I Found A Rusty 10 Baht Coin In My Garden

traveller5000

Suprised to find a rusty 10 baht coin in my garden today, should I pocket it or is that stealing ?

Quite sure it is not mine because its old and I recently moved in. Doubt the real owner will claim it. What should I do with it ?

To preempt any silly comments, for those who will say its just ten baht so get over it, its the buddhist principle behind it im interested in knowing about.

I would think that you own the coin since it's your house, your property. Now, what to do with it. If I were you I would put the coin in a donation box, let's say for children. Before doing that, pray that people who benefit from this 10-baht coin would have a better opportunity and a better life, and that this better opportunity and better life brought to the people who benefit from it, would make the real owner of the coin happy and healthy. It's not how much you put in the box, it's the thoughts that count.

Edited by jayhech

Suprised to find a rusty 10 baht coin in my garden today, should I pocket it or is that stealing ?

Quite sure it is not mine because its old and I recently moved in. Doubt the real owner will claim it. What should I do with it ?

To preempt any silly comments, for those who will say its just ten baht so get over it, its the buddhist principle behind it im interested in knowing about.

i suggest you place full-page ads in "Bangkok Post" and "Nation" and perhaps in the international edition of the "Financial Times".

If it's your house it's your coin, if you concerned at all about it just leave it there. If you want to discuss "not taking that which is not given" you'll need a better example than this.

rather than silly comments, yer question deserves another question in return.

1 - what if it was 1000 baht note?

2 - what if it was a suitcase with 10 million baht?

answer those questions correctly and tell us why and you will have yer answers

It was not lost in your garden. It was placed there as a blessing. Do you have trees in your garden? I found a 10-baht coin in my garden next to the base of my mango tree. I, too, removed it, but kept it because it was an old-style coin. A week later the tree fell over and nearly crushed my motorcycle. If I were you, I would put it back where you found it, as I have since done.

It was not lost in your garden. It was placed there as a blessing. Do you have trees in your garden? I found a 10-baht coin in my garden next to the base of my mango tree. I, too, removed it, but kept it because it was an old-style coin. A week later the tree fell over and nearly crushed my motorcycle. If I were you, I would put it back where you found it, as I have since done.

You serious?

I think its good advice about putting it back. I might try and think of it as a blessing, to counter the feeling of lost fortune.

You serious?

I think its good advice about putting it back. I might try and think of it as a blessing, to counter the feeling of lost fortune.

Unless you found it on the lawn, you don't want your gardener billing you for a damaged lawnmower.

It was in the pot plant.

In a potted plant? Then it was definitely placed there intentionally to ensure a long and productive life for the plant.

You serious?

Unless you found it on the lawn, you don't want your gardener billing you for a damaged lawnmower.

It was in the pot plant.

In a potted plant? Then it was definitely placed there intentionally to ensure a long and productive life for the plant.

I never heard such nonsense before in my life.

Its not my house or my coin, and it was not given to me.

If you follow this logic then the water in the taps is not your water, nor the lightbubs in the sockets etc etc.

I don't understand why this example does not meet you discussion requirements.

It's really rather trivial don't you think.

Wheras the precept of not taking that which is not given surely presents some more interesting dilemmas.

You serious?

It was in the pot plant.

Welcome to Thailand. :o

i suggest you place full-page ads in "Bangkok Post" and "Nation" and perhaps in the international edition of the "Financial Times".

Good idea.

[quote name='traveller5000' post='1937079'

It's a little known fact that centuries ago Thai scientists discovered that the soils of Thailand lacked certain metallic trace elements for optimum plant growth, they found that the insertion of a simple rusty coin in a pot restored the balance of the soil and improved the wellbeing of the plant. In fact the two coloured 10 baht coin we know today produces a unique blend of nutrients is the end product of years of testing.

I found 30 baht in my garden last week. You want to pool resources and share a bottle of Leo?

