The Quest For Paving Stones

cmsally

Am on a quest for paving stones that I can lay on a surface that otherwise becomes muddy in the rainy season.

Must be fairly thick and strong enough in case a car parks on it.

Have looked at the brick type options which don't look strong enough and might not hold up well to be continuously wet when it rains. Found something better at Paradorn bricks, which was concrete slabs which were coated on the top to look similar to a brick finish. That's the other requirement, must look kind of nice.

Unfortunately they only had 2 designs and looked like old stock.

Anyone have any good ideas where I might find something suitable?

Done Global House, nothing there.

All suggestions gratefully received. :o

Don't know what kind of area you want to cover but you might consider the honeycomb concrete blocks and plant grass in the holes. Looks like all or mostly grass after a year or so but has the support of the concrete blocks. Often used for driveways. Cooler than all concrete/paving stones. Nopadon Panit sells paving stones in many colors, CPAC I think, not sure about the honeycomb blocks.

Thank you, for the info.

Where is Nopadon Panit? :o

I can't do the honeycomb ones as its an area so shaded that no grass will grow, shaded by buildings on the sunny side as well as some overhanging trees. Tried grass already but a no grow area.

An open-air place called Kumtian, right behind the Superhiway Tesco/Lotus, has a fair selection. Heading West on the service road, take a couple of left turns just after Tesco and head to the back. Also have LOTS of plants, birds, etc..

Most important when you are laying pavers (or laying anything for that matter :o ) is the preparation of the area where you intend to lay them.

No point in plonking them straight down on the surface that becomes muddy, if you do then the pavers will just sink into the mud when it rains. Sand is the best base for laying pavers on but the sand must be levelled and compacted and levelled again before laying them down.

On the inside (city side) of the Super Highway between the Mae Joe Road and the Doi Saket road. It is a big construction supply store with a Home Mart sign.

Following BB's advice above about a compacted leveled sand base is essential.

Edited by Bill97

Am on a quest for paving stones that I can lay on a surface that otherwise becomes muddy in the rainy season.

Must be fairly thick and strong enough in case a car parks on it.

Have looked at the brick type options which don't look strong enough and might not hold up well to be continuously wet when it rains. Found something better at Paradorn bricks, which was concrete slabs which were coated on the top to look similar to a brick finish. That's the other requirement, must look kind of nice.

Unfortunately they only had 2 designs and looked like old stock.

Anyone have any good ideas where I might find something suitable?

Done Global House, nothing there.

All suggestions gratefully received. :o

I'd use clay bricks. Set on a compacted, course limestone sand base. Instead of laying them flat, lay them on their sides. ( makes it stronger) I would use a 45 degree herringbone pattern. and grout them with fine sand to allow better drainage. Border the edge with a continous border of concrete, to keep them in place.

You can also make your own concrete slabs. Make your own frames, hire someone to mix the concrete. While they are wet. imprint palm leaves in them, or place decorative stones in a pattern. Set them 3 inches apart and grout with more deco stones. Make them all 8" x 16" and 4 inches thick. lay them in the pattern of your choice.

Sounds like a fun project!

meandwi

On the inside (city side) of the Super Highway between the Mae Joe Road and the Doi Saket road. It is a big construction supply store with a Home Mart sign.

And go north on the Mae Joe Road past the Susco gas station and Land & Houses park on your left and 100 +/- meters further on on the west side of the highway is a wholeshale/retain outfit. They have been there for years, looked like they were just using an open field, but now they have built a permanent structure(s) and open air "show room". Prices seem to be a cheaper than at other sites. They do deliver.

Another option is 'stamped concrete'. This is not concrete slabs/tiles, but a poor on the whole area of colored concrete (or colored top layer) in which then a stone/paver pattern is stamped. There's literally hundreds of patterns to choose from. That's a lot cheaper than actual paving stones and should hold the weight of cars well. (Keeping Blinkie's post in mind on preparation, but there's not that many companies that do stamped concrete and I think they know.

stamped7.jpgstamped10.jpgstamped6.jpg

Edited by Jefferson

Most important when you are laying pavers (or laying anything for that matter :o ) is the preparation of the area where you intend to lay them.

No point in plonking them straight down on the surface that becomes muddy, if you do then the pavers will just sink into the mud when it rains. Sand is the best base for laying pavers on but the sand must be levelled and compacted and levelled again before laying them down.

Good advice. Do you (or anyone else) know where a small compactor can be hired? I've tried asking my builder but he has no idea :D

Good advice. Do you (or anyone else) know where a small compactor can be hired? I've tried asking my builder but he has no idea :

Hired one about a year ago. I think one place was on the superhighway between the Mae Joe and Mae Rim roads. I'll try to get you more detail about the location tomorrow.

The above location is not correct. The correct location is on the outside of the superhighway (north side) between the Ping River and the Mae Joe Road. Their name is Chiang Mai Wangthong Ltp. 053 242 228. 300 Baht/day for the small compactor and you have to leave a deposit of about 1500 baht.

And go north on the Mae Joe Road past the Susco gas station and Land & Houses park on your left and 100 +/- meters further on on the west side of the highway is a wholeshale/retain outfit. They have been there for years, looked like they were just using an open field, but now they have built a permanent structure(s) and open air "show room". Prices seem to be a cheaper than at other sites. They do deliver.

I can second this! Good choice, good prices, free delivery depending on quantity and distance to your home and the tall slim middle aged man (owner?) speaks very good English.

The above location is not correct. The correct location is on the outside of the superhighway (north side) between the Ping River and the Mae Joe Road. Their name is Chiang Mai Wangthong Ltp. 053 242 228. 300 Baht/day for the small compactor and you have to leave a deposit of about 1500 baht.

Many thanks :o