Living Expense In Chiangmai ?

Peregrine

Would like to relocate to Chiangmai for a year or two on retirement visa, do some light travel in Asia. My question is, what kind of accommodation could i expect on about 120K a month. I would also like an idea of start up cost. Thank you.

i'll be happy to rent you my house for half that amount! :o

and btw here we go again.

Yep...Didn't we already cover this topic..and still going at it on a different thread?

The OP on that thread had in mind a totally different budget.

i'll be happy to rent you my house for half that amount! :D

and btw here we go again.

Yep...Didn't we already cover this topic..and still going at it on a different thread?

The OP on that thread had in mind a totally different budget.

Yep...I stand corrected.

:o

My question is, what kind of accommodation could i expect on about 120K a month.

120K is more than I have heard of anyone spending on rent here. I am not sure there are even any places that cost that much.

Sorry, what type of standard of living could you expect, i might like to purchase a good used vehicle.

120 000 baht per month affords you quite a reasonable standard of living, some would even classify it as luxurious. Depends on your perspective and what you are used to.

Many people rent a house outside of town for around 5000 - 10 000 baht per month - these are basic houses but all the same quite liveable. If you want a large furnished house in very good condition, expect around 25 000 per month.

(These are guidelines, I know there are exceptions).

Local food in a simple restaurant with plastic chairs, i.e. fried rice, noodle soup, dishes over rice: 20-50 baht.

Thai food at guest houses/places geared towards limited budget tourists: 30-70 baht.

Western food at guest houses/places geared towards limited budget tourists: 60-200 baht.

Japanese food for two, simple restaurant: 250 baht.

Japanese food for two, air-conditioned franchise restaurant: 300 - 1200 baht (if you splash out with the highest grade of sashimi).

Internet:

Dialup ?

GPRS ?

Satellite ?

ADSL/Cable Internet, cheap consumer package w. restrictions and high sharing ratio for the same bandwidth: 300 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, mid-range consumer package w. fewer restrictions and mid sharing ratio for the same bandwidth: 1000 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, small business package w. no or few restrictions and low or non-shared bandwidth: 2500 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, corporate business package w. no restrictions and non-shared bandwidth: 4500-6000 baht/month

...feel free to copy and edit and add, maybe we can help each other out to make a semi-permanent list to refer to for future queries?

120 000 baht per month affords you quite a reasonable standard of living, some would even classify it as luxurious. Depends on your perspective and what you are used to.

Many people rent a house outside of town for around 5000 - 10 000 baht per month - these are basic houses but all the same quite liveable. If you want a large furnished house in very good condition, expect around 25 000 per month.

Local food in a simple restaurant with plastic chairs, i.e. fried rice, noodle soup, dishes over rice: 20-50 baht.

Thai food at guest houses/places geared towards limited budget tourists: 30-70 baht.

Western food at guest houses/places geared towards limited budget tourists: 60-200 baht.

Japanese food for two, air-conditioned franchise restaurant: 300 - 1200 baht (if you splash out with the highest grade of sashimi).

Internet:

Dialup ?

GPRS ?

Satellite ?

ADSL/Cable Internet, cheap consumer package w. restrictions and high sharing ratio for the same bandwidth: 300 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, mid-range consumer package w. fewer restrictions and mid sharing ratio for the same bandwidth: 1000 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, small business package w. no or few restrictions and low or non-shared bandwidth: 2500 baht/month

ADSL/Cable Internet, corporate business package w. no restrictions and non-shared bandwidth: 4500-6000 baht/month

...feel free to copy and edit and add, maybe we can help each other out to make a semi-permanent list to refer to for future queries?

How about A/C furnished two bedroom condo(Western Style) I am a Texan(LOL).

Internet:

Dialup ?

GPRS ?

Satellite ?

How about A/C furnished two bedroom condo(Western Style) I am a Texan(LOL).

You can easily find that for between Baht 35,000 and 40,000 and will be hard pressed to find paces 2 bed/2bath condo's in CM for more than that. Go talk to Khun Nok at Floral Chiang Mai condo's in Watkate, that way you can go and eat at the Dukes (Tex/Mex) easily.