The precepts, in this case the one refraining from taking that which dosn't belong to you, are there as a guide. Breaking a precept is not a sin, it simply makes it harder for you to find happiness. The precept that really encompasses all others is to refrain doing something which harms, causes pain and suffering, or disturbs. Will your keeping the coin cause suffering to others (or to you)? If yes then avoid doing it. If no then there is no problem keeping it. (If keeping the coin causes you to feel guilty then it has caused you to suffer, and because of this you should get rid of it.) But then comes the question of attachment. Have you become attached to this coin? If yes then maybe you should do something beneficial with it and give it away. If no then don't worry about it, and just put it in your pocket. This is why self knowledge is so important in Buddhism. This kind of analysis works whether it is a 10 baht coin or if you find a million baht. It is probably a lot easier to quickly become attached to the found million baht though which is why Jesus said that it was harder for a rich man to get to heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

The precepts, in this case the one refraining from taking that which dosn't belong to you, are there as a guide. Breaking a precept is not a sin, it simply makes it harder for you to find happiness. The precept that really encompasses all others is to refrain doing something which harms, causes pain and suffering, or disturbs. Will your keeping the coin cause suffering to others (or to you)? If yes then avoid doing it. If no then there is no problem keeping it. (If keeping the coin causes you to feel guilty then it has caused you to suffer, and because of this you should get rid of it.) But then comes the question of attachment. Have you become attached to this coin? If yes then maybe you should do something beneficial with it and give it away. If no then don't worry about it, and just put it in your pocket. This is why self knowledge is so important in Buddhism. This kind of analysis works whether it is a 10 baht coin or if you find a million baht. It is probably a lot easier to quickly become attached to the found million baht though which is why Jesus said that it was harder for a rich man to get to heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

which is an idiotic misinterpretation/translation committed over nearly two-thousand years in a zillion versions of the holy book Bible.

Jerusalem's city wall had various gates. one of them was rather small and was called "needle eye". for camels there was hardly any way to pass through, except on their knees.

The precepts, in this case the one refraining from taking that which dosn't belong to you, are there as a guide. Breaking a precept is not a sin, it simply makes it harder for you to find happiness. The precept that really encompasses all others is to refrain doing something which harms, causes pain and suffering, or disturbs. Will your keeping the coin cause suffering to others (or to you)? If yes then avoid doing it. If no then there is no problem keeping it. (If keeping the coin causes you to feel guilty then it has caused you to suffer, and because of this you should get rid of it.) But then comes the question of attachment. Have you become attached to this coin? If yes then maybe you should do something beneficial with it and give it away. If no then don't worry about it, and just put it in your pocket. This is why self knowledge is so important in Buddhism. This kind of analysis works whether it is a 10 baht coin or if you find a million baht.

Well put!

which is an idiotic misinterpretation/translation committed over nearly two-thousand years in a zillion versions of the holy book Bible.

Jerusalem's city wall had various gates. one of them was rather small and was called "needle eye". for camels there was hardly any way to pass through, except on their knees.

I disagree with your interpretation Naam. Here are the verses from Matthew 19 vv 24-26 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

So it couldn't be referring to the needle gate as this would be possible for man to acheive! Also the disciples question "Who then can be saved?" It wouldn't make sense if they thought Jesus was referring a gate that was possible but difficult to get through. Also Jesus says "It is easier" not that it's impossible. I think the learning point has to be not to rely or depend on our riches. So it does not exclude the rich from the Kingdom of God! See also Mark 10 vv25-27 and Luke 18 vv 24-27.

PS To those of you who don't like Christian references - I reply to an already made reference.

Here are the verses from Matthew 19 vv 24-26 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God

Suegha, who translated Matthew? from what language into what language? Matthew wrote in Aramaeic. his scripts do not exist anymore. how many translations into different languages (from one to the other and with all the resulting mistakes and misinterpretations) where done? the difference is just one single word "A needle eye" or "THE needle eye" or a different alignment of words "through the needle eye" or "through the eye of a needle". for what it's worth... the official opinion of the catholic church is that Jesus was referring to the gate in Jerusalem.

it would be interesting to discuss this topic over a bottle of good wine but i don't think it's an interesting topic for ThaiVisa :o