Thai Customs

IamMaiC

A friend of mine is interested in visiting thailand I have included the various customs

Do's, Don'ts, and Thai Customs

Thailand is an ancient country, with many customs and traditions that may be unfamiliar to foreigners. While Thai's realize that the "farang" do not know or understand many of the customs, it is important, as a foreigner, to understand that you are in their country, not your own. Some foreigners seem to think that because they have much more money than the average Thai, that somehow makes them better than Thai's and, therefore, exempt from following the customs. Wrong! You are not better than Thai people or anybody else, no matter how great the extent of your personal wealth may be. If you intend to enter Thailand with that sort of superior attitude, stay home!

There is really no excuse for failing to follow the customs. Virtually every guide book has a listing of the most important customs, which you will also find here. It is vital to be aware of the most important customs, and equally vital that you follow them. In some cases, failure to follow certain rules can actually result in arrest and imprisonment, whether you are a foreign tourist or not. If you are aware of, and adhere to, the following list, you will have no problems at all, and the Thai people will be genuinely appreciative:

Thailand is a Buddhist country. Buddha images are considered highly sacred. Any act considered sacrilegious is punishable by imprisonment. Whatever you do, do not climb on a large Buddha image to take a photo. Treat all Buddhist images and icons with reverence.

The Thai Royal Family is held in great reverence. It is illegal to deface, in any way, anything that includes the image of the king, or previous kings. That includes money. The king's image is on every coin and bill. Thai people will absolutely not tolerate criticism of the Royal Family. If you feel an urge to criticize the king, think it . . . but don't say it. Even if you hear other Thai people, even from among your friends, criticize the king or members of the Royal Family (which you probably will not hear anyway), you keep your mouth shut. Public criticism can result in arrest.

Thai women are generally conservative. Some may dress quite provocatively in public. Even they, however, do not want to be touched, whistled at, leered at, or otherwise treated in that manner. Do not do those kinds of things. Even prostitutes appreciate a little respect.

When visiting a Buddhist temple, dress appropriately. Do not wear shorts or tank tops, despite the fact that you are likely to see plenty of other tourists doing just that. Just because those people are ignorant, uncaring, or both, does not justify you doing the same thing. Also, your new friends will appreciate you much more.

Do not treat the Buddhist religion as something cute, quaint, or obsolete. Remember, there are far more Buddhists in this world than Christians, Jews, Hindus, and Islamic people combined. Thai people are not going to tolerate their religion being treated as "cute."

Females may not make any kind of physical contact with a monk, period! Females also are not allowed to give anything directly to a monk or receive anything directly from a monk. A woman must first give whatever it may be to a man, and the man will hand it over to the monk for her, and vice-versa. Even when monks travel, the airlines have special accommodations for them. I saw two monks on a public boat to a resort island, and they sat in the captain's helm area instead of with the other passengers. Under no circumstances can a woman pose for a photo with a monk. No matter how feministic your personal views may be, it is important to remember where you are, and nobody in Thailand could care less about what your personal political views may be. If you intentionally violate any of these religious customs, you are placing yourself in a position that makes you subject to arrest.

Public intimacy is not an acceptable practice in Thailand. However, holding hands in public, even men holding the hands of other men, is perfectly acceptable, and if you are walking anywhere with your new boyfriend, he will very likely want to hold hands with you. Public displays of hugging, kissing, etc. are not acceptable.

Sunbathing in the nud_e is prohibited by law. However, Thai beaches attract large numbers of European families in which the women are topless. That has become acceptable, but nothing beyond that.

Thai people prefer to be referred to by their first names, not their surnames, even in formal situations. If your name happens to be John Smith, in Thailand you will be called "Mr. John," not "Mr. Smith." That is also how you should refer to others. Use the title "Khun" in place of "Mr., Mrs., Miss."

The folded-hands Thai greeting is called the "wai." It is the equivalent of the western handshake. The wai is always initiated by a younger person, and the older person responds to it with another wai. If you find yourself in a situation in which you are not sure what to do, it is best to simply smile.

