Pattaya / Phuket / Samui Nightlife

TravelFrog

Which destination offers the best nightlife for bars, discos and sanuk..?

It looks as though Phuket has fallen prey to restricted 1am closing times now... Can anyone confirm what is happening? Will some places still be able to open late or is this the end? Having said that though, I heard rumours of a blanket 4am closing time on Phuket being considered for the future. Is there any news on this?

I hear that Pattaya has escaped the new 1am restricted closing times. What's the nightlife like? What times do bars and discos close? What are the best bars? How long does it take to get there from BKK? (I have never been to Pattaya before).

I have not heard anything about Samui, so I am assuming nothing has changed... Can anyone confirm?

Cheers.

T

Samui is shit. its full of prostitutes and not all but many stupid(have no idea about Thailand) farang. Why would you want to goto any place that has a F###### MCdonalds? Never been to Phuket(dont want to) and also Pattaya( though i am keen to go for a look and see if its what people say)

Samui is shit. its full of prostitutes and not all but many stupid(have no idea about Thailand) farang. Why would you want to goto any place that has a F###### MCdonalds? Never been to Phuket(dont want to) and also Pattaya( though i am keen to go for a look and see if its what people say)

Don't go!!! They have a McDonalds too :D also stay away from Bangkok, :D and Chang Mai :o because they have McDonalds as well. Oh my might as well go home Thailand has McDonalds.

TF

You can find after hours bars and other dens of questionable virtue in most of the places you've mentioned. You can still have fun. If you want to carry on without the search, buy a bottle or two of tequilla and invite a bunch of the bar ladies back to you place after closing time for some shooters. Usually no extra charge for that (other than the tequilla) and a great way make to make friends and influence people.

:D Coffee!!! :D

The following is a VERY personal opinion. Also my opinion about these things changes with my mood. Also it's more based on feeling than on anything else, your feel of the place WILL be different:

PATTAYA:

* Quick & cheap to get to, 2 hour busride or 1.30 mins taxi ride

* Best value accommodation anywhere in Thailand, especially in the budget 3 star-ish range.

* Nobody tries to pretend Pattaya is anything but what it is. :o You go to Pattaya for the reasons you go to Vegas, and it ain't peace, quiet, nature or spirituality. Note that I'm not including 'culture' in this list because you could make a case that anything that goes on in Thailand is in fact part of Thai culture. If anything, culture relates to people, and if theres ONE place where you're going to meet a lot of Thai people from all over the country then it's Pattaya.

* Pattaya has the most bars, bargirls, gogo bars & prostitutes per-tourist-capita in the country, likely the world. Bars, drinking and girls in the tourist scene are also cheaper compared to anywhere else in the country.

* Pattaya will make you feel like a walking-ATM-tourist.

* Many people don't go to Pattaya for the beach, but if you do, there are *fair* beaches at Wong Amat, on the back-side of Pattaya hill and at Jomtien. FAIR beaches; not STUNNING beaches.

PHUKET

* Don't mistake Patong beach for Phuket. Phuket is a province, and overall offers a lot more than just beach. Patong beach is similar to Pattaya. But there are a lot more beaches areound, and some national parks, and the province capital Phuket Town is quite a nice laid back town really. The main beaches are THE MOST expensive anywhere in Thailand. Same for cost of transport and everything else. But, Phuket does offer the value if you can afford it. Many hotel/resort businesses in Phuket have been in operation long enough to also offer the value with the price they ask for it.

SAMUI

Als has its fair share of bars. Value wise there are still a lot of operations that charge Phuket prices but without offering the same level of professional service. You can get good deals, but you can also be ripped off big time. Overall Phuket beaches are more scenic, and there are more island excursions to be had around Phuket.

Conclusion: If you base your destination on the total number of bar hours to be had per day then you should head to Pattaya: More bars than anywhere else, and they open earlier than anywhere else and close later. In fact I doubt there's any hour of the day or night when you can NOT find a bar open in Pattaya.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Any particular bars/discos you can recommend in Pattaya?

