Whats Best Non B Or O

Hi,

I currently have a extension of stay to work in Thailand but i understand that if the job went pear i would be required to leave in 7 days this would be a real pain in the ass as i will be having a baby in 2 months and could not afford to have to do that, so when it comes to renewal i will get either a NON B or O, i have heard that as i am married to a Thai person i can work on a NON O is this correct and if so is their any differences or advantages/disadvantages between the 2 and is there any difference between them and a extension of stay apart from the fact you dont have to leave every 90 days on a Extension of stay..and finally does anybody know where i can get some red leiecster mature cheddar cheese in the Silom area

thanks alot

Interesting, i will be in a similar boat come June and wa not aware that you can work on a Non Imm 'O' I have Non Imm 'B' and work permit of course so i will watch this thread with interest and see what comes up as when i coem to renew i would also maybe get the non imm 'O' if it is easier.

Do you not have to go to the border every 3 months on a NON O???

No, only 90-days reporting at immigration with 1 year extension of stay.

That require you to have a joint income with your wife of 40.000 Baht/month

And I have a couple of friends that have WP+Non-O

I would go with the Non-O and an extension based on marriage. You will need to show a family income of 40K per month. If you lose your job, you do not need to leave Thailand because your extension is based on your marriage, not your employment.

If you went with the Non-B, and then tried to extend based on your job, then your employer would need to meet certain requirements. You would need to make 50K/month. And if you were on an extension of stay based on your job, if you lost your job, you would need to immediatly leave Thailand or apply for a 7 day extension of stay from immigration.

So say for arguments sake i went for a flying visit to the UK it would be better to pick up a NON-O which would then require a 90 day border bounce, after that if i met the 40k per month requirements i could get a extension of stay based on marrige correct???Can the 40k per month be based on salary or different from salary and is there any extra paperwork required if you are working on a O rather than a B based on marrige and finally how many extension of stays are you entilted to?

cheers for help guys

So say for arguments sake i went for a flying visit to the UK it would be better to pick up a NON-O which would then require a 90 day border bounce, after that if i met the 40k per month requirements i could get a extension of stay based on marrige correct???Can the 40k per month be based on salary or different from salary and is there any extra paperwork required if you are working on a O rather than a B based on marrige and finally how many extension of stays are you entilted to?

cheers for help guys

It has to be salary.

If it is yours you would need a letter from the British Embassy certifying you income if from the UK.

If your income was in Thailand you need records of tax payments.

Or it could be your Wifes income. Again she would need Tax payment records.

You can extend this way every year indefinitely.

You said in the OP you already are on an extension of stay for employment. Therefore, you do not need to get a new visa. When your monthly income reaches 40k, simply apply for a new extension but this time write as the reason for the application “to live with my Thai wife”

--

Maestro

You said in the OP you already are on an extension of stay for employment. Therefore, you do not need to get a new visa. When your monthly income reaches 40k, simply apply for a new extension but this time write as the reason for the application "to live with my Thai wife"

--

Maestro

If you re read the original post you wil see why..its all about the fragile nature of my job and the fact im having a baby soon

Maestro is saying that you do not need to go to a consulate and get a new visa. Just get a new extension of stay from immigration based on marriage after you can show 40K/month family income. Then if you lose your job, you would still be able to remain.

2008bankgok, if you have 40k family income now, apply for a marriage extension now. Don’t know if immigration will allow it long before your employment extension expires but no harm in talking to them.

If you stop working before you can change to a marriage extension, Singapore is reportedly a good choice for a multiple-entry non-O visa for a man married to a Thai. They want to see 400k in a bank anywhere in the world. Don’t know about Penang and KL for multiple-entry. Hopefully others will comment on it.

--

Maestro

If Immigration will not let you change right away, one easy way to change within the next 90 days is to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit. That will cancel your current extension. Then get a get a non-O visa from an area consulate based on your marriage. Then near the end of the 90 days, you can apply for an extension of stay based on marriage, showing 40K/month family income. Then if for some reason you lose your job, you would at least be safe until your extension of stay expired.

Of course, I am not sure what that would due to your work permit. I don't think that a work permit is tied to visa, except maybe in the length that it was given. I am sure someone else knows this though.

Sorry maestro, i apologise, thanks for the help on this guys, i think i will go and try the extension of stay based on marrige with the 40k income i just think it would be better for my own piece of mind, i take it it is still okay to work on that and you get re entry permits??

