When's The Earliest You Can Check In To A Hotel?

rixalex

One of my regular hotels in Pattaya had always in the past allowed me to check in around breakfast time without extra charge. Last weekend however, they billed an extra night. Admittedly, it was very early, shortly after dawn, but still meant i paid an entire day charge for using the room only a few hours.

It just made me wonder what is the usual policy in most hotels. When does a new day start in terms of payment? Is it at midday, the time of check out? If so, a person who checked in at 10am would be charged for a night but only had the room for 2 hours. Seems a bit stiff. Anybody know what is usual hotel policy with regards to this matter?

Edited by rixalex

2pm is the general policy. I've got into the Shangri-la at 8am for no extra cost.

So I think you need a combination of looking needy, and a patient willingness to sit near reception, telling them to let you know when you can check in... as if they want you sitting around reception making the place look untidy for too long.

Top class hotels are usually much more flexible on this. I've checked in before 9am and not been charged. As many small hotels charge 50% room fee for the 12-6pm late check out, then it would seem logical to charge 50% for the 6am to 12pm early check in.

In my experience the normal is 12am checkout, 2 pm check in but most hotels are flexible especially for the checkout. They are less likely to be flexible if they are busy as, chances are, they have someone for your room. The other thing is they have to think about their staff rostering, maids will be primed to make up the rooms 12:00 - 14:00 any late checkouts have to be covered on an ad hoc basis hence the extra charge. This doesn't hold true for early checkins unless they make up the room even though you've just dumped your bags and showered.

But to pay a full extra night's charge for a few hours early is a bit much and I'd be inclined to quietly ask to see the manager and see if a compromise can be reached.

My experience fits with the others above. Top class hotels are most flexible, often not charging for early arrivals (well after 8AM or so) or late checkout. Small hotels need to squeeze the last drops from you hence they're more liable to charge. Although I don't recall ever being charged a full day for an early checkin I have been billed a full rate for a late checkout :o

I usually like to arrive early too - avoiding peak hours, etc. Varying experiences for me. The ones that won't allow you to check in immediately will at least let you stow your bags and will often allow you to use a shower. I've had refusals and acceptances at everything from small family run pensions/guesthouses (although only where availability is a problem) to large hotels. A smile and courteous explanation can work wonders. Some large hotels are run like a bureaucracy and provide very little flexibility.

• 2 years later...

This thread is almost 3 years old, but nevermind.

The answer is, that there is no answer.

It all depends on the hotel`s policy and even that can differ from time to time.

The best way is the phone the hotel before hand and explain what time you wish to check in and ask would this incur or not incur an extra day`s fee.

I feel it depends on many things especially with small hotels. A different person at the desk can make a dofference. How busy the hotel is can influence it also. How regular a customer you are.

At the hotel I stay in at Pattaya I have been there at 6:30 in the morning and given a room and then checked in after 12 by a desk person who knows me by name.Another time at the same hotel a new desk person wouldnot even give me a discount on the room. So there is no hard and fast rule on this, as far as I know.

I've never had a hotel in Thailand pull this on me. When they have an empty room they have always let me check in right away with no extra charge.

That is one of the things that I like about Thailand. Back home, they would go out of their way to screw you and for a lot more money per night too.

This thread is almost 3 years old, but nevermind.

The answer is, that there is no answer.

It all depends on the hotel`s policy and even that can differ from time to time.

The best way is the phone the hotel before hand and explain what time you wish to check in and ask would this incur or not incur an extra day`s fee.

Hee hee I didn't notice. Talk about Resurrection. :D

jb1

I usually like to arrive early too - avoiding peak hours, etc. Varying experiences for me. The ones that won't allow you to check in immediately will at least let you stow your bags and will often allow you to use a shower. I've had refusals and acceptances at everything from small family run pensions/guesthouses (although only where availability is a problem) to large hotels. A smile and courteous explanation can work wonders. Some large hotels are run like a bureaucracy and provide very little flexibility.

Yeh, and if you book on line so you print off your stay voucher then they won't really argue or be picky, thats what l do. :)

As a long time hotel owner, my policy has always been that when people check in at dawn, it means arriving and paying from that calendar date on. But if they arrive after midnight but before dawn, they will have to pay from the previous calendar date on.

Concerning check out time, I always maintained 12 o' clock. You want to rent out the room again to somebody else, and you have to keep the cleaning staff's schedule in mind. But I always allowed people to store luggage after midday, and they are offered the possibility to take a shower before they pick up their luggage and depart.

Edited by keestha

As a long time hotel owner, my policy has always been that when people check in at dawn, it means arriving and paying from that calendar date on. But if they arrive after midnight but before dawn, they will have to pay from the previous calendar date on.

Concerning check out time, I always maintained 12 o' clock. You want to rent out the room again to somebody else, and you have to keep the cleaning staff's schedule in mind. But I always allowed people to store luggage after midday, and they are offered the possibility to take a shower before they pick up their luggage and depart.

Your guests are lucky.

I got lucky at Sawasdee Sukhumvit one time after arriving at Morchit from the boonies at 05.00 hrs. Checked into the hotel in soi Suk 57 at 06.15 and got 4 hours welcome sleep.

Unfortunately, the next time I tried the same tactic our room "was not available"

TBH ----

I moved here as a student at Webster. My first 3 nights I booked in advance at a place Webster used and when I arrived at 05:30 they put me in the room. I fully expected to be charged an extra day but when I checked out 3 days later (after noon) I was only charged for 3 days. (it took me that long to find a house and buy a motorcycle!) -- they did NOT charge me for the extra time but I honestly think that is because the Uni I was attending for a semester contracted for a %age of their rooms.

edit --- I have also stayed at places like Felix in Kanchanaburi that made me wait an hour even though the room I was checking into was vacant the night before.

(Felix is a great resort with a great location if you are ever in Kan!)

Edited by jdinasia

Good post. That has been my experience as well. If I am booking on-line I always mention my arrival time and expecte departure time... as well as the date.. If I am arriving near or after the midnight hour then I expect to pay until check out time at about noon.

But, when I have another plane to catch early in the morning I'll often bite the bullet and stay overnight in the airport for 8 hours between flights. That little bit of nastyness is one reason to carefully check arrival times at various locations. I might have to pay a few extra dollars, but a more convenient arrival time can be important.

Occasionally, a hotel is fully booked and they have to balance the new arrivals with the ones leaving. That makes fitting in the early arrivals difficult. I've had to place my luggage in an uncleaned room so the hotel staff can get on with their chores. It's no problem for me... even if I've been previously booked.