Motorcycle Anti-theft Security

sibeymai

Will be buying a new motorcycle in the next few weeks. Need to trade up from my Yamaha Mio which has given good service in Bangkok but now moving up country so need something a bit more capable for longer trips on the highway. Considering a Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Air Blade. Would really like a Yamaha 150 if they introduce the new model to Thailand. Had a Honda 125R a few years ago and really enjoyed it as a first bike, so my guess is that the Yamaha 150 would be similar and good for travelling longer distances, but no extra carrying ability for shopping like the Nouvo.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is how people prevent their bikes being stolen. I'd like to find some good stainless or hardened steel chain in Bangkok. Pretty sure the stuff that's generally avaialble wouldn't pose much of a problem for some bolt cutters. But if bikes are taken away in the back of pickups then a good chain isn't going to be much of a deterrent.

So how to stop a bike being stolen ? I work on the theory that it only has to be just a little more difficult to steal my bike than the bike next to mine, so nothing fancy is required, but it should be obvious, hence the chain method. Any other ideas ?

Chain is good. Disc lock is better.

Alarms are pretty cheap here too.

Helps if your bike doesn't stand out but if you get one of the new bikes supposedly out soon then that can't be helped.

A friend of mine had a hidden switch on his bike that meant it couldn't be started even if the ignition was turned on. Useful against the 'screwdriver' thieves but not the ones who heave it into the back of a van.

I brought one of those long, heavy armored cable chains with the invincible lock, brand name Kryptonite, to Thailand. I used to use if only when I was going away for several days. Now that the bike is well beyond stealable category, I never use it.

My partner swapped bikes with his sister (who works in a hospital that was having employees' bikes stolen from the car park) for a month, but then she wanted to ride her new Wave. I see Thais using cheap locks, but those are easily cut.

While I don't know what type of bike you have, I believe that you're along the correct path of thinking. You're best bet is just to increase the time that it would take for them to steal it. Of course, if you're driving a bike that will fetch more money on the black market, you're going to have to do more to protect it.

I simply put a Thai sourced long shackle (I think that's what the hooped part is called) padlock in my rear disk. That way it dangles down and a potential thief is discouraged. However, if they are deadset on stealing a yellow CBR 150R that day, that padlock won't stop them. Simply picking it up and throwing it in the back of a truck nets them the bike. If you're driving a Harley, I doubt that they would try that (unless there's a gaggle of them).

Some would say that you should have a proper disc lock. I question that thinking. Not only is the cost so much more, if they're going to toss the whole bike in the back of a truck, what's a real disc lock going to do for you? And I'm not terribly worried about them cutting the lock.......they'd look kinda foolish rolling down the road with a pair of bolt cutters!

I don't think a chain is an option either. You have to find storage space for it whilst travelling, and than when you arrive, you either have to thread it though your wheels (which isn't any better than simply putting a (psuedo-)disc lock on the bike) or try to find something to secure it to.

Up where I live it is just taking the key out (if I remember)
That's all I ever do now. Sometimes, I forget to use that fancy Honda lock the new bikes have, or forget to turn the key all the way in the lock. In fact, I still forget sometimes and come back and find the bike with its bright pink key still sitting there. There's not much demand for five year old CBR150R's. And there has never been a helmet theft for us.

Hi :o

My bike is old, two-stroke, heavily modified, has a bent frame and has never been washed. Nobody bothers stealing it :D But it's more reliable than many brand new ones (which thieves don't know).

But i DID get a helmet stolen off it - in front of the post office while i was standing no 5 meters away. It was a 1.200-Baht helmet brand "Index".

Best regards.....

Thanh

You might consider buying a helmet lock, or a helmet which anchors to the bike without having the strap easily cut with a knife.

That's the truth. My HJC helmet has the rings on the left side, which is quite short. Thus, when I hook it up under the pillion, they'd have to really work it to get to a point where they could cut the strap.

• 1 year later...

My wife's Honda Wave 125 had a lock and chain, a hidden switch under the seat and when parked she put her helmet in the box we had fitted on the back.

Sadly it did not stop two **** Thais on a bike riding up next to her in the early hours of the morning, telling her to stop her bike and when she ignored them they tore out her ignition key and then kicked her bike over with her still on it :)

My wife was 'lucky' she ran off unhurt, but they stole the bike and her personal belongings, mobile phone etc..., in the box on the back.

I am in the process of buying her a new bike, which she says she does not ever want to ride again as she is too scared.

I will change her mind - there is no way these **** will stop her riding a bike if I have anything to do with it.

However, although I think she did the right thing by running off - could I get an alarm fitted that she could activate as she runs off, or maybe a key restraint so they cannot rip out the key?

Trouble is, I reckon them getting the bike is better than her 'defending' the bike and them 'getting' her instead!!!

Would some insurance just be better.

Would it be better to buy a bike that is not so 'popular' ie: the Honda Wave 125, is very popular and easy to break up and sell. Perhaps a Yamaha Fino - bright pink would be a better buy as it would be more noticeable if stolen and ridden off by 2 Thai lads.

I wont buy a second hand bike that would not be stolen as its resale value would be low. I just cannot be bothered with the potential repairs associated with older bikes that may or may not have been well maintained.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by dsfbrit

Go with a quaility disc lock, not a padlock. You can't cut a disc lock off with bold cutters, due to it's design. Xena disc locks also have motion alarms, that are LOUD.