No. :o Different people like different bar types. An easy example is the gogo-bar vs. beer bar issue. Some people just like or dislike one or the other.

One tip that I can give you: Keep in mind bars and bar areas are VERY spread out in Pattaya. You may love South Pattaya/Walking Street or you may hate it; but keep in mind that you will find LOADS of bars as far North as sois 6, 3, even Naklua. And East past Second Road. You will have to do your own research. :D

On discos I'm completely not current in Pattaya.

Don't go!!! They have a McDonalds too  also stay away from Bangkok,  and Chang Mai  because they have McDonalds as well. Oh my might as well go home Thailand has McDonalds.

Its not just BKK and Chaing Mai they are every where, there is one up here, auattaya as well and I suspect loads in provincial capitals all over thailand. I actally like a Mc Donalds now and again, never used to eat them back home though.

Chanchao great post I agreed with just about everything you said (not that it wouldnt of been great if I did'nt agree :o )

Good info Chanchao... Any particular bars/discos you can recommend in Pattaya?

Cheers.

T

I could recommend XZYTE Disco which is more a Thai disco with shows and singers , there are also of course a few farangs . One Chivas bottle was 990 Bahts + mixers to pay.

You have also typical Thai discos same others town who are HOLLYWOOD or DANCE FEVER.

In Walking street you have TONYS which was a nice disco with a lot of freelancers and farangs , nice place but problem is that there is a lot of staff people who try to sell you every kind of things (cigars , tequilas , ...) every 5 minutes.

The other big disco of Walking street is MARINE DISCO , but quite special , just techno music and very dark , with freelancers and a lot of farangs.

I ve heard now that LUCIFER is popular in Waking street also , but i ve never been there.

Hope it could help you :o

I would go with XZYTE,the girls love the show.

Stay away from hollywood ,too full of mao thai boys and its a crappy sound system played at max power so the speakers just feedback.

Marine is ok on walking st if your pissed enough.

Tonys sux big time with its overpriced drinks and blowfly "service staff".

Lucifers is a cool place to hang out with a great band, not really a disco tho. XZYTE is the best disco and the one that the girls love to go to. If you don't want to pay the cover at XZYTE (200 baht for farangs includes one drink, free for Thai's) then there's Hollywood which always gets packed. Bring your earplugs!.

The police are clamping down on the bars closing at 2AM but the Karaoke joints seem to go on all night. Hook up with a Thai girl she'll know where to party all night.

Pattaya is still sanook di :o

Cheers.

T

I could recommend XZYTE Disco which is more a Thai disco with shows and singers , there are also of course a few farangs . One Chivas bottle was 990 Bahts + mixers to pay.

You have also typical Thai discos same others town who are HOLLYWOOD or DANCE FEVER.

In Walking street you have TONYS which was a nice disco with a lot of freelancers and farangs , nice place but problem is that there is a lot of staff people who try to sell you every kind of things (cigars , tequilas , ...) every 5 minutes.

The other big disco of Walking street is MARINE DISCO , but quite special , just techno music and very dark , with freelancers and a lot of farangs.

I ve heard now that LUCIFER is popular in Waking street also , but i ve never been there.

Hope it could help you :D

990 bht for chivas, are you sure? :o

A bottle in 7/11 cost 999bht yesterday.

Cheers.

T

Hope it could help you :D

990 bht for chivas, are you sure? :o

A bottle in 7/11 cost 999bht yesterday.

Last time i was there was May2004 , but it was same price than 2 years before : 990

I believe than Chivas is one sponsor of the disco because others alcohol bottles are most expensive.

Hope it could help you  :D

I went to Xcite once last year, with a Thai friend. I was told I had to pay 350baht to get in, and it included one free drink ticket; my Thai friend didn't have to pay any cover charge, and his first drink was half price! So in the end I didn't go in. I've heard it's got a good band, but because of that policy I'll never know.

