My Fiancee Is Coming To The Usa

My fiancee in Thailand finally got her I-129F (fiancee) visa. She has never flown on an airplane before. She wants a nonstop flight from Bangkok to Los Angeles. The only non-stop I know of is Thai Airways. The cost on the website is 29780 baht. Can I buy the ticket on the website for her using my credit card, and if so, where does she pick up the paper ticket? Or, should I send her 30000 baht and have her buy the ticket? Or should I go see a travel agent? The easiest option (I think) is to just buy it on the website. But is it possible for me to buy a ticket on the Thai Airways website using my credit card, for another person, and where would she pick up the paper ticket (she lives in a village up north)?

Thanks

My fiancee in Thailand finally got her I-129F (fiancee) visa. She has never flown on an airplane before. She wants a nonstop flight from Bangkok to Los Angeles. The only non-stop I know of is Thai Airways. The cost on the website is 29780 baht. Can I buy the ticket on the website for her using my credit card, and if so, where does she pick up the paper ticket? Or, should I send her 30000 baht and have her buy the ticket? Or should I go see a travel agent? The easiest option (I think) is to just buy it on the website. But is it possible for me to buy a ticket on the Thai Airways website using my credit card, for another person, and where would she pick up the paper ticket (she lives in a village up north)?

Thanks

Actually you should be able to buy an eticket and use a printer to print it out.

However, the ticket price is not 29,870 baht.  Throw is some taxes, fuel charges, fees and other nonsense and it will be more like around 45K give or take a few K.

Thai wouldn't allow me to buy a ticket for my girlfriend with my credit card on their website or through their call centre as I wasn't travelling on the initial leg.

I was able to reserve it via their call centre but had to go into an office in person to pay.

I think different airlines have different rules.

Edited by Governor

TG (Thai Air) is the only carrier I know that goes non stop from BKK to LAX.

It's always a hassle to try to buy even an E-ticket for someone else when the purchaser (name on the credit card) is not also traveling.

It seems to me, I remember, a recent post here where someone was talking about having done that, by providing his GF a photocopy of his credit card and maybe passport too to provide at the airport counter, and saying that was accepted.

You might do a search here on TV for that subject. But in all likelihood, it wasn't involving Thai Air, so they'd certainly be enforcing their own policies on this kind of subject.

Also, it wasn't clear from your post whether you're trying to arrange a round trip or one-way ticket.

Send her the cash, then have her buy the ticket from a travel agent. There will be a capable travel agent in the nearest decent-sized town to her home.

one-way? round-trip? class of service? travel dates?

direct, non-stop might be best for her, that way no chance she'd get lost changing planes. As mentioned, TG is the only carrier offering direct, non-stop service BKK-LAX. R/T fares ex-BKK (TG 794/795) are ~ 66,025 THB (all in), now. Expect increase as YQ (fuel surcharges) goes up.

Actually you should be able to buy an eticket and use a printer to print it out.

However, the ticket price is not 29,870 baht. Throw is some taxes, fuel charges, fees and other nonsense and it will be more like around 45K give or take a few K.

I checked the website and the cost of a one way ticket from BKK to LAX is 24550 + 5250 (taxes) = 29,780 baht total. I can't buy an eticket because it clearly says that "if an eticket is purchased the credit card that is used to buy the eticket must be shown when checking in at the airport".

You could work directly with a travel agent, and/or Thai Airways, in the U.S.A. Either should be able to issue an e-ticket in your Fiancees' name allowing you to pay for it with your credit card. The issuing agent will/should make a note in the PNR, indicating that you paid for the ticket and then the credit card check (which is rarely done these days) is not necessary. Having said all that, it would be easiest to just have her purchase the ticket in Thailand.

If you end up buying the ticket thru a travel agent in the U.S., these guys in Orange County have a good relationship with Thai Air.... http://www.thailandvacationtour.com/

You might also ask them about your options for obtaining/delivering the ticket... or better yet...ask these same questions direct to the Thai Air Customer Service folks.

PS - Here are some past TV posts on the credit card/other flyer subject. As you can see below, it appears there are some options for doing this. But, it's surely dependent on the individual policies of that airline, so really, that's who you need to be talking to:

Jandajoy 2008-01-28 16:34:18 I bought an eticket on line with BA, from the UK for my GF to fly BKK - LHR. She got to airport checkin and was asked for the creditt card. She ecplained the situation and ended up phoning me on her mobile. She then put me on to the checkin desk and I gave them my c/c number. No worries. Bit daft but might be worth remembering for the next poor sod.

happy days

dash 2008-01-29 18:12:41 Buying a ticket with credit card for a third person : from SQ pages

if you are not part of the travelling party,you are required to sign and present a Letter of Indemnity and your payment card for verification at the nearest SIA Ticketing office before travel is allowed.

Posted by: begsaresponse 2007-12-09 12:05:32

Well of course This Is Thailand. I've never actually done it that way, but I have purchased a ticket for another person (a Thai woman) from Bangkok to Singapore. I was in Copenhagen at the time. I was going to BKK but wanted to spend a few days in Singapore first. I purchased a 3rd party ticket on SAS airlines in Copenhagen for their flight from BKK to SIN. She just picked up the ticket at the airport (then Dong Maung) in BKK. Needed her Thai ID card as proof, no problem once she showed that. I'm surprised the airlines in BKK don't seem to want to do that, but as I said TITS.

:o

You could work directly with a travel agent, and/or Thai Airways, in the U.S.A. Either should be able to issue an e-ticket in your Fiancees' name allowing you to pay for it with your credit card. The issuing agent will/should make a note in the PNR, indicating that you paid for the ticket and then the credit card check (which is rarely done these days) is not necessary. Having said all that, it would be easiest to just have her purchase the ticket in Thailand.

Thaiair.com shows me the below rate for the nonstop.  Even the budget carriers these days for a 1 stop flight are more than 29,000 (with taxes)

Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (55,700.00 + 9,465.00) = 65,165.00 THB

total for all travellers 65,165.00 THB

Thaiair.com shows me the below rate for the nonstop. Even the budget carriers these days for a 1 stop flight are more than 29,000 (with taxes)

Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (55,700.00 + 9,465.00) = 65,165.00 THB

total for all travellers 65,165.00 THB

Is your price for a round trip. I just want a one way and I got 29780 baht total (including taxes). She's never flown on a plane before and wants a nonstop flight. I should just buy her a one way ticket on Eva Air for 20,970 baht ($675), but then she may get lost. This is a lot of trouble and I expect there to be much more trouble in future. The things we guys do for girls.

Nonstop is, of course, the least complicated for a first time flyer...

But...for whatever it's worth, the transfer on EVA in Taipei on their stopover for the BKK to LA trip is very easy, and usually involves about a two-hour break -- just time to get a snack or drink or restroom visit, etc.

You get off the plane, the ground staff point everyone down the one main hallway, go just past their transfer counter, have your hand luggage xrayed again, and then go up an escalator to the departure lounge for the connecting flight.

The gates are clearly marked with big letters and with good signage... like C4 or C5....

But, ladies being ladies... you never know what might happen!!!

Thanks

Better to buy a round trip ticket.

She will get homesick in about a week or so ... or maybe you will be over your thaifever and need a break.