How To Best Spend My 18 Days In Vietnam

Stekmer

Hullo and thank you in advance.

I am visiting Vietnam for 18 days in early / mid October this year and would really appreciate any suggestions about how to allocate my time between the South, Centre and North.

At the moment I am flying into Siagon (from KL) and out of Ha Noi. I am thinking perhaps 4 or 5 days in Siagon (Chu Chi tunnels. Mekong tour, city walk) and then flying to Da Nang to get down to Hoi An for a couple of days and then back to Da Nang for a couple of days and then a train to Hue to fly to Ha Noi. Perhaps 2 days in Ha Noi with an overnight boat trip to Ha Long Bay and another day at leisure in Ha Noi before flying to Bangkok.

Any comments most welcomed.

Am I allowing too much time in Siagon?

Is there somewhere that is a ‘must see’ that I should include?

Any recommended hotels that are downtown in any of the above places in the US$30 to US$45 range?

Any recommendations for travel agents to look for (or avoid)?

Are Pacific Airlines OK or should I wait and take pot luck on getting flights with Vietnam Airlines?

Thanks in advance

Stekmer :o

Hullo and thank you in advance.

I am visiting Vietnam for 18 days in early / mid October this year and would really appreciate any suggestions about how to allocate my time between the South, Centre and North.

At the moment I am flying into Siagon (from KL) and out of Ha Noi. I am thinking perhaps 4 or 5 days in Siagon (Chu Chi tunnels. Mekong tour, city walk) and then flying to Da Nang to get down to Hoi An for a couple of days and then back to Da Nang for a couple of days and then a train to Hue to fly to Ha Noi. Perhaps 2 days in Ha Noi with an overnight boat trip to Ha Long Bay and another day at leisure in Ha Noi before flying to Bangkok.

Any comments most welcomed.

Am I allowing too much time in Siagon?

Is there somewhere that is a 'must see' that I should include?

Any recommended hotels that are downtown in any of the above places in the US$30 to US$45 range?

Any recommendations for travel agents to look for (or avoid)?

Are Pacific Airlines OK or should I wait and take pot luck on getting flights with Vietnam Airlines?

Thanks in advance

:D I would schedule a couple of days in Vung Tau, I hear there is a hydrofoil run from Ho Chi Minh to Vung Tau now. It's not the best time of the year...October might be rainy/windy...but Vung Tau used to have good beaches and some very good seafood restaurants on the sea. I understand it has become much more deserted but still is a nice resort town.

Stekmer,

18 days is on the longish side, but at least you will have plenty of time to do just about anything you want.

What interests you? What do you want to accomplish to make your trip a success?

4-5 days in SGN is not so much, especially if you want to do the city, CuChi, and Mekong tours.

Must see? Depends on your answer to the above. I would say Halong Bay is a must see. Then it depends on what interests you?

Hotels in SGN & HAN are now pretty much at capacity, and prices have more or less doubled since last year. You should be able to find a nice Vietnamese private hotel in your price range.

Saigon Tourist is the largest, and state owned. You can check them out on the web, and they should do allright by you.

As said before, Vietnam Airlines better in my opinion, but Pacific will get you where you want to go.

Would definitely plan things out, as your trip seems quite long. They have very reasonable tours, which is probably the most affordable way to go.

PS- Oct is the end of rainy season, and imagine things will be cooling off in the north.

I would recommend Nha Trang over Vung Tao or Danang. That's where the Viets recommend, and for good reason.

At Nha Trang: Spectacular beaches, friendly locals, good prices, and good food. Nha Trang Lodge, right on the ocean with spectacular views (about 20-story hotel) only about $50 a night including a good buffet breakfast. Side trips to Monkey Island and nearby beautiful temples makes for great day trips.

About 8 hours (by bus) north of Saigon. The trip itself is great as it follows much of the coastline--take it in the daytime.

In Hanoi,

You could always visit the 'Hanoi Hilton.' Part of the prison thats left where American pilots were kept. And theres always the trip to visit Uncle Ho, (thats if he's not back in Russia having a few touch ups)

A great eatery is the Emperor, 18b Le Thanh Tong Street, good Vietnamese food and a great restaurant.

Thanks for all the comments - most appreciated.

Has anyone used a 'Visa on Arrival' service from any Travel Co. based in Siagon?

