ATM fees for foreign Cards -

What is the current fee or charge  for using a foreign debit or credit card at an AM in Thailand?

I understand that Visa and Mastercard have one fee and AMEX has a lower fee.

I have a Thai bank A/C so don't use my foreign card, but need to know for the future.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

they probably charge you in other ways

Charles Schwab checking account reimburses all fees...but be careful as it is for US residents and if you are in thailand for long periods they may not continue the no fees policy.

15 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

My bank pays all of my fees back to me every month... 

i have charles Schwab ! You must be careful not to claim you live here in Thailand or they will shut you off.

Keep a address and bank in the states if your ????????. CapitalOne wont charge a fee but they dont excuse the charging bank’s fees 

Edited by riclag

21 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

For those of you who don't know, it is possible to avoid the 220 baht ATM fee by using a counter withdrawal at Bangkok Bank (Visa/Mastercard no fee) or Krungsri (Mastercard no fee, Visa 200 baht fee).

Did that years ago in BBK but PITA really. Ended up getting BBK bank account and all sorted now. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

Charles Schwab checking account reimburses all fees...but be careful as it is for US residents and if you are in thailand for long periods they may not continue the no fees policy.

Yeah I've heard people bang on about it before, like i said they probably charge in other ways

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah I've heard people bang on about it before, like i said they probably charge in other ways

They don't though. No fees means no fees. They have minimum criteria and lack of branches but that isnt a big deal. 

Banks with lots of branches have higher costs so more fees.

There is "no probably". They have lower operating costs, they get 8% on their loans now so will give 5% out plus no fees.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

For those of you who don't know, it is possible to avoid the 220 baht ATM fee by using a counter withdrawal at Bangkok Bank (Visa/Mastercard no fee) or Krungsri (Mastercard no fee, Visa 200 baht fee).

BKK bank stopped doing that months ago. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Some branches have always been reluctant doing that, which requires some pushing.

The branch I had been doing counter withdrawals at for years stopped when their electronics were “upgraded“ to a new system that couldn't accept debit cards. No amount of pushing could get it to work.

I moved all my accounts to k-bank and now use wise to transfer money to those accounts. Basically costs the same as the counter withdrawal. And it takes only a few seconds for the money to appear. 

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

The branch I had been doing counter withdrawals at for years stopped when their electronics were “upgraded“ to a new system that couldn't accept debit cards. No amount of pushing could get it to work.

You can just tell them it's a credit card. ????

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

easy enough to google charles schwab checking and read the details rather than speculate...

.....i am not aware of any hidden charges.

Thai bank ATM generally charge a Bt220 withdrawal fee. 

AND, repeat, AND you will probably have foreign transaction fee applied by your "card-issuing bank"....this fee typically ranges 1 to 6%....this fee varies from card-issuing bank to card-issuing bank....there is no standard answer....you must know your card-issuing bank's fee structure.   And fortunately, there are few card-issuing banks that do not charge a foreign transaction fee like Schwab and Cap1 in the U.S.....Schwab will also reimburse the Thai ATM Bt220 fee but Cap1 will not.  Yeap, a person just needs to know/ask their card-issuing bank what foreign transaction fees may apply and if the bank reimburses the fee.

Regarding Thai bank charging for a counter withdrawal some will charge approx a Bt200 fee; others will not.  And the fee amount can depend on the card network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc).

And for those brave souls using a home country "credit card" for a cash advance there will most likely be an approx card-issuing bank 3% cash advance fee "plus" a foreign transaction fee....and don't forget the possible Thai bank counter withdrawal fee of approx Bt200 or ATM Bt220 fee.   Once again a few home country banks will not charge a credit card cash advance fee (like Pentagon Federal Credit Union as example)....but the great majority do.  

Additionally, Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) could come into play where the Thai bank/ATM offers their local exchange rate versus the card-network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, etc) rate.  Since a DDC rate will typically be much worst than the card-network rate be sure to read the ATM screen wording closely and push whatever button that declines the offered DCC rate....the wording is likely to be vague...trying to confuse a person into pushing the wrong button.   Once selecting the button that declines the DCC/local rate, the ATM transaction will then continue on and you'll get the better card-network exchange rate

Summary: Thai bank ATM foreign card withdrawal fee is generally Bt220.   But don't forget the fees probably charged by "your card-issuing bank"...know those fees by contacting your card-issuing bank.

• Thumbs Up 2