Us Embassy Is Enough To Make A Grown Man Cry!

Huey

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quoted........" Do you have any family or friends in the US that could sign an affidavit of support for your wife's visa? "

That's what I like to ask them the same too.

I have done ' sign an affadavit of support ' letters to the US Embassy in BKK anytime when my nephews, nieces, sister, brother whenever they want a visa to go to the US for college education or sightseeings.

They would enclosed this affidavit along with stack of required documents. It's been going on well all these years. My sis always get a 10 years visa stamped.

I often wonder WHAT gone wrong with some people who got rejected.

Not hard to get a visa if you follow the requirements. Obviously no one here knows why the lad was denied, and its rather plain that he couldnt do what was expected of him by the current yank visa rules. It's a shame, but lets face it too may people in the past have taken advantage of lenient system and now when its tough it makes it harder on everyone.

its ridiculous that there are requirements to begin with. who is to say you need this much money to enter the usa as a spouse? unless they had strong reason to believe that the marriage was fake, they should just stay out of it. yet another form of endless government beauacracy and unneeded jobs wasting tax payer money.

Something that many people don't realize or seem to forget is why they have to be so hard on granting visas of any kind to enter the United States. In the U.S. you can not be compelled to produce "papers", here in BKK they set-up road blocks to check peoples immigration/visa status. (there are a few exceptions, in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California they do have inspection stations that look for Mexican/Latino illegals) Children born on American soil automatically derive citizenship even if both parents are Aliens, unlike most other countries including LOS. More than half of the countries in the world have tighter restrictions on immigration than the US.

As for traveling to Mexico and crossing by land, the Mexican government have long since closed this loophole. To get a Mexican tourist visa requires the same documentation as getting one into the USA.

If you get inside the borders of the US and stay long enough you will get amnesty. It happens every 5 to 10 years or so.

Last one ended in 2001. My guess is one will come soon after the next president is elected.

Why is it sad to say? Are you Spanophobic?

Spanophobic ? ? ? ME ? :D:D:D

Absolutely not. the perfect word which best describes me ' sense of royalty ' is more appropriated. After living in this great country- USA ( on and off for over three decades between Tokyo, Taipei and BKK), I came to love and have a sense of belonging to her. I do my best trying to intergrate into main stream of American life.

How do you feel if you see these illegal aliens who have sneaked through the border into the USA, the majority of them hardly trying to learn English, let alone trying to assimilate the life in their new land. Early last year while the immigration bill was on the height of debating, Americans had wittnessed thousands of them rallies acrossed the nation demanding an amnesty for them.

Also the time when Prez Bush was on the campaign trial early last year too, there were several small groups rallies waiting for Bush, they greeted Bush in Spanish :o and begged him to push hard on amnesty bill. Bush graciously told them....they have to learn English FIRST.

I was appalled to see many many carried their home countries flags paraded through the heartland of USA. It would never be allowed to do that in Thailand, China or other countries. Period.

For your record, I'm a dual (TH & US) citizen.

I like Jingthing's phrase, "Spanophobic." There is a lot of that in the USA, and the myths are persistent but false. I do find Thais to be much more xenophobic than Americans are, so I am not surprised that folks of Thai descent would sound anti-Hispanic. Almost all Latinos in the USA do learn English, except elderly immigrants. Another myth says that Thais are among the tourists in America most likely to overstay.

Again, you can blame the legislators in Washington, whose immigration law presumes that tourists will overstay, and requires tourists to clearly prove that they will return to their own country. Unlike Thai immigration, Westerners can usually find a logical explanation for the policies.

I like Jingthing's phrase, "Spanophobic." There is a lot of that in the USA, and the myths are persistent but false. I do find Thais to be much more xenophobic than Americans are, so I am not surprised that folks of Thai descent would sound anti-Hispanic. Almost all Latinos in the USA do learn English, except elderly immigrants. Another myth says that Thais are among the tourists in America most likely to overstay.

