Is Living In Thailand Really That Bad These Days?

ameliaL

Hi all,

i haven't been to thailand for a long time now and now that i am thinking of retiring there,i been reading a lot of blogs by people who live there. many diffrent opinions of course are expressed but so many are as well very negative. The exurpt from the blog below talks about insessant noice while living in phuket. i wonder how much of this is true. Would anyone care to comment and let me know how bad things really are? Can a person moving to Thailand today find a quiet descent clean place to live close to shopping and the beaches without enduring noice pollution or the insanity described by the fellow blogger below? and if so, which spots to live would you recommend?

please read the exurpt:

"Today's subject is noise.

The tourist brochures may give the impression that the loudest sounds you will ever hear in Thailand are the rustle of palm trees in the breeze, the gentle lapping of the waves on the shore, and the occasional thud of a coconut falling to the ground but that wouldn't exactly be accurate. Personally speaking, noise is one of the worst aspects of living in Thailand.

Natural sounds are fantastic. The storm beating down now - along with the thunder claps - sound like music to my ears, as do the songs of the wild birds tethered to trees with pieces of string just outside my window.

It's the man-made sounds that are a problem.

Construction work seems to be never-ending and just as one 18 month construction project finishes, another starts. The only good thing about constant banging sounds for 10 hours each and every day is that the brain starts to filter them out so, after a while, they disappear - well, almost.

A popular way of advertising in Thailand is for pickup trucks with huge loudspeakers on the back to creep around the roads blasting out music and adverts. This is done to advertise goods and services, as well as being a method used by politicians at election time.

Near to where I am is an army base and low-flying helicopters buzz overhead. They don't fly over that often but when they do, they make a hel_l of a noise.

More frequent are the road racers. Many young Thai males amuse themselves by racing vehicles on the streets - either motorbikes or cars. Their vehicles normally have modified exhaust systems which make a terrible din.

Even a motorbike with a tiny 125cc engine can sound like a jet fighter in Thailand. If they drive cars, they normally install huge sound systems along with modified exhausts. Evening is the worst time for road racers.

This is nothing new. When John Laird wrote his book 'Money Politics, Globalisation, and Crisis' in 2000, he devoted an entire chapter to the problem, titled 'Go Fast, Make a Big Noise'.

Another group of young lads who live about 100 yards away do dirt racing with proper trail bikes. It's a legitimate enough hobby but when they tune their bikes up, they rev them constantly. All I hear for hours is, "vroom vroom vroom," and it goes on and on and on.

met a guy from Phuket the other day. We spoke in Thai. He really doesn't like Phuket at all. He was born there, grew up there. He hates what it has become. I told him at first - oh - you are lucky to live there. He said, "lucky why?". That started our conversation about the horrible place it has become for him.

Too many Thais. Too many farang. Too much traffic. No culture. No Traditions.

Thais are very selfish. Consumed with making money to live. Focused on themselves, not others. Not ever their own kids. Parents whore out their daughters. Their sons. Their ladyboys. Everyone's on drugs.

If there's an accident - nobody cares, they look the other way sometimes.

Constant fights all over town. Drug wars, thievery... rape. Murder.

He was really sad about the state of Phuket. (around patong and phuket town) "

any good opinions would be greatly appreicated.

thank you

amelia

Edited by ameliaL

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you are thinking about retiring here that is quite a major decision, so rather than rely on opinions from others why don't you first have a holiday and check it out for yourself.

To make major changes in your life based on other peoples opinions is not the most intelligent way of doing things.

I lived in Thailand for 13 years, 5 in Bangkok, 7 in Pattaya and 1 outside of Buriram. When I first moved to Thailand it was the greatest country in the world, for sure ! As it started to build up the heart of the country started to die. Now is the worst I have ever seen it. I am not really sure why things have gone the way they have, perhaps greed. There are many nice things that Thailand still offers, food, some of the beaches and islands, cost of living, sweet ladies, and much much more. I would say however that currently it is no place to live in if you can not accept the problems that also are part of this country, noise, crime, traffic, ripoffs, etc etc. Most people who look happy here are very carefree in there thinking. Others can't wait to leave but are stuck because they have invested too much and find it hard to get out. They bitch about the problems and about life in general, all for perhaps good reasons.

