Australian Man Dies After Swallowing Hashish - Filled Condoms

sbk

Australian in critical condition in Thailand after swallowing hashish-packed condoms

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - An Australian man was in critical condition in southern Thailand on Saturday after swallowing condoms that were packed with hashish and burst inside his stomach, police said.

John Paul Jones, 51, will be charged with drug trafficking when his condition improves, said police Lt. Col. Weerasak Pokarat in Surat Thani township.

The offense carries a maximum 20-year prison term.

Friends took Jones to a hospital in Surat Thani saying he had been complaining of severe stomach pain for five days, Weerasak said. The friends disappeared after dropping Jones off.

An X-ray found he had 60 condoms packed with hashish in his stomach, weighing a total of 800 grams (28 ounces), Weerasak said.

«Three condoms had burst, which was causing the pain,» Weerasak said.

Jones had been staying on the southern island of Koh Phangan, known for its all-day, all-night Full Moon Parties.

Source: PR-Inside.com

Also covered here in Thai Rath online

break10.51_1.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so that's how hash gets here- nice :o

p.s. not to be insensitive to his plight, but i wonder what's going on now? is he super stoned? can having that much hash in you kill you?

Edited by girlx

smuggling narcotics into thailand? don't they have plenty and cheap ones of their own?

waiting 5 days and than going to the hospital is a suicide or 20 years behind bars - better for him was to pay good money to any surgeon to remove condoms at his own place

smuggling narcotics into thailand? don't they have plenty and cheap ones of their own?

waiting 5 days and than going to the hospital is a suicide or 20 years behind bars - better for him was to pay good money to any surgeon to remove condoms at his own place

Well he'd been staying on KP so the article said & i would have thought they were going out of the Country rather than coming into it ??

Yes, the article stated he had been staying on Koh Phangan, presumably, that is where he got the drugs.

He could have gotten ill here, and getting worse, his friends took him to Surat Thani. A wise move considering the state of the hospital on this island.

Australian man in critical condition after swallowing hashish-filled condoms

BANGKOK, Thailand - An Australian man is facing drug trafficking charges in Thailand after doctors discovered 60 condoms filled with hashish in his stomach.

For now, though, 51-year-old John Paul Jones is in critical condition.

Friends dropped him off at a hospital in southern Thailand after he complained of stomach pains. X-rays showed 3 of the drug packets had burst. Altogether, the 60 condoms contained a pound and a half of hashish.

Police say the friends who dropped him off have disappeared.

- Associated Press / April 12, 2008

Australian caught with drug-filled condoms

An Australian man has reportedly been hospitalised in southern Thailand after hashish-filled condoms burst in his stomach.

According to an AP report, x-rays showed John Paul Jones, 51, had 60 condoms filled with hashish in his stomach, weighing 800 grams. Three of the condoms burst leaving him in a critical condition.

When his condition improves he will be charged with drug trafficking, police Lieutenant Colonel Weerasak Pokarat said.

Mr Jones had been staying on the southern island of Koh Pha Ngan, known for its all-day, all-night Full Moon Parties.

- news.com.au (today)

==============================================================================

Police: Man Swallows 60 Packs of Hashish

BANGKOK, Thailand - An Australian man was in critical condition in southern Thailand on Saturday after swallowing condoms that were packed with hashish and burst inside his stomach, police said.

John Paul Jones, 51, will be charged with drug trafficking when his condition improves, said police Lt. Col. Weerasak Pokarat in Surat Thani township. The offense carries a maximum prison term of 20 years.

Friends took Jones to a Surat Thani hospital and said he had been complaining of severe stomach pain for five days, Weerasak said. The friends disappeared after dropping Jones off.

An X-ray found he had 60 hashish-packed condoms weighing a total of 28 ounces in his stomach, Weerasak said. "Three condoms had burst, which was causing the pain," Weerasak said.

Jones had been staying on the southern island of Koh Phangan, known for its active party scene.

