Ermmmmmmm Unbelievable

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only some condos are available for foreign ownership.

Well why wouldnt you only buy the ones with foreign ownership? If your buying something under your wifes name only when you have an option isnt thinking with the head on your shoulders

Amazing that you can get "Thai runaround" overseas as well.

:o

Yes it is amazing Ill explain more, ok I have 3 condos already 2 bought direct from the developer money sent from the Uk no problems all in my name, 3rd in wifes name before we married, 4th now we are married officially and the money was brought over in CASH not transferred by bank and thisis the sticking point. I have to prove the money was brought into the country or even thought we are married Ihave to sign a letter of confirmation to say that this money is solely m wifes and I cannot claim this condo in any divorce. Ok fair enough (well not really but I accept it)

As I am not in Thailand at the moment I need to get this letter witnessed by the embassy and it can only be done in London or they will not change the name from the original owner to my wifes name. Its better to NOT be married apparently as it would remove this signatory time wasting. After all I gain nothing but have to say I gain nothing. Why cant they just put it in her name anyway.

Seems rather pathetic it can only be done in London in the whole of the UK.

It's not possible to do it at the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull? At least it would save you plodding into London with the traffic.

Or even better, at the Royal Thai Consulate, there in Birmingham ?

Really insignificant when you think of the suffering in Myanmar today, isn't it? Sounds like a gold-plated problem to me.

Which is also really insignificant if you compare it to the state of the environment globally today, you can go on forever like this cant you its just plain daft.

It CAN ONLY BE DONE IN LONDON I HAVE ALREADY SPOKEN TO BIRMINGHAM EMBASSY AND HULL ETC ETC CANT BE DONE THERE.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. There are a lot of things that they will not do at a consulate and thus you must go to the embassy. Unfortunately, a lot of embassies from most countries are noted for their inefficiency and general disinterest in people. They are a gov't entity and they will continue to exist whether they do a good job or crappy job; whether they treat people well or poorly; whether they are helpful or inept.

Best of luck.

Im in the Uk ... it can only be done at the Thai Embassy in London, ... I live in Birminham so its a 130+ odd mile trip each way and into the London Congestion charging zone to do this.

Bloody ridiculous and they only open for 3 hours as well.

So that will be about £40 in fuel, £10 congestion charge, £10 parking if lucky and £10 to sign the paper. ...

Ha ha, it could have been much worse, dude!!

Just imagine that you are in Chad (or any other country in the centre of Africa), and you have to go all the way up to Egypt (or Morocco, or Nigeria, or Kenia, or South Africa, where there is an Embassy). Pay 20 times more for airfare, stay a week at a hotel (flights are weekly), airport commute, visa to the country, daily subsistence....

You guys in the west are spoiled...

Im in the Uk ... it can only be done at the Thai Embassy in London, ... I live in Birminham so its a 130+ odd mile trip each way and into the London Congestion charging zone to do this.

So that will be about £40 in fuel, £10 congestion charge, £10 parking if lucky and £10 to sign the paper. ...

Ha ha, it could have been much worse, dude!!

Just imagine that you are in Chad (or any other country in the centre of Africa), and you have to go all the way up to Egypt (or Morocco, or Nigeria, or Kenia, or South Africa, where there is an Embassy). Pay 20 times more for airfare, stay a week at a hotel (flights are weekly), airport commute, visa to the country, daily subsistence....

You guys in the west are spoiled...

No its just plain dumb in this age of e mail and fax it could all be done like this but stupidly isnt.

Hull have just replied to an e mail i sent 7 days ago and say they can do it BY POST copy of passport and mrriage cert (no mention of marriage cert by Embassy)but Birmingham and London Embassies said they could not, Birmingham said " have to go to London" London said only they can do it. Usual Thai efficiency then even in the UK??

My mistake in an earleir reply wen i said HULL couldnt it was Birmingham.

Yes it is amazing Ill explain more, ok I have 3 condos already 2 bought direct from the developer money sent from the Uk no problems all in my name, 3rd in wifes name before we married, 4th now we are married officially and the money was brought over in CASH not transferred by bank and thisis the sticking point. I have to prove the money was brought into the country or even thought we are married Ihave to sign a letter of confirmation to say that this money is solely m wifes and I cannot claim this condo in any divorce. Ok fair enough (well not really but I accept it)

You have piqued my interest. If you care to divulge the details, it would be interesting to know (a) how you brought in that cash (e.g., cashier's check in your name), (:D what did you do with it after you got it in country (e.g., deposited in the bank), and © why you have to prove you brought it in (e.g., to prove its ligitimacy, not money laundrying?) vice you or your wife simply paying cash for a condo.