Here's how I lock my bike when at home. I bought about 2 meters of the heaviest chain I could find at HomePro and the heaviest padlock they had. Later I bought some fabric at a local Market and had the seamstress across the street from me sew it into a 3 meter tube to fit over the chain and protect my wheel. Total cost about 800 baht.

cimg3806.jpg

I also put a Xena disc lock on my front disc. It's expensive, but well worth it. It has a motion alarm, which also keeps the Thais in my building from climbing on my bike all the time. The first week I had it it was going off all the time, but pretty soon everyone in the building quit messing with my bike.

cimg3807z.jpg

It would be better to put the disc lock on the rear wheel if possible. I can't on my bike.

The chain and disc lock help me sleep a little better at night, but they are too heavy and bulky to carry around riding, so I have a smaller, cheaper Xena lock that I carry around with me when riding. It's much lighter and fits in my pocket or under the seat. It has a motion alarm too.

cimg3809c.jpg

What ever you do, don't forget you have a lock on the disc and try to drive off. You will seriously mess up your bike. Tie a piece of string to your handlebars or on your keys to remind you to take it off.

Greetings

For an expenisve bike, is it possible to install a "hidden" GPS onto the bike so that, if stolen, its movement around BKK can be tracked ?

Yes, there are several companies that offer that service, but unfortunately all require a monthly fee. If you find one that doesn't, let me know!

There is one "free" GPS system in Thailand, I'll find the details for you when I get home, you buy it and it keeps logging you on a map, obviously the fee from the cellphone part still is required though. Also note if your better half figures it out you might be in deep shit as she will always know where your bike is and your nearby location so it's not for me...

Here is a system I find easy to remember

C heck your bike is securely on it's stand and steering is locked

U nload baggage

N ote where you parked the bike

T ake key out of ignition and put it in your pocket

S ecure bike with additional lock

Good lock, or shortened Glock :)

Edited by Bard

Go with a quaility disc lock, not a padlock. You can't cut a disc lock off with bold cutters, due to it's design. Xena disc locks also have motion alarms, that are LOUD.

Here's how I lock my bike when at home. I bought about 2 meters of the heaviest chain I could find at HomePro and the heaviest padlock they had. Later I bought some fabric at a local Market and had the seamstress across the street from me sew it into a 3 meter tube to fit over the chain and protect my wheel. Total cost about 800 baht.

cimg3806.jpg

I also put a Xena disc lock on my front disc. It's expensive, but well worth it. It has a motion alarm, which also keeps the Thais in my building from climbing on my bike all the time. The first week I had it it was going off all the time, but pretty soon everyone in the building quit messing with my bike.

cimg3807z.jpg

It would be better to put the disc lock on the rear wheel if possible. I can't on my bike.

The chain and disc lock help me sleep a little better at night, but they are too heavy and bulky to carry around riding, so I have a smaller, cheaper Xena lock that I carry around with me when riding. It's much lighter and fits in my pocket or under the seat. It has a motion alarm too.

cimg3809c.jpg

What ever you do, don't forget you have a lock on the disc and try to drive off. You will seriously mess up your bike. Tie a piece of string to your handlebars or on your keys to remind you to take it off.

So where do you get those disc locks and how much are they? Anyone know where to find them in Chiang Mai? I think the alarm part is more effective than the actual disc lock although it looks well made. Most times I think the bike just gets picked up and put in the back of a truck anyways so the alarm is the only thing that will scare them away from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ride a Ducati 998S and I had a DataTool Cat1 alarm installed in the UK before I brought the bike to Thailand,I also use a Oxford harden disc lock,so far so good no problems.At home I also use a Oxford harden chain and harden padlock ,you need a angle grinder to cut through these locks. When I go out I do not park the bike in remote desert places and I do not leave the bike unattended for long periods of time.I can only make it difficult if the really want to nick my Ducati the bastards will find some way around it.I wont live in fear I will carry on riding my bike.

Take care Ride safe

cimg3806.jpg

cimg3807z.jpg

cimg3809c.jpg

So where do you get those disc locks and how much are they? Anyone know where to find them in Chiang Mai? I think the alarm part is more effective than the actual disc lock although it looks well made. Most times I think the bike just gets picked up and put in the back of a truck anyways so the alarm is the only thing that will scare them away from it.

Good point to remember,I use a home made plug (Bun) which I have painted in red this fitting goes on to the ignition hold,so before I put the key this reminds me to unlock/remove the disc lock.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Where can I find one of these Xena (motion sensor ) disc locks, and what should one expect to pay . I checked Red Barron, however did not see. Looking for local, downtown Bangkok. I am going to check Paddok today as it is very close to me, however i do not recall them ever having.

Thnx

He's big, muscled, black, and has fangs. :) His name is Killer.

And, he loves sleeping right next to the motorcycle...

Home: padlock & chain through the wheels of both my "big" bikes. 30KG pitbull sleeps next to them at night and a 12 gauge pumper in the bedroom for those "awkward" moments :D

Outside: Solex padlock and decent quality chain through the frame preferably to something solid. Otherwise to the front wheel.

I don't think anyone would even be remotely stupid enough to try to take a bike from my house but a bunch of f*ckwits and a van/pickup is hard to defeat.

P8200018-1.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi All,

Where can I find one of these Xena (motion sensor ) disc locks, and what should one expect to pay . I checked Red Barron, however did not see. Looking for local, downtown Bangkok. I am going to check Paddok today as it is very close to me, however i do not recall them ever having.

Thnx

Red Baron stocks Xena alarms- about 1400 Baht.

Another shop that has 'em is Panda Rider.

Never seen 'em at Paddock.

Happy Trails!

Tony