Being Chief Of The Army Is No Easy Job

chevykanteve

Bangkok Post (partial copy)

Being chief of the army is no easy job

ML NATTAKORN DEVAKULA

Just try to imagine yourself as having been part of the same class in the military pre-cadet school as a prime minister, only then to take the most integral part in carrying out a coup which led to the ouster of that prime minister. As if that betrayal of friendship - if there was one in the first place - for claimed nationalistic reasons was not bad enough, the direction of the country's politics eventually leads a party that was formed by the very people loyal to the ideals of the former PM's dissolved party to assume power.

It's more than the worst nightmare an army officer could imagine. Yet this is the predicament Anupong Paojinda has found himself in.

Continued at the Bangkok Post website for today http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/10Apr2008_news90.php

***Moderator note-- Please do not copy the entire article from the Bangkok Post. We are only allowed to post the first few sentences and a link, thanks, sbk***

It's a shame that with all his TV commitments, his movie making and his advertising, Mr Nattakorn still has the time to share his agenda driven opinion with us.

indeed.

The original poster here should read the advertorial from KCC GE Card, where our noble writer Bluem is kind enough to outline that his favourite day will be the day he marries.

Given the awe with which every ounce of postulating is given by Chevykanteve (shared with us as well no less), I can't help but feel that perhaps the two are a match made in heaven for that day.

Kind of like Bendix and Padthaiguy, that sort of thing.

Edited by steveromagnino

It's a shame that with all his TV commitments, his movie making and his advertising, Mr Nattakorn still has the time to share his agenda driven opinion with us.

indeed.

The original poster here should read the advertorial from KCC GE Card, where our noble writer Bluem is kind enough to outline that his favourite day will be the day he marries.

Given the awe with which every ounce of postulating is given by Chevykanteve (shared with us as well no less), I can't help but feel that perhaps the two are a match made in heaven for that day.

I'd like the have a transcript of the phone call Thaksin made to General Anupongg from the UN in Sept '06, just to find out he was part of the coup detat cliche. Now i am sure their on talking terms, but there must be a lot of unspoken hatred being swept under the carpet by Thaksin towards General Anupong. I wonder whether he will ever act take revenge?

I'd like the have a transcript of the phone call Thaksin made to General Anupongg from the UN in Sept '06, just to find out he was part of the coup detat cliche. Now i am sure their on talking terms, but there must be a lot of unspoken hatred being swept under the carpet by Thaksin towards General Anupong. I wonder whether he will ever act take revenge?

Tough to say; who knows maybe Anupong was there protecting Thaksin's interests as best he could given the conditions anyhow.

From a personal perspective, I've already faced a spot of wrath for my incredibly minor crime of continuing to work during the coup, and been punished accordingly; I doubt that people further up the chain will escape given the unbelievably self serving and petty way that i had to suck up to the powers that be when called to answer the questions.

We've seen the wrath start already, maybe part of some sort of truce similar to the alleged AFAIK truce leaving Prem in power an extra year in return for allowing Thaksin to get off the asset declaration case a few years back might be underway.

There is, however, nil chance that we can turn to Bangkok Post on a Thursday and expect any sort of an answer other than illtimed attempts at putting down any anti Thaksin person that he can turn his pen to.

The best revenge is living well, especially when you consider that in the long run, the army needs big business more than the other way around. The former always spends/drinks itself into a tailspin, while the latter tends to prosper continually.

:o

Marriage could be one way of consummating their mutual adoration, or perhaps they should just get a room and get it over with. :o

The best revenge is living well, especially when you consider that in the long run, the army needs big business more than the other way around. The former always spends/drinks itself into a tailspin, while the latter tends to prosper continually.

Possibly and probably the most logical post you've ever made Heng, good one, could not agree with you more.

Personally, most can see from my posts that I do favour the years Thaksin, not because I like Thaksin, there were many idiotic policies put in place, heavy handed tactics taken and policy corruption. My favourtism comes from his ability to drive the nation as a whole in the right direction, in business and thus economic growth. Appropriate creation of business clusters, Mega progects benefiting the public, policies to support rural folk and the OTOP system to spur grass roots development. Neither one or all of these were perfect. Someone can pick out any of them and cry failure. The point is they were all part of popularist policies that (sic IMO) were driving the country in the right direction. Whether the school bus driver was honest or not, the bus was going the right direction.