Since you are married, I take it your wife changed her name on her Thai ID? If not, why can she not just buy it as a simple single Thai woman? However she get the money, she buys a cashier's check in her name payable to the seller....???

Of course, if you tried at first as a married couple the seller already knows ........ but still, I would think that could be an option depending upon how interested the developer is in selling to you. I say that because the couple across the street just bought their house in her Thai surname only with no such problems and the seller knew it was a Thai/Farang married couple.

Just curious, sorry can't offer any suggestions you haven't already thought of.

Correct me if I am wrong - as a family unit (either under your name, your wife's name or a combination of both) you own 3 condo's & are currently in the process of buying a 4th. This seems to be a fairly well thought out strategy, by yourself & your wife, for wealth creation to fund your current & future lifestyle. You have obviousely invested a considerable amount of time & effort in selecting & going through the purchasing processes to get these condo's.

So, my question is, why are you whining about such a relatively small inconvenience?

Why are you moaning about having to pay 70 quid?

If you don't want to drive take the train.

Stay overnight, go to a show, try to enjoy yourself.

This is for your future, this is a significant investment for you & you are whinging about 70 quid & a day of your time.

What do you want from us? Sympathy?

Chin up old chap, soldier on, it will all be over soon.

Am I missing something here ? Why would you tell them it's not your money since you can

own a condo in your own name (within the 49% rule).

Naka.

Because if you buy and don't signature, you can claim some rights if divorced. If you signature in advance that it is not your money the wife has it easier to ripp you off complete.

Weren't getting enough sympathy in the Real Estate forum so figured you'd post the same story in the general forum?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186545

Oh dear yes my life is so sad I had to do this......... get real I wanted to know if other folk had this sort of trouble with UK embassies mis information abounds in embassies here too, they didnt know HULL could do it and my local embassy were clueless stating only London.

Yes it started in real estate but has become more than a real estate issue it has become a crap service from the UK embassies story that might help others in s similar situation and as such in an alledged 1st world country I was surprised it happened over something relatively simple. I expect it in Thailand, I had hoped it would be different here.

I have used Hull before for visas and they have always replied to e mails unlike the London Embassy. Maybe its the staff there?

Correct me if I am wrong - as a family unit (either under your name, your wife's name or a combination of both) you own 3 condo's & are currently in the process of buying a 4th. This seems to be a fairly well thought out strategy, by yourself & your wife, for wealth creation to fund your current & future lifestyle. You have obviousely invested a considerable amount of time & effort in selecting & going through the purchasing processes to get these condo's.

So, my question is, why are you whining about such a relatively small inconvenience?

Why are you moaning about having to pay 70 quid?

If you don't want to drive take the train.

Stay overnight, go to a show, try to enjoy yourself.

This is for your future, this is a significant investment for you & you are whinging about 70 quid & a day of your time.

What do you want from us? Sympathy?

Chin up old chap, soldier on, it will all be over soon.

Dear me I suppose you like to overcomplicate your life to?

It can be done simply by post to Hull and MAYBE THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY HELP ANYONE ELSE IN THE SAME POSITION BUT YOU KNOW WHAT NEXT TIME LIKE IRENE I WONT BOTHER TELLING YOU THE SOLUTION.

SOMETIMES THIS BOARD WHICH SHOULD BE HELPING OTHERS SEEMS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

You have piqued my interest. If you care to divulge the details, it would be interesting to know (a) how you brought in that cash (e.g., cashier's check in your name), ( :D what did you do with it after you got it in country (e.g., deposited in the bank), and © why you have to prove you brought it in (e.g., to prove its ligitimacy, not money laundrying?) vice you or your wife simply paying cash for a condo.

Since you are married, I take it your wife changed her name on her Thai ID? If not, why can she not just buy it as a simple single Thai woman? However she get the money, she buys a cashier's check in her name payable to the seller....???

Of course, if you tried at first as a married couple the seller already knows ........ but still, I would think that could be an option depending upon how interested the developer is in selling to you. I say that because the couple across the street just bought their house in her Thai surname only with no such problems and the seller knew it was a Thai/Farang married couple.