... i take it it is still okay to work on that and you get re entry permits??

Yes, definitely. With an extension of stay based on marriage you can keep your work permit, can continue to get this same type of extension, and can get a re-entry permit before you travel to keep your extension alive.

Best wishes for your application at the immigration office.

--

Maestro

It has to be salary.

If it is yours you would need a letter from the British Embassy certifying you income if from the UK.

I'm 25 and plan to get the non-immigrant "O" before leaving for Thailand. I have a salary over 40k/month so I'm assuming I will be eligible for the extension of stay after the one year multi entry "O" is used up correct? Is there an age requirement on the extension of stay?

Edited by feyser

cheers for help guys

It has to be salary.

I thought that a marriage visa extention:

Does not have to be salary.

It can be retirement income or investment income etc. or almost any type of income. You simply have to document the income: Embassy letter or tax returns etc..

Have the rules changed since last year or have not correctly understood the post - with this hot weather that is always a possibility!

Maestro is saying that you do not need to go to a consulate and get a new visa. Just get a new extension of stay from immigration based on marriage after you can show 40K/month family income. Then if you lose your job, you would still be able to remain.

Not sure if this appropriate but my recent experiemce was fairly straight forward - my Non Imm B multiple had ran out - I am not employed here but as a freelancer I travel and work throuought Asia and get paid into my UK and Thai bank account from overseas commissions - so I dont need a work permit - I was in Melbourne and took my Marriage certificate, Thai wifes House registration, ID photocopy and birth certificate of my baby (not necessary - nor was any proof of earning demanded), and they gave me an 'O' visa without any further question - come back tomorrow and do you want that a multiple entry or 90 day? multiple please says I- very well sir.

I am 50 in July and will after that apply for a marriage visa and I believe I do not have to prove any monthly salary, even though I can - I am going to get my legal boffins to do it as for about GBP100 its worth the time and hassle I save, even though I will have to go with them to immigration of course - but I think it is all pretty straight forward.

You have what is often called a marriage visa now. There is no special visa for marriage. Being age 50 has nothing to do with marriage (family) extensions of stay. They require 40k per month income at age 1 or 100. Being age 50 opens up the retirement category of extensions. That requires 800k in bank account previous three months, 65k monthly income or a combination to make the 800k level.

If you want to do the retirement extension of stay you visit immigration during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry (after July birthday) with proof of money (bank passbook/letter of account balance) or letter from your Embassy of 65k income/pension. Passport/copies, departure card/copy, TM.7 application form with current 4x6cm photo attached (available at immigration or by download) and 1,900 baht for fee. One year extension is available within an hour of application in most cases.

Not sure if this appropriate but my recent experiemce was fairly straight forward - my Non Imm B multiple had ran out - I am not employed here but as a freelancer I travel and work throuought Asia and get paid into my UK and Thai bank account from overseas commissions - so I dont need a work permit - I was in Melbourne and took my Marriage certificate, Thai wifes House registration, ID photocopy and birth certificate of my baby (not necessary - nor was any proof of earning demanded), and they gave me an 'O' visa without any further question - come back tomorrow and do you want that a multiple entry or 90 day? multiple please says I- very well sir.

I am 50 in July and will after that apply for a marriage visa and I believe I do not have to prove any monthly salary, even though I can - I am going to get my legal boffins to do it as for about GBP100 its worth the time and hassle I save, even though I will have to go with them to immigration of course - but I think it is all pretty straight forward.

I am very confused now, as I have definitely been told that income/salary declaration would not be required when i next applied - after July birthday for a 'marriage visa' - this is the best known legal company in Th'nd selling their services and they have a dociument called 'marriage visa' with all the bits and bobs needed for it - certainly the reason for my being allowed the 'O' is because I am married, but this is not the visa that my advisors call the marriage visa - are they trying to just wheedle cash out of me? They took nothing for the advice on the 'O', but will do so when i apply for the so called 'marriage visa' - as they call it. Is there really no such thing as a marriage visa? if so why would they and so many use this term if it did not actually exist?

I would go with the Non-O and an extension based on marriage. You will need to show a family income of 40K per month. If you lose your job, you do not need to leave Thailand because your extension is based on your marriage, not your employment.