Always remove your shoes before entering a home or place of worship. That includes your hotel room.

When beckoning someone to come to you, Westerners signal with the palms of their hands facing up. In Thailand, your palm should face down or you could unintentionally create an insult.

Do not ever touch any Thai person, including children, on the top of the head. A little leeway is given for bedroom activities, but even then try to avoid it.

Do not point at anything with your feet.

Show respect for His Majesty, the King. If you are in a situation in which the Thai national anthem is played (quite common in movie theaters) you are expected to stand out of respect. Do it.

Do not criticize Thailand or try to talk about how much better it is in your own country. Avoid constant comparisons, in conversation, of Thailand to your own country. Do not constantly say things like, "Oh, in my country we do it this way." or "In my country the food is all served at the same time." Going on and on like that becomes very annoying to a Thai person before long.

Do not display emotions publicly, such as heatedly raising your voice in anger.

Do not behave in a loud, boisterous manner, no matter what the situation, no matter where you are, no matter what you see other people do. It will not be appreciated.

Do not let taxi drivers recommend a bar. Often, bars pay taxi drivers a commission to bring in customers. Your bill will be highly inflated as a result.

Be extremely cautious of those who will approach you or make advances on the streets or on the beach. While the approach may be quite legitimate, merely someone trying to earn some extra money, you have no way to be certain. If something goes wrong, you have no means by which to identify the person. However, it is quite rare for anything to go wrong when a boy is taken off from a bar. It would be quite easy to identify someone who works at a bar. The boys know that.

On rare occasions, you might wake up in the middle of the night to find the boy going through your luggage and personal belongings. Do not be alarmed. He is not trying to steal anything. That is merely Thai curiosity. If you have anything of particular value, if you prefer to be on the side of caution, store valuables in the hotel safe. It is, however, quite rare for this to happen

There may be times when your Thai friend responds to situations in ways you do not understand. If that happens, always respect your friend's wishes. Do not try to change his manner of thinking. It will not work and will also not be appreciated.

Remember, you are in their country. It is your obligation to behave appropriately and respect the culture and values of that country, whether you agree or not. If you do so, you will find that you are much more appreciated and respected yourself.

I am going to show him this listing The thing is when i was in thailand last and with my wife in bangkok we held hands while walking has that particular custom changed?? My friend is not interested in the beear bars but if he happens to meet a TG What should i tell him??

Thanks.

That your list is too much to absorb all at once and learning, really learning, about Thailand is not an internet process nor a list from a friend. Give him a few, and I mean a few, do's and don'ts. If he can't sort the rest out on his own, he doesn't need to be here.

Do not ever touch any Thai person, including children, on the top of the head. A little leeway is given for bedroom activities, but even then try to avoid it.

I'd suggest this one is outdated, and should be relegated to the dustbin. Firstly, how many of you EVER go around touching heads? Where I come from, you'd get your butt thrashed pretty quick! :o

As for kids, I see thais touch kids heads every day....Teachers gently guide the little ones that way, and people lovingly, jokingly touch the heads of others in exactly the same way as I remember in my home culture.... Of course, nobody touches a monk's head, but only a visiting village idiot from (insert country of your disdain) would need to be told that- Though monks commonly touch heads, just like priests, or whatever.

Like I said, outdated....

it is quite rare for anything to go wrong when a boy is taken off from a bar. It would be quite easy to identify someone who works at a bar. The boys know that.

On rare occasions, you might wake up in the middle of the night to find the boy going through your luggage and personal belongings.

Are you gay?

My friend is not interested in the beear bars but if he happens to meet a TG What should i tell him??

Thanks.

Sociologists estimate that 75% of single Thai males engage the services of a prostitute an average of twice a month.

This one custom you left out from your list. Maybe you should add it.

you might wake up in the middle of the night to find the boy going through your luggage and personal belongings. Do not be alarmed. He is not trying to steal anything. That is merely Thai curiosity
:o:D:D:D:D !!