Again, you can blame the legislators in Washington, whose immigration law presumes that tourists will overstay, and requires tourists to clearly prove that they will return to their own country. Unlike Thai immigration, Westerners can usually find a logical explanation for the policies.

Ha ha, I got a tickle about that. "Almost all Latinos in the US do learn English....." That is a huge farce. If that were true, why is it then when I worked in El Paso my employers had to provide me with a translator? When you call a bank in El Paso, the pre-recorded message is first in English, & then you have to wait for the "English" option. Heck the news is even in Spanish. I had to get satelite TV & radio just to listen to English speaking programs.

I can understand the desire to maintain Mexican cousine, that is great food, and I miss it.... but if one was to ask me where would I rather be... El Paso or the armpit of Thailand.... I'd take BKK. At least in BKK I feel like a foreinger for a reason!

There always seems to be monstrous drama going-on at the ACS unit. If you're waiting in the lobby there

you're almost forced to listen to every sob story because there is no privacy. I'm not exactly sure why they

can't spring for a private adjoining room so people can discuss their affairs in some kind decency.

I'll never forget my 1st trip to the embassy and I was queueing in that interminably long line outside, which

I don't think Americans are required to do anyway. And the embassies security detail pulled me out of the

line and rudely interrogated me because as the only white guy in the line,I was suspicious.You have to laugh.

Ha ha, I got a tickle about that. "Almost all Latinos in the US do learn English....." That is a huge farce. If that were true, why is it then when I worked in El Paso my employers had to provide me with a translator? When you call a bank in El Paso, the pre-recorded message is first in English, & then you have to wait for the "English" option. Heck the news is even in Spanish. I had to get satelite TV & radio just to listen to English speaking programs.

I can understand the desire to maintain Mexican cousine, that is great food, and I miss it.... but if one was to ask me where would I rather be... El Paso or the armpit of Thailand.... I'd take BKK. At least in BKK I feel like a foreinger for a reason!

Dakhar, maybe we can agree that the Tex-Mex border towns are the armpits of both countries. I was discriminated against in Brownsville even though I spoke better Spanish than the Townies, who also discriminated against recent arrivals. Mexico is not Matamoros or Juarez, either. You have to get to San Antonio or Corpus Christi before you get to Mexican-American neighborhoods. Neither of my Mexican-American inlaws speak Spanish as well as I do, and I am only high intermediate. The Spanish spoken along the border is typified by trucka, their bastardized version for camion or camioneta.

Now we have gone off topic. Maybe Thais living in that one part of Los Angeles could survive without learning English. What do you call an illegal Thai immigrant - nam-back?

Why is it sad to say? Are you Spanophobic?

I am indeed a Spanophobic. I used to own a home in Mexico, traveled there a lot for vacations and just to play. I figure I have spend somewhere around $20,000 in Mordita (bribes) for doing nothing wrong....corruption is rampant, xenophobic, yes the Mexican government is, (however the people usually are warm and friendly).

12 years ago when I went to the Los Angles INS office to inquire about what visa were available for Thai, I was brushed off and told I would have to ask the Bangkok Embassy. When I insisted that I would like the same information explained to me in English that was being explained in Spanish at the cube next to me, again I was told he did not understand the question. At that time I asked to see the supervisor, and in a few minutes another Mexican (supervisor) was brought in to talk with me. Again I told him (this time in Spanish) I would like some advise and information on various visa I might help my Thai girlfriend apply. In fact I told him just exactly the same information that was being explained in Spanish by his countrymen to the other Mexican applicants at tables near by.

Well the "countrymen" snipe really lit him up, and he explained he was an American. My reply was "now". I was told I would have to leave and they call security and were going to charge me with "disturbing" the peace.

I came to Los Angeles where I grew up to take care of my mother. I was the only "gringo" on the block. When people knock on the door and I answer "Hello", usually the response I get is "Tu no habla Espanol??" Where I reply Kuhn poot Thai dai mai krap?