It all comes down to how much you can over look. Would it drive you crazy if a bar opened next door and blasted music all night ? Would it drive you crazy if you are charged twice or even 10 times as much as a Thai ? Do you plan to drive a car in the city traffic ? Can you keep and feel safe when there is crime going on all around you ? Can you accept that the main reason they want you in the country is because of your money ? Can you accept that you have NO say in any government dealings or laws even if they affect you. Do you mind going to checkin every 90 days to the government, no matter what visa you have ? Would you mind being told that you no longer meet the requirements to stay and have to leave the country ? There are many things in every part of your daily life that can eat at your mind. Most items listed above will affect you and you have to just putup with all of them as you can not change them. Can you live like that and be happy? That is the main question !

What you see on a two week visit is just not enough to make your decision on. It takes a few months to really get the true picture of what life is really like.

For me, I am now out of there. My GF is joining me soon so I will have the best of Thailand by my side and live in a place that gives me piece of mind, not Thailand !

Living in Thailand has it's ups and downs. I agree with the above ^^ visit there for an extended period of time before deciding to live there. Travel, find busy and less-busy places. Enjoy the visit before making a decision as to retiring there.

Good luck and happy hunting!

I am seriously thinking of retiring to Thailand myself. I have had about eight 2-3 week holidays over the last 5 years, but would not make a final decision until living there for at least three months. For one thing you need to decide where in Thailand you want to live. Certainly places like Pattaya/Jomtien don't appeal, too much development, noise, crime, Russians etc. I want to have a look on the coast at places like Bang Saen and Mae Phim. I want somewhere there are a few bars and restaurants and a small farang population, but more laid back than Pattaya or Phuket.

Hi all,

i haven't been to thailand for a long time now and now that i am thinking of retiring there,i been reading a lot of blogs by people who live there. many diffrent opinions of course are expressed but so many are as well very negative. The exurpt from the blog below talks about insessant noice while living in phuket. i wonder how much of this is true. Would anyone care to comment and let me know how bad things really are? Can a person moving to Thailand today find a quiet descent clean place to live close to shopping and the beaches without enduring noice pollution or the insanity described by the fellow blogger below? and if so, which spots to live would you recommend?

please read the exurpt:

The tourist brochures may give the impression that the loudest sounds you will ever hear in Thailand are the rustle of palm trees in the breeze, the gentle lapping of the waves on the shore, and the occasional thud of a coconut falling to the ground but that wouldn't exactly be accurate. Personally speaking, noise is one of the worst aspects of living in Thailand.

Natural sounds are fantastic. The storm beating down now - along with the thunder claps - sound like music to my ears, as do the songs of the wild birds tethered to trees with pieces of string just outside my window.

Construction work seems to be never-ending and just as one 18 month construction project finishes, another starts. The only good thing about constant banging sounds for 10 hours each and every day is that the brain starts to filter them out so, after a while, they disappear - well, almost.

A popular way of advertising in Thailand is for pickup trucks with huge loudspeakers on the back to creep around the roads blasting out music and adverts. This is done to advertise goods and services, as well as being a method used by politicians at election time.

Near to where I am is an army base and low-flying helicopters buzz overhead. They don't fly over that often but when they do, they make a hel_l of a noise.

More frequent are the road racers. Many young Thai males amuse themselves by racing vehicles on the streets - either motorbikes or cars. Their vehicles normally have modified exhaust systems which make a terrible din.

Even a motorbike with a tiny 125cc engine can sound like a jet fighter in Thailand. If they drive cars, they normally install huge sound systems along with modified exhausts. Evening is the worst time for road racers.

This is nothing new. When John Laird wrote his book 'Money Politics, Globalisation, and Crisis' in 2000, he devoted an entire chapter to the problem, titled 'Go Fast, Make a Big Noise'.

Another group of young lads who live about 100 yards away do dirt racing with proper trail bikes. It's a legitimate enough hobby but when they tune their bikes up, they rev them constantly. All I hear for hours is, "vroom vroom vroom," and it goes on and on and on.

met a guy from Phuket the other day. We spoke in Thai. He really doesn't like Phuket at all. He was born there, grew up there. He hates what it has become. I told him at first - oh - you are lucky to live there. He said, "lucky why?". That started our conversation about the horrible place it has become for him.

