Crawfish

Dakhar

Dakhar, what is the average weight of your brood males and females.?

There again, I have no idea, like I said before, this is not very scietific. But I pretty much go by length. In the main, it is safe to say that when they reach the length of a ring finger, they are sexually mature. (That is tip of head to end of tail) They reach that length at around 6-8 months old.

ADDED: Red claw generally reach sexual

maturity by the age of 6 to 12

months at which time they range

from 2 to 3 ounces in weight.

Mature male red claw develop a

distinctive red or orange patch on

the outside margin of the claws.

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/244fs.pdf

Edited by Dakhar

Anyway, how many male(?) females(?) do you thing are required to populate a 400 sq meter pond? How do you package them for transport for a 5 hour drive? If you're using heaters what type of pond do you have them in now?

Just put them in an esky or plastic bag. Temperature should not be a problem, just keep them wet and access to some air if its a long trip!

In terms of numbers, 'as many unrelated animals as you can' if you are planning on using them as broodstock. Its not good to just get one or two broodstock, or to use the descendants of a single pair as your broodstock, as you will get inbreeding depression very quickly.

I got my craw fish from several different shops at JJ, I also got some other from 2 other aquarium shops in Rangsit... what does this mean? I don't know because really I don't know who the whole sale source was, they could be from the same source?

I also got some big males out of the Kinge project that is out of Chaing Mai, and they sired some crawfish. So my bunch are from many different retial locations. I hope that is for the better.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a farmgate price per kilo for the Red Claw Yabby / yabbie?

redclaw.jpg

( Cherax quadricarinatus )

A farmer in the NT claims to get A$18-20/ kg.

Call it 500bt/kg for Thailand and you'd have to sell at least 150kg/month.

to gross 75000bt!

Yabbies weighing in between 75 -100gms might command 750bt/kg.

Is that feasable?

Is the market out there?

cheers :o

Does anyone have a farmgate price per kilo for the Red Claw Yabby / yabbie?

redclaw.jpg

( Cherax quadricarinatus )

A farmer in the NT claims to get A$18-20/ kg.

Call it 500bt/kg for Thailand and you'd have to sell at least 150kg/month.

to gross 75000bt!

Yabbies weighing in between 75 -100gms might command 750bt/kg.

Is that feasable?

Is the market out there?

cheers :o

Okay...i've read the "Yabbys" in thailand, crawfish, and this...I know Dhakar says he doesn't have anymore for brood stocks...so,

where can i get some for trials/test in my ponds....?

here in Portland, Oregon...a chinese seafood store "OM Seafood" were selling crawdads at $3.99/lbs. 3 weeks ago were the last batch. the owner says they get them from farmers in the sacramento deltas.

I lived in Sacramento and used to venture into the rice fields and harvest these bad boys before the owner rolls up and tells us to take a hike off his rice fields.

oh...hehehehe...check these babies out!

post-64161-1223534335_thumb.jpg

South La. crawfish are shipped (live) where ever airlines fly out of New Orleans. You can google for price, shipping cost etc. Been a few years since I checked market but season (Feb. thru Mar.) the price would drop to 3 to 4 baht / pound. Maybe GWB has got that screwed up also. Costoms in LOS would probably have a field day with a gunny sack of crawdads coming into Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Up here in Chiang Mai, I just bought 10- [1 inch] @100THB ea, fry of a 'blue' variety who's parent was a beautiful irridecent blue color [thumb sized tail and maybe 8" from tail to claws]. That was a month ago and I placed them into a cement tank and have lost 3 or 4....i think due to cold temps here, down to 15c at night. Several have molted [shed their skin and I see a little growth, but assume that they will pick up their growth rates when the weather gets warmer.

Will report on this topic my results.

Still looking for the red claw variety and there was some mention of a royal project that had them, but there ar many royal projects up near Chiang Mai....which one??

Still looking for the red claw variety and there was some mention of a royal project that had them, but there ar many royal projects up near Chiang Mai....which one??

Try contacting the Royal Fisheries Dept in CM, & update us here.

Give them the species true name. :o

I have a couple dozen Red Claw outgrowing my fish tanks ATM. My plan was to set them up in my garage after growing them up in my aquariums. Good plan except my garage is only a skeleton as my construction crew was way over due getting the neighbors garage and yard done. Now they are cannibalizing themselves so I'm not sure what I will do with them.

They grow very fast I might add so be better prepared then me.

• 1 year later...

I thought I would add this, because I keep getting asked this via PM's

Price List

300 Baht each Female of breed able size

400 Baht Each Large Female

250 Baht each Male Breed able size

350 Baht each Large Male

I am located in the Rangsit area. The bread again is, Red Claw & I incourage folks to google the breed for more in depth information. But in brief, this variety gets pretty large. They are native to Australia, and do not burrow. In genearal they are not considered aggressive, and tolerate dense populations. They love to climb and go on "walk abouts" and when they do so, they will probably never come back. They are in search of other water grounds to populate, and it seems like the males like to travel more than the females. The can tolerate a fairly large range of PH.

The females can produce anywhere from 100 - 1000 eggs per pregnancy. The climate of Thailand is conducive to the Red Claw without any intervention etc. For me, I do use heaters in order to make them hatch out faster. It takes anywhere from 1 month to 3 months for them to hatch out....

Hi looking at getting me some red claw lobster, got a fish pond minus fisf and looking at getting 10 or 12,, any body get a contact number or e-mail in thailand,,I`m just outside Pattaya..ta..bainham

I thought I would add this, because I keep getting asked this via PM's

Price List

300 Baht each Female of breed able size

400 Baht Each Large Female

250 Baht each Male Breed able size

350 Baht each Large Male

I am located in the Rangsit area. The bread again is, Red Claw & I incourage folks to google the breed for more in depth information. But in brief, this variety gets pretty large. They are native to Australia, and do not burrow. In genearal they are not considered aggressive, and tolerate dense populations. They love to climb and go on "walk abouts" and when they do so, they will probably never come back. They are in search of other water grounds to populate, and it seems like the males like to travel more than the females. The can tolerate a fairly large range of PH.

The females can produce anywhere from 100 - 1000 eggs per pregnancy. The climate of Thailand is conducive to the Red Claw without any intervention etc. For me, I do use heaters in order to make them hatch out faster. It takes anywhere from 1 month to 3 months for them to hatch out....

• 1 month later...