Looking For Gym/fitness

bamboozled

Relax Land are doing a promotion at the moment. Join up for 3 months and you can use the gym, pool and sauna. I think it includes a personal trainer too. All the machines are brand spanking new, and the place itself is immaculate.

Thanks, Lightstar. Tried to do a search, however no result. can you please let me know where is Relax Land? Somewhere near Chiang Mai Land? thanks!!

Relax Land are doing a promotion at the moment. Join up for 3 months and you can use the gym, pool and sauna. I think it includes a personal trainer too. All the machines are brand spanking new, and the place itself is immaculate.

Thanks, Lightstar. Tried to do a search, however no result. can you please let me know where is Relax Land? Somewhere near Chiang Mai Land? thanks!!

Yeah Lightstar, I'd like to know where Relax land is too. Any chance you could enlighten us? Cheers

I work out at Fitness Thailand and they are very good. They offer many classes (Yoga, Spin, Aerobics, Cardio Kickboxing, etc.) have a great selection of Machines and Free weights, and have many treadmills and cardio machines. They also have a Thai Sauna and Traditional Sauna. Basically anything you can want from a gym (except for Swimming Pool). Here's the website:

www.fitnessthailand.co.th

It's behind ICON Square and If you go there, right when you get off the elevator on the 7th floor on the left hand side they have business cards that allow you a free 3 day membership. Anyway, looking at the website and the Prices they quote are quite laughable. More than double what I paid (I paid 7,000 for 15 months). Regardless, it's all negotiable and every time I go there there seems to be some kind of promotion.... Oh yeah, free motorbike parking and also validation for car parking as well (up to 3 hours).

Relax-Land is just past the Sofitel. Keep left, under an underpass and it's on the left hand side. You can't miss the big 'Relax - Land' sign.

The promotion is - join up for 3 months and pay 890 B a month. That's use of the gym, pool, sauna and steam room. Massages are extra.

The gym doesn't have classes, as far as I know... I think maybe yoga and meditation, but I haven't tried them. It's just machines and some hand weights. But worth checking out.

I wish I could be enthusiastic about FitnessThai. I'm new here and started going to this gym on a three month plan. It was 5000 baht. I could have gotten a year plan as a senior for 6000 baht but chose not to make a full commitment. that would have been a good deal; 5000 for 3 months is more expensive than in the states. This center seems to get very little use and the AC has been "broken" for a month now. There are ,however, a variety of machines, saunas and various classes. I attended two yoga classes and they were taught very well. I am a bit spoiled as I paid less in the US for much better service. The place seems empty to me whenever I go, around noon, and I fear for its demise as I understand there is much competition in CM. The heat has made it very uncomfortable to work out here and I find myself avoiding the gym.

I wish I could be enthusiastic about FitnessThai. I'm new here and started going to this gym on a three month plan. It was 5000 baht. I could have gotten a year plan as a senior for 6000 baht but chose not to make a full commitment. that would have been a good deal; 5000 for 3 months is more expensive than in the states. This center seems to get very little use and the AC has been "broken" for a month now. There are ,however, a variety of machines, saunas and various classes. I attended two yoga classes and they were taught very well. I am a bit spoiled as I paid less in the US for much better service. The place seems empty to me whenever I go, around noon, and I fear for its demise as I understand there is much competition in CM. The heat has made it very uncomfortable to work out here and I find myself avoiding the gym.

I don't know about you, but the fact that it's not crowded in the daytime is HUGE POSITIVE!!! I mean you don't have to wait for a bench, dumbbell, machine, treadmill, etc., basically making it easy to finish your workout in a decent amount of time (reason I go during the day). This cannot be said for the big chains in America where I've worked out at in the past (24 Hour Fitness and World Gym)... Those places are usually too crowded and often takes forever to get onto some of the equipment. Anyway, if you want more people, go there after 6:00pm and most of the classes are full and the gym part is very busy. As for the AC, I think because many people don't go there early in the day, they turn it down and open the windows and utilize the fans. Personally this doesn't bother me a bit, as developing a sweat is part of working out. As for pricing, I agree it could be quite pricey if you pay the full rate. But like you said, you could have gotten a 1 year membership for 6,000 baht (shocked you opted for a 3 month 5,000 baht instead) and I got a 15 month 7,000 baht deal (probably because I've been a member for the previous 2 years), so there are definitely deals to be had and bargaining is must. There may be better places I don't know about, but when I first got here 4 years ago I signed up for the Orchid and tried Hillsides Gym, and they were awful (except for the pool at Orchid).

The swimming pool at the Duang Tawan is very shallow and L shaped so you get lots of children and families playing games and walking around aimlessly without paying attention to people who want to swim laps. Choose the Chiang Mai Orchid or some of the others for much better swimming pools.

There may be better places I don't know about, but when I first got here 4 years ago I signed up for the Orchid and tried Hillsides Gym, and they were awful (except for the pool at Orchid).

The equipment at the Hillside 4 gym may not be the most modern, but they have everything I need and want. I like their pool too. Never a crowd at the gym or pool early in the day. And they run special pricing on their membership on a regular basis. I paid 4,000 baht for my annual membership. The downside? No cute girls.

The swimming pool at the Duang Tawan is very shallow and L shaped so you get lots of children and families playing games and walking around aimlessly without paying attention to people who want to swim laps. Choose the Chiang Mai Orchid or some of the others for much better swimming pools.

That was my experience as well, and apart from my general laziness also the main reason why I cancelled my membership there after one year.