Satellite Internet

donx

My Brother-in-law recently bought a new computer. He lives in a small village outside Phatthalung. He said that there are no hi-speed internet services available to him there. I have heard about IPStar Satellite Internet and am wondering if anyone is using it. I'm interested in knowing if it would be available to him and how much it would cost.

Any information regarding hi-speed access in remote locations is appreciated.

IPStar is available throughout Thailand, but it's not cheap, although will supposedly get cheaper when the new monster satellite is launched next year.

CSLoxinfo IPStar

I've got ADSL, so haven't done this myself, but from other posts, I believe you need to get a concrete square laid in the garden for them to mount the dish when they do the installation, and it needs to be able to see southeast and southwest so that it can see the current satellite, and the new one when it's launched. Other than the cost, the only problems are down to it being satellite based. (long latency - not much of an issue for web browsing, but causes a lag for IP telephony, and loss of connection during very bad weather).

IPStar, pretty expensive, slow in responding and down on heavy rain.

But they take care of their product. The 256 KB IPSTar kann beat True 2.5 MBit in Filesharing easily

on receiving several 100 of emails it is slow as there is a lot 2 way communication, but outside it is for sure a good choice.

cheers

Michael

Ref Sat/internet Hi there. I am very much in the same boat with living very rural. At the moment I have fixed line, and works not too bad via TOT1222.

But we move in a few months a no land line. I wold like a dish internet connection, maybe tv too?? The posts did not mention how much?

Any web address please Thanks Pip

I'm on IPstar, its allright, pretty fast for downloads.

Its 3000 bht a month for i think 1500 mb. I've had it for about 4 months now and am on my 3rd satilite box and its very tempramental in bad weather.

They do get out quite quick when there is a prob. I dont have a land line and am in a bit of a mobile phone reception black spot, so dont have much choice.