I took my wife to Seattle earlier this year, as we are moving there. In the airport on the shuttle train, the announcement was 1st in English, "The doors are closing..........." the in Japanese. My wife mouth dropped open and she asked me....."You mean we don't have to listen to Spanish up here any more?"...Everybody in the train car cracked up.

If I as an American have a step child living in Thailand I cannot deduct them as a Dependant, but if they live in Mexico, I can...that is the law.

I absolutely hate what the USA government as encouraged with the INVASION from Mexico. This crap about just people looking for a better life for their family's sort of fly's apart when you watch things like a Mexico vs USA soccer match, and see the "immigrants" spitting and throwing beer on the USA players.....Where is that burning desire to become part of this country. To march and protest our laws waving Mexican flags.....beyond belief. We have got the dumbest, illiterate, and xenophobic group from Mexico. Each year they send billions of dollars that are illegally earned here back to "their country".

I am such a Spanophobic that for the past 4 years I have refused to eat in a Mexican restaurant, since they had the boycott of American business.

As to the OP story, I am really sorry about the way my government treats its own citizens and their invited guest while bending over backwards to cater to the unwashed Mexicans.

There always seems to be monstrous drama going-on at the ACS unit. If you're waiting in the lobby there

you're almost forced to listen to every sob story because there is no privacy. I'm not exactly sure why they

can't spring for a private adjoining room so people can discuss their affairs in some kind decency.

They do have that screened off room, but they have probably figured out that it increases their time spent per customer, and they seem to always have to stick around after closing time to deal with folks still in line as it is.

:o

Now we have gone off topic. Maybe Thais living in that one part of Los Angeles could survive without learning English. What do you call an illegal Thai immigrant - nam-back?

No doubt this is OT just as there is no doubt there is a double standard along the southern border. My Spanish is abotu equal to or better than my Thai, but in the US, I think it is unaconscionable that the Spanish is being moved in as the de facto second language of the country. I know many Koreans in Queens where they speak exclusively Korean in their own circles, but can speak very good English in other circles. I know many Iraqis who live in the Detroit area, who speak mostly Farsi in their own circles but speak very good English in other circles. BUt this bastardization of both the Spanish and English language to accommodate what amounts to poor political decision making and poor public policy is a <deleted>' crime. It is also criminal to think that people have a better chance sneaking throug the southern border as applying for entry via normal channels. As for the OP, I gotta believe there was something else more going on. The paperwork and fees are a total complete pain in the a**. But is the paperwork is in order, all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, the system, screwed up as it may be, does work.

BUt this bastardization of both the Spanish and English language to accommodate what amounts to poor political decision making and poor public policy is a <deleted>' crime

Or how about the concern of the "Mexican" vote. I say screw that, I want the AMERICAN vote, and I am not going cater to anyone sect, by having Spanish speaking commercials!!!!!! Talk about an insult! You want to vote and you just happen to have Mexican DNA in you, fine, but vote as an AMERICAN, not at a person with special intrests in making sure you cousins sister brothers niece can treck through he desert with active watering spots provided by the US tax paying citizens for "huamanatarian" reasons. Bull CORN>

Poor chap, I know how he feels as my first visa application to visit the UK for my wife was denied and the interviewer was so rude to her she was reduced to tears in the interview room. I wasn’t there as the website stated that only the candidate should come and then during the interview the embassy bod told her that I obviously didn’t care as I hadn’t bothered to turn up!! I was sat in a nearby café waiting for her.

All I can say to everyone out there is Appeal, Appeal, Appeal. Be it for a US, Schengen, UK visa or whatever, they all come with the right to appeal the decision. I appealed the visa decision and it was a lot easier than I expected. I received information through the post about what I needed to do, and then was informed that a judge in London had reviewed the transcripts and overturned the decision.