- Associated Press / 4-12-08

Edited by sriracha john

ahhh ... ok, didn't check with the local forum. Perhaps these can be merged

Just for the record and clarity, the accused is NOT the British bassist for Led Zeppelin...

johnpauljones1.jpg

John Paul Jones

NOR the American naval hero...

150px-Cpt_John_Paul_Jones.jpg

John Paul Jones

Nor the car dealer from pontadawe in s wales also known as jack the rat ! :o

The condoms bursting in his stomach will not be the reason he is ill. Three broken condoms would be about 40 grams. You would need to digest a whole lot more than that to be in any danger of dieing. In fact if memory serves me right its near enough impoissible to die from an overdose of Hashish.

What gets me is how you go about swallowing 60 condoms with about half an ounce of hash in them. Try swallowing an ice cube hole. Its about that size. How much money would he of made? No more than £3000 I would imagine. Now he's gonna die in a thai jail. Game over!

Edited by Fantasteak

The condoms bursting in his stomach will not be the reason he is ill. Three broken condoms would be about 40 grams. You would need to digest a whole lot more than that to be in any danger of dieing. In fact if memory serves me right its near enough impoissible to die overdose on Hashish.

What gets me is how you go about swallowing 60 condoms with about half an ounce of hash in them. Try swallowing an ice cube hole. Its about that size. How much money would he of made? No more than £3000 I would imagine. Now he's gonna die in a thai jail. Game over!

It's a strange story, if he was taking the Hash outta Thailand why was he still in Thailand after 5 days, I can only assume he was taking it to the Islands for full moon parties etc, maybe he flew into Thailand from India or Nepal with the drugs in his stomach, went to the Islands and couldn't pass them so Had no choice but to go to Hospital after days of trying to pass them.

Jeeez, If he went that route after Air Fares I doubt he would make much money even if successful, shows how desperate he was I guess. Poor guy should have flown to Amsterdam and went to hospital, he'd be free after a few days.

The condoms bursting in his stomach will not be the reason he is ill. Three broken condoms would be about 40 grams. You would need to digest a whole lot more than that to be in any danger of dieing. In fact if memory serves me right its near enough impoissible to die from an overdose of Hashish.

ahhh ... ok, didn't check with the local forum. Perhaps these can be merged

Just for the record and clarity, the accused is NOT the British bassist for Led Zeppelin...

johnpauljones1.jpg

John Paul Jones

NOR the American naval hero...

150px-Cpt_ohn_Paul_Jones.jpg

John Paul Jones

there is a new word for it: Googlegänger, the google twin.

it is the winner in the “Most Creative” category in the Word of the Year event 2007 by the American Dialect Society.

28 ounces of solid hash in the UK will have a street value of 60GBP an ounce as no one want solids anymore 28 x 60 = 1680GBP

Lets say the price is double in LOS though i really have no idea its hardly going to buy him a speedboat and malitia army to put the Columbians out of business.

This is a huge amount to put inside ones body and he could have got a job at the circus just for managing to do this.

1 ounce is approx 8cm x 3cm x 1.5cm

apparently many people smuggle drugs (hash, coke, ecstacy) into thailand for the full moon party

According to whom?

Apparently you don't mean foreigners, since apparently it is very easy to get drugs in overland by local people. Or from up country, apparently.

Apparently, you can purchase narcotics in and around the areas that are home to the full-moon parties without any problems.

Of course, apparently this begs the old question: why was he here for five days with a stomach full of hash-filled condoms? Apparently, one downs the latex and then hops on a flight. Apparently, he wasn't as smart as you average bear.

at 51 he should know better

Person I knew very well in Goa India, got his house raided by police, he was 52 years old he had hash in his pocket doing a deal and swallowed it,

dont know how much it was actualy but he died of a heart attack 2 hours later.