If you went with the Non-B, and then tried to extend based on your job, then your employer would need to meet certain requirements. You would need to make 50K/month. And if you were on an extension of stay based on your job, if you lost your job, you would need to immediatly leave Thailand or apply for a 7 day extension of stay from immigration.

great advise! Do we get the extention at the same time as the visa or only when it has expired? My non o has expired so i will have to start all over i think. Or can we get an extention on an expired visa?

I am very confused now, as I have definitely been told that income/salary declaration would not be required when i next applied - after July birthday for a 'marriage visa' - this is the best known legal company in Th'nd selling their services and they have a dociument called 'marriage visa' with all the bits and bobs needed for it - certainly the reason for my being allowed the 'O' is because I am married, but this is not the visa that my advisors call the marriage visa - are they trying to just wheedle cash out of me? They took nothing for the advice on the 'O', but will do so when i apply for the so called 'marriage visa' - as they call it. Is there really no such thing as a marriage visa? if so why would they and so many use this term if it did not actually exist?

Peter,

Perhaps you received some other type of visa and are now getting a "marriage visa" which is just an informal term.

To get the marriage visa you often do not need to show any source of income at least I did not have to in America. However, you will certainly need to show a source of income to extend it at one year intervals. Typically these start after 90 days.

I am not sure what advantage there is to using a law firm as the whole process is very simple although if your time is in short supply perhaps by signing a power of attorney they can make appearances for you - perhaps.....

In any event you should ask them exactly what they will do for you. Please post the details after you talk to the law firm again.

Again - there is no such thing as a marriage visa. The non immigrant O visa as you have is often issued to visit a wife and does not normally require financial proof. The multi entry may require financial proof if issued in the immediate area. In either case you can not stay longer than 90 days per visit.

There is an extension of stay available from Immigration as I covered in my previous post - that requires proof of financial means be it issued for "family" or "retirement".

Hi there,

I'm gonna read between the lines and possibly be incorrect....

1. You turn 50 in July

2. You previously showed birth cert of baby at Thai consulate in melbourne (Iwill assume that your child was born in thailand and a joint effort of both your wife and yourself, otherwise you probably wouldn't have included this info)

3. You have been told that when you turn 50 you will have no requiremnt to show income.

using the above "stated" facts it just may be possible that the "legal boffins" have advised you to apply for a non O visa and then apply for an extension based on being a parent (actual parent and not by marrage) of a Thai child. In this circumstance you will not be required to show any income. This particular clause came into effect a couple of years back in late 2006 when there was massive changes to the visa rules/processes and appears to be one of the real positives that has come out of it all............mind you, in saying that, i have advised a few 50 plus expats who have "thai" chidren of thier own, to try this path as it makes the most sense and they have reported back extreme difficulties on having this approved.

On previous posts others have mentioned thay have had difficulties also and Thai Visa's main sponser, Sunbelt Asia, has reported that they have had success in every instance of applying for this type of visa (Foriegn parent(50 years +) of thai child/children)...........so my advice to you would be to contact Sunbelt and use their services, which are reasonably priced for the product received......they also have some nice looking young ladies at the counter!

I'd also like to add this regarding the "Marriage Visa" issue.

So many posts refer to a "marriage visa" and so many replies state that there is no such thing as a "marriage visa"

Technically,the latter is correct.

But there is many situations which these can be interpreted as a marriage visa....please remember that in these forums we are translating into english.....

........the reason i mention this is that this year when i went to pick up my extension after the obligatory one month, i was handed my passport by an actual immigration officer, as opposed to the work experience uni students that are always doing a lot of the menail work at immigration offices, and the officer, whom i have dealt with for many years, said to me (in English), "here you are sir, your marriage visa for another year"..............................so even Thai immigration officers can be found referring to this visa as a "marriage visa".....maybe because that is exactly what it is!

I'd also like to say thank you for all the excellent advice that is always offered by the likes of Lopburi3 and maestro and all the others. :o Top effort guys.

Didn't notice the birth certificate in the text but yes that is probably what is being talked about - nothing to do with marriage or retirement. It is the new provision 7.17 of Police Order 606/2006 that is designed to allow those of old age (over 50) to spend there twilight years living with there children. It seems to be approved more often recently but for young children that may be some legal hoops but normally not a problem if mother agrees I believe. You are required to live with child but there is no financial required and no marriage requirement.