Songkran 2008 The Carnage Has Begun

cali4995

Despite the given official dates of 13-15 and locally 17-20 large water drums are already out at the

beach end of soi 8 and PVC pump guns are being deployed even though the rules of engagement

have stated they are not allowed. It would appear it's going to be one very long week. :o

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Despite the given official dates of 13-15 and locally 17-20 large water drums are already out at the

beach end of soi 8 and PVC pump guns are being deployed even though the rules of engagement

have stated they are not allowed. It would appear it's going to be one very long week. :o

Thanks for the early warning!

Yep, bunch of drunk stupid farang at Soi 7-8 there last night trying to soak everyone--egged on by, and showing off for, bar girls. They missed me entirely. :D Well, my lady and I had planned to have dinner at the Pig and Whistle but immediately cancelled and ate elsewhere. Then we stopped by Tops and stocked up on food & beer. If I absolutely have to go out, I have a full rainsuit and waterproof motorcyle boots to wear and can enjoy frustrating the water hooligans; but a rainsuit gets pretty hot in the sunshine.

Unfortunately I was unable to leave Thailand this year. Think I'll go to BKK on the 16th after the peak there and come back to PTY on the 21st.

Edited by JSixpack

Well I feel hugely embarassed and ashamed to have been vociferously defending Songkran over the last few months. These w-anchors have just validated everyone's worst comments about the whole thing.

I will still go and play, but sensibly, and within the alloted times. Please don't tar us all with the same brush, you get the odd idiot at every party or celebration around the world, who spoils it for the rest of us. :o

For residents of the Farside, there is little to be concerned about. We don't live amongst you HiSo folks and drunken tourists over their on the "other" side :o There is little to no early water antics over here till the official Pattaya holidays and then it's usually just small grounps of your Thai children standing by the side of the road with water guns or bowls trying to give passersby a little dunk. So happy not to live in the farang ghetto :D

Yep, bunch of drunk stupid farang at Soi 7-8 there last night trying to soak everyone--egged on by, and showing off for, bar girls.

I had to make a quick trip to Chon Buri yesterday, and as we (my buddy and I in his SUV) were heading up Pattaya Tai, I noticed some little (Thai) kids standing on the curb with water guns at the ready.

(just so everyone knows that it's not just drunken farangs that have started the games early)

Unfortunately I was unable to leave Thailand this year. Think I'll go to BKK on the 16th after the peak there and come back to PTY on the 21st.

Have fun in the traffic. It was pretty heavy on the road to/from Chonburi yesterday afternoon (but apparently not as bad as the freeway). Lots of people (Thais) have shut down their activities and headed home for the holidays, while others are headed to Pattaya for the party.

Pretty much time to park the moto for the next week and dig out the zip lock baggies.

sometimes in the early evening I do try and take a little exercise walk from central down to walking street

and I have to confess that soi 7-8 area is mostly drunken farangs using pvc pump guns (there were at

least half a dozen out last night) targeting songtaews and motorbikes as they tried to drive by. I almost

wish the police would confiscate their playing gear. it's not in the spirit of the thing at all. :o

Well I feel hugely embarassed and ashamed to have been vociferously defending Songkran over the last few months. These w-anchors have just validated everyone's worst comments about the whole thing.

I will still go and play, but sensibly, and within the alloted times. Please don't tar us all with the same brush, you get the odd idiot at every party or celebration around the world, who spoils it for the rest of us. :D

suddenly the voice of reason from you (in the context of Songkran...)? Or mere sarcasm? What happened?

no offense, I'll buy you a drink next time! :o

I will still go and play, but sensibly, and within the alloted times. Please don't tar us all with the same brush, you get the odd idiot at every party or celebration around the world, who spoils it for the rest of us. :D

suddenly the voice of reason from you (in the context of Songkran...)? Or mere sarcasm? What happened?

no offense, I'll buy you a drink next time! :o

No sarcasm Raro.

As a relative newbie to LOS, I have never experienced out of hours drenchings, and have defended the whole thing on the basis of my experiences. I can't believe these dickheads are so dumb to be unable to read a tourist guide or similar.

