New Thai Language Test For Pr - Oral Exam By Committee

This year (December 2007 applicants) are not taking the multiple choice written test.

You are called into a very large room. Six people are sat on the opposite side of a huge conference table. The Woman Police Inspector who did the first interview, a man in civvies and four Police Generals.

It is a full-on machine gun attack of questions, changing topic regularly. I was asked if I was married, registered, when, what date, if I had children. When learning that I was married for one year with a 19 year old daughter, they wanted me to explain. As I explained (first marriage of course), they started interrupting me with different questions about my family. If I remember correctly, they score for your understanding, speaking, usefulness to Thai society, health (Do you have any diseases?).

If you can't speak good conversational Thai then I would not expect to see a high score for this part of the PR application.

This year (December 2007 applicants) are not taking the multiple choice written test.

You are called into a very large room. Six people are sat on the opposite side of a huge conference table. The Woman Police Inspector who did the first interview, a man in civvies and four Police Generals.

It is a full-on machine gun attack of questions, changing topic regularly. I was asked if I was married, registered, when, what date, if I had children. When learning that I was married for one year with a 19 year old daughter, they wanted me to explain. As I explained (first marriage of course), they started interrupting me with different questions about my family. If I remember correctly, they score for your understanding, speaking, usefulness to Thai society, health (Do you have any diseases?).

If you can't speak good conversational Thai then I would not expect to see a high score for this part of the PR application.

Yes I was quite shocked when I was interviewed on Tuesday, expecting a simple 10 question test. Instead I got very personal questions like, why did I break up with my former girlfriend (I am single) If I got to Karaokes, If I fool around, where to I go out at night, do I drink and smoke, What did I do on the 5h of December last year. I answered that I was at a ceremony for the king. Then they yelled at me because I did not light any candles for the king.

Grilled me about my work and other matters.

Unfortunately I did not dress in a suite and tie, which I would recommend.

After the interview I felt like my chances of getting PR had suddenly been lowered.

On the positive side I speak almost perfect Thai, so I was able to answer all their questions.

I think they are trying to streamline the process be finished by the end of the year, so this might have been the review committee that looks at each case...

bkk_bwana or any one else felt like they were grilled?

Edited by THAIJAMES

Yes and no. I think the "interrogation" process is to see if you can understand Thai and hold a conversation. Not an unreasonable test for PR, but of course, the ability to speak fluent Thai is not in itself a reason for them to allow you to stay for ever! There are many other valid reasons for people to stay here that also hold weight.

I was asked what I thought of the Prime Minister. I kind of fudged the question by saying that he was experienced, had only been in office three months and I should be asked the same question again in about six months. I was then asked what I thought about Thaksin. I told them that this was a sensitive matter and that I did not want to answer questions about politics. I managed to get them to laugh several times during the process so I don't think that it went against me.

They were very pleasant, although a very formal environment. It did feel like a grilling, but a language griling more than anything else. Such an interview may seem intimidating for some.

Yes and no. I think the "interrogation" process is to see if you can understand Thai and hold a conversation. Not an unreasonable test for PR, but of course, the ability to speak fluent Thai is not in itself a reason for them to allow you to stay for ever! There are many other valid reasons for people to stay here that also hold weight.

I was asked what I thought of the Prime Minister. I kind of fudged the question by saying that he was experienced, had only been in office three months and I should be asked the same question again in about six months. I was then asked what I thought about Thaksin. I told them that this was a sensitive matter and that I did not want to answer questions about politics. I managed to get them to laugh several times during the process so I don't think that it went against me.

They were very pleasant, although a very formal environment. It did feel like a grilling, but a language griling more than anything else. Such an interview may seem intimidating for some.

It certainly sounds as though the language tests have become more rigorous since I obtained PR.What surprises me more is the nature of the questions - personal and political.In my case it was all rather bland.

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear I was not the only one that got grilled. Looks like you answered those political questions pretty well.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear I was not the only one that got grilled. Looks like you answered those political questions pretty well.

Just like a politician!