Hdtv Confused

JAS21

OK I need to purchase a new TV and are considering 46 inch size. Leaning towards LCD for maybe the only reason is that it runs cooler. We will sit about 10-11 feet from the screen.

We have UBC and mainly watch TV. But I would also like to watch films in the future.

So what is the status with HDTV in Thailand? Can you get any HD films via satellite? also what is the availability of HV DVDs?

Also is it worth going to 1020p. Or would I be wasting my money. I was looking at Bravia, but see that Samsung 102 has a very good write up, but not sure if its technicalities would be wasted here.

Thanks guys

There is no HDTV broadcast (that technically not true there is one test channel on a bird thats acessable but not worth having) here.

I would say that a 1080p set at that distance is not worth the additional cost. 1080p is nice on really big (projection) screens or if your uber close.. For TV / DVD and occasional BluRay use its really not a night and day difference especially at 10 ft from a 46 inch screen.

Of course there is the possibility of future proofing but I really dont see broadcast HD here in the next 24 months or so.

There is no HDTV broadcast (that technically not true there is one test channel on a bird thats acessable but not worth having) here......

Actually I think you will find there are already three demo channels available here free to air:

Luxe TV HD on Asiasat 2 4000H in English & French

Voom HD on Measat 3 3752V in English

CCTV Hi-Vision on Chinasat 6B 4100V in Chinese

plus several encryted ones:

TrueVisions Preview on Thaicom 2/5 12657H in Thai

Three more Chinese on Chinasat 6B

You can get in idea of the Luxe TV content in standard definition on Asiasat 2 4000H, and of Voom at http://www.voom.tv/

No free full length movies here, but I'd have thought, given an HD TV set, it would be worth adding an HD satellite box as an alternative source to Blu Ray discs. Clearly more satellite HD is on the way.

+ SJ