Possible Keyboard Problem

marquess

I think that I might possibly be heading for a permanent keyboard error. Of late it has began to jam and make continuous bleeping noise. I wouldn't mind having a new keyboard, one with the lights under the keys. Are they difficult to install and how much are they?

I think that I might possibly be heading for a permanent keyboard error. Of late it has began to jam and make continuous bleeping noise. I wouldn't mind having a new keyboard, one with the lights under the keys. Are they difficult to install and how much are they?

Finding one with the lights under the keys might take a bit of searching, and they tend to be a bit more expensive.

But in general, replacing any keyboard is a doddle. - Just check the connector on your current keyboard. Assuming the PC is less than 10 years old, it will be either a small circular connector (called PS2 connector), or it will be a USB keyboard (small rectangular connector).

You can either buy a new keyboard with the same connector (or if you've got spare USB ports, a USB keyboard) to replace your existing one. It should simply be a matter of plugging it in, and switching the PC on. If you do get one with lighted keys, it might also have a power supply, but the power supply would only be for the lights, not for the keyboard to actually work.

The only other issue would be if you get one with slightly different key symbols. (i.e. You get a Thai keyboard to replace an old UK keyboard). - things like quotes, and the hash symbol are in different places, so you have to go into control panel and set the keyboard to US (when typing English), and, usually Thai Kedmanee for Thai.