Thais are very selfish. Consumed with making money to live. Focused on themselves, not others. Not ever their own kids. Parents whore out their daughters. Their sons. Their ladyboys. Everyone's on drugs.

thank you

amelia

As with any country, one has to be selective about where they live. I have no major noise problems in the house where I live in Khon Kaen. But, there are many noisy areas in this city - dogs, chickens, etc, etc. My advice is to stay away from tourist areas, which are more prone to the problems you describe. If you Really want to see "Constant fights all over town. Drug wars, thievery... rape. Murder", go to USA or Mexico. A gun battle with drug dealers in Tjuaina, Mex recently killed 13 people in one whack.

I lived in Thailand for 13 years, 5 in Bangkok, 7 in Pattaya and 1 outside of Buriram. When I first moved to Thailand it was the greatest country in the world, for sure ! As it started to build up the heart of the country started to die. Now is the worst I have ever seen it. I am not really sure why things have gone the way they have, perhaps greed. There are many nice things that Thailand still offers, food, some of the beaches and islands, cost of living, sweet ladies, and much much more. I would say however that currently it is no place to live in if you can not accept the problems that also are part of this country, noise, crime, traffic, ripoffs, etc etc. Most people who look happy here are very carefree in there thinking. Others can't wait to leave but are stuck because they have invested too much and find it hard to get out. They bitch about the problems and about life in general, all for perhaps good reasons.

It all comes down to how much you can over look. Would it drive you crazy if a bar opened next door and blasted music all night ? Would it drive you crazy if you are charged twice or even 10 times as much as a Thai ? Do you plan to drive a car in the city traffic ? Can you keep and feel safe when there is crime going on all around you ? Can you accept that the main reason they want you in the country is because of your money ? Can you accept that you have NO say in any government dealings or laws even if they affect you. Do you mind going to checkin every 90 days to the government, no matter what visa you have ? Would you mind being told that you no longer meet the requirements to stay and have to leave the country ? There are many things in every part of your daily life that can eat at your mind. Most items listed above will affect you and you have to just putup with all of them as you can not change them. Can you live like that and be happy? That is the main question !

What you see on a two week visit is just not enough to make your decision on. It takes a few months to really get the true picture of what life is really like.

For me, I am now out of there. My GF is joining me soon so I will have the best of Thailand by my side and live in a place that gives me piece of mind, not Thailand !

So, what country will you be moving to?

Hi all,

please read the exurpt:

thank you

amelia

Phuket is a huge town!

if you really want to be secluded & hear waves washing & the sway of coconut palms a whishing go to Koh Kood (on the Koh Chang island chain - past Koh Maak)

Hardly ever hear a motorbike a jet ski or see many tourists. ATM machine got to go back to Koh Chang. None there.

Infrastructure next to nil. But you better be ready for the morgue. Not much to do , but fry in the sun or hide.

Spend 2 or 3 months in Thailand ,Go around a bit -there are places I am sure you will find to your liking. Even Krabi is much much quieter than Phuket. You just happened to pick one of the more populated places. Many of other smaller beaches.

Cheers

My longest stay was two months in Samut Sakon. Always very noisy and the house would actually shake whe large trucks went by.

Just a few minutes out of town though it was very, very quiet.

Interestingly, I have always stayed at the Sandy Spring hotel when in Pattaya and Phuket Towers when I stayed there.

Both were very quiet... :o

It all depends on where and how you want to live.

I am married to a Thai lady and our son will be 4 in August. We live on 10 rai of land 65km southwest of Khampaeng Phet in the central region with a collection of odd dogs.

My nearest permanent farang neighbour is about 60 km away but there are several who come and go during the year. There are only a couple of bars in the village 6km away and it is a rural community. There is very little crime and people up here give me a genuine smile and we try to talk in their not so good English and my poor Thai but everybody is friendly.

They probably know all my business and I expect my wife knows theirs but that is it. My wife started a noodle restaurant and small shop this year on another 10 rai of land she owns mainly because she was bored and she is a good cook anyway.

Up here there is not much for a farang to do and the nearest pizza or KFC is about 125km away but I am certainly happy enough here and expect to live out my days and die here.

I am probably of the rose tinted spectacles variety of farang though there are a lot of petty things that annoy me I just live with it.

Remember that many have fulfilling lives, but are too busy to write about it on this forum so you are getting a negative skew while coming on vacation to tourist destinations is a positive skewing.