A coup, army rule, return to elite families control of this country is going to set it back 20 yrs in relative terms to "development" in comparison to neighbouring countries. I'm only 4 days back from a Bangladesh trip. When those guys get hint of how much business they can steal from Thailand, wow, I think the only thing left in Thailand is going to be tourism and rice farming............. oh yes, and an Army protecting it from Thai's leaving for Bangladesh or Vietnam for work... 5555555555555555

Possibly and probably the most logical post you've ever made Heng, good one, could not agree with you more.

Personally, most can see from my posts that I do favour the years Thaksin, not because I like Thaksin, there were many idiotic policies put in place, heavy handed tactics taken and policy corruption. My favourtism comes from his ability to drive the nation as a whole in the right direction, in business and thus economic growth. Appropriate creation of business clusters, Mega progects benefiting the public, policies to support rural folk and the OTOP system to spur grass roots development. Neither one or all of these were perfect. Someone can pick out any of them and cry failure. The point is they were all part of popularist policies that (sic IMO) were driving the country in the right direction. Whether the school bus driver was honest or not, the bus was going the right direction.

A coup, army rule, return to elite families control of this country is going to set it back 20 yrs in relative terms to "development" in comparison to neighbouring countries. I'm only 4 days back from a Bangladesh trip. When those guys get hint of how much business they can steal from Thailand, wow, I think the only thing left in Thailand is going to be tourism and rice farming............. oh yes, and an Army protecting it from Thai's leaving for Bangladesh or Vietnam for work... 5555555555555555

I'd say more like 30+ years. Several months ago, I went to India, Bangladesh and Nepal. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to in terms of Bangladesh-related business, but India is indeed another story.

I'd say more like 30+ years. Several months ago, I went to India, Bangladesh and Nepal. I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to in terms of Bangladesh-related business, but India is indeed another story.

At $30 USD a month salary,you can employ 5 Bangladeshies for one Thai, and that's an upcountry Thai. If Bangladesh gets Direct Foreign investment into areas other than garments, there is no way Thailand could compete on low cost production basis. All Bangladesh has to do is upgrade infrastructure, with decent modern electical supply, port and transportation Thailand has to watch out, they are the competitor unless another decent government can improve Thai creativity, efficiency and productivity.

At $30 USD a month salary,you can employ 5 Bangladeshies for one Thai, and that's an upcountry Thai. If Bangladesh gets Direct Foreign investment into areas other than garments, there is no way Thailand could compete on low cost production basis. All Bangladesh has to do is upgrade infrastructure, with decent modern electical supply, port and transportation Thailand has to watch out, they are the competitor unless another decent government can improve Thai creativity, efficiency and productivity.

Yes.... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Bangladesh upgrades to the position that it aspires to.

My favourtism comes from his ability to drive the nation as a whole in the right direction, in business and thus economic growth.

Yeah, but when it reached 2006 it was a deadlock, entirely self-created.

I'm not going to argue his good or bad moments, but a leader that drives his country into 2006 like impasse with no end in sight is an utter failure.

I mean it means something if a COUP was welcome after his "governance".

My favourtism comes from his ability to drive the nation as a whole in the right direction, in business and thus economic growth.

Yeah, but when it reached 2006 it was a deadlock, entirely self-created.

I'm not going to argue his good or bad moments, but a leader that drives his country into 2006 like impasse with no end in sight is an utter failure.

I mean it means something if a COUP was welcome after his "governance".

Surayud & Co. were NOT failures in your mind's eye? And WHERE in fact was the coup welcome? It most certainly was not welcome in the majority of the provinces that constitute Thailand. But, areas outside of Bangkok and certain otber business-related geographical quarters were not even a minor consideration when the "directors of dictatorship" whined and moaned for a non-democratic change in order to appease their greed and ambitions for power. Please Plus, don't try and re-write recent history... again.

Edited by chevykanteve

Plenty of areas of Bangkok did NOT approve of the coup. And I'm not talking about the relatively less well off (majority) segment that seemingly disappears into the countryside every Songkran. Plenty of the well to do were against it or at least disapproved of it as well.