Just curious, sorry can't offer any suggestions you haven't already thought of.

(a) Cash in my pocket can bring 10000 euros legally form the UK without declaring i come several times a year and change it at "super rich" for the best rates at the time, some of the condos have been bought with direct bank transfer from the UK.

The money was put in our JOINT Kasikorn account after being changed in cash and then into a cashiers cheque to the owner (not a developer the units amost 2 years old)

Yes wifes ID is has my surname the seller did not know until she was at the bank with them paying off their bank loan and giving us the Chanote, no lawyers involved just some "trust" something that does still exist with some Thais.

I find it odd i can show "super rich" money changing receipts and Joint account but still no good, money must be transferred from over seas......... well i did but personally.

Have a read of your original post.

Trying to help someone?

Nothing helpful in there at all - just a childish whine.

No mention of Hull & how straighforward & easy it really is - nothing complicated.

You went off half-cocked & are now back-peddling furiousely.

Have a read of your original post.

Trying to help someone?

Nothing helpful in there at all - just a childish whine.

No mention of Hull & how straighforward & easy it really is - nothing complicated.

You went off half-cocked & are now back-peddling furiousely.

Ok lets as usual let it degenerate inot a war of words.

I called the BIRMINGHAM embassy yesterday they said they could not do it only LONDON could, I called London and they said I must come in person only the embassy there could do it, a round trip for me of approximately 260 miles minimum, in fact it took quite a few calls to them.

7 days PREVIOUSLY I had e mailed HULL (woul you like a copy of this mail?) and had no reply until yesterday 7 days later (thought they would not repl etc) all after I had spoken to the 2 embassies.

SURELY BOTH EMBASSIES COULD HAVE SAID OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU CAN DO IT BY POST AT HULL.

Do you want to stll continue your pointless and unhelpful comments??

Sorry you only have time to make unhelpful comments except criticism.

Im in the Uk the wifes in Bangkok we have just bought another condo but I have to sign a letter of confirmation stating its "not my money".Hilarious in itself and yes I know the rules.

Ridiculously it can only be done at the Thai Embassy in London, mut be great if you live in the Shetlands I live in Birminham so its a 130+ odd mile trip each way and into the London Congestion charging zone to do this.

So that will be about £40 in fuel, £10 congestion charge, £10 parking if lucky and £10 to sign the paper.

Jeee they are so helpful at the embassy the semi fluent girl who answered the phone said just bring your passport?????????? realy I said how about the paperwork and my marriage certificate Im sure she hasnt a clue but she will put me through to someone who knows, line goes dead 3 times no one there GREAT Reckon they all need a god kick up the arse!!

Unhelpful to say the least are they all like this then??

You seem to have conviently forgotten what you wrote in your first post. It is quoted above for your reference.

Line 1: In the last sentence on this line you allude to the hilarity of the situation, but I think you mean the absurdity of the situation, that it is illogical, makes no sense, but these are rules, bureacracy at work & indicate that you are aware of these rules.

Line 2: You state that it is ridiculous, a bit of sarcasm about the poor people living in the Shetlands coupled with a brief description of the effort required by yourself. This poorly constructed sentence leaves us with the impression that a certain sense of bitterness is felt by yourself, but taken in isolation can probably be ignored.

Line 4: Your frustration finally breaks through & immediately brings into focus the sentiment expressed in Line 2 & now the only valid interpretation that the reader can come to is that the you have started to whine.

Line 5: If there is any doubt that you are whining, it has been well & truly dispelled. Interestingly you try to generate sympathy by listing your projected costs, but it only serves to highlight the trivialness of these costs in relation to the cost of buying a condo.

Line 6 & 7: Sarcasm, insult, degradation of character all rear their ugly head here, all conviently justified by the loss of telephone contact. Of course this sentence would not be complete without the summary dispensing of 'justice' by way of a swift kick up the arse, if not in actual reality, but rather in sentiment. Not just the poor lass on the phone but the whole bloody lot of them.

Line 8: Finally, you pose a question. Is this a rhetorical question we have to ask ourselves, requiring no answer, just expressions of sympathy? Or if an answer is required is there only one that will be acceptable to you?

I obviousely chose the one you did not care to hear.

In retrosect I should have answered in one word - Hull.