The Price Of Living In Thailand

Viper

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Sorry, I just assumed you had met someone from Glasgow. Most incomprehensible dialect of English I have ever heard, and in my now 20 years of living overseas, I have heard quite a few.

OK, back to the price of goods in thailand and how much teachers make :D

I apologise for being slightly off topic but when I was in Glasgow many years ago I was totally confused in Chinese and Indian reataurants where the ethnic waiters spoke broad Glaswegian.

I was down to pointing at the menu to order and I am English but well travelled.

For those making a comparison with US prices of goods, especially cars and electronics you should realise that US is at least 40% cheaper than UK for these items. Think of the price in US and it's the same price in UK but in GBP. eg. a $500 computer is GBP 500 (US$990), a $15 CD is GBP 15 (US$30).

And don't forget your cheap petrol prices.

So your comparisons of cost of living in LOS may come out to be cheaper/same as if you were back home but compared to UK the cost of living here is definitely cheaper.

And taking into consideration working and taxation where the salaries are the same as UK and tax is less than half.

In all these comparisons on cost of living in various countries, we all need to keep in mind that the bulk of most people's spending is on the necessities of life: food, clothing, and shelter. By these standards, Thailand is still very reasonable. Of course, this assumes that most of your purchases in these categories will be locally grown, processed, or manufactured.

Renting and buying apartments, condos, and houses is very reasonable compared to major Western markets. Home utilities are very reasonable by US standards also. Even locally assembled Japanese automobiles are competitive with the USA (about 10% more...don't know about European prices). In addition, the gas/diesel to put in these cars is about the same as US (and much cheaper than in Europe) so again Thailand scores very well.

The cost of all entertainment, e.g., movies, concerts, lectures, tours, companionship, is much cheaper than Europe or America too.

The only area where Thailand really comes out behind is in imported luxury goods. The market for these items is minuscule and the exercise taxes very high (as they should be in a developing country). But even if one does purchase these items, they are not everyday purchases and therefore would not consume an inordinate amount of most people's budgets. If you gave up your Bling lifestyle when you expatriated, they you don't even have to worry anymore about these silly purchases.

A great country & affordable: Example - Shoelaces: Thailand 12 bht, USA 3 dollars.

CORRECTION: Pardon me. I just checked the internet for my favorite brand (imported from France) 6 dollars U.S. per pair please.

Great so now if I could get a pair of shoes in man sizes I would have something to lace up.

I dont know about other people but I tend to get laces with the shoes I buy.. The shoes always die before I replace laces.

A great country & affordable: Example - Shoelaces: Thailand 12 bht, USA 3 dollars.

CORRECTION: Pardon me. I just checked the internet for my favorite brand (imported from France) 6 dollars U.S. per pair please.

i'd rather walk barefoot (which i do anyway most of the time) before paying 6 dollar for shoe laces. but then i'm rather poor with nothing but a fistful of millions :o

i'd rather walk barefoot (which i do anyway most of the time) before paying 6 dollar for shoe laces. but then i'm rather poor with nothing but a fistful of millions :o

I cannot afford 6 dollars for shoelaces either, but 12 bht OK. I was just making a silly comparison. When I lived is USA & working, I bought a few pairs of my favorite French shoes & they are still going strong. the company will completely refurbish them when needed. Unfortunately, my feet are not up to wearing flip-flops & sandals outside the house.

Of course, if you want to live like you did in Kensington or Cincinatti, it ain't cheap to live a farang lifestyle. The more you live like locals, on the economy, the cheaper it gets.

Absolutely.

Also there may be many retail items sold in the UK and the United States that are selling for cheaper than in Thailand, but if comparing the cost of living between Thailand and in the UK, there is no comparison.

The crippler in the Uk are the mandatory bills:

Council tax

TV licence

Water rates

Huge electric & gas bills

Heating costs

Compulsory car insurance

Home insurance

Petrol over 70 baht per litre

Car MOT

Clothing expensive

Up to 40% tax on earnings

Basic service for a car, 10000 baht

I could go, on and on.

Edited by distortedlink

:D Sorry, I just assumed you had met someone from Glasgow. Most incomprehensible dialect of English I have ever heard, and in my now 20 years of living overseas, I have heard quite a few.

Have you ever been to Newcastle-on-Tyne? :o

yeah its funny that all the stuff that costs nothing to make, like shoelaces, is ridiculously expensive in the USA, but stuff like the latest Honda or HDTV is much cheaper then anywhere else, even the countries which made the product. i love going home, browsing on amazon at rock bottom prices and having it all delivered for free to the foot of my door. but no way in hel_l i am buying any $7 shoelaces or $21 plastic sandals.

yeah its funny that all the stuff that costs nothing to make, like shoelaces, is ridiculously expensive in the USA, but stuff like the latest Honda or HDTV is much cheaper then anywhere else, even the countries which made the product. i love going home, browsing on amazon at rock bottom prices and having it all delivered for free to the foot of my door.

Well, that's what a consumer market of 300 million (vs what, 10-15 mil in Thailand) will do to prices. That's why my Canuck, Aussie, and Kiwi friends complain about prices of consumer goods all the time. Don't really know why they are so much more expensive in EU though...their common market population is larger than US (thought on average still not as rich).

