American Deli/groceries?

Florin

As a long-time fan of all sorts of yummy American foodstuffs, I wonder, how come there is no real specialized deli/grocery store in Bangkok? Or at least none that I know of?

I have been to specialized Italian, German, British, Australian and French delis, but have yet to see a proper place selling American foodstuffs. It's true that you can get many items in places like Villa or Foodland, but there are quite a few things which I love and can't find, such as: Planter's pretzels (and they did have them here years ago) or Cherry Coke (Villa used to have Dr. Pepper, but never Cherry Coke).

With so many Americans in this country, it seems shocking that no one has opened a specialized deli...Bei Otto is an excellent example of what a proper place can import, you can find some of the German specialties they sell there in other supermarkets, but they also have numerous things which have obviously been imported in tiny quantities and are sold only there.

If there is one already, I wanna know!! If not, perhaps it can be a business idea for all those guys looking to invest their money in the Banking subforum? :o

As a long-time fan of all sorts of yummy American foodstuffs, I wonder, how come there is no real specialized deli/grocery store in Bangkok? Or at least none that I know of?

I have been to specialized Italian, German, British, Australian and French delis, but have yet to see a proper place selling American foodstuffs. It's true that you can get many items in places like Villa or Foodland, but there are quite a few things which I love and can't find, such as: Planter's pretzels (and they did have them here years ago) or Cherry Coke (Villa used to have Dr. Pepper, but never Cherry Coke).

With so many Americans in this country, it seems shocking that no one has opened a specialized deli...Bei Otto is an excellent example of what a proper place can import, you can find some of the German specialties they sell there in other supermarkets, but they also have numerous things which have obviously been imported in tiny quantities and are sold only there.

If there is one already, I wanna know!! If not, perhaps it can be a business idea for all those guys looking to invest their money in the Banking subforum? :D

Hi can you tell me where you found the specialized Italian, French and Australian deli's? I would really like to know :o

Waerth

Never been there myself, but I would've thought Jusmag was the place for American goods?

Italian I don't know the name of, but it's next to the Rioja restaurant in Chitlom, whose map I have attached.

Australian --> http://www.foodglorious-food.com/

French, it's not exactly specialized, but Carrefour has a very wide range of French products, such as imported yoghurt, cheese, foie gras (at least the Rama 4 one)...even Villa doesn't have such a good selection and at least from my point of view (as well as several French friends), there's no particular French item which we would want and not be able to find there.

post-25265-1208758572_thumb.jpg

Never been there myself, but I would've thought Jusmag was the place for American goods?

Is that in the American Embassy? I've heard some rumblings about it also, but what are the chances they would allow anyone to walk in and buy stuff? Also, any idea what they might have? I remember thinking at the time that one shelf of food in an office would not have much in the way of variety.

With so many Americans in this country, it seems shocking that no one has opened a specialized deli...

Ummm, would that be like Subway. Seriously, the best delis I have been to in the U.S. are ethnic delis: Italian, Jewish, German, etc. What exactly would an American deli sell? I think Villa market carries Oscar Meyer. :o

Well, I did say deli/grocery...but I agree, most good delis are ethnic, though if someone can import the concept of New York pizza, why not other such things? When I was in OZ a couple of years ago, it was so nice to be able to get stuff like Junior Mints, Krispy Kreme, etc.

The Americas, the home of the potato and tomato as edible foods, the home of chilies, chocolate, the origin of modern restaurants. The food of Europe and Asia would be nowhere near as good without the Americas. Its true people came from all over the world and brought their food to the Americas, and they mixed it up with the native foods, and other ethnicities food, and created something really special. Fettucine Alfredo is an American, not an Italian dish. The New York deli, is that American or Jewish? It's American of course, where else would you find such a wondrous menu? There are countless other examples. I am sick and tired of people bashing American food culture. Our health care delivery system is the poorest in the developed world, but when it comes to FOOD CULTURE, we are second to none.

Edited by Jingthing

Is that in the American Embassy? I've heard some rumblings about it also, but what are the chances they would allow anyone to walk in and buy stuff? Also, any idea what they might have? I remember thinking at the time that one shelf of food in an office would not have much in the way of variety.

It's not in the embassy, it's somewhere on Sathorn Rd. Unfortunately, it appears to be accessible only to US government personnel.

While I would love to see an "American" store, I would have serious doubts as to its viability.

It's not in the embassy, it's somewhere on Sathorn Rd. Unfortunately, it appears to be accessible only to US government personnel.

While I would love to see an "American" store, I would have serious doubts as to its viability.

I've just called them, but not much English was spoken on the phone...or my request was too weird for anyone to comprehend :o

I would very much appreciate some information about this place...a buddy of mine is a former Marine, would that be enough or do they only allow currently employed/enlisted personnel?

"JUSMAG" or "Joint United States Military Advisory Group" is unlikely to allow civilian access to their PX store.

The OP makes a good point as to why there are no full service American Delicatessens' in Thailand

-I've just called them, but not much English was spoken on the phone...or my request was too weird for anyone to comprehend :D

I would very much appreciate some information about this place...a buddy of mine is a former Marine, would that be enough or do they only allow currently employed/enlisted personnel?

http://www.jusmagthai.com

Says on the website "US Government id" - so "former" probably won't cut it unless he knows people there.

When I first moved here I missed lots of things - today, not much, since you can find Reese's products everywhere now :o Would be nice to have Fritos, though... or USDA prime... or especially Mountain Dew...

It might help if you listed the specific items you have a hankering for? It seems like Foodland has a ton of USA foodstuffs. Occasionally they, and other supermarket chains, have country-specific promotions. I've seen USA-centric promotions at most of the major chains here.

If you're asking about delicatessen items specifically then just go Central World (7th floor) or Paragon for a HUGE variety of deli meats and cheeses.

Well, many of the items I can't find are rather junk foodish, but still, they would be nice to have :o I mentioned above proper pretzels, Cherry Coke, I would also love that American artificial butter popcorn (not the one u need to microwave, the pre-packaged one), etc.

And truth be told, I'm not at all impressed with the selection of stuff in the Paragon and Central World markets, compared to Villa or Foodland they have practically no exotic stuff...

The US Embassy has a commissary (run by ACSA), however it's only available to US Mission ID'd personnel and requires a membership fee (was about $250 for a family about 5 years ago, for the duration of your tour). I know this is going to kill you, but I just saw Cherry Coke there today! :o

Edited by StrongView