I have a friend who works for the British Embassy in another country and he told me 2 things of relevance. One is that all embassies are being run more and more like a business, out sourcing work, cutting costs and reducing staff levels. The other is that even my simple appeal would have cost the British taxpayer thousands of pounds. The figure he gave me was considerably higher but let’s say for arguments sake the average appeal will cost £2000.

Now bearing in mind point no.1, if 50 people were to appeal their decisions then that would cost £100 000. Whilst it won’t come out of the Embassy’s pocket directly, I am confident that there will be a league table of how many costly appeals are coming through from each country. The more appeals, the more the FO will sit up and take notice, and the more the Ambassador will be forced to make his team consider each application more carefully.

The accountability to Joe Citizen is not apparent, but to the holder of the purse strings now that is a different story. It will be a relatively slow process, but if everyone who was denied a visa appealed the decision it wouldn’t take too long before steps were taken. All members out there, if you know of someone who has had an application denied, please encourage them to appeal, even if their application really is not worth the paper it is written on. It is easy, free and may just bog the system down in its own bureaucracy enough that they start to consider each application on its merits. I feel at the moment when the applicant walks into the room it is easier for the embassy to deny the visa than to award it. That needs to be flipped on its head. If we made them scared to deny a visa we wouldn’t feel so powerless.

I'm sure if the woman deposited 10 or 20 thousand dollars in a US bank and showed a monthly income of 1600$ to 2100$ for the rest of her life, she would not have these problems. This is what we all must do here, and which you find unfair when the US does it. Were you not, to be able to comply, you will see how hesitant the Thai government is about separating you from your family. The OP really needs to do the paperwork with US Immigration and not the Embassy, he then has to go to the States and turn in the same paperwork which he submitted in BKK. At least that's what I had to do 13 yrs. ago to get my wife there. When a Farang can't meet the requirements, you are all quick to label him a scumbag or other types of names, when its a Thai , its bad USA or whatever country denies permission. Try to have equal compassion for your own, not only poor Thai women. There are plenty of poor Americans and other westerners. Also where does good planning come into play here, this is another regular response. Lets discuss this on the part of this Thai woman. Also if you want the US to be truly fair in their income requirements, then the Thai should show an income about 6 to 8 times larger than the average US income, as its required here by us Farangs.

it's all about fear.

surrounded by a massive wall with blockades impeding road traffic and parking prohibited within a reasonable walking distance (probably defined as a bomb blast radius), the american consulate is a valid representation of america itself.

going into the consulate one is required to wait outside until the person in front has been cleared before access is granted. then the obligatory empty pockets, x-ray, and magic wand wave in front of several guards. then through a complex of strong locked doors.

all this to protect the mightiest country in the world from ... me.

meanwhile, other embassies will have a couple of folks standing around looking bored. what, me worry expressions on their faces and smiles as they hold open doors.

oh, how this relates to the post. immigration policy = fear.

sorry for the guy who put in his 25 years killing others to preserve what he now sees as a false ideal. sorry for those who had to die.

not too sorry for america though.

OP: Hard to comment without knowing the details of their case.

Embassy staff: I sympathize greatly with these folks. Like any job that requires one to interact with a large cross section of people they are faced with some of the most asinine folks ever to grace this good earth – bless them for even trying.

Visa process: My wife was granted her tourist visa last year. I found the process to be quite simple and the requirements for being granted a visa very reasonable. If anything I think the financial standards they set to be too low. My wife does not have a job, no big bank account, no land, no condo, no nuttin, and she still had no problem obtaining a tourist visa. The key of course being that she is married to me and I do have sufficient financial resources.

GaryA: Your case seems to be quite straightforward. Simply apply for a tourist visa for your wife. Assuming she is granted a 10 year tourist visa she would be able to travel to the US any time over the next 10 years should anything happen to either of your parents.

I returned to the USA, as a trained accountant, to a cheap area, and I could only find jobs at $7.50 per hour. It is a very expensive country, and the job scene now looks worse than teaching English in Thailand.

