Transferring Money To My Wife

I have bank accounts in Thailand, separate from my wife, but in the same branches.

Up until six months ago I could log-on, transfer money directly to my (nominated) wife's account.

Then I was told that as I didn't have a registered business in Thailand, I had to use a different internet account - no longer 'Corporate', but 'Personal'.

I work abroad, so the Internet is quite important to me as a communication tool.

I have been back to Thailand twice in the last six months, both times having a flaming row with the banks.

The problem ??

Now I cannot nominate my wife's account for permanent registration as an approved receiver of transfers.

I have to use the TOPS system, which means visiting a special ATM (only in Thailand) registering my ATM card there, when the bank will send a code to my (Thai) mobile phone eo that I can then put that code in my internet transfer.

Not being in Thailand, this does not work. If I was in Thailand I would instead go to ANY ATM and do a direct transfer. I wouldn't need the Internet.

Does anyone out there understand this system? Is it as stupid as it seems to be?

I make my wife a monthly transfer from my salary direct to her account, but if she needs emergency funds, we are screwed - no Western Union, no local bank account to transfer from. I have to write to my bank in UK, send via DHL or similar and they will transfer after about a week - receive in Thailand after another week.

Please, if anyone understands this TOPS system, tell me how to use it from abroad.

I have bank accounts in Thailand, separate from my wife, but in the same branches.

Up until six months ago I could log-on, transfer money directly to my (nominated) wife's account.

Then I was told that as I didn't have a registered business in Thailand, I had to use a different internet account - no longer 'Corporate', but 'Personal'.

I work abroad, so the Internet is quite important to me as a communication tool.

I have been back to Thailand twice in the last six months, both times having a flaming row with the banks.

The problem ??

Now I cannot nominate my wife's account for permanent registration as an approved receiver of transfers.

I have to use the TOPS system, which means visiting a special ATM (only in Thailand) registering my ATM card there, when the bank will send a code to my (Thai) mobile phone eo that I can then put that code in my internet transfer.

Not being in Thailand, this does not work. If I was in Thailand I would instead go to ANY ATM and do a direct transfer. I wouldn't need the Internet.

Does anyone out there understand this system? Is it as stupid as it seems to be?

I make my wife a monthly transfer from my salary direct to her account, but if she needs emergency funds, we are screwed - no Western Union, no local bank account to transfer from. I have to write to my bank in UK, send via DHL or similar and they will transfer after about a week - receive in Thailand after another week.

Please, if anyone understands this TOPS system, tell me how to use it from abroad.

Hump

Can't help with the TOPS deal but here's a possible workaround that I've used in the past.

Open up a bank account in your home country, get an ATM card, and send it to your wife.  When she needs money she can go to about any ATM machine in Thailand to withdraw baht.

A caveat here.  Check your bank to see if they have a charge for foreign ATM withdrawals of funds.  Some do, charge 1-3% of the amount withdrawn and perhaps an additional charge per withdrawal.  I'm lucky, my credit union in the U.S. gives me 10 free withdrawals a month and no %% charge at all.

Mac

Can you make the transfers by phone banking? Believe if you set up the account Bangkok Bank phone system (not sure about others) would do them (but have not done myself as only use a joint account).

Why do you have to use DHL? Can't your UK bank provide a fax or phone or internet transfer ability? I can call my US bank from anywhere and transfer money visa SWIFT and it takes about 12 hours to be credited to my account in Thailand.

Can you make the transfers by phone banking? Believe if you set up the account Bangkok Bank phone system (not sure about others) would do them (but have not done myself as only use a joint account).

Why do you have to use DHL? Can't your UK bank provide a fax or phone or internet transfer ability? I can call my US bank from anywhere and transfer money visa SWIFT and it takes about 12 hours to be credited to my account in Thailand.

Lop 3

I've done that, too, the EFT or "wire transfer" of funds from my credit union, but very rarely. Their price for this service is now up to $45 per transaction!  Not too bad if you're moving a bunch, like buying a house or car, but not worth it for small amounts.

My monthly $$ check deposit to my SCB account is fine (45 days "hold) then supplement with my U.S. ATM card as needed.

Mac

Humphrey,,,,,,,,,,you did not mention the bank name,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or I missed it,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a personal savings account with SCB,,,,,,,,and 2 joint accounts in different provinces with my Thai wife.

She also has personal savings accounts with KTB and BKK Bank.

We have internet banking with all of them,,,,,,,,,,I do the online banking.

I can transfer funds to any and all accounts using any of the banks online banking,,,,,,,,,,,,just recently they all activated real time transfers between the banks,,,,,,,,,,there is a transfer fee depending on the amount

So I guess I don't know what's going on in your case,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm sure I could do all of this whether I was here in LOS or somewhere else,,,,,,,,,,,,

I also do wire transfers on line from my US bank online(Chase Bank) to my SCB accounts,,,,,,,,,I can also add and delete payee accounts in the Chase wire transfer system online no phone calls. The wire fee is 35 USD for any amount.

This is my experience

The problem ??

Humphrey,,,,,,,,,I'm not sure what "TOPS" is or what it stands for. I use SCB and BKK and KTB and all 3 of these banks use a system called "OTP" which is "One-Time Password" to add and delete accounts and other info that is considered secure to the account users online system.

When I log in and want to add or delete an account to my EasyNet Banking, when I complete the needed fields and hit yes the system sends an SMS message to the mobile phone I have in my profile. This message contains a "OTP" that I need to activate that account in my EasyNet banking. If youu do not use that password or screw up somehow you need to go back online and have another OTP sent to your phone.

