Us Demands Thailand Halt Intellectual Property Violations

george

US demands Thailand halt intellectual property violations

BANGKOK: -- The United States has demanded that the Thai government quickly solve what it described as persistent violations of intellectual property agreements before deciding on the trade status of the Kingdom due to be announced on April 30, a senior Thai official said Monday.

Puangrat Assawapisit, director-general of Thailand's Intellectual Property Department, said the United States Trade Representative (USTR) had on March 28 submitted this year's annual report to the Congress which also contained a report on alleged past violations of intellectual property rights of the US by Thailand.

Reiterating that the Thai government had strictly protected US intellectual property rights, Mrs. Puangrat said her department had also dispatched details of its suppression activities to the US authorities for consideration.

Washington, she said, wanted the Thai government to focus on six issues if the kingdom desired an improved ranking.

The six demands include intellectual property protection for new drugs, she indicated, saying that the US considered that the compulsory licensing (CL) measures activated by Thailand regarding certain drugs still lacked transparency.

The Americans said that the Thai law punishing producers of contraband CDs is still too lenient and that the Thai government should impose penalties against shopping mall owners where counterfeit products are displayed.

Mrs. Puangrat had earlier expressed worries that Washington might place Thailand on its "priority foreign country" PFC list for intellectual property infringements and subject the Kingdom to certain trade sanctions.

She had also earlier said that it was possible that the US might remove Thailand from its the current possition on the priority watch list (PWL) to the less favourable PFC because the US felt that Thailand had failed to reduce the piracy problem, and that Washington might impose certain trade sanctions against this country.

--TNA 2008-04-07

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw a single bring in the Grand Canyon, same same.

They're having a hard time prosecuting a single man deliberately running over a crowd with his Benz, shopping mall and market owners are way down the list especially when the brown uniforms get their monthly kickbacks from knockoffs and pirated goods. The U.S. are kidding themselves and they have much more serious problems to deal with at home and abroad these days.

This country will remain as it is as long as they don't begin with a complete and effective police reform.

You can't make a race car out of a trailer.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Thailand is Thailand and thats why we all love it. The fact that everything is not all squeeky clean.

I truly hope Thailand has the balls to tell the USA to F*** O**. To point out that Thailand makes its own laws not the US.

Or perhaps Thailand could return the favour and demand the US change a few things it doesn't like ...for example.. demand that the US puts Thailand on the visa waiver scheme!! :o

Perhaps the US (and indeed the UK) should spend more time asking the important questions like why are they amounst the two most hated countries in the world ? so much so that terrorists are trying to destroy them. Answer... because neither the US or the UK can mind their own business and let others rule their own countries how they see fit.

BANGKOK: -- The United States has demanded that the Thai government quickly solve what it described as persistent violations of intellectual property agreements before deciding on the trade status of the Kingdom due to be announced on April 30, a senior Thai official said Monday.

I am surprised the US wants any more Trade agreements anyway.

From what I have read the trade deficits between the free trade or preferred trade partner agreements is way out of balance and hurting the US badly. Especially between Canada, Mexico and China.

They are in a mess!

Thailand is Thailand and thats why we all love it. The fact that everything is not all squeeky clean.

I truly hope Thailand has the balls to tell the USA to F*** O**. To point out that Thailand makes its own laws not the US.

The post of Thailand's Foreign Minister should be yours for the asking. :o

Or perhaps Thailand could return the favour and demand the US change a few things it doesn't like ...for example.. demand that the US puts Thailand on the visa waiver scheme!! :D

I agree, but only in respect of visits to Alaska. :D

Perhaps the US (and indeed the UK) should spend more time asking the important questions like why are they amounst the two most hated countries in the world ? so much so that terrorists are trying to destroy them. Answer... because neither the US or the UK can mind their own business and let others rule their own countries how they see fit.

US and UK, two separate countries I think. Which other countries are amongst the two most hated countries in the world? Leave other countries to their own devices? You are content with the state of affairs in Darfur, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan? Who do you think will pick up the tab for clearing up the mess?

Throw a single bring in the Grand Canyon, same same.

They're having a hard time prosecuting a single man deliberately running over a crowd with his Benz, shopping mall and market owners are way down the list especially when the brown uniforms get their monthly kickbacks from knockoffs and pirated goods. The U.S. are kidding themselves and they have much more serious problems to deal with at home and abroad these days.

This country will remain as it is as long as they don't begin with a complete and effective police reform.

You can't make a race car out of a trailer.

If the Benz had ran over important people ... prosecution would be done differently.

BSA and its sponsors are not the exactly the crowd on the bus:

http://w3.bsa.org/thailand/

Want to get a 250KTHB Bonus?