Unemployment is at historically low levels and there are many jobs for most that want to work. The US economy isn't humming by any means, but there are good paying jobs for those that work hard at obtaining them. Sounds like you had some bad luck or there is more to the story. With a college education or some work related skills, most can make at least 25k a year. Entry level jobs without a college education pay roughly $15 per hour where I work now. We just had to let go 700 employees. The individuals I let go have had little problems finding jobs. These individuals weren't the top performers, who would have had an easier time finding work.

Now, if you're older and have been out of the US work force for many years, it can be difficult to land a well paying job. That is the risk ex pats take and I've had to experience it personally in 2001. I returned to the US after 4 years of traveling and it was difficult to say the least. I was young and had my health, which are advantages you don't have, so in that respect, I get where you're coming from.

As for the job scene being worse than teaching English in Thailand, it is for many. Making 300 bt ( $10 ) an hour teaching English enable you to live a more comfortable life than a $25 an hour job in the states.

Edited by siamamerican

Visa process: My wife was granted her tourist visa last year. I found the process to be quite simple and the requirements for being granted a visa very reasonable. If anything I think the financial standards they set to be too low. My wife does not have a job, no big bank account, no land, no condo, no nuttin, and she still had no problem obtaining a tourist visa. The key of course being that she is married to me and I do have sufficient financial resources.

Are you living in the US or somewhere else. If you are living somewhere else, then that was probably the main factor in her getting the visa. If you are living and working in Thailand or Japan with your wife, then she is a pretty sure bet to return to your home after visiting the US. If in the other case, you are living in the US and your wife is in Thailand or Japan and wants a tourist visa, I think you were very lucky to get her one because she would have a very good reason to remain in the US.

The variety of reported experiences at the American Embassy/Consulate seem as endless and frequently senseless as at Thai Immigration.

I heard all the horror stories about trying to bring my Thai girlfriend to the States on a tourist visa and most fit our situation; she had no job, owned but owed money on a tiny townhouse in BKK, is 30-years my junior, on and on. She applied in 2004 and was granted a visa to travel with me with no hesitation and the CM Consulate staff was most friendly and gracious.

She applied again last year and was quickly given a 5-year, open-entry visa. She still has no job as I support her but we did marry on Maui while on our first visit. We are seriously considering moving to Hawaii for a couple of years then splitting our time between Thailand and there and I expect no problems.

I have nothing special going on, altho I am also a veteran, and did not even accompany her when she went for her interview. There must have been some other, unknown to us, circumstances especially if they had been together for some time and are legally married. While the forms and processes for tourist and immigration visas are complicated, I think that the Embassy staff probably know their job and have to deal with regulations and pressures from above all the time. Some kind of hidden agendas on their part are probably very rare indeed and I have seen them be 'self-correcting' right here in Chiang Mai.

My sympathies to a fellow vet...

I heard all the horror stories about trying to bring my Thai girlfriend to the States on a tourist visa and most fit our situation; she had no job, owned but owed money on a tiny townhouse in BKK, is 30-years my junior, on and on. She applied in 2004 and was granted a visa to travel with me with no hesitation and the CM Consulate staff was most friendly and gracious.

I assume you live in Thailand? This is a big factor. If you live in Thailand, then she has a reason to return to Thailand. If on the other hand, you live in the US, then she has a reason to overstay in the US.

She applied again last year and was quickly given a 5-year, open-entry visa. She still has no job as I support her but we did marry on Maui while on our first visit. We are seriously considering moving to Hawaii for a couple of years then splitting our time between Thailand and there and I expect no problems.

Usually once you get one visa and you do not overstay, getting another visa is usually just a formallity.

Are you living in the US or somewhere else. If you are living somewhere else, then that was probably the main factor in her getting the visa. If you are living and working in Thailand or Japan with your wife, then she is a pretty sure bet to return to your home after visiting the US. If in the other case, you are living in the US and your wife is in Thailand or Japan and wants a tourist visa, I think you were very lucky to get her one because she would have a very good reason to remain in the US.