Add:

Never buy gold/jems/jewlery from other than a proper shop. Gold from Red and Gold chinese shop. Gems from shopping mall jewlers etc. There is NO SUCH THING AS A GOVERNMENT SPONSORED/RUN/WHATEVER GEM/GOLD INITIATIVE. If someone says they are a government official who sells gems cheap to tourists (with/without buy back or any other bell or whistle), then they are lieing. Remember ID cards stating police/governmenmt etc can be bought from Kow San for a few dollars. Even real police/government official may try to scam you too. Every year thousands of tourists fall fail of this scam and spend a whole lot of $'s on glass jewels and junk jewlery.

Good idea to carry a throw away wallet - with 200 baht in it, and carry your cash somewhere secure like a money belt.

Bring photocopies of your passport and carry them with you. Leave your real one in the hotel safe.

Don't bother haggling over a couple of Baht - it just makes us all look cheap. However, don't let market stall hawkers take the Michael, but only pay what you think its worth.

Expect to pay more than the local from time to time for anything. Especially at forestry parks-walks etc. Just convert it to $/£/E whatever and you'll see its still very cheap. Either go or don't moaning will not help.

Smile. Everyone will want to help you more and forgive you more for your mistakes. Facial expressions are often read wrong in Asia, so hide it with a smile.

If you like to read, then buy books in duty free on the way out. They are expensive in LOS.

Etc.... :o

you might wake up in the middle of the night to find the boy going through your luggage and personal belongings. Do not be alarmed. He is not trying to steal anything. That is merely Thai curiosity
:o:D:D:D:D !!

Similar to back in England. Druggies only steal car stereos because they're curious as to how much it's worth at the local pub. :wub:

In relation to this topic, doesn't it make you cringe when tourists start waiing everybody they see, the waitress, gardener, taxi driver, housekeeper, the kids in the school bus...and they do it Indian style as well.....with the palms together at the chest level..... :o

Do not waii at every moving object you see, and try to blend in! :D

Another 2 thing that could land your in prison for a long time.

1. Thai flag represents the King (blue colour), religion (pure so it s white colour) and the nation (red colour as the nation's blood). So anything to do with insulting or deface the flag will mean you insult the 3 things as mention.

2. Age of consent in Thailand is 18. Anyone has sex with a person under 18 will be classed as rape by law disregard of whether they are willing or not as the person under 18 cannot give consent to sex! But you can have sex with someone from 15 if their parents give consent. Imagine that! :o No,this law is for when parents want to marry their daughter off at 15, usually this is quite common in the past.

By the way I heard that age of consent in Columbia is 14 for the boys and 12 for the girls!!!

One simple rule: Respect Buddah/Royal Family and you should get along fine.

Most of the customary practices don't seem to be followed any more on that long list. Christ public displays of affection? Last time I checked they were shagging on coach system in BKK. :o

Erm my understanding is that, by law at least, if you pay its illegal at any age - just not actively applied.

15 with parental permission, and 18 for free will is what I undetsand too (from above).

You're right about the age...

http://www.ageofconsent.com/thailand.htm

Interesting wording in the law, seems to leave the law a bit unclear on the legality of prostitution over age 18.... :o

Section 8 of the " Prostitution Prevention and Suppression Act " states

" Whoever, for sexual gratification of that person or of the third person, commits sexual intercourse

or any other act against a person who is over fifteen (15) years but not yet over eighteen (18) years

of age, with or without his or her consent, in a place for prostitution, shall be punished with

imprisonment of one to three years and a fine of twenty thousand to sixty thousand baht.

If you drop a coin, do NOT stamp on it with your foot to stop it rolling away! This is considered very disrespectful to the King, whose image is on the coin. Just watch where it goes and get it when it stops.

(I lost 10 baht like this when a coin went under a 7-11 food rack. I told the guy who tried to get it back that he could have it if he found it!)