Fill up the form: https://reporting-asia.bsa.org/english/endu...&reward=yes

Or perhaps Thailand could return the favour and demand the US change a few things it doesn't like ...for example.. demand that the US puts Thailand on the visa waiver scheme!! :o

Funny how you mix up terrorism and piracy. :D

The US has a right to demand that Thailand takes piracy more serious as it's pure theft. Anyone can see that nothing is done and that you can buy counterfeit products basically everywhere. Must say I love it though, 80 baht a copy.

The future will basically see more intellectual property "inventions" and a lot less of the physical ones, thus this will be the core of future inventions. Countries such as this have too long gotten by with infinite copying and they can certainly stop it. I noticed that when it was their text books being illegally copied, that stuff happened pretty swiftly.

Basically stealing is stealing.

Only because they are the only two countries that the majority of Asia can relate (and have heard of) through TV, Fashion, burgers and so on - you rarely hear criticism of other countries because historically they have never done anything to create any sort of influence anywhere, forget the colonial past blah, blah, blah, many asian people, at least the urban populations love the shopping malls etc - It really is not worth getting worked up about how the French introduced baguettes to Cambodia and Laos or how the German sausage shops are taking over Pattaya. I am English and have been treated with respect everywhere I have been (India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Cambodia and so on) after all everyone loves the Premiership. Just out of interest OP where are you from?

Just like most people in Thailand, I buy copies. It is cheap and convenient and not the crime of the century. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night pondering the moral evil of it. However, I know it is wrong, I know it is stealing. It is not a matter of national rights of Thailand, it is stealing, plain and simple. Petty for each case, but on the grand scale, huge. The American government has every right to pursue this issue and to try to rationalize that they don't just because you hate Americans just doesn't cut it.

Edited by Jingthing

Just like most people in Thailand, I buy copies. It is cheap and convenient and not the crime of the century. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night pondering the moral evil of it. However, I know it is wrong, I know it is stealing. It is not a matter of national rights of Thailand, it is stealing, plain and simple. Petty for each case, but on the grand scale, huge. The American government has every right to pursue this issue and to try to rationalize that they don't just because you hate Americans just doesn't cut it.

Hear hear!

A couple months ago I had a Thai friend bitching that the U.S. is growing some kind of herb or vegetable without permission from Thailand (because it was developed by a Thai). I just laughed him into silence as I pointed at his shelf full of pirated software and DVD's produced in Thailand. The hypocrisy!

Edited by toptuan

The six demands include intellectual property protection for new drugs, she indicated, saying that the US considered that the compulsory licensing (CL) measures activated by Thailand regarding certain drugs still lacked transparency.

The Americans said that the Thai law punishing producers of contraband CDs is still too lenient and that the Thai government should impose penalties against shopping mall owners where counterfeit products are displayed.

They remain highly diplomatic... :o

I hope the US are going to nail Thailand, for the gross IP violation of the CL.

As for the shopping malls... again it's gross, when you see Fortune Town, MBK (and many others) with real shops that are selling copied DVD, software etc.

My point : the issue is not with small time vendors on the street like Sukumvit.

Edited by cclub75

All this nonsense about "stealing is stealing" etc .....

why do you care?? what does it matter if some American firms feel miffed because they can't rip everyone off with their overpriced brand named goods , and that a few people get away with cheap, identical copies. They care because they are missing out on yet more money ...and its all about money don't forget... so i can see why they care.

But why do any of you care.?? That i don't understand.

I don't. I love the fact that despite America's (and the Uk too) interfering attempts to control the world , Thailand has and always will be a law unto themselves. Great !!

I must remember to buy more counterfeit goods when next in Thailand ... to do my bit to boost the industry.

why do you care?? what does it matter if some American firms feel miffed because they can't rip everyone off with their overpriced brand named goods , and that a few people get away with cheap, identical copies. They care because they are missing out on yet more money ...and its all about money don't forget... so i can see why they care.

I don't. I love the fact that despite America's (and the Uk too) interfering attempts to control the world , Thailand has and always will be a law unto themselves. Great !!

I must remember to buy more counterfeit goods when next in Thailand ... to do my bit to boost the industry.

'cuse me...

Your hate is showing... :o

My sentiments exactly.

Or perhaps Thailand could return the favour and demand the US change a few things it doesn't like ...for example.. demand that the US puts Thailand on the visa waiver scheme!! :D

So I'll assume your from France then? :o

Give me a break, whilst the UK isn't the most popular, it is certainly not the worst. Anyway, it has little to do with this particular issue. I'd be interested to know though, as you consider the UK to be such a hated country, why do so many people aspire to migrate to it?