Tony's has by far the best selection of girls and no barfine, and both the DJ and band play a wide variety of music. Mainly hip hop and dance, with some other stuff like reggae, rock'n'roll etc thrown in. Plus there's professional ladyboy shows from Tiffanys every night, - all free. And there always some kind of promotion going on, sometime it's drink specials, just now it's the "Miss Tony's" competition [80 girls in bikinis competing for first prize - things can get pretty amorous :o ]. Plus no matter where you like to go and listen to music or pick up your partner for the night, remember that Tony's has by far the best and cheapest short time rooms in Pattaya. 300baht short time or 600 baht long time.

Marine used to be good, but the last few times I've been there it's been almost deserted. Music EXTREMELY loud, lights flashing and a big empty dance floor, with a few people standing around watching football on the big screens. Bizarre. I wonder what happened.

Lucifer seems busy but I won't be going back in again - not safe. Search on this board for some other threads about the fire hazard in that place. There's a fair bit of speculation that it might be shut down soon, anyway.

Oh, and one last point:

Blues Factory has a good band - not exactly "disco" though :D

> What's the easiest / fastest way to get to Pattaya from Bangkok or

> Singapore (is there a direct route from Singapore?)

No direct route from Singapore. From Singapore you'd fly to Bangkok, then either take a meter taxi all the way (around 1000 baht) or grab a taxi to the ***NORTHERN*** bus terminal (called Mor Chit, this terminal is closer by the airport than other terminals that have buses leaving to Pattaya, and buses are a lot quicker to clear Bangkok from Mor Chit than they are from the other terminal). Buses leave every 20-30-40 minutes depending on the time of day. 90-97 baht or so.

There's also a Thai Airways bus from the aiport to Pattaya but only very few departures per day. Google for it to check the times.

Hope it could help you  :D

I went to Xcite once last year, with a Thai friend. I was told I had to pay 350baht to get in, and it included one free drink ticket; my Thai friend didn't have to pay any cover charge, and his first drink was half price! So in the end I didn't go in. I've heard it's got a good band, but because of that policy I'll never know.

Tony's has by far the best selection of girls and no barfine, and both the DJ and band play a wide variety of music. Mainly hip hop and dance, with some other stuff like reggae, rock'n'roll etc thrown in. Plus there's professional ladyboy shows from Tiffanys every night, - all free. And there always some kind of promotion going on, sometime it's drink specials, just now it's the "Miss Tony's" competition [80 girls in bikinis competing for first prize - things can get pretty amorous :o ]. Plus no matter where you like to go and listen to music or pick up your partner for the night, remember that Tony's has by far the best and cheapest short time rooms in Pattaya. 300baht short time or 600 baht long time.

Marine used to be good, but the last few times I've been there it's been almost deserted. Music EXTREMELY loud, lights flashing and a big empty dance floor, with a few people standing around watching football on the big screens. Bizarre. I wonder what happened.

Lucifer seems busy but I won't be going back in again - not safe. Search on this board for some other threads about the fire hazard in that place. There's a fair bit of speculation that it might be shut down soon, anyway.

Oh, and one last point:

If Tony's staff developed some polite serving skills and did'nt hassle everybody then it would be a better place.

(And his brother owes me 7000bht)

Oh, and one last point:

The best that can be found :D

I've decided to leave the disco stuff up to you lot. -_-

(No competition really between The blues factory and Tony's (different styles) :wub:

• 5 weeks later...
Tony's would be good, but for pure hassle factor. STAY AWAY. About done my head in last time.  Can't actually think he makes that much dosh over all of those pesky vendors, can he?

Why don't you just go to Phuket, and have a great time ther. :D

Because Phuket ain't good enough :D

That's a matter of taste, just because you stay in Pattaya that doesn't make it the perfect destination for the rest of us. :o

From Pattaya Today newspaper:

A council insider, who asked not to be named, told Pattaya Today that the most likely end game will be that provincial governors, the so called CEOs, will be given discretion about opening hours within the broad band of the 2004 legislation. However, there is likely to be a short period of further confusion whilst the matter is arbitrated and decided in the national corridors of power. “Expect good news before Christmas,” is what our reporters heard.

- “Expect good news before Christmas" - I hope so. :o