In relation to this topic, doesn't it make you cringe when tourists start waiing everybody they see, the waitress, gardener, taxi driver, housekeeper, the kids in the school bus...and they do it Indian style as well.....with the palms together at the chest level..... :o

Do not waii at every moving object you see, and try to blend in! :D

Don't tell 'em that. It's always worth a hoot watching the awkwardness of the whole affair. Short, younger Thai person wondering, 'Why farang want me dead? What I do wrong?' whilst farang thinks, 'I am indeed a member of the international community.'

I love it! :D

It is no longer a big deal to pat Thai kids on the head. From what I have seen, not only is it acceptable, but it is increasingly common.

Small children maybe,

BUT be ready with a real big apology if you accidentally touch an adult's head.

OK then this list is a little outdated?? It also mentioned that it's ok for men to walk hand in hand and also women I did this with my wife when i was in bangkok last at first i took my hand away and my wife grabbed my hand back So it is Ok to hold hands now??

Do not waii at every moving object you see, and try to blend in!  :D

Don't tell 'em that. It's always worth a hoot watching the awkwardness of the whole affair. Short, younger Thai person wondering, 'Why farang want me dead? What I do wrong?' whilst farang thinks, 'I am indeed a member of the international community.'

I love it! :D

Seen some English royal family did that to Thai kids too,cringe!! :D

OK then this list is a little outdated?? It also mentioned that it's ok for men to walk hand in hand and also women I did this with my wife when i was in bangkok last at first i took my hand away and my wife grabbed my hand back So it is Ok to hold hands now??

No problem I suppose, although it's mostly closed-thread variety women you see holding hands in BKK.

OK then this list is a little outdated??  It also mentioned that it's ok for men to walk hand in hand and also women  I did this with my wife when i was in bangkok last  at first i took my hand away and my wife grabbed my hand back  So it is Ok to hold hands now??

No problem I suppose, although it's mostly closed-thread variety women you see holding hands in BKK.

My Mom had told me Don't do like American's in Thailand Kissing and such So I thought Holding hands was out of the question and I remeber my mom saying this also So when my Wife reached for my hand I didn't hold hers and took my hand away She then grabbed it So i said to myself better not make her angry or upset her So i continued to hold it

I know Kissing is not good to do in public

OK then this list is a little outdated??   It also mentioned that it's ok for men to walk hand in hand and also women   I did this with my wife when i was in bangkok last   at first i took my hand away and my wife grabbed my hand back  So it is Ok to hold hands now??

My Mom had told me Don't do like American's in Thailand Kissing and such So I thought Holding hands was out of the question and I remeber my mom saying this also So when my Wife reached for my hand I didn't hold hers and took my hand away She then grabbed it So i said to myself better not make her angry or upset her So i continued to hold it

I know Kissing is not good to do in public

Depends on the type of kissing and to make matters worse what part of the body you're kissing :o

While we courted, under watchful eye of mum/grandma/auntie/dad/brother/older sister etc (chaperoned) - no holding hands in public. Hold hands in the garden etc was OK - kissing was a definite 'no,no'. Two years later we were married, and lost the chaperone and private rules (obviously), but public rules persisted for a number of years.

In the UK we hold hands and peck-kiss in public. In LOS we now hold hands if walking (we usually have the kids with us, so makes it a little more obvious we are wed).

In LOS my wife still cringes at farangs swapping saliver in the street.

You also often see farang tourists (men) stroking their lady's hair at restaurants etc. Some farang once stroked my wife's hair while she was standing at a stall in CM night bazaar. She was shocked, but didn't have to rebuke him as the stall holder - and old woman - did a good enough job!

I have to agree with Meom, and say it is usally the BG's and the like that feel free to hold hands, kiss etc in public. This seems to be changing though - especially in BKK. I often see young hi-so girls now being very open with effection in public - never used to see this. My wife could be classed as hi-so (though she will deny it), but would never allow such familiarity in public.