Amazon rocks!!! I stock-up my wish list while loafing in Thailand and go back to USA once a year. Order DVDs, CDs, electronics, even some food items a couple days before I depart and it gets delivered to me a day or so after I get back. Unpack it all, stuff it in my suitcase, and enjoy it back in Thailand.

yeah its funny that all the stuff that costs nothing to make, like shoelaces, is ridiculously expensive in the USA, but stuff like the latest Honda or HDTV is much cheaper then anywhere else, even the countries which made the product. i love going home, browsing on amazon at rock bottom prices and having it all delivered for free to the foot of my door.

Well, that's what a consumer market of 300 million (vs what, 10-15 mil in Thailand) will do to prices. That's why my Canuck, Aussie, and Kiwi friends complain about prices of consumer goods all the time. Don't really know why they are so much more expensive in EU though...their common market population is larger than US (thought on average still not as rich).

Amazon rocks!!! I stock-up my wish list while loafing in Thailand and go back to USA once a year. Order DVDs, CDs, electronics, even some food items a couple days before I depart and it gets delivered to me a day or so after I get back. Unpack it all, stuff it in my suitcase, and enjoy it back in Thailand.

I do the same every year when I go back to the U.S. I have all internet transactions sent to my sisters house & pick them up when I visit. It is difficult to find certain items here.

As for a MODEST 10 million baht house- I would hardly call that modest in Thailand. My God man how many people are in your family LOS.

And a 1500 baht haircut sounds like you were getting a college girl on walking streets to TRIM your shorthairs & the works.

100-200 baht is the most I have seen even at the malls----unless hair straightening manicure & pedicure & extras. For 1500 baht my girls beauty salon in Pattaya would Wash, cut staighten your hair manicure, peticure another 500 baht you could get a perm Eyelash curling complimentary.

I pay 2.5 % elec per kw hour & have quite a bit more modest house than 10 million baht & will pay for itself within 4-5 years(not counting the money back when we-if we decide to sell it.

I don't require the brand new truck I have had for 14 years. No one to impress. I eat what I want- more Thai(since that is one of the reasons I moved here.)Thai made motorcycle Kawasaki bout the same as if it were made in Japan. Medicine much cheaper(except for major surgeries) about the same.

All in all since I am not in need of the western trappings Thailand is by far cheaper.

IE: $100,000 USD lasts maybe 2 years or less- setting up a house ---TV fridge couch bed Yadee yadee ya Getting the good stuff here as well as there. once the initial buy in is done , your out of bullets a heck of a lot quicker in the U.S. Not to mention no tax but Vat tax as I am not working here. U.S. I drive 180 kilos a day in a truck or sportscar here maybe an average of 20 kilos a day. The land cost more , The house is 10 times cheaper & less if you are mechanically inclined & have common sense( The Key Word) Not talking about an Einstein, but a typical layman. Even at that labor is dirt cheap.

cheap here. 250-300 baht a day for a skilled tradesman to repair your body work & paint your car, compared to my shop rate $80.00 USD an hour to repair.And more if your fussy! Triple if you watch.

I don't think you have to be a genius to notice how little it cost in comparison to our home countries. The only downside I can see is the quality is most likely less than our home countries.

But we always have a choice- can always go back home if it is to expensive here for us!

And a 1500 baht haircut sounds like you were getting a college girl on walking streets to TRIM your shorthairs & the works.

I pay 2.5 % elec per kw hour!

Somebody actually paid B 1500 for a haircut...gimma a break. I go to a great real barber shop in Pattaya (clean, aircon shop) and the standard haircut in B 100 :o

Just got my electric bill for the past month (first month of the 2-3 month hot season) and I had 2 aircon units (9000 and 12,000 BTUs) running 24/7 and it was only B 1600. Normally, the bill running the 9000 BTU only about half-time is B 500.

Edited by jonniebkk

Just got my electric bill for the past month (first month of the 2-3 month hot season) and I had 2 aircon units (9000 and 12,000 BTUs) running 24/7 and it was only B 1600.

How do you keep them from catching fire? Or do you mean you only run one unit and then let it have downtime while you run the other unit? (like 7-11's do with their 4-6 units) If so, then the bill sounds about right.

:o

Just got my electric bill for the past month (first month of the 2-3 month hot season) and I had 2 aircon units (9000 and 12,000 BTUs) running 24/7 and it was only B 1600.

How do you keep them from catching fire? Or do you mean you only run one unit and then let it have downtime while you run the other unit? (like 7-11's do with their 4-6 units) If so, then the bill sounds about right.

I am sorry, I mis-wrote. The larger 12k BTU unit is in the living room and is turned off at nite. So it runs about 14 hours per day (or about 2/3 of the day).

As to your question about fire, I don't really understand. Are not aircon units designed to run without catching fire? I don't recall reading in any of the documentation that came with them (York units) about any limitation on how long they could be run. If it makes any difference, I don't like it too cool so have them set at 29 or 30 degrees (depending on humidity). Therefore, they certainly don't have to work as hard as others at some people's who set them at 25, or even less.