Those Thais at the resort are smiling and seemingly friendly but like under-payed employees at any destination in the world, it is their job to do so and the attitude is somewhat disingenuous.

If you live in desirable tourist areas, you will be subject to crime, scam artists, lazy or thieving household employees, etc.

Just look up before you sign a lease as yes, noise is a HUGE factor and even in rural area, village elders like to put low quality speakers up on poles and broadcast Radio Thailand at 7- 8 in the morning and then again between 4-5 in the afternoon.

If you are coming here because of the women, do well to remember that a lot of the unhappiness comes from a reliance on Thai women for relationships, whereas she's probably been taught to be dependent on men and thus uses materially to survive.

In short, you'll get half what you pay for.

Thailand has plenty of laws , they just aren't enforced until it is convenient or advantageous.

Look at the nominee business registrations, lax visa regulation, etc.

Bait and switch.

Bigotry against " Farangs": aliens to be separated from their cash.

Do not expect to own land , (30 + 30 year leases are bogus there is no guarantee of 30 year renewal ) so rent cheap.

Enjoy T Land for the fine weather , at least on the west coast of Phuket!

Cheap tangerines and snapper year round, the fun of a motor scooter. The shade of a rubber tree plantation...The owls hooting. The sea, bright green and tranquil, then angry but beautiful.

As long as you can keep your dealing with Thais minimal, it's a nice place

Edited by MustaphaMond

'.... are very selfish. Consumed with making money to live. Focused on themselves, not others. Not ever their own kids. Parents whore out their daughters. Their sons. Their ladyboys. Everyone's on drugs.

Constant fights all over town. Drug wars, thievery... rape. Murder."

Sounds like most major cities in the world. Parents whoring out their daughters, however, is a little rough.

mmm ... well, the answer is very easy ... go to Patong and you'll agree with the negative comments ... come to live in Sai Yuan and you'll feel like me ... blessed :o

it's very quit here, lot's of shops and little restaurants spread out, still lot's of nature, 2 beaches close by, almost no tourists etc.

just pick the right place to live and you'll be fine ...

Its interesting to hear people post about how Thailand was paradise when they first came and now its awful, and some of them have only been here 5 years. I have posted it before, I will post it again. There is a very steep learning curve for living in Thailand and most people never make it out of the second stage.

Stage 1: They come to Thailand with stars in their eyes, its a paradise, the people are wonderful

Stage 2:disillusionment sets in and people are awful, greedy selfish and criminal, its a hel_l on earth

and the final stage that many posters don't ever seem to reach but instead leave first :

Thailand is a place, just like any other. It has its good things and its bad things, some people are awful, some people are wonderful, but most people are just people living their lives. Your life is what you make of it and if you look at everything with a negative viewpoint then negativity will surely dog your footsteps.

As to the Thai person you've talked to, well, nothing is worse than watching your home get taken over by outsiders, your community destroyed and your home become so expensive that most local people can't afford to live there anymore. It happened to Phuket, its happened to Samui, its starting to happen to Koh Phangan. My husband would have similar things to say about our little island and we don't have even 1/10th of the problems Phuket has.

Interesting place for the first two years, after peeling back the layers now madly want out of here in my 5th year.

Also don't want my son to grow up and be educated here, mom feels the same and is more often disgusted by her own country.

All of that could have been written by me Tony, except after 2 years here ( this time ) we are "going home ',its not what it was and the things that brought me here disapeared with the rose coloured glasses,my wife also cant beleive the behaviour of her fellow countrymen,it actually was her that wanted to stay in the UK, i wish i had listened,.a Thai wife can be the best you wil ever find, some the worst, thank God mines the former !,.

Sounds like most major cities in the world. Parents whoring out their daughters, however, is a little rough.

Yes except most people dont rate that paradise island vibe as being same crime levels as 'most major cities'..

Paradise Island?

As long as you can keep your dealing with Thais minimal, it's a nice place

This is the most valid point. Most guys are held hostage by 2 things:

1) Wife's Family and their expectations.

2) Location.

We all live in our own world(s) of our making, or not.

Yes except most people dont rate that paradise island vibe as being same crime levels as 'most major cities'..

Paradise Island?

Yes I think thats how most initial (naive perhaps) visitors perceive it.

