Marrying A Thai

Hi

Next month i am getting married to a thai national. At present i am working in russia for 28 days then travelling to thailand for 24/25 days.

How do i apply for a marriage visa, can i do this in Thailand or do i need to leave the country and what documents will i need?

Also, my partners daughter lives with us and my partner wants me to become her legal gardian. My partners ex husband was killed in a car crash so her daughter has not got a father.

What is the adoption process in thailand?

If anybody could help please.

CHEERS

Hi

Next month i am getting married to a thai national. At present i am working in russia for 28 days then travelling to thailand for 24/25 days.

How do i apply for a marriage visa, can i do this in Thailand or do i need to leave the country and what documents will i need?

Also, my partners daughter lives with us and my partner wants me to become her legal gardian. My partners ex husband was killed in a car crash so her daughter has not got a father.

What is the adoption process in thailand?

If anybody could help please.

CHEERS

No such thing as a marriage visa.

You will be able to apply for.

1 A Non Immigrant single entry Visa that will give you a stay of 90 days.

2.A Non Immigrant Multi Entry that will give you multi entries of up to 90 days. This lasts for a year.

These 2 Visas are obtained from an Embassy or Consulate outside Thailand. The Multi Entry is not so easy to obtain but is possible at certain consulates. Hull in England being one.

3. Either of the above can be extended to a years permission to stay if you have a family income of at least 40,,000 Baht a month. You can do this every year from inside Thailand.

I believe adoption is a long process involving a lot of paperwork.

Hello,

I'm a similar boat here. I have been using tourist visas; however, I would like to obtain the non-imm, multi-entry based on marriage. I saw the Penang visa run package on the website. Is Penang a place where I would be able to fly down and apply for the non-imm, multi-entry? What documents?

Thai Marriage Certificate

?

?

?

I work outside Thailand so would I need bank statements showing savings/investments plus direct deposit? Or do I need to take it to the embassy and have them certify some additional paperwork?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me. I'm currently reading through the other forums at the moment.

Regards,

Adam

Penang and KL may or may not issue, it is a bit hit and miss.

Only thing we know for sure is that Singapore will issue if you have 400,000 Baht in a bank anywhere in the world.

Take Bank book , Bank Statement, Marriage Cert. Wifes ID Card and house registration. A letter from your Wife inviting you to stay with her might help.

There have been reports of success in Penang and KL, But also some failures.

Thanx Lite Beer! I was trying to piece the info together among different nationalites, marriage/tourist/retirement requirements, etc. I was at least another cup of coffee away from effectively piecing my particular info packet together, lol. There is a lot of great information on here and sometimes I happen to get lost on a thread....

Thanx again

Many thanks to all who helped.

I am currently only renting a property in Phuket. Is rental documents ok for housing documents.

My partner does own property in her home town but land ownership papers still need to be signed over to her. Would i be best to wait until this is done?

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!

Hi Jonb

I believe he is reffering to the family house registration book. Not to do with property but with family registration. Your wife will need to go to her home district most likely and record her new last name once married and get her new ID card. My wife has a blue book and it has all the members of the family in it with address, etc. Not House Property Titles but Family members a great little geneaology tool for the Thais.

Regards,

Adam

There is no requirement for wife to own any property. What is required is the home register (blue book) that she is included on (which is likely her parents). Every Thai has to be listed on such a document and it is second only to ID card as the most important document for any government action.

Well, times change.

I got married to a my Thai Wife in 1984. I was in bangkok at that time on a Tourist Visa. After the marriage I took all my wedding photos and papers to the marriage registration office in Bangkok and got my Somlot papers.

Well, that was then - this is now !!!!!

I got married on the standard 30 day exemption. Assuming you're not Russian, and are also from a country that gets the 30 day exemption, if you're only going to be in Thailand for 24-25 days at a time, that should suffice.

As for getting married, you'll need a letter from your embassy stating that you are free to marry, but to be honest, any of the translation services around the embassy can greatly help. (You'll need them for certified translations anyway, and they know all the paperwork and steps required. and generally speak Thai and English)

Your spouse will just need her ID card and tabien baan (if never married)

If either of you have been married before then divorce or death certificates are probably required.

In my case I did the whole embassy, amphur, MFA, embassy (for visa application) in one day. Then did the ceremony the next day. (Didn't actually realise until a few years later that we were actually legally married when we left the amphur and that the wedding ceremony and reception were just for show).

Cheers Bkk_mike for the advice. I am not Russian, from the UK just unfortunate to be working in Russia.

I have already done the embassy thing and translation and all the stamps etc.

You say doing 24/25 days at a time will be ok, but a friend of mine at work who lives in Bangkok was stopped at immigration and told that he would go over the 90 days as it was a rolling 6 months and he only got a 16 day stamp. I have never had that problem at Phuket but don't want to turn up at get refused.

There seems to be some confusion on this 90 days every 6 months and nobody seems to be able to give a 100% clear answer.

I have read the posts regarding this and everyone seems to think its a fixed 6 months, so why did my friend get stopped?

Thanks

Cheers Bkk_mike for the advice. I am not Russian, from the UK just unfortunate to be working in Russia.

I have already done the embassy thing and translation and all the stamps etc.

You say doing 24/25 days at a time will be ok, but a friend of mine at work who lives in Bangkok was stopped at immigration and told that he would go over the 90 days as it was a rolling 6 months and he only got a 16 day stamp. I have never had that problem at Phuket but don't want to turn up at get refused.

There seems to be some confusion on this 90 days every 6 months and nobody seems to be able to give a 100% clear answer.

I have read the posts regarding this and everyone seems to think its a fixed 6 months, so why did my friend get stopped?

Thanks

Once you're married, getting a multi-entry non-O is easy enough (next time you're back in the UK anyway - not sure about in Russia). Basically the wedding certificate and registration and a copy of the wife's ID card, and the fee. Issued in a couple of days.

Then no worries, you get stamped for 90 days on arrival, and no limit on the total number of days.

(You need the wedding certificate and registration so often - we actually had one copy of each laminated.)

The biggest issue is the visas are only issued for one year at a time. (Why? - no idea. I'm sure it would be relatively straightforward to have the visa be revoked in the event of a divorce, so no idea why they don't issue multi-year visas...)