I am sorry, I mis-wrote. The larger 12k BTU unit is in the living room and is turned off at nite. So it runs about 14 hours per day (or about 2/3 of the day).

As to your question about fire, I don't really understand. Are not aircon units designed to run without catching fire? I don't recall reading in any of the documentation that came with them (York units) about any limitation on how long they could be run. If it makes any difference, I don't like it too cool so have them set at 29 or 30 degrees (depending on humidity). Therefore, they certainly don't have to work as hard as others at some people's who set them at 25, or even less.

Even running them at 29 is not a bad electric bill! Our bill is 700-800 baht a month. It is pretty cool in Bang Sare(no air needed- built house in the right direction to keep it cool) compared to Pattaya.When I lived there mandatory air at least when sleeping. otherwise a quick cool down was nice. Our 2 pumps for the extra rai's are for the plants. No complaints -pretty cheap!

Edited by Beardog

As to your question about fire, I don't really understand. Are not aircon units designed to run without catching fire?

More likely it would just break down. I was merely questioning that you never turned off your aircons. Your bill sounds about right for running one aircon 'most of the day,' as you described, or two aircons 'some of the day.' As far as I can figure, our average use is about 1400-1600 Baht per month per unit for an electric bill of about 29-30,000 a month, but it's skewed by the 4 older somewhat inefficient (but supercool) dinosaur units we have running two at a time 4am to midnite everyday in the office.

:o

Edited by Heng

We pay about 3,000 bt/month. Only one A/C unit in the bedroom which runs about 16 hrs/day. We live in a 3-story shophouse. Lights, washing machine, computer running 24/7, fans. TV or stereo running all the time, sometimes both. Refrigerator and electric cooking.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

to all these most informative and very professionally detailed postings i would like to add mine:

we run several aircons quite a lot during daytime and fewer aircons in the nights. we have a dog and two fridges. the dog runs when he is not sleeping. last month our electricity bill was 387 Baht.

to all these most informative and very professionally detailed postings i would like to add mine:

we run several aircons quite a lot during daytime and fewer aircons in the nights. we have a dog and two fridges. the dog runs when he is not sleeping. last month our electricity bill was 387 Baht.

How so cheap? does the dog run on a conveyor belt? would be a very valuable dog

sorry, i forgot to mention we paid 387 Baht per day.

wow my condo is raping me on the electricity bill

If you are in a condo or apt. you are paying 7-maybe 9 baht a kilowatt hour compared to 2.5-3.7 baht kwh for a house! And they are stroking you for the water usage as well.

Hi Naam,

I bet it still cheaper than it was in Germany?

Beardog

Well I just moved into a new house.. And have just been informed by both the landlord and the developer (I didnt trust the landlord) that there is no meter and no electric bill !! Something about the development stalling and meters never got fitted..

Lord alone knows what that means for the future but as of now I run AC at a cost of 0 baht per month !!

Well I just moved into a new house.. And have just been informed by both the landlord and the developer (I didnt trust the landlord) that there is no meter and no electric bill !! Something about the development stalling and meters never got fitted..

You must be kidding right :o I mean, things like metered utilities that we take for granted back home, one always has to check on in Thailand! I was once looking at a house in a moobaan here in Pattaya and the whole moobaan was not connected to the city mains (on a soi that has mains service)!!! I asked if they had their own large water well/pump just for the moobaan and again none. If you want water, have to put in a tank and have it delivered...<deleted>!!! These were tiny houses/plots (50-75 sqw) so not places that you could put in your own private well system.

As for YoungFarang, one of the benefits of being an "old farang" is that you know about all the Thai landlord scams...the biggest one being charging 2-3 times the actual cost for electricity and sometimes even water service. Nice little money earner that one..."buy" power from EGAT for B 2.5 unit and "sell" it to your tenants for B 5-7 a unit.

Nope not kidding.. The development stalled halfway, on the other side from me theres shells that never got done and I am out off an edge all on our own.. But it seems in the end the developer didnt put individual meters in and is just running the place of his initial development transformer or something. I guess selling a few 15m houses he was happy to pay the few 1000 baht per month electric.

Apparently this has been the standard system for 2+ years..

Thinking about starting a laundrette :o !!

Hi Naam,

Beardog

can't really tell Beardog. we had a home in Germany for nearly 25 years but never lived in it more than two months a year. my best guess is that our energy bill (electricity and heating oil, living in Germany the whole year) would be presently approximately 9-10k EUR per annum equivalent to 40,000 Baht a month. if our thai home was located in Germany the total energy cost would be not less than 75,000 Baht a month.

Hi Naam,

Beardog

can't really tell Beardog. we had a home in Germany for nearly 25 years but never lived in it more than two months a year. my best guess is that our energy bill (electricity and heating oil, living in Germany the whole year) would be presently approximately 9-10k EUR per annum equivalent to 40,000 Baht a month. if our thai home was located in Germany the total energy cost would be not less than 75,000 Baht a month.

Somehow I had a feeling, U.S. would be lower but definitely higher than here!