Everything deteriorates in the eyes of long-term people. Nothing is ever as good as it was back in the good old days.
Cant really agree,.its a bit like meeting someone you like then you see something in them you dont like at all and begin to think you have next to nothing in common with them,.dosent take long in some cases,. ive lived and worked in many countries, Canada was beautiful in the Okanagon, but i tried living in Thailand as im married to a Thai,.but we have both agreed for us and to put our daughter through school England will be better,.and her family dont need our support and money has no connection to our move back, and unlike some i still like my home ,Devon,dosent worry me in the least to go back,.

I live here too, have done off and on for over 20 years.

It all comes down to how much you can over look. Would it drive you crazy if a bar opened next door and blasted music all night ?

No because I live on the eightfloor of a large apartment building. With the wondows shut I hear nothing- never had a place so quiet in my life. It has a restaraunt, massage place and coffee shop in the complex but a bar would be a nice addition.

Would it drive you crazy if you are charged twice or even 10 times as much as a Thai ?

Rarely happens as my Thai is resonable and I ask prices first.

Do you plan to drive a car in the city traffic ?

I own a car and love driving in Bangkok, doesn't everyone?

Can you keep and feel safe when there is crime going on all around you ?

I feel very, very safe in Thailand. People who worry about crime and so on must postively shake in fear when crossing a busy road. Develop a backbone is my advice.

Can you accept that the main reason they want you in the country is because of your money ? Can you accept that you have NO say in any government dealings or laws even if they affect you. Do you mind going to checkin every 90 days to the government, no matter what visa you have ?

Yes. BTW I never go to immigration except at end of year. The secretary handles the

90 day check in.

Edited by clausewitz

The bottom line is is not for everyone. I'm working on six years in Udon it's home to me. Ha i changed sure, but look at your own nieghborhood and community has it changed in a decade. That is a normal thing.

It takes about two years for the new to wear off an face real life. I'm sure things are very different in a tourist area. This is a nice place but very short beaches. But ther are within a days travel and the meantime very little double pricing, ect. I think Puckett is a beautiful place but I prefer peace and quiet.

I will say this to you a vacation is a vacation and living somewhere is much different. If yuo can the best thing to do is take two years rent and see if it fits yuo. Keep your assests where they are bring no more here then you can afford to lose.

If I had not had an overwhelming desire to change my life I would never have survived here.

Everything deteriorates in the eyes of long-term people. Nothing is ever as good as it was back in the good old days.

Hi SBK

People need to realize that 'The Good Old Days' should be NOW! :D

Reminds me of the saying "The older I get, the better I used to be. :D

:o

youthful Dave

I thought it was just me that had become disillusioned with “Paradise”. Apparently not.

I agree with SBK that living in Thailand we go through phases. Even before Phase 1 begins, our 2 week holiday stirs the imagination of actually living here permanently. “The Thai’s are such lovely people. Always smiling”. The illusion begins.

Those first 2 or 3 years were fantastic for me (10 years ago). I loved every minute of it and when people asked me if I would ever leave Phuket, I said “never”. I loved the laid back lifestyle, the beaches, the people and having fun. The illusion grew.

Then phase 2 kicks in and the illusion is revealed. I came to despise everything about the place – the traffic, noise, no parking, crime, corruption, tea money, tuk tuks, tailors, beach sellers, girls, quality of tourists…lets face it, I had become miserable. I lived here, but I felt like a tourist every single day…”Hello, suit for you sir?”. It was time to go.

But the biggest issue in leaving “Paradise” is where to go. Where is better? It’s easy to rationalize it down to the weather, or cost, or the fact a pretty girl will actually look at you, so you stay. But where is better? You start thinking about Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines or Malaysia…but really, will any of them be better? So, you stay a little longer but you do not enjoy it like you once did. What changed? You or the place? Probably both. The illusion is over.

I knew it was time to go. I did want to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt, so I searched from North to South eventually settling in the mountains south of Chiang Mai in a small Thai village. People are friendly and helpful and get on with their business and don’t worry about mine. For what I sold my 2 bedroom house in Phuket, I have a 4 bedroom house, with pool on 8 Rai with amazing views. It was a good decision.

The tourist areas are just that – a place that exists solely to part you from your money. They are fun to visit but living there you are still a tourist. The illusion is less impressive when you know how it’s done, and once you reach that point, it’s time to leave.

Good Luck.