Internet Access On Koh Tao Is A Joke!

lincsong

I have been on Koh Tao for nearly five years now, and the internet speed here has never been over 800 KBPS, and averages closer to 500KBPS (That's K, NOT Mbps!), it is too slow for streaming video, even with my own ADSL, and even web surfing is barely worth it. Can anyone suggest a cure, or perhaps an e-mail address or phone number to complain to (as if that would help!)... The rest of the world is running at multiples to what Thailand is doing, at this rate, Thailand will remain a "developing nation" forever! Thank you for allowing me to vent :o

What do you expect on a holiday island?? Internet in Thailand is generally crap but it does reach to some far away places. Try getting DSL in middle america and you'll be surprised.

That said you might get those new 3G services there sooner or later...

Was down south a few weeks ago in Nakhorn Si Thammarat - the transfer speeds I was getting from using my laptop on an Edge was more than reasonable. Obviously not up to broadband standard, but no problems browsing.

Is that an option?

and the internet speed here has never been over 800 KBPS, and averages closer to 500KBPS

You're lucky, there's people in Bangkok only getting 200 kbps on a 2.5Mbps True line :o And that's the capital...

In short, same as everywhere in Thailand, upgrade your package to a higher level (business) and your speeds will suddenly increase a lot.

Of course you'll pay more then 800 Baht/month ....

I have been on Koh Tao for nearly five years now, and the internet speed here has never been over 800 KBPS, and averages closer to 500KBPS (That's K, NOT Mbps!), it is too slow for streaming video, even with my own ADSL, and even web surfing is barely worth it. Can anyone suggest a cure, or perhaps an e-mail address or phone number to complain to (as if that would help!)... The rest of the world is running at multiples to what Thailand is doing, at this rate, Thailand will remain a "developing nation" forever! Thank you for allowing me to vent :o

If you don't like it go back to where you came from!

This is Thailand, why should they change just to please a few whingeing foreigners.

The lack of a proper infrastructure is what makes this place so appealing.

Just think what it would be like if eveything worked as it should. All the character would be gone.

This is Thailand, why should they change just to please a few whingeing foreigners.

Just think what it would be like if eveything worked as it should. All the character would be gone.

What have you been smoking?

You sound like a non-Thai person who believes that people should not voice their opinion on topics relevant to Thailand or that Thailand should not modernize by improving services. What are you, one of those people who believe that the country should not improve itself?

I believe that not just the non-Thai people have complaints about the internet speeds here. IMHO, any non-Thai person happy with the internet service, and using the excuse of "lack of proper infrastructure is what makes this place so appealing" has completely lost it. All should be wanting the country to improve and if it makes it better for the Thai people and less appealing for some non-Thai, then fine.

Mini rant is over.

TheWalkingMan

Linc,

look on the bright side! You have an adsl line while the TOT capacity is now full. Nomore adsl lines available on Koh Tao from TOT.

The only thing you can do: be patient. CAT will be supplying ADSL in the near future on Koh Tao and they outperform TOT on Samui and Phangan.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

He does'nt like the speed of the internet. He obviously loves the Island. "Go back to where you come from" ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

What have you been smoking?

You sound like a non-Thai person who believes that people should not voice their opinion on topics relevant to Thailand or that Thailand should not modernize by improving services. What are you, one of those people who believe that the country should not improve itself?

I believe that not just the non-Thai people have complaints about the internet speeds here. IMHO, any non-Thai person happy with the internet service, and using the excuse of "lack of proper infrastructure is what makes this place so appealing" has completely lost it. All should be wanting the country to improve and if it makes it better for the Thai people and less appealing for some non-Thai, then fine.

Mini rant is over.

TheWalkingMan

It appears my attempt at wry humour went over a couple of peoples heads except edwinchester who seems to have got the joke.

If thats the case I apologise.

Just giving a reply in the style of all the Thai apologists who can't stand any criticism of shortcomings in Thailand.

Yes outside of BKK internet speed is useless and erratic and there are little or no alternatives.

Very frustrating and annoying.