I'd always try to buy an original first, but there's a growing problem:

The shops which sell the real originals of many less-than-popular or older movies can't stay in business. There weren't many of them to begin with, and they couldn't compete with the copied industry- look at what happened to Tower/Sound Warehouse, even in Emporium. Are there any others left? The run-of-the-mill DVD shops are now carbon-copies of each other, and good luck finding a film that was released more than 2-3 years ago.

So I'm left now with no local choice to getting a previously released film. If copyright laws weren't enforced elsewhere, this is where the whole industry would be going (and may be going, with the download sites and everything). I'd have to say I'd be *for* a little more compliance by Thailand, in the face of these consequences.

"S"

An amazing post. So it's okay that Thailand steals intellectual property as long as it's the USA and UK...and that those two countries should be condemned for trying to protect the intellectual property that belongs to its businesses and individuals? Truly amazing.

"Or perhaps Thailand could return the favour and demand the US change a few things it doesn't like ...for example.. demand that the US puts Thailand on the visa waiver scheme!! "

LOL, I'm sure the US will warrant such a request. (not in a million years more like).

"I truly hope Thailand has the balls to tell the USA to F*** O**. To point out that Thailand makes its own laws not the US."

Which probably means that distribution of the real merchandise will stop into Thailand. Maybe even included the main movie theaters showing American movies.

"because neither the US or the UK can mind their own business and let others rule their own countries how they see fit."

I'm not reacting to the terrrorist bit, but surely wanting to secure the copyright on goods produced in their country has nothing to do with wanting to run another country.

"People still buy these poorly encoded copied DVDs from street vendors and sellers in malls?

I thought everyone had moved with the times and was stealing their own better quality stuff over the internet?"

I do, but then again I have a proper broadband connection, something that seems to be an exception in Thailand :o

Edited by sjaak327

So I'll assume your from France then? :o

Give me a break, whilst the UK isn't the most popular, it is certainly not the worst. Anyway, it has little to do with this particular issue. I'd be interested to know though, as you consider the UK to be such a hated country, why do so many people aspire to migrate to it?

Farang Prince seems to have (deliberately?) misunderstood my post to make his point. I singled out for mention the USA and the UK as they are the countries that are usually the ones with the biggest mouths but it could apply to any country. What i am asking (and i note NO-ONE has attempted to answer) is why any of you care if Thailand copies DVD's or not. What does it matter in the larger scheme of things ? Anyone care to answer? Specifically why do YOU care...how does it change your world. Of course it doesn't and thats why no-one can answer. Fuss about nothing as usual.

To answer mrtoad's question as to why people aspire to come to the UK? Well firstly its language. Many can already speak English to a degree but cannot speak any other language except their own. So an obvious attraction. Also its easy to get jobs here and the pay is adequate/good.

What mrtoad might want to ponder is why so many UK citizens want to leave ? Could be because we are turning fast into a police state where govt dictate too much of your life.Many UK people i speak to , including myself, cannot wait to leave.

Your reaction is pathetic.

In exchange, I would suggest that the USA and France... refuse to sell in Thailand their new life-savings medecines ? Right ? That would be fair in your stupid and prehistoric "logic".

Furthermore, you should know that there are laws and international principles and organizations, many, that are shared by most of the countries in the world (WTO, UN, etc.).

We have rules, regulations. Yes.

In your little childish and savage world, you probably hate those words.

But those words contribute to separate the civilized world, from the monkeys that you represent.

Your reaction is pathetic.

In exchange, I would suggest that the USA and France... refuse to sell in Thailand their new life-savings medecines ? Right ? That would be fair in your stupid and prehistoric "logic".

Furthermore, you should know that there are laws and international principles and organizations, many, that are shared by most of the countries in the world (WTO, UN, etc.).

We have rules, regulations. Yes.

In your little childish and savage world, you probably hate those words.

But those words contribute to separate the civilized world, from the monkeys that you represent.

Another one who can't answer my question... and why do YOU care?

And why is my world savage?... because i don't stick my nose into what is not my business? Because i don't sneak off to tell the police when i see street vendors selling copy DVD's. Big bloody deal. Selling copy DVD's... wow...what a crime. Really going to change the world that one isn't it?? Yet its soooo important in the petty-law abiding world of the likes of cclub75.

Guys (and Gals), there's more at stake here than boot-leg dvds/cds (i.e. the RIAA can go fornicate with themselves!). Currently the US is THE place where new medicines are being developed.

While socialised medicine is a good idea in my view, humans are by nature largely not altruistic. If there's no profit, there's no motivation. Try and name a drug that has been recently developed in another country. Even the little blue pill which allows so many of our older TV members to enjoy the carnal pleasures that Thailand offers was developed at the behest of an American company.

