Tah Pae Bank Robbery

ChiangMaiThai

Apparently the small Siam Commercial branch at Tah Pae on Rachadamnern was robbed yesterday. Anyone have any info?

Allegedly, a Thai guy went in and asked to make a withdraw, he used a pistol instead of a pen the teller handed over some cash and he ran off, last seen entering a small soi off Thae pae road.

It's on the front of todays (which is always dated a day ahead which may explain why I can't find a link on their website) Thai Rath newspaper.

At just before 1pm a man entered SCB Tapae Gate (guard had gone out to lunch), went to counter and passed over a note to staff that he wanted money. Pulled one bag out of larger bag for money and there was an explosive device in other bag.

Once he had a couple of bundles of money (150,000Bt) he said it was enough and left the bank, leaving note and explosive device on the counter. Got away on a motorbike parked 20m away.

Staff threw explosive device out onto street :o

An awful lot of police and a bomb disposal squad arrived after.

I can vouch for that as I drive past about 1.05pm. Hopefully they had detonated the bomb before I drove past as they hadn't closed off the street. :D

I can vouch for that as I drive past about 1.05pm. Hopefully they had detonated the bomb before I drove past as they hadn't closed off the street. :o

They detonated it later in the afternoon. It woke me from my nap! :D

I can vouch for that as I drive past about 1.05pm. Hopefully they had detonated the bomb before I drove past as they hadn't closed off the street. :D

They detonated it later in the afternoon. It woke me from my nap! :D

Crikey, probably lucky I didn't drive over it.

I presume they cleared out all the handicraft sellers - as it said they detonated it where the petrol station used to be across the street. That area was full of handicraft sellers when I went past.

Which raises the question; where was that bomb when I drove past? :o:D

Before my nap, I noticed a bunch of old tires right in front of the bank with police poking at them with sticks.

When the explosion woke me up the tires were acoss the street on the pavement in front of the handicraft sellers. I think that they moved the bomb before detonating it.

Before my nap, I noticed a bunch of old tires right in front of the bank with police poking at them with sticks.

When the explosion woke me up the tires were acoss the street on the pavement in front of the handicraft sellers. I think that they moved the bomb before detonating it.

Which material would give the police better protection from the blast? The tyres or the handicraft sellers?

Sorry to Sound Slightly Synical here, but an earlier poster does raise a valid point: did no-one think of closing off the street to vehicles and pedestrians? Is that not some sort of standard procedure? Did The Powers That Be Here never see UK TV during 'the troubles' in Northern Ireland?

In these parts, road closures certainly R-US for VIP convoys, every other political party and every little or large festival - all with NO advance notice and NO pre-planned or posted diversions. Another unsound, unsafe, unthought-out TIT factor??

It's on the front of todays (which is always dated a day ahead which may explain why I can't find a link on their website) Thai Rath newspaper.

At just before 1pm a man entered SCB Tapae Gate (guard had gone out to lunch), went to counter and passed over a note to staff that he wanted money. Pulled one bag out of larger bag for money and there was an explosive device in other bag.

Once he had a couple of bundles of money (150,000Bt) he said it was enough and left the bank, leaving note and explosive device on the counter. Got away on a motorbike parked 20m away.

Staff threw explosive device out onto street :o

Why does the Darwinian principle "survival of the fittest" not apply in this country?

And, how did they decide who gets the honors? Did they pull straws or did the guy with the most "luck" get to do it? Or maybe the guy lowest on the social hierarchy?

Once he had a couple of bundles of money (150,000Bt) he said it was enough and left the bank, leaving note and explosive device on the counter.

What, like

"Oh no that's quite enough thanks. Do you mind if I leave this small bomb here, I'm riding a motorbike."

Edited by sleepyjohn

No info --- But if you see the video footage of the actual robber leaving the bank, the dumb <deleted> with the straw panama hat exiting nternet square next door as this dangerous criminal walks to his cycle is yours truly. The staff at Internet Square have been giving me s**t about it today.

Never knew a thing was going on. They were sure quiet in the bank though, even as I walked down the street.