It sounds convienient but I'm worried about the waiting time to complete the process on arrival at the airport.

The usual price seems to be US$25 + US$25 again at the airport.

We arrive in Saigon at 1830 hrs (AirAsia) so I'm trying to weigh up the relative beneits of paying A$70 plus registered post etc to get a visa in Australia v's the cheaper cost and waiting time of the 'Visa on Arrival'

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply SoCal

My interests, or what I want to accomplish for this trip, is to try and get a sense of the history and where Vietnam, sits in relation to it's neighbours in a commercial, social and political sort of way (nothing academic). I enjoyed my visit to Phnom Phen last month, mainly because the sense of local commerce seemed to exceeded the dependence on tourism and it still had a 'wow factor', for me anyway.

I'd like to try to catch a glimpse of local life, away from a main centre (but not too far to be difficult to access) in places that don't rely heavily on tourism for their survival.

Thanks again

Stekmer

Stekmer,

Have used visa on arrival several times for myself, and also business associates. There is no real issue here, and a good way to go. At the old airport you had to go to the area on your far right, fill out an application, give photos and money, and also provide the permission letter for visa on arrival. They would then give you your visa, and you proceed to any of the normal immigration ques. Unsure about the new terminal, but sure it is relatively the same process.

Make sure to have the letter ready to present to the airline before leaving, as you will have to show it in lieu of visa.

Stekmer,

If you want to get a good taste of Vietnam, then the best way is to move tip to tip, and cover most the places you have mentioned already.

You should consider the train if cost is any issue. Also as mentioned previously consider taking a tour, as they have many options tailored to different desires (beach/hills), which give you a good broad overview at very little expense.

Enjoy your trip.

Make sure to have the letter ready to present to the airline before leaving, as you will have to show it in lieu of visa.

I would also carry a spare copy of the letter to give the airline staff at check in if asked. PB Air wanted a copy and having the spare avoided a wait while they went to find a copier.

Personally though, if you have time, I'd get the visa before you go. Although it, VOA, is no hassle it can involve a fair old timewaste filling in the form and hanging around for them to process the thing and attach the visa to your passport especially if there are a few people doing the same. Vietnamese bureaucracy makes Thailand's look positively fast track.

I've always stayed at the Hai Long Hotel in District 1, when in Saigon.

Hai Long Hotel

47a Nguyen Trai Street

District 1

HCM City

www.hailonghotel.com

The rooms are clean and for $25USD a night, is good value.

Currently its undergoing renovations, but only during the day.

Each room has a double bed, fridge, wardrobe, small table and chair, etc, air conditioning and with a wall fan. Also seperate bathroom.

The hotel also has a lift, which many dont.

The young girl who is the receptionist is fluent in english and has a sound knowledge of the city from the best markets to the best dentist.

I was told those tunnels are not suitable for us tall western men to go climbing into.

Thanks for the reply SoCal

My interests, or what I want to accomplish for this trip, is to try and get a sense of the history and where Vietnam, sits in relation to it's neighbours in a commercial, social and political sort of way (nothing academic). I enjoyed my visit to Phnom Phen last month, mainly because the sense of local commerce seemed to exceeded the dependence on tourism and it still had a 'wow factor', for me anyway.

I'd like to try to catch a glimpse of local life, away from a main centre (but not too far to be difficult to access) in places that don't rely heavily on tourism for their survival.

Thanks again

Stekmer

I think you're trying to do too much. I'd spend a few days in the south, then go to Hanoi. Yes, go around Howlong Bay -maybe 2 days, but its touristy. Go north via overnight train to Sapa. Its cooler, less travelled and you get a better sense of the history here. Many hilltribes, treks etc .

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
I was told those tunnels are not suitable for us tall western men to go climbing into.

Cu Chi tunnels were a disappointment when I visited in 2002. I am not large - 1m80 and 90 kilos - but I was too large to do any real viewing. And Cu Chi is a long trip from SGN.

Train has been suggested and is a good idea - as are bus trips. Inflatable cushions and lunch-boxes are also a good idea if you follow this method.

You have plenty of time to indulge in these forms of transport, which will bring you a better contact with the local population - most of whom have some knowledge of English. Maybe you won't think it's English, but they are convinced of it!

I am working in the very South, not worth a visit. But in October you will feel the temperature drop as you go North, so take some sort of warm jumper for each of you.