBF250 has only 20 hp while the Brazilian CBX250 produces 24 hp, guess somebody twisted the performance of the Twister.

Edited by Richard-BKK

It is up to 3th party importers, as AP-Honda (Thai Honda) has set its focus on a Motard style 110cc motorcycle to be the sporty motorcycle of the Thai lineup. (Sort of a mix between a Honda Wave and a Kawasaki KSR110, I have no idea what the guys at AP-Honda design department smoke... but I guess it must be pretty strong)

A interested marketing development for JRD, JRD and BigC have an agreement, BigC will start selling JRD motorcycles (some BigC stores, started selling a few weeks ago, when the pen and paper where on the table)

As I understand, will BigC appoint motorcycle repair shops to repair JRD motorcycles bought from BigC. If I understand it correctly, will BigC nationwide also coordinate the repairs for other JRD customers.

The JRD Tornado costs at BigC 52,000 Baht, easy payment with BigC card is possible....

(P.S. I try to load one in my shopping kart but it was a bit to heavy for me alone..... )

Going a bit off course a bit here aren't you, what have Hondas got to do with the posters questiona about JRD?

You're right sierra01, it looks like Honda fans hijacked this post :o but no prob..

Anyway, thanks to other comments (thanks Sojourner, wilko, terryp, Richard-BKK, who replied the topic), I think the JRD case is now much clearer to me: I'll avoid it.

Big C can start selling the brand but it won't change the reliability issue, maybe just the service network.

(BTW, for those who would still be interested in taking the risk, you can get a new JRD Tornado for 43.000 THB at the dealer shop close to the train station in Chiang Mai).

As for me, I will start looking for an alternate model. Probably an old Honda or Yamaha. I like the simple, efficient design of the models from the 80's-90's; I just like their look (if only these BMW from the 60's weren't far more expensive than my car, I'd jump for them :D ).

So next step will be to figure out which model they are and where to find them in good condition. Reliable they must be since I see Thais riding them on the road every day.