So I think hashish can be very dangerous in high doses, but then again he could have had a heart condition and not have known it like some older people have.

bottom line is, he is and idiot and with a few years in the Bangkok Hilton, he himself will realise that he is and idiot.

no sympathy what so ever.

at 51 he should know better

Person I knew very well in Goa India, got his house raided by police, he was 52 years old he had hash in his pocket doing a deal and swallowed it,

dont know how much it was actualy but he died of a heart attack 2 hours later.

So I think hashish can be very dangerous in high doses, but then again he could have had a heart condition and not have known it like some older people have.

bottom line is, he is and idiot and with a few years in the Bangkok Hilton, he himself will realise that he is and idiot.

no sympathy what so ever.

If he got raided and ate some hash and died 2 hours later how do you know he ate it, was his call from his cell to you? I guarantee if you eat a smallish amount you will be right as rain in the morning. It would be impossible to eat a large amount unless swallowed whole in which case it would take days to digest.

As 16 yo kids we got raided in my friends garage whilst smoking hash/solids, i hastily put my eight in my mouth and couldnt swallow it, so i ended up chewing it for an hour whilst the filth searched us all, it was truly disgusting and as soon they went with my friends arrested in the meatwagon i had to spit the orrid stuff out.

28 ounces of solid hash in the UK will have a street value of 60GBP an ounce as no one want solids anymore 28 x 60 = 1680GBP

Lets say the price is double in LOS though i really have no idea its hardly going to buy him a speedboat and malitia army to put the Columbians out of business.

This is a huge amount to put inside ones body and he could have got a job at the circus just for managing to do this.

1 ounce is approx 8cm x 3cm x 1.5cm

One ounce = 28 grams. At 60GBP per ounce, roughly 2GBP per gram sounds like a good deal. I'm just guessing though.

The condoms bursting in his stomach will not be the reason he is ill. Three broken condoms would be about 40 grams. You would need to digest a whole lot more than that to be in any danger of dieing. In fact if memory serves me right its near enough impoissible to die overdose on Hashish.

It's a strange story, if he was taking the Hash outta Thailand why was he still in Thailand after 5 days, I can only assume he was taking it to the Islands for full moon parties etc, maybe he flew into Thailand from India or Nepal with the drugs in his stomach, went to the Islands and couldn't pass them so Had no choice but to go to Hospital after days of trying to pass them.

Jeeez, If he went that route after Air Fares I doubt he would make much money even if successful, shows how desperate he was I guess. Poor guy should have flown to Amsterdam and went to hospital, he'd be free after a few days.

Not that strange I met a English bloke in Laos five years ago who did the same he bought the hash in Northern India and smuggled it in to Thailand made a good profit on it floging it to other backpackers

I thought hashish was for smoking, not eating !

And eat that packed in a condom, this is a show of bad taste, the guy deserves to be punished ...

(I hope the condom was with a -for example- straberry taste)

I suggest to force him to eat his food packed in condoms !

I thought hashish was for smoking, not eating !

In 19th century, many romantic french writers (Charles Baudelaire, but also Rimbaud, De Nerval etc.) were consuming hashish as a... "confiture" (jelly) : "the dawamesk".

http://france-for-visitors.com/paris/ile-st-louis.html

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haschisch

They say that the effects start much later than smoking... but last longer too, much longer.

One ounce = 28 grams. At 60GBP per ounce, roughly 2GBP per gram sounds like a good deal. I'm just guessing though.

It may even be cheaper then that on the ounce, its probably 10GBP for an 8th of an oz., when i was a drug monster in 1990 an ounce was 85/90GBP or an 8th of an oz was 14/15GBP. everyone wants grass/weed now and its 20/25GBP for 1/8th and 100-125GBP for an ounce.

Ecstacy is only 50 pence if you buy in bulk in the UK surely if you are stupid enough to smuggle drugs it would be a better bet as they sell for 1000BHT in BKK, probably more at the full moon.

All this man would have to do is go to his home country and work for 6 weeks to get the profit he would have made from this hash, its got to be easier and less stressful then running and selling drugs in a country with the death penalty.

I dont touch drugs anymore as they dont go with my pipe and slippers image.