With as much hatred of the US as is slung around this forum, I don't think you'd want to antagonise a country that you're so dependant upon for such a vital resource. If it can go to war over the fact that someone tried to kill its leader's pappy (and the perceived oil it was going to harvest), than what makes you think that it can't just pick its ball up and go home. And there'd be nothing you could do about it without being a hypocrite. After all, if you insist that the US should stay out of Thailand's business, you couldn't rightly tell the US it has to share discoveries based on their spent monies.

An amazing post. So it's okay that Thailand steals intellectual property as long as it's the USA and UK...and that those two countries should be condemned for trying to protect the intellectual property that belongs to its businesses and individuals? Truly amazing.

I'm not saying that its ok in every field of copying,(although it is in the unimportant world of dvd and music copying as far as i am concerned) i'm saying i don't care. It doesn't affect my world at all. What puzzles me is why do you care?

Guys (and Gals), there's more at stake here than boot-leg dvds/cds (i.e. the RIAA can go fornicate with themselves!). Currently the US is THE place where new medicines are being developed.

While socialised medicine is a good idea in my view, humans are by nature largely not altruistic. If there's no profit, there's no motivation. Try and name a drug that has been recently developed in another country. Even the little blue pill which allows so many of our older TV members to enjoy the carnal pleasures that Thailand offers was developed at the behest of an American company.

With as much hatred of the US as is slung around this forum, I don't think you'd want to antagonise a country that you're so dependant upon for such a vital resource. If it can go to war over the fact that someone tried to kill its leader's pappy (and the perceived oil it was going to harvest), than what makes you think that it can't just pick its ball up and go home. And there'd be nothing you could do about it without being a hypocrite. After all, if you insist that the US should stay out of Thailand's business, you couldn't rightly tell the US it has to share discoveries based on their spent monies.

Yes i agree with this bit. A good post. My gripe is with the people here worrying themselves to death about copy DVD's. THATS the bit i don't get.

I'm not saying that its ok in every field of copying,(although it is in the unimportant world of dvd and music copying as far as i am concerned) i'm saying i don't care. It doesn't affect my world at all. What puzzles me is why do you care?

Why do I care? Because I respect the intellectual property rights of individuals, which is something you obviously don't do. Who gives anyone the right to steal the hard work and creativity of another person?

I hold three U.S. patents that were developed on technologies that are currently in the marketplace. Developing these technologies cost me and my company millions of dollars in research and development. The investment of time and money is only now being realized after years of field trials and subsequent redesign and improvements.

I'm not sure what your world is, nor do I particularly care. But I can guarantee you that your life is a whole lot better because someone out there had a bright idea and the fortitude to see that this bright idea became a reality. You might go through life without generating anything positive in this world...thank God there are others who haven't.

Edited by farang prince

You ever get on a plane? Try Googling "counterfeit airplane parts".

It's such a complex issue.

On the one hand, IP should be protected, no doubt about it. It promotes innovation for new medicines, engineering developmets etc. And not all major innovations are made by massive, money hungry multi-nationals.

But then you get companies (Yes, mainly US based), Bio-technology giants like Mosanto who, under auspices of the WTO engage in practices that are truly predatory and have no respect for the developing countries they export their products to.

Mosanto Inc:

Global reach, control

Over the last decade, Monsanto aggressively bought up over 50 seed companies around the globe. Seeds are the source of all food. Whoever owns the seeds, owns the food. The process of genetic engineering allows companies, such as Monsanto, to claim patent rights over seeds. Ninety percent of all GE seeds planted in the world are patented by Monsanto and hence controlled by them.

Patents on seeds give companies like Monsanto unprecedented power. Monsanto prohibits farmers saving patented GE seeds from one crop to replant the next season, an age-old practice. To ensure that farmers do not reuse seeds, Monsanto created its own 'gene police', and encourages farmers to turn in their neighbors.

Even farmers that do not use GE seeds are not safe. According to an investigative report by the Centre for Food Safety (CFS) farmers have even been sued for patent infringement after their field was contaminated by pollen or seed from someone else's GE crop.

But Monsanto's influence doesn't stop at the US border. "The world according to Monsanto", documents the devastating impact of Monsanto's malpractices around the world. Among others, it includes the real-life stories of cotton farmers in India that ended up in hopeless debts after using Monsanto genetically engineered (so called Bt) cotton, and of a family in Paraguay, South America whose dreams have turned to nightmares after their farm became surrounded by fields planted with Monsanto's GE soya.

Some of the people here who blindly say IP should be protected and make it a black and white issue. Can you please explain to me what right a US based company has to copyright a farmers rice crop in India? Copyright food? Do you really think US patent laws should be blindly respected in developing countries?

When the US corporate entities are allowed to move in developing countries and do this sort of thing, is it really any wonder they are generally hated around the rest of the world. :o