Marriage Visa Vs Thai Wife Visa

I have just been reading a thread about some guy with a 1 year mutiple entry marriage visa. He is given 90 days when he arrives in the country. I am confused as I have a Thai wife visa, which I presumed was a marriage visa! and I don't have to leave the country for 1 year at a time. If I leave the country and come back I get until the date on the original 1 year visa. I also presume that I can leave the country as many times as I want as long as I get a re-entry visa.

Can anyone clear this up for me - 1 year multiple, where you have to leave the country every 90 days, and the Thai Wife Visa valid for 1 year.

Cheers

The posting person has a visa - you have an extension of stay.

The posting person is using visit family as reason for visa (marriage certificate) - you are using support Thai wife as reason for extension of stay.

With a multi entry visa he can stay 90 days max on each visit - with your extension you never have to leave (but if you do you need a re-entry permit).

When you first arrived you also had (or obtained here) a non immigrant O visa either single entry or multi entry. But you then went to immigration with proof that you support your wife and had that visa stay extended. The poster has not done that. Perhaps they have not become aware of it; don't meet the qualifications; or travel so often/work overseas that they don't want to extend stay.

Visa is called multi entry non immigrant class O for family visitation (from a Consulate).

You have one year extension of stay for support of Thai wife (from Immigration).

Guys

I think I am the poster you are talking about, when I made a post about renewing a marriage visa. I was not sure if I had to leave the country to apply or if I could re-apply for the one year extension in the kingdom.

Last year I first obtained a single entry non-O visa in HK. Then when that visa was about to expire, on Dec. 4th I applied in Mai Sai for a 1 year extension based on marriage to Thai wife. My wife and I went to Mai Sai and I filled out the proper paperwork, showed them 400k in the bank, ATM receipts of where the money came from, house info, and also work records of direct deposits into my US bank showing employment. They granted me the 1 year extension about 4 months later but it was backdated to expire on the original date of application Dec 4th. I do not have to leave the country during the year, but must report my address to local Immigration for every 90 consecutive day stay. I also obtained a multiple re-entry permit because I travel for business at least once a month so I never have to report my address because I never get close to staying 90 consecutive days, but if I wanted I can stay all year without leaving. When I re-enter the kingdom from a business trip, the until date stamped is always Dec 4th which is the day my extension expires. Only thing I am wondering is if I leave the kingdom and return just before December 4th, will they give me a stamp which goes beyond Dec 4th which is the day my extension expires or will the expiration be Dec.4th.

If will be what is written on your re-entry permit; which will be December 4.

Remember you need to apply for another extension when you get close. If you stay out beyond that December 4 date without a new application you will have to obtain a new visa/start over.

Also a new re-entry permit will be required during the time the new application is under review and once approved a new multi re-entry permit.

The posting person has a visa - you have an extension of stay.

The posting person is using visit family as reason for visa (marriage certificate) - you are using support Thai wife as reason for extension of stay.

With a multi entry visa he can stay 90 days max on each visit - with your extension you never have to leave (but if you do you need a re-entry permit).

When you first arrived you also had (or obtained here) a non immigrant O visa either single entry or multi entry. But you then went to immigration with proof that you support your wife and had that visa stay extended. The poster has not done that. Perhaps they have not become aware of it; don't meet the qualifications; or travel so often/work overseas that they don't want to extend stay.

Visa is called multi entry non immigrant class O for family visitation (from a Consulate).

You have one year extension of stay for support of Thai wife (from Immigration).

Thanks Lopburi, you have cleared it all up!

Off topic - I saw some coins recently from Khok Samrong near Lopburi. I bought one which has a Hindu/Sanskrit Aum on the back and Ganesh on the front. Interesting the Hindu connection in Lopburi. Great temples there, especially the two in the centre of town with all the monkeys. I think they are Hindu temples, do you know?

I don't know where to post this, so I will post it here first. Please redirect as necessary.

What are the exact requirements/documents required to be able to register marriage at the local amphur office?

I seem to recall that it is

1. Proof of no criminal record, which can be obtained from your embassy.

2. A health examination signed by a medical doctor.

Is there anything else, or have I misunderstood the above requirements as well?

Cheers in advance,

Meadish

I don't know where to post this, so I will post it here first. Please redirect as necessary.

What are the exact requirements/documents required to be able to register marriage at the local amphur office?

I seem to recall that it is

1. Proof of no criminal record, which can be obtained from your embassy.

2. A health examination signed by a medical doctor.

Is there anything else, or have I misunderstood the above requirements as well?

Cheers in advance,

Meadish

The requirement is a letter from your Embassy that you are free to marry (sometimes called a good person letter by Thai). The requirements for this will vary by Embassy but is basically some bio data and statement you are not married. You need to check your Embassy for exact requirements as some will require documents from your home country and others nothing more than your notarized signature.

You then have this letter translated into Thai by an official translation service and either have them or do a registration of this document at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make it legal.

After you get this back you are free to take yourself, wife to be and ID to a District Office and register your marriage. There is a small fee to pay and if you plan a party you can arrange to do the signing there for a small additional fee. Some offices will ask you to have a translator and maybe witness but any person speaking your language can do it and it is not required by all.

I don't know where you got the requirements you list. Most Embassies can provide a check off list of exact procedure.