I was out last night and got a soaking on the back of a motorcy taxi at 10pm going past soi 8 on beach road. There were about 6 shirtless Americans with supersoakers who thought it was hilarious, sadly they didn't realise how stupid and pathetic they looked. I was sorely tempted to get off the bike and 're-educate' them, but there were a few big boys there :D

As we neared walking street there was a gang of Korean/ Jap tourists, half of them topless, also wandering around with the backpack style water guns - unbelievable!

One can only comment from personal experience, and up until last night all my Songkran experiences have been positive. I assumed from the negativity of the naysayers that they were exagerrating somewhat, and for that I apologise.

Anyway, the gloves are off today. I can assure you that I will (and always have) play responsibly, leave motorbikes alone (Songtaews are a fair target though IMHO), then cease and desist at 6pm if I am still standing.

I think 99% of us Songkran lovers are considerate and respectful, as the great Axl Rose once sang, 'only one bad apple spoils the whole dam_n bunch'.

Be careful, be nice, and have a great new year. I will certainly take you up on that beer Mr Raro :D

Unfortunately I'm leaving Thailand for a couple of months, and have to go to BKK for a evening flight on the 18th, any ideas anyone on how much longer it may take me due to the fact that it's Songkran and the day that the olympic torch arrives in BKK :D I was planning on leaving Pattaya about midday, thanks for any advice

Unfortunately I'm leaving Thailand for a couple of months, and have to go to BKK for a evening flight on the 18th, any ideas anyone on how much longer it may take me due to the fact that it's Songkran and the day that the olympic torch arrives in BKK :D I was planning on leaving Pattaya about midday, thanks for any advice

Your biggest ordeal will be getting out of Pattaya, and that all depends on where you are based.

Once you get on the highway you shouldn't have much of a problem, as all the traffic will be coming this way. As you are leaving Thailand I guess you are flying from Suvarniphoom? If so then you are miles out of BKK and shouldn't have a problem. If you are flying from Dom Meuang then I would suggest travelling the day before and finding a hotel for the night.

Yesterday about 4pm,i was in the back of a songtaew ,going thru i think its soi 8 up near big C,and a group of young farangs threw water and one using a hose sprayed me and a Security Guard who was also sitting in the back of the songtaew.

Now this is a day BEFORE the water is suppossed to start .

Anyway this Security guard sitting in the back with me dressed up in a immacuate white uniform complete with cap and a yellow rope on his shirt then presses the stop button.

I thought to myself what a silly place to depart with all these drunken idiots throwing water.

He then gets off not going to pay,BUT goes to confront the farang who had the hose !

As i sit there this stupid drunken farang idiot comes up behind me and throws a ice bucket of water over my head and whilst i must admit i do throw water myself during songkran i felt pissed off and i didnt laugh back.

Anyway the security guard who is confronting the farang who has a shaved head and tattoos is now receiving buckets of water over his head and being confronted by about 7 or 8 farang.

I was still angry at the ice water over my head and i felt like getting off and helping him.

I looked around and no Thais bothered to help him,some sat on their bikes and watched,the bar girls laughed as he shouted at the farang and they continued to pour water over the little security guards head.

One then pretended to get his penis out and pretend to spray the security guard.

The songtaew left,the driver didnt bother to wait for payment from the security guard,up ahead i saw 2 police standing by the side of the road,i was going to press the buzzer and let them know that the security guard was having a argument but then trying to it thee and explain would be too much trouble so i kept going.

THESE drunken farang idiots are real stupid especially when people are not prepared,i felt sorry for that guy going to work.

Last year i was the same,i too stood outside a bar and threw water,but im reconsidering this year of really how stupid i looked.

But i did have some morals,the bar had water outside but i didnt use a hose,i didnt wet old people or babies,i didnt spray people in uniform.

I dont know what happened to the 2 british farang backpackers i saw last year who followed a high ranking police officer into pattaya police station and tipped a bucket of ice water over his head.

They didnt come back out.