Indeed we do live in Thailand and that was certainly a major factor. If I was living in the US then we would have applied for an immigrant visa rather than a tourist visa, and this will happen eventually. But I don’t foresee any major hurdles in getting her immigrant visa once we are ready to move to the US and she applies.

But it could drive anyone to tears

<deleted> all heartless government officials and <deleted> all heartless regulations! :D

I have had the misfortune to have had to deal with immigration officials on 5 countries and i can honestly say the attraction of doing that for a job is about as appealing as being a traffic warden!, anyway they wouldnt have me, i have a personality and like to smile now and again, ugh,. :o

I am 48, married last year to my beautiful thai lady. My now wife has a degree in Marketing, been in Thailand all her life. one past marraige. I have a company in USA, with my manufacturing done in THailand. I come home to Thailand every two months. Stay for one month. While this may seem like and ideal situation I would like very much to bring my wife to USA so she can see and help in the business from the states too.

I blame all the rest of mindless Americans that make up the rules with NO idea as to what they are doing. In a final agrument I can only think of what is happening right now to the the global economy.

The US Dollar is the strength dollar that many nations base their economy on. The USD is weak, foreclosures are now over 1 trillion USD. Auto manufacturers are dying, industry is leaving USA making or leaving Americans without work to pay the bills. The gov raises taxes more and more to its now un-employed citizens.

Since 2006 more Americans with record breaking numbers leave USA for vacation. WHY ! Well I know !!!

Soon if USA continues with its supposed PERFECT way of life that it wants to imply on others, one day soon the IRS will knock on your door about more taxes, and guess what, theres no on home they have left the country to live in a place and way that is simple without overbearing rules regulations and taxation.

The man of 60, I know what he is thinking, my heart goes out to him, in closing, I guess within the next year or two I will see you in Thailand living the comfortable life. Lets have a beer and discuss " THE GOOD OLE DAYS "

I know of a few cases where even when you have extensive property holdings and cash assets, they were still turned down for a tourist visa. Not sure if they had other red flags or if it was just an arbitrary rejection. That said, rules are rules, travelling wherever you want isn't a right.

:o

The process isn’t that bad. A little stressful yes, but if you complete the required docs and have minimal financial resources, your wife can get a visa. For a fiancé visa, the American sponsor needs to only to show his income is not much more than the published poverty level.

The problem I had with the process was that I had little control over it. Other than submitting initial application, the applicant just has to patiently wait for a reply. The government isn’t a business and doesn’t give you any turnaround guarantees. In actuality they state the worst case scenario. In my case each application was decisioned in 1/3 the time I was told by immigration.

I am 48, married last year to my beautiful thai lady. My now wife has a degree in Marketing, been in Thailand all her life. one past marraige. I have a company in USA, with my manufacturing done in THailand. I come home to Thailand every two months. Stay for one month. While this may seem like and ideal situation I would like very much to bring my wife to USA so she can see and help in the business from the states too.

Should not be a problem at all for your wife to get a spouse visa. Just need to make enough money, which is not really that much or have a co-sponsor for the financial side of things.

The process isn't that bad. A little stressful yes, but if you complete the required docs and have minimal financial resources, your wife can get a visa. For a fiancé visa, the American sponsor needs to only to show his income is not much more than the published poverty level.

The problem I had with the process was that I had little control over it. Other than submitting initial application, the applicant just has to patiently wait for a reply. The government isn't a business and doesn't give you any turnaround guarantees. In actuality they state the worst case scenario. In my case each application was decisioned in 1/3 the time I was told by immigration.

It really helps depending on which part of the country you live in. Some of the service centers in the US take twice as long as others to process the applications. If you are lucky and are in the area for the Vermont Service Center, it is the fastest by far, or at least used to be a couple of years ago.

Security checks can take a long time, especially if your fiance has a very common name.