Now in your case the system probably is not set up to send this SMS to a number that is out of the country,,,,,,,,,,so I have no idea how you would activate the particular account your trying to add,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if you come to LOS a few times a year you would just add the needed accounts while in country and then no problems when you travel again,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope that helps a bit

Humphrey,,,,,,,,,I'm not sure what "TOPS" is or what it stands for. I use SCB and BKK and KTB and all 3 of these banks use a system called "OTP" which is "One-Time Password" to add and delete accounts and other info that is considered secure to the account users online system.

When I log in and want to add or delete an account to my EasyNet Banking, when I complete the needed fields and hit yes the system sends an SMS message to the mobile phone I have in my profile. This message contains a "OTP" that I need to activate that account in my EasyNet banking. If youu do not use that password or screw up somehow you need to go back online and have another OTP sent to your phone.

Now in your case the system probably is not set up to send this SMS to a number that is out of the country,,,,,,,,,,so I have no idea how you would activate the particular account your trying to add,,,,,,,,,,,,,but if you come to LOS a few times a year you would just add the needed accounts while in country and then no problems when you travel again,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope that helps a bit

My accounts are with KTB and SCB - as yours. I used to have a 'Corporate' account with KTB and had no hassles - everything worked well. Then they asked me for a company registration number if I wanted to keep my Corporate account, otherwise I would have to move to a personal account. So I changed to personal and found I could bot transfer money to my wife.

The bank staff - very poor command of English - explained that I would have to use the TOPS system (Time something something something) that is a one-time password to put my wife on the transfer to third party list. To get this TOPS password you have to register your mobile phone number, go to a special ATM for Internet users, register, KTB will then SMS you a number that you punch in to your computer screen and you can transfer the money. Really complicated and stupid, because while I was at the ATM I could transfer directly. But not when I'm in Vietnam.

And SCB have just introduced the same system.

I asked both if I could register my wife's account as a permanent recipient of transfers - as I did with the corporate account - but was told 'no' or just 'huh?'

That's when I went all red and started hitting people. :o

With me it is not just the password that is one-time. The registration of my wife's account is deleted when I log-off. I tried this a couple of times while I was in Thailand and the account wouldn't stay registered. That seems to be where the problem is. If it stayed on the 'third party' page I would not have a problem.

I'll be back in LOS in July or so - I'll see if either bank has abandoned this scheme by then.

Transferring from abroad is expensive - I'm only looking at a few thousand dollars to pay outstanding bills, school fees and the like. And even calling my UK bank from Vietnam is a hassle. Much easier to use DHL.

Don't have a joint account - my wife would empty it within seconds - not for the money, but just because she likes to feel the money in her pocket. She does not understand the concept of saving. Live for today.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Don't have a joint account - my wife would empty it within seconds - not for the money, but just because she likes to feel the money in her pocket. She does not understand the concept of saving. Live for today.

Isn't that what she does with her own account when you send her money? So you just use the joint account as "her" account and only put in what she's gonna grab.

Anyway I think there's a technical problem there, or a misunderstanding, that you'll straighten out next trip.

Isn't that what she does with her own account when you send her money? So you just use the joint account as "her" account and only put in what she's gonna grab.

Anyway I think there's a technical problem there, or a misunderstanding, that you'll straighten out next trip.

Yes - but as I usually transfer only a part of my salary to her account each month, through my employer, then if she has an emergency I used to be able to send her more funds (her mother died eighteen months ago, her father nine months, school fees, so on). Now I cannot.

As you say - probably a technical problem, not understood by me or the bank.

I don't know if this is of any help to you but if you are a resident of the UK you could open up a flexi-account with the Nationwide Building Society. They issue you with an ATM card which you give to your wife and there are no fees for drawing money worldwide!

I don't know if this is of any help to you but if you are a resident of the UK you could open up a flexi-account with the Nationwide Building Society. They issue you with an ATM card which you give to your wife and there are no fees for drawing money worldwide!

In support of Prodriver's comments, I have 2 Nationwide Flex accounts. One account I use to withdraw cash from ATMs when I am Thailand. The second account is used for my G/F to withdraw cash - I gave her the card and I fund her account from my own account via Internet banking i.e. I can put her in funds anytime of day from anywhere in the world.

On one occasion she needed 2,000 Baht urgently. I transferred £30 (better rate at that time !) from 1 a/c to 2 a/c and she took out the cash 10 minutes later in Buriram - bloody marvellous.

And the best thing is that withdrawals are completely free and last week when HSBC gave me 59.8 on an ATM withdrawal I was getting 62.5 from Nationwide.

I worked for HSBC for over 30 years but I cannot speak highly enough of Nationwide.

In support of Prodriver's comments, I have 2 Nationwide Flex accounts. One account I use to withdraw cash from ATMs when I am Thailand. The second account is used for my G/F to withdraw cash - I gave her the card and I fund her account from my own account via Internet banking i.e. I can put her in funds anytime of day from anywhere in the world.

On one occasion she needed 2,000 Baht urgently. I transferred £30 (better rate at that time !) from 1 a/c to 2 a/c and she took out the cash 10 minutes later in Buriram - bloody marvellous.

And the best thing is that withdrawals are completely free and last week when HSBC gave me 59.8 on an ATM withdrawal I was getting 62.5 from Nationwide.

I worked for HSBC for over 30 years but I cannot speak highly enough of Nationwide.

Ditto.........I do the same thing with my GF and manage the account via internet banking, works a treat!!

Nationwide _ No withdrawal Fees and for some reason always get a good rate.