Edited by actiondell4

What can you expect nowdays from the Young English Element,a few bottles of Heineken,and a sniff of the barmaids apron,and they think they own the place. Lock them up,deport them,and let me hear them shout for ''Human Rights'' then. :D

Good riddance too bad rubbish I say.

SweetChariot happened to mention they were American :o

my wife and son are in roiet ,ive stocked up with food and dvds here on the darkside ,so all the two week tatooed and pigtailed ar-eholes can throw water at each other to their hearts content ,i hope the f-cking lot of them get some dread disease and their tiny d-cks that are such a good match for their brains in size fall off.

that feels better getting that off my chest :o

No sarcasm Raro.

As a relative newbie to LOS, I have never experienced out of hours drenchings, and have defended the whole thing on the basis of my experiences. I can't believe these dickheads are so dumb to be unable to read a tourist guide or similar.

I was out last night and got a soaking on the back of a motorcy taxi at 10pm going past soi 8 on beach road. There were about 6 shirtless Americans with supersoakers who thought it was hilarious, sadly they didn't realise how stupid and pathetic they looked. I was sorely tempted to get off the bike and 're-educate' them, but there were a few big boys there :o

As we neared walking street there was a gang of Korean/ Jap tourists, half of them topless, also wandering around with the backpack style water guns - unbelievable!

One can only comment from personal experience, and up until last night all my Songkran experiences have been positive. I assumed from the negativity of the naysayers that they were exagerrating somewhat, and for that I apologise.

Anyway, the gloves are off today. I can assure you that I will (and always have) play responsibly, leave motorbikes alone (Songtaews are a fair target though IMHO), then cease and desist at 6pm if I am still standing.

I think 99% of us Songkran lovers are considerate and respectful, as the great Axl Rose once sang, 'only one bad apple spoils the whole dam_n bunch'.

Be careful, be nice, and have a great new year. I will certainly take you up on that beer Mr Raro :D

that's exactly what I mean, and I have seen it over and over again in the 11 years I'm here. It has come to a total mayhem and I just cannot see the fun aspect anymore. When I read stories like the one above with the security guard, it is just making my blood pressure rise!

Hence, I decided to drop out of it alltogether and stay home and do just nothing!

there where 5 farlang arrested by police last night in soi8 , i was told that they would be locked up for up to a month unless a fine of 20000 baht each is paid . that will put a hole in their beer money . maybe the same guys involved with the security guard . som nom naa .

.... There were about 6 shirtless Americans with supersoakers who thought it was hilarious, sadly they didn't realise how stupid and pathetic they looked. I was sorely tempted to get off the bike and 're-educate' them, but there were a few big boys there :o

I am merely curious how you verified their nationality.

Passport, driver's license or other method?

If you cannot or it is too expensive or inconvenient to go abroad during Songkran, this is the way to do it if you live in or around Pattaya: Spend the first few days here, but avoid the central areas during evening/night time. We will go to town early to the gym, and return home quickly. Also stocking up in advance on F&B + movies helps.

Now to the part 2: Book yourself into a nice hotel in BKK from 17-20 April. You have minimal contact with the mayhem in Pattaya, since it starts for real later. And BKK has already finished Songkran when you arrive. So total bliss!

.... There were about 6 shirtless Americans with supersoakers who thought it was hilarious, sadly they didn't realise how stupid and pathetic they looked. I was sorely tempted to get off the bike and 're-educate' them, but there were a few big boys there :D

I bet they where talking. They have that very nice and clear english that you can hear over a great distance :o

Doesn't the water drenching normally stop at sunset in most areas?

How's 3rd Road and Pattaya Central area around Carrefour and Foodland. Is this area still safe - for shopping during the day?

.... There were about 6 shirtless Americans with supersoakers who thought it was hilarious, sadly they didn't realise how stupid and pathetic they looked. I was sorely tempted to get off the bike and 're-educate' them, but there were a few big boys there :D

I bet they where talking. They have that very nice and clear english that you can hear over a great distance :D

I'm an American and I sometimes have a difficult time telling the difference between a Yank and a Canadian. I would be interested to hear how you can tell which is which. :o